Coronavirus

jon b

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Sheffield Utd/Wed/FC
Apparently we have the first two confirmed cases in the UK. In Newcastle.

A niece who works at the local B&Q tells me that they've been doing a roaring trade in face masks, particularly being bought by ethnic Chinese.

I struggled to work out why UK people stranded in China were so desperate to be flown home, when airliners with their recycled air are perfect environments for spreading the virus if there's an infected passenger on board.

On the bright side, the Blades have been able to sign a striker, Richairo Zivkovic, on loan as the Chinese league in which he plays has been suspended due to the coronavirus outbreak. Of course, that's only good news if we don't end up with a similar desperate move with our league. By that point, no doubt football would be the least of our concerns.

Part-Timer

Youth Team Sub
Of course it wouldn't be good news if he infects the rest of your squad.

The chances of a commercial face mask protecting against a virus are small. The seals are poor, people moving about and fiddling with them reduce their effectiveness and infection can occur through the eyes anyway. Better to give them to people who are already infected to reduce the risk of them passing it on (a bit) and concentrate on personal hygiene.

Kingsmere

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Rampant Rangers
Many of the population / shoppers around here wear face masks already, to be fair making it compulsory in this country for many would not be a bad thing.

jon b

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Sheffield Utd/Wed/FC
Of course it wouldn't be good news if he infects the rest of your squad.
No doubt the squad will be gleefully pointing this out to him in very unsubtle ways.

Part-Timer

Youth Team Sub
Many of the population / shoppers around here wear face masks already, to be fair making it compulsory in this country for many would not be a bad thing.
Of course In some countries (France comes to mind) the wearing of face-coverings that prevent identification of the wearer is illegal. :whistle:

Tykeoldboy

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Doncaster Rovers
Everton
Most face masks are useless and won't stop you being infected. For a face mask to be effective it must create a tight seal around the mouth and nose and the majority of masks you buy in Boots or Poundland don't do that. The selling of these ineffective masks are just a profit exercise based on peoples fear. Good hygiene and not touching your eyes and mouth with dirty hands will work better than a mask,

jon b

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Sheffield Utd/Wed/FC
I suppose one question, given the extreme measures they're introducing to combat spread of the virus, is whether the Chinese authorities are giving accurate figures as to infection and death rates.

D

Deleted member 541

I suppose one question, given the extreme measures they're introducing to combat spread of the virus, is whether the Chinese authorities are giving accurate figures as to infection and death rates.
Apparently, according to the Western media, the death rate from coronavirus is only slightly more than a normal winter flu so perhaps we shouldn't be too worried just yet. (It is of course important to bear in mind that flu should not be confused with the common cold.)

Edit; I see that the new thread about religion and philosophy that was posted on the General Chat section (by someone new to this forum) earlier today has been deleted, even though it was completely harmless and unlikely to offend anyone.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
1) You have the rates for the novel coronavirus incorect, current stats say between 2 and 4% death rate with the worst rates recorded in Wuhan, This compares to under 1% generally for flu and close to 10% for SARS (which was also a coronavirus).

2) We will not start a debate on the deletion of one thread within one on another subject. It was deleted as Spam. If you want to open a thread on philosophy, then feel free. I am yet to be convinced that any religious views can be put forward with offending anyone

Climate Change

Youth Team Star
Edit; I see that the new thread about religion and philosophy that was posted on the General Chat section (by someone new to this forum) earlier today has been deleted, even though it was completely harmless and unlikely to offend anyone.
This, coming from someone who is offended by what seems nearly every post on the Forum.........

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
As I have said, I am not going to allow this to replace the subject of this thread - but it is fair to say that Mr. Pigeon only finds nearly every one of your posts offensiveo_O

jon b

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Sheffield Utd/Wed/FC
We believe in you Leo. In this forum you're omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
...I might have settled for Omnibus!

D

Deleted member 541

As I have said, I am not going to allow this to replace the subject of this thread - but it is fair to say that Mr. Pigeon only finds nearly every one of your posts offensive
Yes, that is correct - the only posts that offend me (and probably most other people on this forum too) are those made by CC.

It might be a good idea to have a dislike button as well as the like button we already have, so that I can dislike all of CC's posts (and to be fair, he can dislike all of my posts too, if he wishes.)

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
There is an ignore function you can use. I cannot try at as I have to see all posts, but I think it means you do not see his posts, (or any post on a thread he starts)

prorege

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Fife clubs
More frequently Omnivore actually............
You beat me too it with that one, although he doesn’t look quite so omnivorous as he did a few years ago.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks