Could the expunging of 19/20 at steps 3-7 now be reversed?

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
Assists are only important to those who have a team playing in Fantasy Leagues.

buncranaboy

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Bostock Stanley, Barnstoneworth United
Football managed to survive for a very long time without stats such as assists and saves.
My gripe is that there's nothing (obvious) laid down as to how these "assists" are given out. In basketball there's strict criteria laid down. It's not just a case of "ooh , that's a nice pass". There's a very high percentage of assists to goals, especially considering how many are defensive mistakes.
Not as bad as X-goals which appeared last year and adds nothing in my view.

BDA_85

Reserve Team Sub
Football managed to survive for a very long time without stats such as assists and saves.
My gripe is that there's nothing (obvious) laid down as to how these "assists" are given out. In basketball there's strict criteria laid down. It's not just a case of "ooh , that's a nice pass". There's a very high percentage of assists to goals, especially considering how many are defensive mistakes.
I think the one I disagree with the most is one that has been brought about by the media, expected goals (or XG as they call it).

Scotty BUFC

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Boston United
Not as bad as X-goals which appeared last year and adds nothing in my view.
The use of expected goals as I see it is to see if a team is temporarily over/under-achieving (are they scoring more/less than they "should" be), plus how good a goalkeeper is, regardless of the defence in front of them (e.g. a goalkeeper may play in a team with a poor defence, but concede an XG of less than actual goals, to indicate they are doing well).

Nobody can deny that stats play a big part in football nowadays, as they affect the tactics used by managers. If you know that a team concedes more than average from corners, you can try to exploit this, for example. They do affect results.

buncranaboy

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
The use of expected goals as I see it is to see if a team is temporarily over/under-achieving (are they scoring more/less than they "should" be), plus how good a goalkeeper is, regardless of the defence in front of them (e.g. a goalkeeper may play in a team with a poor defence, but concede an XG of less than actual goals, to indicate they are doing well).

Nobody can deny that stats play a big part in football nowadays, as they affect the tactics used by managers. If you know that a team concedes more than average from corners, you can try to exploit this, for example. They do affect results.
XG could be anything including your strikers having an absolute mare so on its own is meaningless.

SotonSats

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Southend United
Southampton and Hampshire
AFC Totton
Just noticed on Fulltime the City of Southampton Sunday League now shows completed tables recording all unplayed matches as 0-0 draws with walkover wins awarded against teams who pulled out before the lockdown.
I beleive they also used Cup results??? One team had won every match they had played but still lost the title?

Grandad

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Slough Town, Rhostyllen, Barmouth & Dyffryn United, Cheltenham Pilgrims
Most of this thread is nothing to do with the original post, just saying.... Discussions on whether assists are valid statistics is not relevant to whether null and void will be reversed.

paulh66

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
Most of this thread is nothing to do with the original post, just saying.... Discussions on whether assists are valid statistics is not relevant to whether null and void will be reversed.
Par for the course on here these days.

On topic, I still wouldn't be surprised if the FA reinstated 19/20's results into the record books before next season starts, though not before next season's constitutions are finalised.

buncranaboy

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
But that's the way this and many other forums work and it's all the more interesting for it.
Last thing we need are OCD-driven unofficial site police telling us where and what we can post.

paulh66

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
But that's the way this and many other forums work and it's all the more interesting for it.
Last thing we need are OCD-driven unofficial site police telling us where and what we can post.
Looks like the cap fits. Of course those who can't or rarely do contribute to any meaningful discussion need somewhere to foist their idle "banter" on the rest of us, yes. A question of balance I'd say. A balance that's noticeably shifting.

Ladderman

Youth Team Starter
Looks like the cap fits. Of course those who can't or rarely do contribute to any meaningful discussion need somewhere to foist their idle "banter" on the rest of us, yes. A question of balance I'd say. A balance that's noticeably shifting.
Can you stop going off topic please

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
...and I thought the topic had now shifted to whether or not we can go off topic

THDrummer1

Junior Team Star
Par for the course on here these days.

On topic, I still wouldn't be surprised if the FA reinstated 19/20's results into the record books before next season starts, though not before next season's constitutions are finalised.
Any guess/knowledge of when the constitutions will be announced Paul?

paulh66

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Any guess/knowledge of when the constitutions will be announced Paul?
I've seen July 14 mentioned. I don't know if that's official but that happens to be the date of the next FA meeting with steps 5/6 (according to the notes of the last meeting circulated by the SWP League).

HarryC

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Fleet Town
The Wessex League AGM was put back from 28/06 to 19/07 to await the FALC decision on request for voluntary relegation to Wessex by Blackfield & Langley, expected to be confirmed one way or other on 14/07.

FLOYD FIRECAN

Junior Team Sub
Re Constitutions.
Regional NLS Feeder League Secretaries have received emails from the F.A. stating that League constitutions are on the agenda for a Leagues Committee Meeting on July 14th and Leagues have been informed that they can delay their A.G.M.'s until after that date even if that is against their own rules.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks