Collating the football results for TV - 1967

The Willows

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
My parents had the Nottingham Football Post delivered on a Saturday Evening during the 1970's.

MattRam

Junior Team Star
I used to get the Green un delivered in Derby, slightly older and pick it up at the bus station after my shift at Sainsbury's, supermarket closed at 6:15pm back then. Then in my 20s from the train station before going back to York.
My first few games I got to see the results on Grandstand as ny nan only lived a few hundred yards from the Baseball Ground.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
When I lived in Cheltenham in the mid-Eighties, there was no sports paper. It was re-introuced for a while by the local paper. One seller was enterprising enough to get the Sports Argus from Birmingham. He had a fixed routine of picking it up as the train arrived at Cheltenham, selling a few copies to those waiting at the station, then doing a round of sales at Boots Corner and to some sporting clubs in the town. Any remaining could be picked up at his shop on Sunday morning. Sometimes I could be on the same train back to Cheltenham as the papers, but having not been able to grab one at New Street.

There was at the time a community of random football fans on trains, with the worst of the hooligan era having passed. If one person was on the train with a pink from one city, and someone else had the green'un from elsewhere then it was common to swap for a while, so as you could take in what the others had to say.

I also recall that when I was a student, the Bristol Evening Post published a Pink'un and a Green'un (with the titles as I have just written. Both had the same content, but one had Bath City and Bath Rugby on the front, and the Bristol clubs at the back, while the other was the other way around). I think only the final pages with match reports were printed on coloured paper and then wrapped aroud a paper produced earlier on white paper.

Ellisref

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Wrexham and a general look out for some of the friendly teams I've been observing at around the country.
Even sleepy Bournemouth had one, I think it was pink. It even managed to put a few reports of local Hampshire and Bournemouth Senior League games. I still have the cutting from 22/9/73 where I get a mention for bravery as a stand-in keeper in Hordle Spurs v Post Office (We (PO) lost 5-2).

Manchester Warrior

Youth Team Star
In Manchester, it was the Evening News "Pink Final". Usually hit the streets in the City Centre at around 5.40 p.m. or so (I.e. within an hour of the final whistle) and arrived at suburban newsagents by around 6.15 p.m. This Saturday afternoon edition used to contain quite detailed match reports (for clubs in what's now the Greater Manchester area, including United and City obviously) but only for the first 60 minutes of the match, after which it was maybe just the goalscorers (if any) for the last half hour that got mentioned.

They even managed to include a few action photographs from the opening 15-20 minutes of United / City home games. Not sure if these were wired across to the newspaper main office in the City Centre or if motorcycle couriers used to convey them.

At Old Trafford and at Maine Road, they even had a big yellow van parked up on the main forecourt most weeks that sold a special issue of the "Pink Final" within minutes of the final whistle. Although this was pre-written and didn't contain the afternoon's match reports, they did manage to somehow typeset / overprint most of the day's final scores from around the grounds in a big (somewhat jumbled up) stop press section on the back page.

SimonUpNorth

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
North West non-league
In the early 90s I would make a point of getting the Pink paper every Sat evening after whatever match I was at... I was sometimes at Old Trafford, but I had got back to Manchester city centre by about 5.30 and would root out the first shops to get them - often the paper/sweets stall (the MetroKiosk?) on the Cannon Street entrance to the Arndale bus station would be a good place to start. As I was at university in Liverpool, I would then also collect the Liverpool Echo's equivalent when I got back there.

As I usually had a radio with me at the football to listen to other matches, I would tune into GMR to get the non league roundup about 5.30ish, but they often missed out the North West Counties League (blaming results not available) and when I would see that in the Pink they also missed off NWCL, despite listing the Manchester League with no trouble. I now realise that it was due to 2pm KOs making the results of the Mcr League available to print, where the 3pm KO results were not able to be got in time for NWCL some weeks.

The main reason I liked both papers was the non league pages near the middle with all the latest news form the local clubs was, which unless you bought every edition of the Manchester Evening News / Liverpool Echo was hard work keeping on top of, especially the forthcoming week's fixtures (though cup replays made it hard work even then).

I spent a few weeks living down in Surrey in 1992 and I was surprised that the local paper shop sold the Manchester Pink on Sundays which I thought was amazing, and it became pretty much the only way to keep on top of the local Manchester football.

Last edited:

jon b

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Sheffield Utd/Wed/FC
Locally it was much easier to get hold of a copy of the "Green Un" if both United and Wednesday had lost. There might even be copies hanging around to buy on Sunday morning.

But if they'd both won then you'd need to make sure you were early enough in the queue to pick up a copy.

It was impressive how fast post match on a Saturday they were printed and distributed, descriptions of goals scored late in a game would appear in the "stop press" column.

If I'd not been to a game, there was the "thrilling" BBC tv coverage of the Teleprinter, literally showing the print head moving across the paper as it chugged away producing the final scores. With periods where the screen shot of the paper was completely static as they waited for results to be sent in. A screen showing absolutely nothing happening. :)

You'd see the score of the home team and then the suspense of waiting whilst it printed out that for the away side. Desperate suspense if your team was in a relegation struggle. :oops:

jon b

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Sheffield Utd/Wed/FC
Towards the end of its existence as a Saturday results paper I went to our local Sainsburys and asked the young girl serving on the News/Magazines/Cigarettes counter for a "Green Un".

She had obviously never heard of it. She looked at me really worriedly as though I'd asked for something obscene. :)

What would she have thought if you'd asked for a Pink Un ?

I think she'd have run off to fetch help. :oops:

The look she gave me for asking for a "Green Un", for a moment made me feel guilty and worried!

And, as Ricardo says in his post, old. :)

Manchester Warrior

Youth Team Star
If I'd not been to a game, there was the "thrilling" BBC tv coverage of the Teleprinter, literally showing the print head moving across the paper as it chugged away producing the final scores. With periods where the screen shot of the paper was completely static as they waited for results to be sent in. A screen showing absolutely nothing happening. :)

You'd see the score of the home team and then the suspense of waiting whilst it printed out that for the away side. Desperate suspense if your team was in a relegation struggle. :oops:
Sometimes you'd wonder if the home team had inexplicably won, only for your hopes to be quickly dashed.

Recent example...

Prem Lge: MANCHESTER UNITED 1....

(...wait)

(...wait a bit more)

... TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR 6 (SIX)

the final insult being the away team's score being spelt out in letters as well as numbers for added emphasis. 😧

SimonUpNorth

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
North West non-league
Yes when I'd not been to a game, Piccadilly Sport or GMR would be obsessed over, sometimes with both on at the same in case one was quicker than the other... But then come 4.40, radio off so you could get the Vidiprinter drama to full effect not knowing if there had been any last gasp goals... Maybe that was just me 😀

Also with the Manchester Pink if you waited until Sunday to buy it, there would be a different version out with a smarter front page and tidied up back page, so presume they must have done that one later on Sat when all the full reports were in

Hoddy1.

First Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Yes when I'd not been to a game, Piccadilly Sport or GMR would be obsessed over, sometimes with both on at the same in case one was quicker than the other... But then come 4.40, radio off so you could get the Vidiprinter drama to full effect not knowing if there had been any last gasp goals... Maybe that was just me 😀

Also with the Manchester Pink if you waited until Sunday to buy it, there would be a different version out with a smarter front page and tidied up back page, so presume they must have done that one later on Sat when all the full reports were in

It got a bit silly at times with me , if coming home from the west I'd stop off at New St and get the Argus , the Coventry paper , the Wolverhampton paper the London paper if I was late enough and then getting back to Crewe the Liverpool / Manchester and Stoke evening sports papers.
If the newsagents were shut on Crewe Station a chap had a mail wagon on platform 4 set up selling just Sat evening papers and the early editions of Sunday papers. A few magazines for the lady travellers as well. When there were late trains of courser
He was there till late , he made a mint.

Obviously it wasn't for the results , they helped but mainly it was for the Non League pages that were inside.
Paul Ince in the Mancy Pink was very readable.
Any of the last 3 I missed I could get on a Sunday from my local newsagent.
He also had a choice of 2 Sunday Scottish papers that were very good.

Manchester Warrior

Youth Team Star
Paul Ince in the Mancy Pink was very readable.
It was actually Paul Hince, but yes, he churned out more interesting copy than your average stringer.

Former pro footballer in the Manchester area. Pic is cover of the book he had published in 2009.

51FJ508xLjL.jpg

Hoddy1.

First Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
[/QUOTE]
Ta Warrior,
Aoologies to Mr Hince.Their were plenty of typos in yhe Pink but it was the info you needed.

Failed , how dare he , he had about 50 games for one of the leading sides in the North West , in the Football League.

Also apologies to Paul Ince, your not that old . I'm not sure about your writing prowess though.
I'm sure you have a column somewhere , I'll do like DQ & CC and await an answer.

Last edited:

MiddxSaint

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
St Albans City
Radio Luxemburg gave out the Isthmian League results for a time. Trouble was the station faded in & out so you could miss the result you were waiting for.

Ricardo

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
AFC wimbledon
Radio Luxemburg gave out the Isthmian League results for a time. Trouble was the station faded in & out so you could miss the result you were waiting for.
LBC used to read out the non league scores at about 5.30pm on a Saturday evening in the 70s

pitch 63

Reserve Team Hopeful
I have vague memories of the late 50s or early 60s when the BBC had a local programme lasting 15/20 mins covering regional football and rugby; might have been the Home Service.

Tykeoldboy

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Doncaster Rovers
Everton
Would tune in to Radio Luxembourg on a week night at around 10pm to get the footy results which was 25 minutes before News at Ten gave them out

MattRam

Junior Team Star
Back in the early 80s you could phone and get the junior/youth results for Derby City League, otherwise had to wait til Wednesday for Derby Evening Telegraph, had to make sure mum didn't catch me though.

johnr

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
NUFC (retired)
Would tune in to Radio Luxembourg on a week night at around 10pm to get the footy results which was 25 minutes before News at Ten gave them out
For me Radio Luxembourg was music to my ears!!

pitch 63

Reserve Team Hopeful
Radio Luxembourg brings back memories of listening to DJs like Tony Brandon and Keith Skues [cardboard shoes] prior to the pirate ships boosting their power so that I could listen to Radio London and later Radio Nordsee International - sorry I digress but welcome memories.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks