Coronavirus

Mr. T

Youth Team Sub
I didn't twist your point. Challenging flawed advice is not selfish.

MattRam

Junior Team Sub
I'll mention again the science programmes and More or Less on radio 4 and World Service are very good at explaining the latest developments and facts and figures, the give their sources and counter opposing views.
With Sweden, the infection and death rates were higher than their near neighbours but recovered and is pretty much functioning normally, as Swedish correspondent did how however say it's a bit of a trait to follow government advice so many chose to self isolate anyway.
Im a couple of weeks behind on latest info so not sure of current situation

MattRam

Junior Team Sub
Incidentally the hospital I am attending every weekday for next few weeks have given me swab kits to be tested for Covid-19 weekly, they also test you if you're admitted.
I guess one criticism of the government is that we weren't better prepared, the warning signs were their with bird flu and other zoonotic outbreaks, but they were less virulent, transmissible but a large body of the scientific community felt a pandemic was only a matter of time, blimey we're due a virulent strain of flu on past history

Mr. T

Youth Team Sub
With Sweden, the infection and death rates were higher than their near neighbours but recovered and is pretty much functioning normally...
Had Sweden not made the same mistake as other countries in discharging hospital patients into care homes (the UK was not alone here) it might have been well down the list.

MattRam

Junior Team Sub
Had Sweden not made the same mistake as other countries in discharging hospital patients into care homes (the UK was not alone here) it might have been well down the list.
Agreed that was very big mistake and scandalous and I can't really understand what they were thinking other than freeing up beds to make it look like they were coping, but it only exacerbated the situation and increased the death toll and spread of virus via care staff not having adequate PPE, still doesn't matter what the flavour of the government is, they are driven by self interest, so appearing to meet kpi's targets is far important than actually facilitating change for the better

buncranaboy

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Bostock Stanley, Barnstoneworth United
Twist my point, challenge authority and disrespect the official instructions and guidance all you like. The red line is that anyone who knowingly ignores said instructions and guidance for their own gratification is selfish and irresponsible. A covidiot.
Bloody hell Paul - how high is that horse of yours?

derekn

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Taunton Town
It was just quicker than typing the rhetoric-free "Which, based on my experience of attending football matches, together with what we've seen in various scenarios in this country during the crisis, will probably be routinely broken by covidiots (i.e. the selfish and irresponsible ones who knowingly ignore prevailing instructions in pursuit of their own gratification), who it is hoped will be in such a minority as not to, or not be allowed to, spoil it for the rest of us or put us at increased risk."
;)
Is it possible for you to ever refer to people who disagree with you as something other than 'covidiots'? They're not stupid, they just disagree with you.

paulh66

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
Is it possible for you to ever refer to people who disagree with you as something other than 'covidiots'? They're not stupid, they just disagree with you.
Of course. If you bothered to properly read and understand the actual words I've written you'd see this answer is blindingly obvious.

Last edited:

paulh66

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Bloody hell Paul - how high is that horse of yours?
What's your problem now. :rolleyes:
Discuss the topic not the poster. You could perhaps start by giving us your considered description of those who knowingly and flagrantly flout and ignore the prevailing instructions and guidance during a public health crisis. Enlightened? People's champions? Rebels with a cause?
Nah.

Ronsdog

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Lowestoft Town
Crystal Palace
Unlike here, where we allowed a committee of 'experts' to lead our battle against Covid19, the Swedes put Anders Tegnell, a leading epidemiologist, in charge of their response to the pandemic. He fronted up every news conference and admitted that the Care Home mistake contributed to 50% of the subsequent death rate.

However it is now generally generally agreed that a majority of Swedes have immunity to the virus as a result of not locking everybody up and that augers well for any second wave.

Here's a rather slanted view from the BBC, you can make your own mind up.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53498133

Last edited:

Lord Lucan

Reserve Team Hopeful
The logic is simply to follow published instructions and guidance on matters of public health during a pandemic. Hardly a big ask and certainly not idiotic. Staggered it's even up for discussion.
Continually calling people who are following published instructions/guidance idiots is not discussion and merely confirms what I said earlier.

paulh66

First Team Sub
Team{s}
Continually calling people who are following published instructions/guidance idiots is not discussion and merely confirms what I said earlier.
You'll have to point out where on earth I've done that. Get derekn on the case too.

buncranaboy

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Bostock Stanley, Barnstoneworth United
What's your problem now. :rolleyes:
Discuss the topic not the poster. You could perhaps start by giving us your considered description of those who knowingly and flagrantly flout and ignore the prevailing instructions and guidance during a public health crisis. Enlightened? People's champions? Rebels with a cause?
Nah.
Were you discussing the topic when you posted those three pictures ?
If I had as much time on my hands as you appear to have to challenge the views of all and sundry, then I might too have time to give a considered description - nay, lecture - as suggested by yourself.
I could quote from The Merchant of Venice Act 1, Scene 3 where "the devil can cite scripture for his purpose" where slavish following of every aspect of a given instruction is not always the wise thing to do, particularly when the basis of much of the instruction is muddled, confused and contradictory as much of the UK governments response has been all the way through. There are many interpretations; that's mine.
Nobody follows every aspect of every edict all the time - have you never taken slight liberties with the law of the land at times when behind the wheel perhaps or flouting a zebra crossing red light as a pedestrian when there's nothing in sight ? All potentially dangerous to yourself and to others but you weigh up the risk and act accordingly.
There are a number of people around who do fit the description of your new favourite word, but they've always been around and are generally not too difficult to spot and avoid. By my reckoning, I'd be more likely to avoid them at Allscott Heath or Alvechurch than Brighton beach but apparently that's more risky.

paulh66

First Team Sub
Team{s}
You'll have to point out where on earth I've done that. Get derekn on the case too.
Looks like buncranaboy could lend a hand too.

Don't worry boys, the footy will be back soon. Assuming the covidiots don't end up scuppering it for the rest of us. Oh sorry, no, that'd be the FA's fault, they don't care about non league. Obviously.

Last edited:

MattRam

Junior Team Sub
I was wondering how I would behave if I was a youngun not 51, a covidiot? Certainly was an idiot sometimes, but then we all felt a bit invincsible back then.
Quite possibly though tended to follow rules, but only so far, I still feel minded that more damage will be done, econically, mentally and health wise by continuing with the restrictions.
I also feel many people are simply fed up of life this way and have and will ignore government advice, and that's an increasing feeling, understandably imho
There has been good points made, it's up to an individual to look at their own risks factors and act appropriately.
Myself my biggest risk factor is going to hospital, they seem to attract Ill people lol.

derekn

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Taunton Town
Looks like buncranaboy could lend a hand too.

Don't worry boys, the footy will be back soon. Assuming the covidiots don't end up scuppering it for the rest of us. Oh sorry, no, that'd be the FA's fault, they don't care about non league. Obviously.
Covidiots again......

Sale Holmfield

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Altrincham
Unlike here, where we allowed a committee of 'experts' to lead our battle against Covid19, the Swedes put Anders Tegnell, a leading epidemiologist, in charge of their response to the pandemic. He fronted up every news conference and admitted that the Care Home mistake contributed to 50% of the subsequent death rate.

However it is now generally generally agreed that a majority of Swedes have immunity to the virus as a result of not locking everybody up and that augers well for any second wave.

Here's a rather slanted view from the BBC, you can make your own mind up.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53498133
However, here is a piece from 25 Swedish doctors and scientists, stating that the immunity rate is more like 10% at the most. Aimed at American readers, it warns that Sweden's death rate is higher than the USA's and asks other countries to use Sweden as an example not to follow.

I don't know what is correct, and I am going to ask a Swedish friend in a moment for her opinion of what any consensus is there, but it doesn't appear to be "generally agreed" unless you have any source for that.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/07/21/coronavirus-swedish-herd-immunity-drove-up-death-toll-column/5472100002/

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks