Curtailment of this season - what if? any rules as yet?

CanalEnder

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Worksop Town FC
Barnstoneworth United FC
Steetley Colliery FC
Last season we saw the farce of some leagues finishing on PPG and others being declared "null & void". I don't want to re-open any debate on which was right or wrong of those two, however if it happens again there has to be one uniform consistent way of doing it. I don't care what it is tbh, just so long as it's consistent and that we all know what it is beforehand (or at least as early as pos this season). I did hear that the FA were working on something - has anyone heard what the debate is? if there's any outcome/decision?, or when there might be a decision?

noprogs

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
nonaligned
Last season we saw the farce of some leagues finishing on PPG and others being declared "null & void". I don't want to re-open any debate on which was right or wrong of those two, however if it happens again there has to be one uniform consistent way of doing it. I don't care what it is tbh, just so long as it's consistent and that we all know what it is beforehand (or at least as early as pos this season). I did hear that the FA were working on something - has anyone heard what the debate is? if there's any outcome/decision?, or when there might be a decision?
Ensure everybody plays one another once. That can be a minimum.

paulh66

First Team Star
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
I recall a few weeks ago some step 5/6 leagues were talking about what they might want to do. Because steps 3-6 will again require a uniform approach, I assume this is still an ongoing process under the FA's auspices. I don't know what timescale they're working to, and suspect other things are taking priority at the moment.

The NLS Regulations for this season have already been released and they make no mention of any change. That's not to say a change isn't still possible, even though the season is under way.

ChrisHFC

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Hendon
Ensure everybody plays one another once. That can be a minimum.
Won't happen given the originally announced fixtures for Hendon and Gosport Borough in the Southern League Premier South.

Hendon are scheduled to play Met Police as our 9th and 16th league matches, conversely we are not scheduled to play our first match against Gosport Borough until our 33rd league fixture on 3rd April 2021 (Easter Saturday). We finish our season of 40 matches with the return against Gosport.

I'm not aware of any changes to the original fixtures as yet, and I haven't had a chance to check the full SLPS league fixtures to see if any other clubs are in a similar position.

I am aware that postponements due to cup matches and/or weather can alter this, but scheduling the two matches in the last 8 games of a 40 match season for two clubs makes a mockery of the idea of playing each other once before starting the return fixtures.

paulh66

First Team Star
Team{s}
From the bits I read, 75% seemed to be the figure most commonly bandied about for implementing PPG rather than null and void. No idea if that meant only if 75% of the league's entire fixtures had been played, or each team had played at least 75% of their games, or something else.

007Dale

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Leicester City, St Albans City
Given where we seem to be heading with increased restrictions and more local lockdowns, I fear we’ll complete far less of this season than we did of last season.
They might be able to keep elite football going, but i’m not convinced non-league games will continue to be played for much longer.

jon b

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Sheffield Utd/Wed/FC
If we can't complete the coming season the question of how or if final league positions are decided will be important, but a much more serious concern than who wins promotion or suffers relegation will be how many clubs survive to take part in the subsequent campaign.

BDA_85

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
AFC Dunstable
Was some discussion about this at the Southern League AGM but nothing was agreed and there was no indication of how anything will be decided. I don't think the SL board have a say on how their leagues are resolved if there is another curtailment which is why the discussion was cut short.

WorksopBlade

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Worksop Town
Sheffield United
I'd be staggered if the season is completed so I'm sure the FA will be well aware of how unlikely it is. All about if fan gatherings are allowed.

WorksopBlade

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Worksop Town
Sheffield United
Why do you keep posting about this? Whatever will be will be. I agree, there will be problems this season but just let us enjoy what we have until told different.
Frustration mainly 😂

Atavistic

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Norwich City, Yaxley
There are some who seem to almost revel at the prospect of football being cancelled again, eagerly commenting on any instance of fans not social distancing and spreading doom-mongering about how the season is about to be scrapped again.

I prefer to be an optimist, so I can't say I understand it myself.

paulh66

First Team Star
Team{s}
If the likes of Ladderman and Atavistic are confused or have questions they're more likely to clear them up by engaging with or challenging whatever specific posts they have in mind, rather than just making vague insinuations that obviously can't elicit the insights they say they're lacking.

To bring the thread back to topic, and mindful of their respective connections to a couple of NLS clubs, I'd be keen to find out from both chaps what their understanding is of the current status of the recent deliberations amongst clubs(?), leagues and/or the FA of how things will be decided if we end up with another aborted season. My guess is that, for various reasons including the challenges of getting 20/21 underway and the current underlying uncertainties facing the game, any proposal to change from "null and void" won't be formalised for quite a while yet, never mind decided upon. But that's just a guess.

Any insights you can share with us?

Last edited:

Ladderman

Reserve Team Starter
How wonderfully patronising from the self-appointed NLM Covid expert. I am not confused, I am bored with the perverse pleasure some people seem to take at the prospect of football grinding to a halt again. It's not unique to football or this board. I guess some people enjoy a bit of drama.

I am not connected to BSFC any more. On occasions I hand money over at the turnstile and watch the game. I hope to continue to do that.

Last edited:

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Yes I didn't think you had anything to contribute to the topic.
And still have no idea how you and Atavistic have arrived at the very strange conclusion that "some people" (always in the rhetorical) are getting "perverse pleasure....at the prospect of football grinding to a halt again." Maybe better to engage in the actual discussions rather than allowing such wild misconceptions to take hold. Or just making stuff up.

Paul, do you have anything to contribute to this topic, other than a critique of others' thoughts?

Several posters on this thread need to take a step away until they have something new to say, rather than swiping at other posters, (who generally are also in this group).

The Don

Junior Team Star
Paul, do you have anything to contribute to this topic, other than a critique of others' thoughts?

Several posters on this thread need to take a step away until they have something new to say, rather than swiping at other posters, (who generally are also in this group).
I, like many others on this forum, tend to offer opinions but don’t expect them to be forensically pulled apart. They are, after all, opinions which may or may not be based on “so-called” facts and which I, personally, don’t feel the need to justify. So long as opinions don't personally attack or insult people, I respect them as one's personal views whether I agree with them or not.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Your opinions, and everyone else's opinions on the options, and pros and cons are of course welcomed. After all, it appears that we have establised that most leagues have not put a rule in place for the potential circumstances.

What is not welcomed is those that simply attack the posters without offering any ideas, or even state what they think is wrong with the ideas posted

My own view is that is almost inevitable that some teams in some leagues will not complete their programme, although I certainly hope that the worst predictions are not true.

Playing the numbers game, the numbers of persons known to be COVID positive is higher here in France than in the UK, but there seems less panic, and the game I went to today had a mix of those making more or less effort to distance themselves.

A typical view. A woman enters the ground and walks, masked towards the most populated area of the ground. She meets a friend there, takes off the mask, kisses the friend on both cheeks and then replaces her mask.

France is ahead of UK in suffering from the second wave. The UK seem to be taking more action and quicker (the reverse of what happened in the first wave, although again the UK could see the French and others suffering first).

In both countries, similar demands apply. They need to get people back to work and keep them working. Sport is a desirable, but expendable extra. However, it appears churlish to take action against sport when the virus is really being spread in the workplace, pubs and restaurants.

paulh66

First Team Star
Team{s}
In addition to #3, #5 and #14? Only to observe the apparent irony that one of the biggest and most emotive challenges football faced in its approach to settling 19/20 - namely the fact that the process hadn't clearly been defined at the start of the season - still doesn't look like it has, at least in the NLS. Unless "null and void" is now intentionally the default position. Subject to whatever the VNL decides. But then one of the most vociferous critics, the NWCL, has been unusually quiet (afaik). And so on....

So I see nothing wrong in people being curious about how this is playing out....if indeed anything is playing out!

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock