Derby County

Footiemug

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Sussex teams
Crawley Town issued a great little programme for £1 last season.
I have a Plymouth Argyle newspaper programme from the 70's in my collection.

Cowden Andy

Junior Team Star
Yes, I remember the newspaper of the 70s - four or five clubs had them.

Major League Baseball teams tend to produce glossy booklets 3 or 4 times per six-month 162 game seasons but include a four-page more up to date insert in the centre.
Think Notts County may have had a newspaper can’t think of any other’s.

GoldenMiller34

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Millwall
Yes, I remember Rotherham and Shrewsbury from my sadly long ago disposed of programme collection. Apart from the other clubs mentioned by posters, I think Blackpool had one too. The print did come off and newspaper programmes were a devil of a job to keep in good condition.

Chris1963

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Oxford United / groundhopper
Think Oxford United's had something to do with Free Newspapers involvement with the club, a dummy run was done in 74/5 with a few freebee issues.

They used to issue thousands of the programme and deliver them on a Friday with the Oxford Journal. For half a season it was Sports Scene a weekly sports paper that happened to have Oxford line ups in it.
I remember the Oxford Journal (and in particular the weekly column that Hugh Curran wrote for it) but for some reason it wasn't delivered to our house until around 1977-78 so unfortunately we never got the Sports Scene. In fact, the first time I saw it or even knew of it was when my father bought a copy at the Oxford United v Bristol Rovers game in 1975. Mind you, if it was given away free with the Oxford Journal, I expect that must have affected matchday sales?

jrev61

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
None
A company based in Blackburn called Sportscene produced newspaper type programmes for several clubs including Northampton Town in 1979-80, towards the end of the season this changed into a large style more conventional programme. The newspaper editions were very poor quality, the later programmes weren't so bad. In the edition I have just looked in (Northampton v. Oldham League Cup 2nd round) there was an interesting article on the NASL giving the stadium details. Apparently Baltimore Colts played at Baltimore Parks and Recreation! Sportscene went bust in 1981-2 meaning several league games were programme less including Northampton v. Torquay (teamsheet). This also led to clubs issuing makeshift progs for the rest of the season, like the one I got at Shrewsbury v. Grimsby.

Romanoyd

Ball Boy / Girl
you can add Walsall, Rochdale and Doncaster Rovers to the newspaper list, all late 70's. Pompey also did one in 1973/4, may have preceded the Derby issues

Kingsmere

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Rampant Rangers
you can add Walsall, Rochdale and Doncaster Rovers to the newspaper list, all late 70's. Pompey also did one in 1973/4, may have preceded the Derby issues
Pompey was like Coventry of the period a A4 issue on semi glossy paper?.

jrev61

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
None
Think the first 'newspaper' programme was Oldham in 1966-7, although it wasn't actually on newspaper type paper and wasn't that big. Derby County's Ram newspaper first appeared in 1971-2 (Championship season) not sure if Brian Clough had anything to do with it. They even occasionally had topless pictures in it, especially the year when Miss Derby County was a page three model!

Chris1963

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Oxford United / groundhopper
Derby County's Ram newspaper first appeared in 1971-2 (Championship season) not sure if Brian Clough had anything to do with it.
I doubt whether Clough had anything to do with it, as, unlike other managers (Jimmy Hill, for example) he preferred to concentrate on the playing side.

krffji

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Colchester United
Might be useful to have a separate thread for clubs you are printing programmes for closed doors game. Colchester have joined the list this morning and Bradford City and Barrow of our early opponents are also issuing for all games.

Barnsley Dave

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Barnsley, Yorkshire CCC, Non-league in general
Barnsley did a full printed programme for the game v Luton titled Grove Street after the street where the ground is (for now at least, rumours abounding on social media and the Daily Fail about moving)

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks