Euro 2021

Chris1963

First Team Sub
I've just received an e-mail from UEFA informing me that the ticket which I had booked for the Wembley game on Saturday 26th June has been cancelled and that my money will be refunded. From what I've read in the media, it seems that this is happening to a lot of people. But I had booked that ticket before the pandemic began and as things have turned out, there will now be plenty of non-league matches to attend in the UK that day, so perhaps a blessing in disguise?

Noanorak

Junior Team Regular
I've just received an e-mail from UEFA informing me that the ticket which I had booked for the Wembley game on Saturday 26th June has been cancelled and that my money will be refunded. From what I've read in the media, it seems that this is happening to a lot of people. But I had booked that ticket before the pandemic began and as things have turned out, there will now be plenty of non-league matches to attend in the UK that day, so perhaps a blessing in disguise?
Wasn't going to go, irrespective of any ballot outcome, as I feel it's inappropriate to do so, so the fact I checked my junk folder and discovered I'll be 125 Euro up on the deal, once they get around to sorting it out is welcome!

Canary fan

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Norwich City
Wasn't going to go, irrespective of any ballot outcome, as I feel it's inappropriate to do so, so the fact I checked my junk folder and discovered I'll be 125 Euro up on the deal, once they get around to sorting it out is welcome!
Why didn’t you just cancel it then a couple of weeks ago when you were given the opportunity?

Noanorak

Junior Team Regular
Why didn’t you just cancel it then a couple of weeks ago when you were given the opportunity?
Maybe I WAS 'given the opportunity' but maybe there's more important things in life than scouring junk folders for news of something I'd written off anyway and perhaps I was focused on that. Didn't need to do anything anyway. I'm not going and I get my money back without having to do anything. I wasn't going and expected nothing back...now looks like I will...a bonus.

Last edited:

Noanorak

Junior Team Regular
Or worrying about a paltry 125€.
Suppose it depends on how much you have certain aspects of life in a healthy perspective. (or not.) It beggars belief what some people think is important, not just here, but in the real world too. ' Paltry' is an odd description for the sum mentioned, but then it could just be a failed attempt at side-splitting humour. Paltry it isn't, but compared to many things, insignificant.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Some stats (dependent on me counting accurately) based on the home club of each player.
Note that although squad sizes are 26, the total number of players is two short as Spain have declared a squad of 24 players

Number of countries with players from their clubs in Euro 2021: 34 (including Wales, although clubs are in English Leagues)
Most are European, the exceptions
Canada - One player (Lassi Lappalainen) in the Finnish Squad
China - Three players in two squads, Austria (Marko Arnautovic) and Sweden (Gustav Svensson, Markus Danielson)
Japan - One Player, Thomas Vermaelen in the Belgian squad
USA - Six Players in four squads: Finland (Robin Lod and Jukka Raitala). Poland (P. Frankowski). Slovakia (Jan Gregus), Hungary (Daniel Gazdag, Szabolcs Schon).

Minnesota United are the most affected team outside Europe, with three players away

23 of the squads have players from the English Leagues, Russia being the exception, this is 152 (including the six at Cardiff and Swansea). Next highest are Germany (91 players in 19 squads) and Italy (75 players in 20 squads)

Every squad has at least one home based player. For Finland and Slovakia, it is exactly one, Belgium and Austria 2, North Macedonia and Sweden 3
At the opposite end of the scale, 23 England players play in England, Italy and Russia have 22 home based players

The English squad is drawn from just three country's leagues, England, Germany and Spain. Similarly the Scottish squad is from three countries, Scotland, England and Belgium and the Italians from Italy, England and France. My count for Wales is 4, but that is because at this point Cardiff and Swansea were not considered English. They also have Dylan Levitt in Croatia and Aaron Ramsey in Italy

Finland draws its squad from 16 countries, North Macedonia 14 and Slovakia 13

Based on data shown on Wikipedia

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
The Russians don't like the Ukrainian Shirts

Ukraine Shirts

Do you think they will Cry-me-a river over this?
PS - bring back Veteran, so as I don't have to do the puns

007Dale

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Leicester City, St Albans City
The Russians don't like the Ukrainian Shirts

Ukraine Shirts

Do you think they will Cry-me-a river over this?
PS - bring back Veteran, so as I don't have to do the puns
Not sure what results have to happen for the two to end up playing each other, but let’s hope it can be avoided.

Is it provocative? Yes
Is it depicting the internationally recognised boundary of Ukraine? Yes

Kirby Knitters

First Team Regular
In other words they just need to rid the shirts of the wording "Glory to heroes" The international community does not recognise the disputed areas as Russian territories so i can't see any other problems with them.

TowlawTom

Youth Team Regular
Not sure what results have to happen for the two to end up playing each other, but let’s hope it can be avoided.

Is it provocative? Yes
Is it depicting the internationally recognised boundary of Ukraine? Yes
Quarter finals winner of group B v runner up of group C or vice versa.

Tykeoldboy

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Doncaster Rovers
Everton
Turkey were poor tonight. Either the Italians made them look poor or they are just a rubbish team. I was inpressed by Italy, they played with flair which is unusual for Italian national sides this early in a finals.

buncranaboy

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Bostock Stanley, Barnstoneworth United
Turkey were poor tonight. Either the Italians made them look poor or they are just a rubbish team. I was inpressed by Italy, they played with flair which is unusual for Italian national sides this early in a finals.
Any nation who can win 9 on the trot without conceding, and who have a striker who has scored 150 goals in 5 seasons at Lazio can't be underestimated.

Bigaitch

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
None in particular
Were Turkey poor or were Italy that good? I can’t make my mind up to be honest. I did enjoy the game though, played in good spirit and enjoyable. Good to hear a crowd too..👍👍

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
It seemed to me that Turkey were trying to play a containing game from the start and had very little to offer.
Once behind, this is pointless, and Italy then proved superior.

Turkey will need to up their game in the next two matches, but it does not take a lot to get through when four of six third places makes it. So a draw and a win in the other games would be enough

windydcfc

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Derby County, England & Borussia Mönchengladbach
It seemed to me that Turkey were trying to play a containing game from the start and had very little to offer.
Once behind, this is pointless, and Italy then proved superior.

Turkey will need to up their game in the next two matches, but it does not take a lot to get through when four of six third places makes it. So a draw and a win in the other games would be enough
Turkey’s next two games are in Baku and it’ll almost be like home games for them. I’m sure they’ll improve in front of a predominantly Turkish crowd. Plus they’ll be used to playing in the extremely hot 🥵 conditions.

Tykeoldboy

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Doncaster Rovers
Everton
Wales did what they had to do and not lose to Switzerland.. I wasn't impressed with Wales and they made too many mistakes at the back.

TowlawTom

Youth Team Regular
Are Savage and Jenas seriously the best 2 co- commentators the BBC can employ?
I'm now very close to joining the defund the BBC bandwagon!

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock