Coronavirus affect on rugby

007Dale

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Leicester City, St Albans City
Any word on who is replacing Yorkshire in the Championship? Presumably Richmond, who were 7 points clear with 5 to play.

Mike s

Junior Team Hopeful
Any word on who is replacing Yorkshire in the Championship? Presumably Richmond, who were 7 points clear with 5 to play.

We are told all issues will be announced about 6pm tonight

The suggestion is that the team with the better record in second place will be promoted where there would have been a play off between north and south or east west

R.S.Cavendish

Junior Team Regular
The RFU have, in my opinion, done an excellent job in resolving all of the final league tables for the season. I have checked them all and have absolutely no problem with their decisions.
All it needs now is for the WRU to do the same. Cardiff should be crowned champions of the Premiership.

jimmythecuckoo

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Weymouth
Yaxley
I think the opposite, I think there has been desperation for them and their excess spending to succeed.
It was great when the Broncos beat them in the million £££ game....and then made a bloody good attempt to stay up.
It will be interesting to see how NYC and Ottawa go.

Being a Catalans fan I have to say that even though London are our derby rivals (!!) I was gutted you went down.

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
Yes Richmond have been promoted to the Championship. Elsewhere in the National Leagues, Hull Ionians, Canterbury and Rotherham Titans have been relegated from NL1; Caldy (NL2 North), Taunton Titans and Tonbridge Juddians (NL2 South) have been promoted in their place. Scunthorpe, Preston Grasshoppers and Otley have been relegated from NL2 North while Bournemouth, Old Redcliffians and Sutton & Epsom have been relegated from NL2 South. Coming up to National League 2 are Blaydon, Harrogate (North Premier), Bournville (Midlands Premier), Rochford Hundred, Guernsey (London & SE Premier) and Barnstaple (South West Premier). Harrogate were 3rd in North Premier but promoted ahead of Sandal, who they trailed by one point with a game in hand. Rochford Hundred have been awarded the London & SE Premier title despite being behind Guernsey on points difference with 4 games remaining.

Stoodley Pike

Youth Team Star
Looking at the above, coupled with the failure of the Carnegie venture, is it time for a Yorkshire rugby union obituary?

R.S.Cavendish

Junior Team Regular
Oh. Just to watch Headingly RFC at Kirkstall again; or even Roundhay RFC at Chandos Park.

Climate Change

Youth Team Star
Rochford Hundred have been awarded the London & SE Premier title despite being behind Guernsey on points difference with 4 games remaining.
Rochford Hundred RFC 1999

Attachments

Last edited:

Stoodley Pike

Youth Team Star
Oh. Just to watch Headingly RFC at Kirkstall again; or even Roundhay RFC at Chandos Park.
An obituary-style piece in the Yorkshire Post, written by Dave Craven, indicates Yorkshire Carnegie will be leaving Headingley next season and reverting to calling themselves Leeds.

R.S.Cavendish

Junior Team Regular
Stoodley Pike. Could you put a link on Dave's piece, please. I can't find it on their website.

igmc

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Tranmere Rovers, Hendon, New Brighton (RIP)
For the record, attached is how the RFU determined the final league standings.

Essentially points-per-game, with home and away calculated separately.

I have also attached the 'before and after' positions for North One West, which was probably the tightest of all with seven clubs (out of 14) in with a shout of promotion. This does highlight the weakness of the ppg approach near the end of the season. For example, three of Birkenhead Park's four games left were against Burnage, Northwich and Wilmslow! So you could argue the 12 points gained via ppg are generous. On the other hand, a couple of wins and the table becomes very different.

However, there does not seem to have been much complaint from clubs across the country about the outcome and it is hard to find a better alternative.

n1w.png

Attachments

Last edited:

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks