Coronavirus

jon b

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Sheffield Utd/Wed/FC
The simple answer is they do not know, each vaccine could have different durations. The Health Secretary has speculated about re-vaccination after either 6 or 12 months.

Every time a new variant comes along there will be a scramble to see if they need to modify the vaccines.

Which leaves us with a nightmare scenario.

johnr

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
NUFC (retired)
Which leaves us with a nightmare scenario.
Depends on your nightmare. Unfortunately the virus, so far, has been ahead of response. Like a war you just have to keep battling on.

Mr. T

Youth Team Star
Talking of jabs, do we know whether the current Covid vaccines give long term protection or we'll need modified vaccines and more jabs to cope with future Covid variants?

It's interesting that you ask the question. There's a widespread belief that vaccination will bring the crisis to an end. How did that happen? I have to admit that I cannot remember any definitive official statement one way or the other. There was, however, plenty of rhetoric from HMG, both ministers and advisers, that encouraged that belief by talking up the "great efforts of the wonderful scientists hard at work all around the world to find a solution so that we can all get back to normal as soon as possible" and so on (and I'm not mocking the scientists but the speaker...you all know who I mean).

Quite recently on here (and I'm sorry but I can't find the message now), someone wrote something in a slightly sardonic manner along the lines of "real vaccines and the Covid vaccine" (I know that's a bit vague but perhaps someone else can remember it). Only one other person questioned what that meant and he didn't get a response. Perhaps the member was referring to the distinction between well-established vaccines for diseases such as measles, TB, diphtheria, polio etc. for which we expect life-long immunity, and the flu vaccines which work only in the short term.

Given that Covid-19 belongs to a group of 'variable' viruses, it was wrong for the authorities, national or international, to allow any of the public to believe that a Covid vaccine would be a magic bullet.

Northstandexile

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
The best we can hope for in a return to normal is that every year vulnerable folk have a COVID jab as well as a flu jab.

I would class vulnerable as everyone over 50, so everyone on here should be ok. ;)

oftenscore6

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
FC United of Manchester, St Pauli, Hammarby, Hawthorn (AFL)
Experience from Israel is suggesting one dose of the Pfizer vaccine is only 33% effective. I don't remember seeing a figure for Pfizer but the first dose of Oxford was touted at 70%, with 2nd doses of each taking the effectiveness above 90%. Hopefully the final effectiveness is accurate but a) 5-10% will still get a full blown Covid version even with the 2nd dose and b) even those who the antibodies from the vaccine are effective at fighting Covid, are not 'immune' from getting it and could well pass it on to others. Hopefully the swifter antibody response will reduce the infectious period though.

The UK government have downplayed 'vaccine passports' all along and that's consistent with the 2 points above, as vaccination will mainly significantly reduce the number of people getting seriously ill from Covid. How much it will do to stop the spread depends on whether there's a much reduced infectiousness period for vaccinated people who still catch Covid. So I expect a semblance of normality can return but higher risk activities eg. large crowds will depend on the current rate.

Mr. T

Youth Team Star
Many vaccines, including the Covids, require two doses at defined intervals. Failing to give the second, or delaying it, can significantly reduce a vaccine's effectiveness.

MattRam

Junior Team Star
The effectiveness after first jab depends when you measure it as it takes several days to take effect.
There was an Oxford study that said herd immunity couldn't be achieved as only over 18s at present vaccinated, people unwilling to take it, plus the mutation factor and not knowing to what extent the vaccine prevents transmission.
If new vaccines are needed periodically the hopeful news is that recent advances in gene editing (CRISPR) make this process 'easier' and quicker (in certain cases) along with, rightly or wrongly, a reduction in the time to approve a new vaccine.

Mr. T

Youth Team Star
Remember all the outrage over this last summer?
Whatever the shortcomings of the UK's vaccination programme, it's still some way ahead of the EU's shambolic efforts.

007Dale

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Leicester City, St Albans City
Remember all the outrage over this last summer?
Whatever the shortcomings of the UK's vaccination programme, it's still some way ahead of the EU's shambolic efforts.
I know the Government can be criticised for many things, but even its harshest critics must accept that our vaccination response has been phenomenal when compared to most of the rest of the world.
Something the Scots should remember when they are deciding on whether to leave the UK...

buncranaboy

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Bostock Stanley, Barnstoneworth United
Got called in for my first dose of the Oxford vaccine on Saturday at short notice due to many elderlies cancelling due to snow & travel difficulties. No probs on the day but yesterday was a complete wipeout though back to normal today.
Now that I have my vaccination card, I was thinking of banging on the pub door and brandishing it just to see....🤔

Loiner

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
None
Got called in for my first dose of the Oxford vaccine on Saturday at short notice due to many elderlies cancelling due to snow & travel difficulties. No probs on the day but yesterday was a complete wipeout though back to normal today.
Now that I have my vaccination card, I was thinking of banging on the pub door and brandishing it just to see....🤔
I had mine on Saturday, but the Pfizer vaccine. Have not noticed any after effects. A niece and great niece who both work in a care home were given the Oxford vaccine the previous Saturday and both suffered after effects.

sunny nunny

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Nuneaton Borough
My elderly relations who've had the jab seem to have had few problems with side effects but younger family members who work for the NHS have had a rough day or two afterwards , also the Oxford jab seems to have more side effects than the Pfizer . Having said that i'll have either in a heartbeat .

jon b

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Sheffield Utd/Wed/FC
I know the Government can be criticised for many things, but even its harshest critics must accept that our vaccination response has been phenomenal when compared to most of the rest of the world.
Something the Scots should remember when they are deciding on whether to leave the UK...

Yes, the vaccination response is looking a real success story. As was the rapid and efficient construction of the Nightingale hospitals.

Unfortunately, other elements of our handling of the pandemic have not been impressive and some have been disastrous.

No doubt the Scots will take all into account.

Kingsmere

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Rampant Rangers
From the people I know only a couple have had any reaction both men.

When I had my flu jab the next day I was feeling rough, went by the next day

Barnsley Dave

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Barnsley, Yorkshire CCC, Non-league in general
As long as you don't make unnecessary train journeys though ;)

Jim S

Junior Team Starter
It looks as though the next round of vaccinations is under way. I had a call from my GP's surgery today and am booked to have it on Saturday afternoon.
Well, it's not as if you have anything else to do on a Saturday afternoon!!!!!

hope you are keeping well, all the best.

007Dale

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Leicester City, St Albans City

The good news reported on the BBC today is that the UK already has enough doses to meet the target of giving 15 million people their first dose by the middle of February. Some of it needs packaging and testing, but it’s all in the UK.
Now, what’s interesting is that the vaccine minister is refusing to say exactly how much we have - the implication being that other countries are getting annoyed with the UK’s supply.
The EU is extremely frustrated with AstraZeneca for cuttings it’s Q1 supply. However, it seems reasonable for AZ to prioritise supplies to countries that have approved its use, rather than let a pile of vaccine sit in the EU, waiting for them to eventually approve it (if they ever do).

Loiner

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
None

Keeping ok thanks. My appointment was at 1.30, but was there 20 minutes early (by bus) and allowed in as there wasn't a Q. Out at 1.30 after 15 minutes in rest area as requested, so if there had been a match to attend in he area at 2 I would have made it. Back home for 2 instead then watch live matches on TV .

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks