Edgware Town FC / Edgware FC

Swanstuff

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Staines Town
There was a longish thread on the old NLM about the rebirth of Edgware Town in 2014. But my question goes back to the name change in 1987.

According to Richard Rundle's FCHD, the original Edgware Town FC renamed itself Edgware FC for the 1972/3 season.
And then, for the 1987/8 season, it reverted to Edgware Town FC.

I have a suspicion that this second change was not quite as straightforward as that, and wonder if any members can shed any light on this.

I note the following "evidence":

• Middlesex County FA Handbook issued just prior to the 1987/8 season lists the club as EDGWARE FC (ie previous season's name).
  • Suburban Football League Handbook (of which their Reserves were members) issued at the same time also lists them as EDGWARE FC.
  • The Bureau of Non-League Football (BNFL vol 7 #1) reproduces parts of the FA Competitions bulletin, which refers to them as EDGWARE for their FA Cup Div 17 Preliminary Round result on 29 Aug '87. Likewise, they also appear as EDGWARE FC in the FA Vase Preliminary Round draw (scheduled for 19.9.87), which was produced some time after the Extra Preliminary Round was played on 5.9.87. However, the listing for the First Round draw (scheduled 17.10.87) - which appears to have been retyped by the BNLF rather than a straight copy from the FA, shows EDGWARE TOWN.
  • The same edition of the BNLF shows the club as EDGWARE TOWN in its (retyped) table and league cup draw for the Greene King Spartan Football League.
  • The BNLF vol 7 #2, produced shortly after 3.10.87, includes (retyped) draws for the Middlesex Senior Cup and Charity Cup, and the London Senior Cup, all using the name EDGWARE TOWN. The FA Vase details in this edition now show EDGWARE for the Preliminary Round result (19.9.87), but EDGWARE TOWN for the First Round fixture (17.10.87).
  • The Non League Club Directory 1988 [endorsed as 'official' by the Football Association, and showing clubs in their leagues for the new 1987/8 season] lists them as EDGWARE. (Inexplicably, they are still showing as EDGWARE in the directory section of the 1989 edition, but as EDGWARE TOWN in the league table it prints for the 1987/8 season just ended)! The county cup results for 1987/8 are also covered, with 'TOWN' being used in both Middlesex competitions, but not for the London one.
  • My club's reserve side met their reserves in home and away Suburban League matches in 1987/8. For the first, on 13.10.87, I had them recorded as EDGWARE Reserves, but by the return game on 4.3.88 I had them as EDGWARE TOWN Reserves, with a note that they had changed their name during the season.
  • James Wright in The FA Cup Club By Club Record Since 1945 shows the EDGWARE TOWN name effective as from the 1987/8 season, and EDGWARE immediately prior to that..
  • Conversely, Tony Brown's The F.A. Cup Complete Results 1871/72 to 1998/99 uses EDGWARE TOWN throughout, even when there seems little doubt that it should have been EDGWARE.
  • The [reformed] club's website simply says that the name change occurred in 1987, as does Wikipedia.

My suspicion (and it's only a guess) is that the club intended to change its name during the summer, but that something went wrong - maybe a form was incorrectly filled in, or was lost at the Middlesex FA, or was a bit late - leading to official publications in the summer still showing EDGWARE FC; however, quite early in the season, the matter seems to have been cleared up, and the new EDGWARE TOWN name came fully into use.

However, I would be interested to hear what actually happened, and if there is an exact date at which the change became official.

Goonerak

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Arsenal
There's a programme on ebay for the 1987-88 home game against Southgate Athletic. The front of the programme shows the name of the team as Edgware Town.

However, they could have had thousands of these covers printed in readiness for the season and then the name change didn't happen.

Goonerak

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Arsenal
I had a look on the British Newspaper Archive which has some local papers that covered Edgware at the time. The attached news item is from the Pinner Observer on 23 July 1987.

Every reference to the team in the local newspapers for 1987-88 calls the team Edgware Town.

Attachments

Swanstuff

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Staines Town
Hi Goonerak. Apologies for the delayed response but this is great information and very helpful. Thank you - Steve

I had a look on the British Newspaper Archive which has some local papers that covered Edgware at the time. The attached news item is from the Pinner Observer on 23 July 1987.

Every reference to the team in the local newspapers for 1987-88 calls the team Edgware Town.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks