Competitive fixtures in Wales?

Davetherave

Youth Team Regular
we've heard that some pre-season friendlies have been taking place. But when are competitive fixtures starting again in Wales? Also, are people allowed to drive into Wales from England now or would be get stopped by the police?

Kirby Knitters

First Team Starter
Team{s}
The Knitters.
Can't answer the first question but travel to Wales from England is not allowed without a reasonable excuse.

mayo

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Bradford City (lapsed)
There is no news on starting competitive games in Wales. The FAW have been in discussions with the Welsh Government regarding this, but the WG are sticking to their "rule of 30" for outdoors social gatherings. This 30 includes all the players and officials, so spectators are not allowed. Clubs are arranging friendlies throughout November & December in the hope that the real stuff can start in the New Year, but with the WG not budging I think even that is optimistic.

And no - you can't come into Wales from England. You're in lockdown, even if we aren't.

Chris1963

Reserve Team Star
So, presumably the FAW do not want to restart competitive football until spectators are allowed back into grounds?

Grandad

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Slough Town, Rhostyllen, Barmouth & Dyffryn United, Cheltenham Pilgrims
There are competitive games in Wales, Cymru Premier fixtures are happening again. I also understand that Cymru North and Cymru south are in the process of being given "elite" status and so fixtures in them may also start in the not too distant future, All I understand are BHC. So no FAW aren't waiting till spectators are allowed back, wrong assumption made...

If you read Twitter some sports are interpreting the rule of 30 in different ways to others. Hockey for example are not including medics and coaches in the number. I also believe that junior football can now not include coaches in the number. Most non elite clubs are chomping at the bit to play, but at the moment if referee and managers in the 30, can only have 13 in a squad...

Haywain

Junior Team Star
So, presumably the FAW do not want to restart competitive football until spectators are allowed back into grounds?
Not very realistic with a limit of 30 in a ground, is it? Once you’ve got ref and assistants, you’re left with no more than 13 per team, including managers, physios, etc.

Ciderjon

Junior Team Regular
We are told here that medical staff are excluded from the count of 30.

But all BCD , may well be minor football in England restarting before Wales. Roll on Dec 5th (fingers crossed)

Kirby Knitters

First Team Starter
Team{s}
The Knitters.
But all BCD , may well be minor football in England restarting before Wales. Roll on Dec 5th (fingers crossed)
Unless you are based in Wales of course where travel to England is banned without a reasonable excuse.

gcnc

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Newport County
Last weekend, apparently, a dinghy full of Somerset and Devon groundhoppers was intercepted approaching the South Wales coast. Coastguard officials said they'd never seen anything like it. Carrier bags everywhere it seems!

mayo

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Bradford City (lapsed)
Unless you are based in Wales of course where travel to England is banned without a reasonable excuse.
We don't yet know what's going to happen regarding cross-border travel after the English lockdown has been lifted. Still hopeful that I can attend a game in England on the 5th, but won't be able to if we're not allowed to travel.

Nobber

Junior Team Hopeful
The FAW Trust have mentioned that they dont think parks football - or football below T3 - will be allowed to start by the WG until a vaccine is out and available. The problem is that the 18-35 year old demographic will likely be the last group to get the vaccine.

gcnc

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Newport County
The FAW Trust have mentioned that they dont think parks football - or football below T3 - will be allowed to start by the WG until a vaccine is out and available. The problem is that the 18-35 year old demographic will likely be the last group to get the vaccine.
Some clubs are taking matters into their own hands with an unofficial league starting today

Nobber

Junior Team Hopeful
The problem is this unauthorised by the FAW and could there be repercussions?

And would players be insured if this was an unauthorised competition?

gcnc

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Newport County
No, each match is an individual, independent friendly registered and authorised by the local FA so covered by insurance and with a proper FAW referee, just like any ordinary PSF. It is just that the clubs have organised it so that they play these friendlies in a set pattern. I, like everyone, hope that the 'competition' never gets completed.

Each match has to be BCD however, though that is meaningless at Croesyceiliog and Caldicot, and almost meaningless at Abertillery Bluebirds and Goytre. Chepstow Town and Abergavenny are more enclosed. Today's three kick off times weren't publicised but all appear to have been before the expected 2pm.

Nobber

Junior Team Hopeful
No, each match is an individual, independent friendly registered and authorised by the local FA so covered by insurance and with a proper FAW referee, just like any ordinary PSF. It is just that the clubs have organised it so that they play these friendlies in a set pattern. I, like everyone, hope that the 'competition' never gets completed.

Each match has to be BCD however, though that is meaningless at Croesyceiliog and Caldicot, and almost meaningless at Abertillery Bluebirds and Goytre. Chepstow Town and Abergavenny are more enclosed. Today's three kick off times weren't publicised but all appear to have been before the expected 2pm.
Then that is great!
Everyone wants football back!!

gcnc

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Newport County
Further to my last post, Croesyceiliog have now tweeted the following;

"Please be advised that the friendlies we are in with the other teams are friendlies and not a league if we class it as a league or tournament we would be breaching FAW rules so are friendlies only"

Barbie

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Barry Town United
On a pleasant day, the view into Abergavenny's Pen-y-pound, from the hill, would be spectacular.

gcnc

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Newport County
Even better view from a hillside if Abertillery Bluebirds were to play there home games at Cwm Nantygroes. Last Saturday the game was played back at the leisure centre 3G however.

mayo

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Bradford City (lapsed)
Tier 2 has had the green light to start the league season, as it's now been classed as 'elite'. Still waiting for clarification as to whether it will be BCD or not.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks