Coronavirus

Sale Holmfield

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Altrincham
In the last few years, there has been a tendency for contactless payments to replace cash, and this pandemic will only give further impetus to that process, I'm sure.
I think that is fine in itself, but when businesses refuse cash, they deter or even discriminate against customers who tend to be older and poorer, or just mistrustful as contactless payments or certainly easier but equally certainly less secure.

Pandemics can have unforeseen consequences. I believe the Black Death led towards the development of a wage economy as there were so few peasants and labouerers who survived that they could demand a price. I am sure Covid-19 won't take such a toll in deaths, but it can still change the way we live.

paulh66

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
Pandemics can have unforeseen consequences. I believe the Black Death led towards the development of a wage economy as there were so few peasants and labouerers who survived that they could demand a price. I am sure Covid-19 won't take such a toll in deaths, but it can still change the way we live.
And probably for the better in the long run, in all sorts of ways we've not yet realised. One way Mother Nature seems to thrive is by inflicting a major "correction" on the planet every now and then.

Kirby Knitters

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
The Knitters.
BTP will be out and about on stations asking people questions on reasons for travel!! May I suggest they visit Padd on Saturday morning.:)

Isaac Hunt

Junior Team Star
In the last few years, there has been a tendency for contactless payments to replace cash, and this pandemic will only give further impetus to that process, I'm sure.
I think that is fine in itself, but when businesses refuse cash, they deter or even discriminate against customers who tend to be older and poorer, or just mistrustful as contactless payments or certainly easier but equally certainly less secure.

Many shops in my locality have notices asking for card payment if possible but are still happy to accept cash and supermarkets have self service checkouts most of which take cash.

Tykeoldboy

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Doncaster Rovers
Everton
Really!? Where do you live, the 1970s? ;)
You have to remember that credit card companies charge retailers a small feee everytime a card is used, which eats in to retailers mark-up, and for small businesses those mark-ups can be very small.

Scotty BUFC

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Boston United
You have to remember that credit card companies charge retailers a small feee everytime a card is used, which eats in to retailers mark-up, and for small businesses those mark-ups can be very small.
But retailers who are cash-only will then have more banking to do, which isn't free.

buncranaboy

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Bostock Stanley, Barnstoneworth United
Maybe they could follow the example of Groundhop UK who charge a commission on cash payments

buncranaboy

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Bostock Stanley, Barnstoneworth United
Including brewery outlets I gather

Kingsmere

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Rampant Rangers
But retailers who are cash-only will then have more banking to do, which isn't free.
That's why shops offer cash back, the charged levied for card payments is less that paying cash into a bank, and if a large store the cost of a security firm collecting it.

TowlawTom

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
FBPE United
Obviously hope Prince Charles makes a full recovery but does anyone know what type of work he is doing from home?

jon b

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Sheffield Utd/Wed/FC
I think as a 71 year old with Covid 19 he's working at keeping alive.

Tykeoldboy

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Doncaster Rovers
Everton
Obviously hope Prince Charles makes a full recovery but does anyone know what type of work he is doing from home?
He has the whole of Wales to be princely over.

jrev61

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
None
I think as a 71 year old with Covid 19 he's working at keeping alive.
Prince Charles is self-isolating with Covid-19.
Prince Andrew is self-isolating with Tracey-14.
Pinched from someone well-known on this forum, via Facebook.

jon b

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Sheffield Utd/Wed/FC
Now that the police have the power to break up groups it has been suggested they start with Cold Play.

PaulC

Reserve Team Hopeful
Lee Mack has tested positive. No jokes about Not Going Out please.

He attended the Cheltenham Festival

jimmythecuckoo

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Weymouth
Yaxley
Oh my.

That could be a game changer.

I wonder how many people could get it as a result of being at the festival.

TowlawTom

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
FBPE United
Some reports stating from the mayor of Bergamo that the virus was spread further following the Atlanta v Seville, Champions League match in Milan . No-one in Italy had died by then and think first death was 2 days after the game. Most Italian fatalities are from Bergamo.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks