Extra Time in the FA Cup....in the late 19th century

CanalEnder

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Worksop Town FC
Barnstoneworth United FC
Been looking through some stat's for the FA Cup in the 1890s. Mainly due to the fact that that era was when my club, Worksop Town first entered the FA Cup (1893/4 was their first entry). Games in the qualifying rounds and the competition proper (usually) seemed to go into extra time in the first game if scores were level, only going to a replay if no conclusion after ET. Was the this done by mutual agreement at the time, or was it then the actual rule? obviously midweek games would have to be an afternoon kick off, so I can see why, the interests of practicality they would do that. However, on some occasions it appeared that they went straight to a replay after 90 mins w/o playing the ET. That could, of course, merely be because the records don't exist to prove it one way or the other. Alternatively it suggests a level of mutual agreement was used - anyone know what the definitive answer is?

CanalEnder

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Worksop Town FC
Barnstoneworth United FC
It was meant to be mutually agreed before the start until extra time was made compulsory in 1896
Thanks John, interesting. So, do you know how long it stayed that way after 1896?, until it was changed to straight to replay after 90 mins of the first match?

Last edited:

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks