County Cricket 2021

Wheelbarrow

Youth Team Star
No straight return to the previous two division CC set up given the uncertainty of where the recovery will be by the spring.

So a two stage competition.
  • Each county will play 10 four-day games in the group stage - five home and five away. Groups seeded based on the 2019 CC and 2020 BWT.
  • The top two teams in each group will go through to a second group stage called "Division One".
  • The six teams in Division One play a further four matches, with the side that finishes top of Division One crowned 2021 County Championship winners. (Presumably not playing the team in the stage 1 group you came from)
  • The top two teams in Division One will contest five-day Bob Willis Trophy final at Lord's.
  • The remaining 12 teams that do not go into Division One will move into Divisions Two and Three, in which teams will play another four matches.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/54570997

Tykeoldboy

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Doncaster Rovers
Everton
A long winded solution. The second stage could have been skipped and teams could have gone straight into a play off system. The 12 counties that don't progress will be playing meaningless games.

Part-Timer

Reserve Team Hopeful
A long winded solution. The second stage could have been skipped and teams could have gone straight into a play off system. The 12 counties that don't progress will be playing meaningless games.
Not quite meaningless. Presumably it will count towards their seeding for the following season.

I quite like the format. I would prefer the second stage to be a proper home and away round robin, but that would mean four more matches for each county which, sadly, is not going to happen due to the time constraints imposed by limited over games. At least it's not been regionalised.

leeroy

Junior Team Hopeful
Not quite meaningless. Presumably it will count towards their seeding for the following season.

I quite like the format. I would prefer the second stage to be a proper home and away round robin, but that would mean four more matches for each county which, sadly, is not going to happen due to the time constraints imposed by limited over games. At least it's not been regionalised.
Two more pieces of info;

Teams take forward into the second phase half the number of points achieved in their two group matches against the team that goes through with them into their division.

Teams cannot move between divisions in the second phase. So, for example, the top team in Division 2 will finish 7th regardless of whether they have more points then anyone in Division 1.

Wheelbarrow

Youth Team Star
All the white ball fixtures for the first class counties have been confirmed now, and on the BBC article there was a comment in relation to the One Day Cup games to the effect that "It will also be preceded by 20 matches between first-class counties and National Counties (previously known as minor counties) between 20 and 22 July. "

Last edited:

Wheelbarrow

Youth Team Star
Second XI details

Glamorgan posted an article about their 2nd XI fixtures today which, whilst naturally focussing on their own fixtures, has some details of the structure for this year:

Continuing with the plans from 2020, the Second Eleven Championship moves to a four-day format to help prepare players for the senior competition. The Second Eleven Trophy will no longer be contested, to allow time for the extended SEC games to be completed, with sides able to arrange 50-over friendlies during the summer should they wish to.

The Second Eleven T20 competition begins at the end of May and runs until late June, aligning it with the Vitality Blast block of games to help players stake a claim for a place in the side and provide match practice for those not in the squad

https://glamorgancricket.com/news/glamorgan-2nd-xi-fixtures-announced

Cherryhopper

First Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
Couldn't they just switch the original game to Arundel?

Wheelbarrow

Youth Team Star
Yorkshire commit to ten more years staging games at Scarborough.
This will consist of 10 days (2 x First Class, 2 x List A) presuming the county structure stays the same.

https://yorkshireccc.com/news/view/8987/yorkshire-cricket-and-scarborough-agree-ten-year-deal

There will also be two phases of significant renovations to the ground on the back of Scarborough's Town Deal funding award. These will include both upgrades to seating and toilets for spectators as well as playing facilities such as changing rooms and new hybrid pitches for juniors.

MattRam

Youth Team Hopeful
I see my county, Derbyshire, are playing to form, 0 for 2.
We actually did ok last season.

Gills

Junior Team Sub
Anyone been to Lady Bay CC in Nottingham. Is it enclosed or could you walk round the boundary as if looking for your dog?

MattRam

Youth Team Hopeful
When I were a lad we'd have played on that, and that after a 25 hour shift down't pit...

AndyE

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
None.
Anyone been to Lady Bay CC in Nottingham. Is it enclosed or could you walk round the boundary as if looking for your dog?

It's in a sports complex, and it's owned by Boots plc. So unfortunately, it's not one where you could reasonably be claiming to be looking for your dog.

John Mills

Junior Team Sub
I have recently noticed details of a couple of the 'National Counties Showcase Games' seeping out, so thought I'd have a quick search across all counties website fixture lists. With minimal digging, the following thus came to light.

Tuesday July 20th
Yorkshire v Northumberland at Scarborough
Lancashire v Cumbria at Sedbergh School (I've given Lancs as the home team, as it reminds me to mention that their Royal London Cup opener v Sussex on Fri 25th is also here - confirmed since main fixture publication)
Derbyshire v Shropshire at Derby
Norfolk v Notts (surely at Horsford?)
Herefordshire v Worcs at ???
Northants v Bedfordshire at Northampton
Essex v Cambs at Chelmsford
Berkshire v Middlesex at Falkland
Kent v Suffolk at Beckenham
Sussex v Oxfordshire at Hove
Wiltshire v Gloucs at ???
Somerset v Cornwall at Taunton
Surrey are playing Bucks, but have not indicated whether at home or away.

Thursday July 22nd
Cheshire v Warwickshire at ???

The National Counties flashy new website ( https://nationalcountiesca.co.uk/ ) refers to ''every County hosting a First Class team over a 3-day period'' but this fails to account for there being twenty National Counties and only eighteen first-class.

Sixteen of the eighteen first class clubs only complete their T20 Blast commitments on Sunday 18th, and unaccounted for amongst first class counties in the above are Durham (who begin their Royal London campaign at Beckenham on the 22nd so may not be up for much), Leicestershire, Hampshire and Glamorgan. The latter three all play at home in the Royal London on the 22nd. Without a fixture in the above list are Devon, Dorset (logical match-up for Hampshire?), Herts, Lincs, Staffs and Wales National County (likewise Glamorgan).

Naturally, any additions/clarifications would be welcome.

Last edited:

Cousse

Junior Team Sub
Hertfordshire v Middlesex venue TBC July 22
Somerset v Devon at Taunton July 22
Dorset v Hampshire venue TBC
Lincolnshire v Durham venue TBC
Wales v Glamorgan venue TBC
Staffordshire v Leicestershire venue TBC

The vast majority if not all of the games will be played at the First Class County’s home ground due to covid protocols not being possible at Minor Counties grounds which is a real shame.

Somerset & Middlesex play 2 Minor Counties whereas everyone else plays one. Middx using Radlett for all their Royal London Cup games so every chance they’ll use that for their games as well.

Last edited:

Tykeoldboy

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Doncaster Rovers
Everton
Now that I have seen the current format for the 4 day game in action I quite like it. 3 groups of 6 with the best 2 counties playing off for the title. I think this format should be adopted with maybe seeding introduced based on the final standings for the following seasons.

Example of this could be, counties given final standings, 1 to 18 on their seasons points total, with 1 being the actual champions, 2 being the other finalist and 3 being the remaining group winner. Groups for the following season could be (based on final standings)

Group A - 1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 18
Group B - 2, 5, 8, 11, 14, 17
Group C - 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 16

Ladderman

Reserve Team Starter
You've made group A by far strongest. Should be
A 1, 6, 7, 12, 13, 18
B 2, 5, 8, 11, 14, 17
C 3, 4, 9, 10, 15, 16

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks