Coupe de France 2019-20

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Without doubt, the World's best domestic cup competition

Link to previous thread discussion https://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/forum/gforum.cgi?post=921231

Link to rounds 1-6 results on Wikipedia Coupe de France Rounds 1-6 (wiki)

Link to later rounds Coupe de France (wiki)

One Outre Mer team, JS Saint-Pierre of Reunion remain after the 8th round - they are drawn at second division Niort in the round of 32 (as in 32 games).

The lowest level team in Round 8, SSEP Hombourg-Haut of Regional 3 (tier 8) scored a 2-1 win over second division Auxerre. With no Regional 2 survivors they were guaranteed a home draw and will receive Prix-les-Mezierers (National 3) in the next round. The game against Auxerre was moved to a larger ground in Sarreguemines, but I wonder if the low key nature of the next tie means they can stage it themselves.

Two more Regional survivors, both from Regional 1. For a report on the game at Reims Sainte Anne, see my musings on where did you go for Sunday 8th December. The other survivor is ESA Linas-Montlhery form Paris IDF. Both have drawn top division opposition and I doubt if either will be staged on home grounds. EFRSA will play Montpellier, while Linas-Montlhery have the real plum, Paris Saint Germain. A google translation of ESA L-M President, Michael Bertansetti's reaction to the draw.

"We had the big draw! It was the dream poster, the big part of our team supports Paris Saint-Germain, our coach is even a subscriber to the Parc des Princes for twenty years. and the whole city of Montlhéry is amazing, we are still on our cloud after yesterday's qualifying, that only brings us more joy.I took three hours to attend the draw. This evening in Rennes, I was afraid to fall asleep on the way back, in the end I'm not sure I could sleep when I arrived at home! For the League Paris-Ile-de-France and the District of Essonne that we represent, it will be something strong to see us play against PSG is the apotheosis of our course.

I will be keeping an eye on where these are played, although Hombourg-Haut may be too far for me to consider on the day after I return to France from England. Sable v Pau, Guichen v Caen, Dieppe v Angers and Versailles v Granville are also likely options for me

Gricehead

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Rotherham United
Shiny new forum!

There are currently 12 ties that don't have confirmed ground due to licensing issues, of which Guichen v Caen on Leo's list is one of them.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Some of these have now been filled on the fff site. Still possible that they can change

Bastia-Borgo v St. Etienne at Stade Amand Cesari, Furiani. (The old SC Bastia ground, not Borgo's)
Fabregues v Paris at Stade Joseph Jeanton, (Fabregues normal ground)
St Pryve St Hilaire v Toulouse at Stade du Grand Close (SPSH Normal ground - and a suprise to me, I thought it would move to Orleans)
Grand Synthe v Nancy at Stade Marcel Tribut, Dunkerque
Raon l'Etape v Lille at Stade Paul Gasser (Raon's normal ground)

Still seven games still requiring venues, with Stade Portel, Reims St. Anne, Bayonne, Trelissac, Honbourg, Guichen and Lanas Montlhery the home teams

At the moment, fff shows all games at 13.30 Sunday - I expect this to change

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
One for the British?
Stade Portel v Strasbourg will be at Stade l'Epopee on Saturday 4 January at 15.00

Meanwhile Reims St. Anne v Montpellier will be at Stade Auguste Delaune (as in Stade Reims), Sunday at 14.15

Bayonne Aviron v Nantes is being played in Bayonne, but not at Stade Didier Deschamps. Instead it will be at Stade Jean Dauger, Terrain de Rugby. Saturday 13.00

Hombourg will again go to Sarreguemines, and play on Sunday 17.15

The Guichen v Caen match also switches to a Rugby venue, Stade Commandant Bougoin in Rennes. TA Rennes used this venue for their 2011 cup tie against Nantes - Saturday at 13.00

Still no news on Trelissac or Linas Montlhery

Dates and times
Saturday 13.00 (5): Bayonne, Niort. Fabregues, Versailles, Guichen
Saturday 15.00 (4): Monaco, Tours, Portel, St. Briochin
Saturday 18.00 (7): St Pryve St Hilaire, Red Star, Angoloume, Sable sur Sarthe, Rennes, Belfort, Athletico Marseille
Sunday 14.15 (5): Raon l'Etape, Reims St. Anne, Lorient, Trelissac, Bastia-Borgo
Sunday 17.55 (7): Limonest, Grande Synthe, Frejus St Raphael, Valenciennes, Dieppe, Entente Sannois St Gratien, Hombourg
Monday 20.55 (1): FC Rouen

Date/Time to be advised (3): Bordeaux, Bourg en Bresse, Linas Montlhery

Not many double headers clear from this, although Guichen/Rennes is an obvious one. One may also get some joy by searching regional cup matches - especially if targetting the later Sunday matches as Regional cups are liable to be early Sunday. For example, where I am in Normandie, only one game in the third round of the Regional Cup was played on schedule. Most of the rest will be played the week before Christmas (which was supposed to be the fourth round date) - but matches called off again are liable to be rescheduled for January 4/5. It has been very wet in Normandie

Gricehead

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Rotherham United
Trelissac will play Marseille at Stade de Beaublanc in Limoges (home of USA Limoges Rugby club)

Linas-Montlhéry will play PSG at Stade Robert Bobin in Bondoufle (home of Paris FC women's team), kickoff 5 January 20:55

(Edit to add, I've just realised I've been spelling Linas-Montlhéry without an acute accent for three years on wikipedia. That's a lot of find and replace to be done :()

Last edited:

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Robert Bobin is also used in National 2B by Fleury 91. Crowd of 250 when I saw them play Raon l'Etape in the cup two years ago. It makes the place seem colder. Can't see me heading back

Gricehead

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Rotherham United
JS Saint Pierroise from Réunion are, I believe, the first Overseas Territory team to reach the round of 32.

They have every chance of progressing further with a tie against National 2 Épinal in the next round.

They'll also have a fair few air miles to play with.

Other than that, there are no more teams from below the National leagues remaining in the competition.

Gricehead

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Rotherham United
I see there was also controversy in the match between Tours and Nîmes, where top referee Clément Turpin declared the 3rd Tours penalty in the shoot-out as a "miss" where photographic evidence shows it was over the line.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
The first Outre Mer club to win two rounds appears to be Geldar Kourou of Guyane, who beat Chaumont and Sens before losing two legs of a two legged tie to Nantes. The matches are shown as tenth round. This was 1988/9. I saw a match in March listed as 1/16 finals. It seems likely the tenth round was 1/32 finals.

In 1994-5, St. Louisienne of Reunion beat Epinal and Niort before losing to Cannes (then top division).

In 2008-9, Jeanne d'Arc of Reunion beat Saint-Louis Neuweg and Feignies before losing to Tours (division 2). I was in Saint-Louis for the first game

In 2014-15, Club Franciscain of Martinique beat Sainte Genevieve and Lormont before losing to Nantes.

In 2015-16, US Sainte Marienne of Reunion beat Saint-Lo Manche and Vertou before losing to GFC Ajaccio.

In 2016-17, Excelsior of Reunion beat Avoin Chinon and Mulhouse, both on penalties before losing to Lille

and last season it was Aiglon de Lamentin of Martinique who beat Stade Poitevin and Sainte Genevieve before falling to Orleans

so JS Saint Pierroise are the first club to beat three from the mainland

(stats from rsssf.com)

PaulC

Youth Team Sub
I dipped into live TV coverage of quite a few of the ties over the weekend via hesgoal.com. Trelissac-OM was an entertaining game. The Limoges stadium was impressive ... and full.

PaulC

Youth Team Sub
JS Saint Pierroise from Réunion are, I believe, the first Overseas Territory team to reach the round of 32.

They have every chance of progressing further with a tie against National 2 Épinal in the next round.

They'll also have a fair few air miles to play with.

Other than that, there are no more teams from below the National leagues remaining in the competition.
Stretching the definition a bit, SCU El Biar from France’s African colony of Algeria reached the 1/8th final in 1957, beating the mighty Stade de Reims en route.

Last edited:

Gricehead

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Rotherham United
Four games arranged at alternate venues in the Round of 32 so far
Granville v Marseille in Caen
Prix-lès-Mézières v Limonest in Charleville-Mézières (Stade de la Poterie in Prix-lès-Mézières is apparently good enough for National 3 games, but not for Coupe de France games between two National 3 sides!)
Gonfreville v Lille in Le Havre
Saint-Pryvé Saint-Hilaire v Monaco in Orléans

venues awaited still for
Red Star v Nice
Athlético Marseille v Rennes

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
I went to Mézières three years ago, for a match called off due to frost. I saw both stadiums, the match was due to be played in Charleville. Stade de la Poterie has little in the way of spectator comfort. I cannot say I am bothered whether I ever get a game there or not
DSCN1542.JPG

The stadium in Charleville, by comparison is a thing of beauty, and I hope to get a match there one day

DSCN1552s.JPG

Gricehead

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Rotherham United
venues awaited still for
Red Star v Nice
Athlético Marseille v Rennes
Red Star v Nice has been reversed and will be played in Nice due to the FFF rejecting Stade Bauer over security concerns.
Athlético Marseille v Rennes will be played at Stade Maurice David in Aix en Provence

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
In Aix, that is the Rugby ground, not the stadium I have been to for football

Gricehead

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Rotherham United
Also overlooked in my original post that Angoulême-Soyaux Charente v Strasbourg is at Stade Chanzy (another rugby stadium) rather than Stade Lebon

Tykeoldboy

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Doncaster Rovers
Everton
JS Saint-Pierroise run came to an end with a 1-0 defeat against Epinal

Gricehead

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Rotherham United
JS Saint-Pierroise run came to an end with a 1-0 defeat against Epinal
It took until the 117th minute for Épinal to score, and JS Saint-Pierroise were down to ten men from the 15th minute onwards.

PaulC

Youth Team Sub
An idiosyncratic interpretation of the 1/8th Final draw

(From 35 mins)

Gricehead

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Rotherham United
Limonest v Dijon will take place at the Olympique Lyonnais Training Centre, alongside Parc Olympique, in Décines-Charpieu, on the pitch where Lyon 2 and the Lyon Female team play.

According to information I can find, it only has 1524 seats, though?

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks