Euro 2021

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
I have just read the following in the Athletic - Full Article - paywall

Football supporters have just 12 days to apply for a refund for Euro 2020 tickets or face losing their money should fixtures be moved amid growing doubts over the tournament’s multi-city format.

On Thursday, governing body UEFA updated their ticketing terms and conditions. No refunds will be issued for fans who are unable to attend fixtures that are moved to different stadiums that have capacity for supporters.

Instead, supporters have until January 26 to apply for a refund, long before a decision is made on the tournament’s format and where fixtures ultimately take place.

-----------------------
Clearly I cannot copy more from the original piece, but it appears the rules are
1) All tickets can be refunded until January 26
2) Refunds will still happen for matches behind closed doors
3) No refunds if the match is moved to another stadium (which could be in another country), as tickets will remain valid
4) Decisions as to the format of the tournament are not being made until March

Steveb

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
Had an email from UEFA late yesterday, although it's far from easy to spot the important information, ie that unless you ask for your money back now, if the game(s) you have tickets for are subsequently moved to another country (with fans allowed) you won't get a refund.

I have tickets for one game at Wembley. I'll be getting my money back rather than take the chance.

That said, I can't see the tournament being played anywhere in Europe in front of supporters.

Last edited:

jbattheground

Youth Team Regular
I'm in the same boat with tickets in Rome and Glasgow.

Financially, my greater issue is that my flight package (a BA round trip between London, Rome and Glasgow) was converted into airline credit. I've not had formal confirmation of the use by date of the credit but hopefully it will be extended beyond the usual 12 months. Also, the credit is in the names of the travellers (me and a mate), we're pretty unlikely to use hundreds of pounds of BA flight credit together in any other circumstances, so I need to find out what options I have to give us more flexibility.

If anyone has experience of these kind of issues from their international hopping exploits or whatever, and knows how best to approach BA/Expedia then advice welcome!

Wheelbarrow

Youth Team Star
Strong rumours that UEFA are looking to consolidate the whole of the Euros into one country and the one they think is best capable of doing that at the moment is England.

The planned date for the final ending of restrictions falls just before the end of the group stage assuming the same schedule is stuck to. Before that games would be subject to the 10,000 cap.

Tykeoldboy

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Doncaster Rovers
Everton
Would make sense to hold the event in England. Existing high quality stadiums, so even with restricted occupancy that would still allow around 10,000 fans per game. If the whole tournament was to be held behind closed doors then it doesn't' matter which single country hosts it.

Bigaitch

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
None in particular
Strong rumours that UEFA are looking to consolidate the whole of the Euros into one country and the one they think is best capable of doing that at the moment is England.

The planned date for the final ending of restrictions falls just before the end of the group stage assuming the same schedule is stuck to. Before that games would be subject to the 10,000 cap.

I read that UEFAs preferred option was keeping it as per the schedule but with reduced capacity. That was however in the British media so has to be treated with a pinch of salt.
We shall see....

johnr

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
NUFC (retired)
Apparently in January UEFA gave host nations until early April to submit plans for how they will accommodate fans. They still aspire to getting 50% capacities. So still quite a wait until decisions are made.

Obviously for a one nation opton it could also be held in Glasgow if Nicola agreed!!!

Groundhopper 101

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
AFC Totton
Interesting to see where this one goes. Time is running out but I reckon they will keep the multi country idea. Maybe 1 or 2 countries pull out but I think UEFA will try an keep it being played over multiple countries if they can. Most countries by Mid June will have some fans back into stadiums I imagine. Even if we are talking only 10% full etc.

Could they cancel peoples tickets if they aren't based in the country of where the game will take place? Might get a few more tickets on sale then potentially.

Chris1963

First Team Starter
Interesting to see where this one goes. Time is running out but I reckon they will keep the multi country idea. Maybe 1 or 2 countries pull out but I think UEFA will try an keep it being played over multiple countries if they can. Most countries by Mid June will have some fans back into stadiums I imagine. Even if we are talking only 10% full etc.

Could they cancel peoples tickets if they aren't based in the country of where the game will take place? Might get a few more tickets on sale then potentially.
I read somewhere the other week that UEFA are considering scrapping the validity of all tickets sold so far and starting the whole process all over again.

007Dale

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Leicester City, St Albans City
I just don’t see how a multi-country format works in a pandemic. It’s different to have 24 nations come to one country, go through one set of COVID protocols and then play. But for 24 countries to scatter themselves across 12 different countries and go through potentially different protocols every time they move seems challenging.
And whilst elite sports teams might have some exemptions, fans certainly won’t. At least if you have to quarantine on arrival, you do so only once in the one country event.
if nothing else, it doesn’t have a good look, doing all of these cross-border moves and potentially spreading new variants of the virus at the same time.
I’m not suggesting it has to be England, although the advantage is you could at least hold games in three UEFA countries within one set of border controls.

Bigaitch

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
None in particular
The biggest issue I have with this, and I speak as someone who has tickets for three games all of which are abroad, is the time UEFA are giving themselves.
To be making a decision in April for a mid June starting tournament is a potential logistics nightmare if they go down the route of scrapping the multi nation idea.
In addition, there will be scores of refunds etc to be weighed out unless current ticket holders are given priority of rescheduled games.
I have flights, accommodation etc booked and will lose out on the flights which I accept - but to secure an entire new schedule of stadia, accommodation, training facilities and ticket sales will be a massive task in that time span.

Wheelbarrow

Youth Team Star
I think the gist of UEFA email to ticket holders a few weeks ago was
a) you have a window now to redeem any tickets for a refund if you know you can't attend (or want to make that call now). That window has now passed.
b) If those games get moved (location and/or date) but are played before a crowd, your tickets remain valid and it's up to you to attend. I don't know if an official resale system will be in place or not. I believe tickets are named so potentially troublesome to just pass on if checks at the ground are rigorous.
c) If the games are played behind closed doors you will get a refund.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
I think the gist of UEFA email to ticket holders a few weeks ago was
a) you have a window now to redeem any tickets for a refund if you know you can't attend (or want to make that call now). That window has now passed.
b) If those games get moved (location and/or date) but are played before a crowd, your tickets remain valid and it's up to you to attend. I don't know if an official resale system will be in place or not. I believe tickets are named so potentially troublesome to just pass on if checks at the ground are rigorous.
c) If the games are played behind closed doors you will get a refund.
I think that refunds are available on games that are moved, at least by more than a small distance
However, if you have tickets for games in abroad and have not turned them in - and these are played before a crowd without restriction, then no refunds! Even if COVID restrictions say you cannot get there
UEFA have not said how they will play it if it is limited capacity. I.e. less than sold tickets - random draw, or volunteers followed by random draw

The Willows

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
The last e-mail I received stated that ticket buyers would be entitled to a full refund if the game was moved more than 50km from the original venue.

007Dale

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
In terms of hosting in a single country, the options are quite limited If you’d talking about countries that could host a 24 team tournament providing 12 stadia of at least a 30,000 capacity at a moments notice.

Off the top of my head, only Germany, France, Russia and England+

If you are looking for a country that has a roadmap to allow crowds by June, then that leaves 1, possibly 2 options.

England alone could probably offer up to 20 suitable stadium, albeit five of those are in London

But you could create stadium pairs for each group to lower travel even more;

Anfield / Old Trafford
St James’ Park (Newcastle) / Stadium of Light
Villa Park / Molineux
King Power / Pride Park
Wembley / Tottenham
St Mary’s / Stamford Bridge

That still leaves London Stadium / Emirates / Etihad / Riverside / Brammell Lane amongst others unused. Plus Hampden / Cardiff if expanding beyond England.

johnr

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
NUFC (retired)
In terms of hosting in a single country, the options are quite limited If you’d talking about countries that could host a 24 team tournament providing 12 stadia of at least a 30,000 capacity at a moments notice.

Off the top of my head, only Germany, France, Russia and England+

If you are looking for a country that has a roadmap to allow crowds by June, then that leaves 1, possibly 2 options.

England alone could probably offer up to 20 suitable stadium, albeit five of those are in London

But you could create stadium pairs for each group to lower travel even more;

Anfield / Old Trafford
St James’ Park (Newcastle) / Stadium of Light
Villa Park / Molineux
King Power / Pride Park
Wembley / Tottenham
St Mary’s / Stamford Bridge

That still leaves London Stadium / Emirates / Etihad / Riverside / Brammell Lane amongst others unused. Plus Hampden / Cardiff if expanding beyond England.
Don't forget Dublin if we are back to Common Travel area free movement

Groundhopper 101

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
AFC Totton
I read somewhere the other week that UEFA are considering scrapping the validity of all tickets sold so far and starting the whole process all over again.

I struggle to see the benefits with doing this really and with a ticket for one of the games at Wembley I hope it doesn't happen! They will already be giving out a lot of refunds.

Elite players are travelling around now for club competitions so come the summer this wont be an issue. The way it's going I think they will keep the format the same, but only allow fans in from the same country the game is in. Countries then decide on the capacities they can have in each ground by early May. Enough time to give out refunds and potentially sell any remaining tickets that are now available?

The problem a few of you have stated above is the time frame. It's 100 days to go now!

007Dale

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
According to BBC today, Glasgow and Dublin are set to lose hosting duties for Euro20 due to governments not guaranteeing fans can come in.

Wheelbarrow

Youth Team Star
An article in the Irish Examiner mentioned Glasgow and Bilbao being under greater scrutiny because of a lack of government assurances about spectators being allowed back by the time of the tournament. It says UEFA has told host cities it needs a minimum 25% attendance.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-40237511.html

Maybe this is UEFA seeing just how few of the games they need to shift, rather than the nuclear option of consolidating it in one country.

Chris1963

First Team Starter
I struggle to see the benefits with doing this really and with a ticket for one of the games at Wembley I hope it doesn't happen! They will already be giving out a lot of refunds.
I also have a ticket for Wembley (the last Saturday in June) so hopefully I won't lose out. If the capacity is restricted to 25% then I will have to hope that the remaining 75% of tickets sold were to people living outside England - an unlikely scenario, so I suppose UEFA may well have to do a ballot to decide the lucky 25% and refund the rest.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks