FA Competitions 21-22

Mek

Youth Team Sub
Ollie Bayliss has tweeted that entries can now be taken for 21-22.

A reply to his tweet from the Lakenheath Manager, Ben Cowling who has downloaded the entry form, suggests that there has been a change to the entry criteria (you will need to look at his tweets to find it):

''Interesting that the FA Cup qualification rules have changed, no guarantee of entry for Step 5 clubs next season.......On the Entry Criteria and Ground Standards document. Came with the entry email from the FA this afternoon. Definitely a change of wording from previous years."

John Treleven

First Team Starter
FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION

F.A. CUP, F.A. TROPHY, F.A. VASE & F.A. YOUTH CUP 2021-22

ENTRY CRITERIA

F.A. CUP

Clubs to be automatically accepted subject to the ground fully conforming to the minimum standard:
Clubs in the Premier League, Football League and in Steps 1-4 of the National League System.
Clubs must also be a participant in either the F.A. Trophy or Vase competitions in season 2021-22. (Not applicable for PL & EFL Clubs)
A Club participating at Step 5 or 6 in season 2020-21, or that has applied for entry into Step 6 or higher for 2021-22, shall be permitted to apply for entry. However, acceptance into the competition will be subject to availability of places, which cannot be guaranteed.

F.A. TROPHY

Entry is restricted to clubs participating in Steps 1-4 subject to the ground fully conforming to the minimum standard. A club moving between Steps 4 and 5 will be moved accordingly between the Trophy and Vase.

F.A. VASE

Clubs to be automatically accepted subject to the ground fully conforming to the minimum standard:
Clubs in Steps 5 & 6. A club participating below Step 6 in 2020-21 shall only be permitted to apply for entry if it has applied for promotion to Step 6 for season 2021-22. However, acceptance will be subject to such club receiving promotion to Step 6 for season 2021-22.

F.A. YOUTH CUP

Clubs automatically accepted subject to the ground fully conforming to the minimum standard:
Clubs participating in the FA Cup, Trophy or Vase in season 2021-22.
Clubs participating in a recognised Youth League or suitable competition in season 2021-22 that is sanctioned by the F.A. or an affiliated Association.
Youth teams representing a club must be properly integrated, in the opinion of the F.A. with the club.

MINIMUM GROUND STANDARDS

F.A. CUP

Clubs must have a ground where all home first team League matches are played, which fully conforms to a “G” grade (appropriate to Step 6 or higher).

F.A. VASE

Clubs must have a ground where all home first team League matches are played, which fully conforms to a “H” grade (appropriate to entry to Step 6 or higher).

Any Club with a ground which does not fully conform to the minimum ground standard, as referenced above, WILL NOT be permitted entry into a competition by nominating an alternative ground solely for the purpose of being used in F.A. competitions.

Details of the F.A. National Ground Grading requirements can be found under the following link -

Last edited:

Sungater

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
None
Sad that some clubs at step 5 & 6 for whom the F.A. Cup means so much will be excluded while others, higher up the food chain, who regard it as a bit of a nuisance &/or an opportunity to give reserve (sorry squad) players a run out, are included.

Inevitable I know, but a shame none the less.

MattRam

Junior Team Star
I agree, except for the inevitable bit.
I don't see any reason in a "normal" season why entry couldn't be expanded, however I guess the inevitable is fair enough given present and possible future uncertainty.
You are exactly right that the FA Cup means a great deal to clubs at lower steps/levels

Bigaitch

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
None in particular
I agree, except for the inevitable bit.
I don't see any reason in a "normal" season why entry couldn't be expanded, however I guess the inevitable is fair enough given present and possible future uncertainty.
You are exactly right that the FA Cup means a great deal to clubs at lower steps/levels
Why can’t they just introduce another preliminary round or expand the extra preliminary round to capture all those clubs at step 5 and 6? (First teams only).
It means so much to the players, management , officials and supporters to play in the cup, but apparently The FA’s strap line of ‘For all’ perhaps does not apply....

SimonUpNorth

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
North West non-league
I'd like to see a summer tournament for Step 6 and "7" sides as a qualifier for the FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round - maybe one tournament per city region/county and the winner (or top 2 if a big region) of each takes a place in the qualifying rounds. Or if not a summer tournament, you could double up a version of a county cup from the previous season to be the qualifier maybe, with the highest placed side below Step 5 goes into FA Cup?

Any club entering without a suitable floodlit ground must have agreement to play at one for any qualifying rounds they may later play in. Then anyone that wants to play can make the necessary arrangements and do so. Definitely then it would seem more inclusive to the lower sides.

John Treleven

First Team Starter
The Extra Preliminary Round is currently just for Level 9 & 10 (Step 5 & 6) teams
although this year they also had to push 14 Level 8 teams down in to it to get it to "work"

There were still 136 byes in that round on top of the 737 acceptances that they seem to have set as the limit.
Usually it is 736 but I think there was a tie for last team in.

Why 736 though?, is that the number of clubs there will be above a certain level in the future?

Scrap those byes and the number accepted could be raised from 737 to 873 (up 18%) without needing to fit in an extra round

The Gasworks End

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Whitstable Town
Southampton
I believe 736 teams is just an arbitrary number the FA have settled on, it fits how they work the draw and they have no interest in increasing the number of entrants as despite the obvious benefits to lower level clubs they are not high up on the FA’s agenda. Format could easily be rejigged to include all clubs at step 6.

Brightside

Reserve Team Sub
736 Teams doesn't represent anything Level wise.

There are currently 662 teams Level 1 to Level 9 (Step 5) & 1033 teams Level 1 to Level 10 (Step 6)

After the restructure, if the divisions are full there will be 732 teams Level 1 to Level 9 (Step 5) & 1072 teams Level 1 to Level 10 (Step 6)

I think it will need re-jigging so that all 1072 teams (less the reserve teams) are able to enter.

Brightside

Reserve Team Sub
I'd like to see something like this

Number of FixturesRoundNumber of ClubsClubs RemainingNew Entries This RoundLevel
356​
Extra Preliminary Round
712​
1072 → 716
712​
Levels 9 & 10
232​
Preliminary Round
464​
716 → 484
108​
Level 8Top 13/14 @ Level 8
160​
First Qualifying Round
320​
484 → 324
88​
Level 7
104​
Second Qualifying Round
208​
324 → 220
48​
Level 6
64​
Third Qualifying Round
128​
220 → 156
24​
Level 5
32​
Fourth Qualifying Round
64​
156 → 124
40​
1st round
80​
124 → 84
48​
Levels 3 & 4
20​
2nd round
40​
84 → 64
32​
3rd round
64​
64 → 32
44​
Levels 1 & 2
16​
4th round
32​
32 → 16
8​
5th round
16​
16 → 8
4​
6th round
8​
8 → 4
2​
Semi
4​
4 → 2
1​
Final
2​
2 → 1

For every Level 9 or 10 vacancy or club that doesn't enter or are ineligible (Reserve Teams), an additional Level 8 club would be exempt from the Extra Preliminary Round.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
I like it too, but does that mean the National League teams entering one round earlier. They are not going to like that!

Brightside

Reserve Team Sub
I like it too, but does that mean the National League teams entering one round earlier. They are not going to like that!

It does,

One of the following will happen;

A) Teams will need to come in a round earlier (Such as National League in my example)
B) There will need to be an Extra Extra Preliminary Round for Steps 5 & 6
C) They will keep the exemptions similar to they are now, which means even more Step 4 teams will have to enter with Step 5 & 6 Teams
D) There will be fewer entries than present (Due to Step 2 going from 44 to 48 & Step 4 going from 120 to 160)

BDA_85

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
AFC Dunstable
Who will benefit from the above proposals? If it's not the Prem/Champ then I can't see there being widespread amendments made.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks