Covid-19 impact on the 91

paulh66

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
EFL statement just released on way forward: https://www.efl.com/news/2020/may/efl-statement-coronavirus-update2

The EFL Board has finalised the draft framework that would be adopted into EFL Regulations, in the event that a division is to make the decision to curtail its season as League Two indicated last Friday.

Clubs are now required to give the matter further consideration, before the Board formally proposes the appropriate Regulation changes, which will then be voted on by all Clubs.

The recommended framework is as follows:

1. Resuming the 2019/20 season with the existing format remains the most appropriate course of action from a sporting integrity perspective, but the Board accepts there are circumstances that may lead to curtailment (as has been demonstrated with League Two) or a situation subsequently transpires whereby the season is unable to conclude.

2. This means that, in the event of an early curtailment:

a. Final divisional placings should be determined on unweighted points per game (if required).
b. Promotion and relegation should be retained.
c. Play-Offs should be played in all circumstances but should not be extended (beyond four teams).

3. If a scenario arises whereby the Play-Offs cannot be played, the EFL Board will determine the appropriate course of action.

4. The Board considers that the majority required to curtail the 2019/20 season in any division should be 51%. Determining whether or not to curtail the season is a decision for each division to take.

5. The principle of relegation across all three divisions is integral to the integrity of the pyramid, from the Premier League down to the National League, provided we have assurances that the National League will start season 2020/21 (i.e. the relegated Club in League Two has somewhere to play).

6. Any regulatory solution should be relevant and specific to the current challenges posed by the COVID-19 outbreak and reach a conclusion that is clear and effective with the impact and justifications easy for all stakeholders to understand.

Last edited:

pokal02

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Barnet, Cockfosters
The key point here seems to be that 'only' a 51% vote is needed to curtail & decided on PPG. Pretty sure L1 would get that - even adding the bottom 3 to the 'Peterboro 6' won't give the dissenters enough votes.

Don't see why the NL shouldn't start at the same time as L2 - unless L2 insists on starting on time behind closed doors. Don't think the NL, or any non-league competition, will do this.

007Dale

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Leicester City, St Albans City
I suspect the FL will find a way to push Macclesfield to the bottom the pile. Then they probably won’t care when / if the NL starts.

Am I right that weighted PPG would have been favourable to Peterborough over Wycombe?

Mr. T

Junior Team Star
If I could be bothered to run through a couple of exercises I would but there's almost always someone who already has the answer: doesn't the Premier League's proposed 'weighted' ppg give the same result as simply adding together home and away ppg?

pokal02

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Barnet, Cockfosters
I think it does except relegating W Ham instead of Villa.

In the NL, Barnet have 7 home & 4 away left (and a better home record) - I don't know how far up that could push us - not into the top 2 but I can sense that Irn-Bru Cup trip to Brora or Formartine coming...

GoldenMiller34

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Millwall
I agree 100% with the EFL statement.

On balance, unweighted PPG is probably better than weighted PPG.

Point 3. allows the EFL to promote the 3rd (or 4th in L2) placed team if the Play-Offs cannot be played.

Let's hope the 71 clubs approve of these Regulation changes. I also hope L2 clubs reconsider their decision and decide to play on and L1 clubs decide to as well.

I'm sure the NL will start season 20/21 and, with two EFL vacancies, applying the same principle as the EFL I hope the NL holds Play-Offs (even if the current format is ridiculous) to decide who goes up with Barrow.

Provided there is no spike in the virus, of course. However, AstraZeneca said today it could provide a potential vaccine en masse by September and the OU trials are going well.

Also today, Rochdale received a friendly loan from the local council. Other clubs should apply for one and with the government-backed promise of extra money filtering down from the PL there is little excuse for any EFL club not to carry on (for sporting integrity - 132 years worth).

People in this country give up too easily - it's only been a couple of months.

Climate Change

Youth Team Regular

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
What - both of Cameron's favourite clubs in one hit ? You sound like a raving lefty to me :cool:
Its OK, if they both go down, he can support Burnley. Claret and Blue!

paulh66

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Is there no system that relegates both of these?
Playing out the season should do it. :cool:

Meanwhile I see EFL's proposal has got them twitching in South Shields!

Assuming the EFL's proposal is voted through, when it goes to FA Council for ratification it'll be interesting to see how Council reconciles the apparent (though not necessarily actual) inconsistencies between this and what's it's already ratified at steps 3-7. A possible litmus test in that area is in progress now, as Council is considering a request from the National League to extend the season in order to allow playoffs. The outcome of that might be worth keeping an eye on as a refusal, depending on reason, may have wider ramifications beyond the NL.

jon b

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Sheffield Utd/Wed/FC
Phil Hodgkinson, owner of Huddersfield Town, has warned that the English football pyramid will be destroyed unless the game starts to plan for the financial impact of Covid 19 beyond the 2019-20 season.

"The problem is not whether we finish [this] season or not, it is what happens after that".

He thinks as many as 50 or 60 clubs could go bust.

Bigaitch

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
None in particular
Phil Hodgkinson, owner of Huddersfield Town, has warned that the English football pyramid will be destroyed unless the game starts to plan for the financial impact of Covid 19 beyond the 2019-20 season.

"The problem is not whether we finish [this] season or not, it is what happens after that".

He thinks as many as 50 or 60 clubs could go bust.

I just read that article and have to say it seems like a typical beeb scaremongering piece. He is right, they could go bust, but might not. There is nothing in there that really puts much meat on the bones, and it also fails to say where these clubs are from. Are we talking EFL / 92 or further down ? And why 50 or 60 as opposed to 100 or so. It just feels like a quiet news day and excuse to fill some space.

pokal02

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Barnet, Cockfosters
The furlough scheme will end in Oct, so after that clubs will have expenses but virtually no income if they have to play without spectators. Can't see many clubs below Premiership being able to sustain that. Hopefully limited crowds will be allowed sooner rather than later, as it seems fairly widely accepted now that the risk of outdoor transmission is low. If not, I suspect football from the Championship down to Step 6 will have to hibernate for the whole season and lay off all their players (Prem would be OK due to TV and Step 7 downwards due to not paying their players).

007Dale

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Leicester City, St Albans City
The furlough scheme will end in Oct, so after that clubs will have expenses but virtually no income if they have to play without spectators. Can't see many clubs below Premiership being able to sustain that. Hopefully limited crowds will be allowed sooner rather than later, as it seems fairly widely accepted now that the risk of outdoor transmission is low. If not, I suspect football from the Championship down to Step 6 will have to hibernate for the whole season and lay off all their players (Prem would be OK due to TV and Step 7 downwards due to not paying their players).
If you can sell every fourth (or so) seat on every other row, let’s say 20% of capacity when factoring in households coming, then you could foresee small crowds being allowed in. Might have to be careful about departures and be well stewarded to avoid crowds leaving together. So for clubs like, Notts county, with large grounds, it might have minimal impact on their average attendance. Obviously not great for clubs that regularly sell out.

paulh66

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Hodgkinson is right in sounding the alarm bell, even if (and I don't know if he is) he's plucking numbers out of thin air.

The EFL is making such a meal of trying to figure out what to do with 19/20 it feels, from the outside looking in, they're almost sleepwalking into the bigger problem. They obviously do recognise a financial situation - point 1 of the proposal they finally drafted last week pretty much admits they're willing to compromise sporting integrity for money - but there's little outward sign they're geared up to addressing it. The fact we're now in the absurd situation where a vote is organised in which, for certain clubs, the best (or, indeed, only viable) option for themselves is one which threatens the existence of others, suggests the EFL haven't got a proper handle on the problem.

IAN S

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles & Kendal Town
Hodgkinson is right in sounding the alarm bell, even if (and I don't know if he is) he's plucking numbers out of thin air.

The EFL is making such a meal of trying to figure out what to do with 19/20 it feels, from the outside looking in, they're almost sleepwalking into the bigger problem. They obviously do recognise a financial situation - point 1 of the proposal they finally drafted last week pretty much admits they're willing to compromise sporting integrity for money - but there's little outward sign they're geared up to addressing it. The fact we're now in the absurd situation where a vote is organised in which, for certain clubs, the best (or, indeed, only viable) option for themselves is one which threatens the existence of others, suggests the EFL haven't got a proper handle on the problem.
As far as I know no one as suggested that everyone who enters a ground must be wearing a mask, no mask, no entry, and have them available at the turnstiles. Would it be a solution? IMO everyone who goes shopping or on public transport should be wearing one, make it compulsory. Some human rights lawyers would argue the case I dare say.

paulh66

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
From the Telegraph this afternoon:
"The EFL board will meet on Wednesday to review feedback on this proposed new framework. It would require a change in the EFL’s regulations and so would need a majority in favour when it is formally voted on, probably next Monday June 1. If that passes as expected, leagues will then have to vote individually on how they complete their own season, probably on Wednesday June 3. A simple majority would be required."

I believe the change in regulation itself requires both a majority of the Championship and a majority of the EFL as a whole to pass.

oftenscore6

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
FC United of Manchester, St Pauli, Hammarby, Hawthorn (AFL)
Playing out the season should do it. :cool:

Meanwhile I see EFL's proposal has got them twitching in South Shields!

Assuming the EFL's proposal is voted through, when it goes to FA Council for ratification it'll be interesting to see how Council reconciles the apparent (though not necessarily actual) inconsistencies between this and what's it's already ratified at steps 3-7. A possible litmus test in that area is in progress now, as Council is considering a request from the National League to extend the season in order to allow playoffs. The outcome of that might be worth keeping an eye on as a refusal, depending on reason, may have wider ramifications beyond the NL.
Given the FA policy seems to be it's up to the relevant organisation, it doesn't look inconsistent. It may not be the same choice, but still it's been up to the organisation rather than the FA.

What would have been inconsistent is for the same division to allow promotion for an incomplete division but not relegation (step 2 being fortunate that step 3 had already been concluded as void) . Sorry that means your club is considered only on the points it has already attained, but somebody has to be in 21st. It's an exceptional circumstance and there will be winners and losers whatever - hopefully a policy will be enshrined regarding incomplete seasons going forward.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks