Euro 2021

Swindon Addick

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Charlton Athletic, Cambridge City
If one of today's groups comes up with the combination of results that means the third placed side loses out to Ukraine, then Ukraine's qualification for the second round will be entirely down to Russia having beaten Finland. Which would be quite amusing given what Russia and Ukraine think about each other.
Following Slovakia's implosion tonight, I got my wish. Ukraine scrape through, and would have gone out if Russia hadn't scored against Finland.

jbattheground

Youth Team Starter
Only if we ignore the results of finals matches against them in the last 51 years...
I think we should ignore them. There have only been four finals games across that timespan, so a tiny sample size. There are no survivors in the England side from the last of those meetings, albeit two from Germany.

With the time that has passed, the wider historical context to the rivalry shouldn't be transferred to the players as undue baggage. For them it should just be another big game, albeit it happens to be against the team their gaffer took a crap penalty against before a lot of them were born.

007Dale

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Leicester City, St Albans City
I think we should ignore them. There have only been four finals games across that timespan, so a tiny sample size. There are no survivors in the England side from the last of those meetings, albeit two from Germany.

With the time that has passed, the wider historical context to the rivalry shouldn't be transferred to the players as undue baggage. For them it should just be another big game, albeit it happens to be against the team their gaffer took a crap penalty against before a lot of them were born.

With the long wait until Tuesday for the game, expect a gradual build up of unjustified optimism and expectation.

I’ve seen nothing from England to suggest we can beat a decent team, I suppose the question is, are Germany a decent team at the minute?

For what it’s worth, I’m predicting a defeat, probably unfortunate, possibly lucky, but we’ll have given it a good go (according to the pundits analysis of the game).

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
I just hope we get nothing like this

1624518654199.png

Canary fan

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Norwich City
With the long wait until Tuesday for the game, expect a gradual build up of unjustified optimism and expectation.

I’ve seen nothing from England to suggest we can beat a decent team, I suppose the question is, are Germany a decent team at the minute?

For what it’s worth, I’m predicting a defeat, probably unfortunate, possibly lucky, but we’ll have given it a good go (according to the pundits analysis of the game).
Presumably you don’t regard Croatia as decent?

Mr. T

Reserve Team Sub

Thank you at least for a considered response.

The burden of history and the weight of expectation can do funny things to the minds of men. The players might say to the media that the past is just the past but they'll do well to block their ears to the media noise.

We are being told that the German side is the worst since 2000 but they still put four past Portugal. What does that say about Portugal – an ordinary team propped up by one man?

England will fail again if they don't show some initiative. The second half displays in all of their group games were really poor.

windydcfc

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Derby County, England & Borussia Mönchengladbach
Other than Germany in the last 16 , England have winnable games through to the final with a possible meeting with Wales in the SF.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 are definitely in the easier half of the draw. The Dutch 🇳🇱 are also in England’s side of the draw and are also a potential SF opponent. It probably won’t come to that though, as they’ll probably lose to Germany 🇩🇪on penalties again!

Swindon Addick

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Charlton Athletic, Cambridge City
It's the easier half of the draw, but Germany, Sweden, Netherlands isn't an easy path, the way those teams are playing. Germany may actually be the easiest of them.

Canary fan

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Norwich City
It's the easier half of the draw, but Germany, Sweden, Netherlands isn't an easy path, the way those teams are playing. Germany may actually be the easiest of them.
The key seems to be avoiding Italy as they are already looking like winners. We have been deprived of an Italy France final which would have been the most representative of the quality seen in the tournament.

Kirby Knitters

First Team Star
Fan talk for a minute, and you really can't help but feel sorry for some of the Welsh fans who have been turned back from Schipol Airport this morning. I have no sympathy for any that have travelled from the UK as they should have known better but some have just spent 15 days in Azerbaijan where apparently there is no problem with flying to the Netherlands from. Rules is rules i suppose and the Dutch government did say that none would be admitted and although the fans are saying they have been treated unfairly they must have known deep down what would happen.

jbattheground

Youth Team Starter
Thank you at least for a considered response.

The burden of history and the weight of expectation can do funny things to the minds of men. The players might say to the media that the past is just the past but they'll do well to block their ears to the media noise.

We are being told that the German side is the worst since 2000 but they still put four past Portugal. What does that say about Portugal – an ordinary team propped up by one man?

England will fail again if they don't show some initiative. The second half displays in all of their group games were really poor.

Maybe that's exactly what Portugal are, but as a huge fan of Diogo Jota I would say that :)

Germany are clearly an inconsistent team, their results across the last year or two tell us that. I think they have a good variety of attacking options to use if their first 11 aren't doing it, but their problems in defence run deeper than England's. Should be an interesting game and a tough one to call - on pure football terms I'd have Germany as very narrow favourites.

johnr

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
NUFC (retired)
Fan talk for a minute, and you really can't help but feel sorry for some of the Welsh fans who have been turned back from Schipol Airport this morning. I have no sympathy for any that have travelled from the UK as they should have known better but some have just spent 15 days in Azerbaijan where apparently there is no problem with flying to the Netherlands from. Rules is rules i suppose and the Dutch government did say that none would be admitted and although the fans are saying they have been treated unfairly they must have known deep down what would happen.
Basically you have to prove you will leave in 12 hours otherwise quarantine, the Danish fans are massing on the German border to get in and out OK

The vulture

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Groundhog
Last night's Austria v Italy game was the first that I have seen where the use of VAR was cumbersome, intrusive and basically affecting the flow of the game.

The officials involved, ours. After a season of using it badly in the Premier league they took their incompetence to the European competition.

Tykeoldboy

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Doncaster Rovers
Everton
I'm impressed with the stadium in Budapest, from what I've at seen on the telly, and if it doesn't get to host the Euro2020 final, it is UEFA's selected alternative, then it should host a Champions League final within the next few years. It already as the Europa League final in 2023 but it does deserve the Champions League final.

windydcfc

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Derby County, England & Borussia Mönchengladbach
I'm impressed with the stadium in Budapest, from what I've at seen on the telly, and if it doesn't get to host the Euro2020 final, it is UEFA's selected alternative, then it should host a Champions League final within the next few years. It already as the Europa League final in 2023 but it does deserve the Champions League final.
Don’t you think that Viktor Orbán the countries PM views, might make it unlikely that they’ll hold any major events? UEFA isn’t as bent as FIFA on things like this.

The vulture

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Groundhog
The commentator in the Croatia v Spain game mentioned there being more own goals in this tournament than all the previous Euros put together. Assume he is correct.

Is that not indicative of all the buggering about passing the ball about across your own penalty area?

Give me Pepe any day, the ball and the fancy dan forward ending up being wellied into the crowd when appropriate.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock