Coronavirus affect on rugby

jimmythecuckoo

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Weymouth
Yaxley

AndrewG

Ball Boy / Girl
The League Express newspaper reported this week that the National Conference League (rugby league's top amateur tier) had suspended their 2020 season. The campaign was barely underway when the lockdown started, with most clubs having played just two games, and will be declared null and void with no promotion or relegation. If play can resume this year, the plan is to host regionalised group fixtures, with successful teams moving on to knock out fixtures and, ultimately, a championship final.

jimmythecuckoo

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Weymouth
Yaxley
It will be interesting to see who benefits from the £16m.
I will also be watching closely to see what happens with Catalans and the French government!

Loiner

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
None
28th Broncos v Eels (10-50).
29th Cowboys v Titans (9.00) and Roosters v Rabbitohs (10.55).
30th Warriors v Dragons (6.00), Sharks v Tigers (8.30) and Storm v Raiders (10.35).
31st Panthers v Newcastle (7.05) and Sea Eagles v Bulldogs (9.30).
Times quoted are UK time and all are being covered live on Sky Sports.

jimmythecuckoo

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Weymouth
Yaxley
I really enjoyed the NRL round 3 I have to say.

George Williams was a revelation and if a union player like Cipriani, for example, had produced a long range pass like he did it would be national news.

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
The RFU has delivered its plan for community rugby and a
Return to competitive playing for 2020/21 season

It basically involves three potential windows when rugby might start. 14 team leagues would be divided into two regional conferences of 7 who would play each other home and away first before playing the other 7 teams later in the season. The NCA (National Leagues 1 and 2 North and South) will still play in its usual 16 team format though I would have thought it would benefit them to divide into two 8 team conferences as well especially when there might still be travel restrictions early in the season. Presumably the level 7 and below divisions with 12 teams or less would also be divided into 6 team conferences. The only problem I see with the two 7 team conferences is that it would take 28 rounds to complete the season in window 1 instead of 26 unless the two odd teams in each league without a game play each other in their rounds off.

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
They've had seasons with no promotion and relegation before. Probably pointless to resume Championship and League 1 until next year.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks