English teams in the Welsh Cup

Davetherave

Youth Team Star
I know lots of English teams used to enter the Welsh FA Cup. So which was the furthest team into England that played in it? I reckon it could be Bath City who are around 25 miles into England? Surely no one further away than that?

Hoddy1.

First Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
I know I'm off point but it's not often I can post it -

crewe_1936.jpg

Tim

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Stourbridge, Welton Rovers
I know lots of English teams used to enter the Welsh FA Cup. So which was the furthest team into England that played in it? I reckon it could be Bath City who are around 25 miles into England? Surely no one further away than that?
Brierley Hill Alliance to Welsh border: 51 miles.

Hoddy1.

First Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.

Brierley Hill / Worcester / Stourbridge . I'll let you measure the distances.

EDIT - Not forgetting my area - Northwich Vics , Davenham , South Liverpool , I am not bored enough to measure up , sure someone will.

Last edited:

Lord Lucan

Reserve Team Regular
Hednesford Town as well - last English club to appear in the final (except TNS of course).

Tim

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Hednesford Town as well - last English club to appear in the final (except TNS of course).
Just been suggested by Welsh Wisden - it's one mile closer than Brierley Hill I reckon.

paulh66

First Team Regular
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
Might as well give a shout out to the 1939 winners from 20-odd miles over the English border:

image.jpeg

Stafford Rangers must be pushing Brierley Hill and Hednesford close as the furthest into England.

Haywain

Youth Team Starter
Brierley Hill Alliance to Welsh border: 51 miles.
As the crow flies, no more than 36 miles. I note that Northwich Victoria and Kidderminster Harriers have also been in the final, but I would suggest that Hednesford Town at 40* miles must be one of the most distant teams to have entered - and they reached the final in 1991-92.

Edit: depends on which bit of the welsh border you measure to - looks to be 33 to the very nearest bit.

Last edited:

Belushi

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Coventry City
From our friends at Wikipedia:

Shrewsbury Town hold the record for the most times an English team has won the Cup (6), a record that will remain unbroken because English teams have not been allowed to compete in the cup since
1995. The last English winner of the Welsh Cup was Hereford United in 1990.

English teams had to be invited to enter the competition, there was no right of entry based on geographical closeness.

And Crewe Alexandra have won it twice!

Tim

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
As the crow flies, no more than 36 miles. I note that Northwich Victoria and Kidderminster Harriers have also been in the final, but I would suggest that Hednesford Town at 40* miles must be one of the most distant teams to have entered - and they reached the final in 1991-92.

Edit: depends on which bit of the welsh border you measure to - looks to be 33 to the very nearest bit.
As football teams can't travel by crow, I used a road map. I have now found a slightly shorter 48 mile trip.

Lionarm

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
The Lions.
All Kent teams.
My mind is quite clear on this.
The question was the team "furthest into England". Therefore this translates to the team furthest from ANY Welsh border point, in a straight line of course.
Tim's last point is valid but irrelevant to the calculation. So it would seem to be Brierley Hill Alliance then?

Belushi

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Coventry City
My mind is quite clear on this.
The question was the team "furthest into England". Therefore this translates to the team furthest from ANY Welsh border point, in a straight line of course.
Tim's last point is valid but irrelevant to the calculation. So it would seem to be Brierley Hill Alliance then?
Don't forget the English/Welsh border changed in 1974, when Monmouthshire became part of Wales.

Does this make any difference?

Haywain

Youth Team Starter
Don't forget the English/Welsh border changed in 1974, when Monmouthshire became part of Wales.

Does this make any difference?
Doubtful, as the nearest border point is not very close to Monmouthshire.

Swindon Addick

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Charlton Athletic, Cambridge City
Doubtful, as the nearest border point is not very close to Monmouthshire.
I think the point is that any club South-East of Wales, such as in the Bath area, which entered before 1974 would have been further from Wales than it is now, so there might in principle be a club in that area which was the furthest from Wales pre-1974, but isn't now that the border is at Chepstow rather than Newport.

Davetherave

Youth Team Star
So was Monmouthshire part of England before 1974? I have looked it up on wiki but it is inconclusive

Lionarm

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
The Lions.
All Kent teams.
Whether it was part of England is irrelevant. If you accept that it wasn't part of Wales, then the border was indeed in a different place until April 1974. It makes a difference in that distances before this time may have a different criterion, so it has to be factored in. Swindon Addick is correct but the difference is not as great as that what with a line over the Bristol Channel, so I don't think it affects the outcome.
Can someone who cares more than myself do the measurements?

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock