Clubs folding

Grandad

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Slough Town, Rhostyllen, Barmouth & Dyffryn United, Cheltenham Pilgrims
Rhyl I believe were relegated from Welsh Premier few years back due to financial issues, so not really down to pandemic. Been basket case for years.

Lionarm

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
The Lions.
All Kent teams.
Life is complicated.
Most things that happen in the human world have multiple causes. It may very well be that this club may have folded anyway but I think it will be sensible to treat any 'folds', until re-commencement of play, as having C-virus to be a substantial contributary factor. Feel free to argue about the percentage.

On this one the club says:
"The difficult decision was taken by the Board of Directors after considering the financial impact of the suspension of all football activities due to the unprecedented impact of Covid 19, the unwillingness of the Ground’s owner to consider either a long lease or sale on market terms and the ongoing fixed costs with no income prospects."

Unicorn

Youth Team Sub
Life is complicated.
Most things that happen in the human world have multiple causes. It may very well be that this club may have folded anyway but I think it will be sensible to treat any 'folds', until re-commencement of play, as having C-virus to be a substantial contributary factor. Feel free to argue about the percentage.

On this one the club says:
"The difficult decision was taken by the Board of Directors after considering the financial impact of the suspension of all football activities due to the unprecedented impact of Covid 19, the unwillingness of the Ground’s owner to consider either a long lease or sale on market terms and the ongoing fixed costs with no income prospects."
I think if you are in any form of football where you have bills to pay this situation makes life difficult.
Real grass roots football such as District or Sundays if you do not play the club can just lie dormant until you can play.

spireite1866

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Chesterfield
Kind of related but a couple of my local clubs were doing fundraising to keep going - Matlock Town and Wirksworth Ivanhoe and both have had big donations from the US yesterday taking them over their £15,000 and £3,000 respective targets.

Looks like the guy has linked to the NY Yankees amongst other things. Very random

rambler77

Junior Team Star
Kind of related but a couple of my local clubs were doing fundraising to keep going - Matlock Town and Wirksworth Ivanhoe and both have had big donations from the US yesterday taking them over their £15,000 and £3,000 respective targets.

Looks like the guy has linked to the NY Yankees amongst other things. Very random
seen the the tweets myself from both clubs.
One of them mentioned he is a film producer and his twitter profile gives Tampa, Florida as his location.

spireite1866

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Chesterfield
seen the the tweets myself from both clubs.
One of them mentioned he is a film producer and his twitter profile gives Tampa, Florida as his location.
Yeah the local press are all over this now, seems to have gathered a bit of momentum and appears the guy has linked to NY Yankees, Hollywood and NYCFC - quite an interesting, if not very random one.

He's also donated to 2 other clubs in the region - Tansley FC (£1700) and Denton Town FC (who Matlocks manager's son plays for).

rambler77

Junior Team Star
Yeah the local press are all over this now, seems to have gathered a bit of momentum and appears the guy has linked to NY Yankees, Hollywood and NYCFC - quite an interesting, if not very random one.

He's also donated to 2 other clubs in the region - Tansley FC (£1700) and Denton Town FC (who Matlocks manager's son plays for).
He has also been announced as Matlock's new Vice President.

BDA_85

Reserve Team Sub
Several of the clubs that fold over the next 12 months are likely to start the season and then fold mid-season meaning that the worst affected areas could see league sizes potentially halved as the season progresses. Results being expunged could have far reaching consequences.

Sungater

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
None
I was wondering what additional problems are facing ground sharing clubs (there are lots around here) in the current crisis. Are tenant clubs still paying “rent” even though they are not using the facilities?

If they are then they will be bearing the brunt of the financial burden with the host club losing only the bar & tea room match day profits. Unlikely to be a massive amount with the often meagre crowds attracted by the tenants.

On the other hand, if the hosts are no longer receiving rental payments they will, one assumes, be severely affected by this unforeseeable drop in their income. The tenants could, in this scenario, actually be better off as a result of the lockdown.

The loss of income from the turnstiles is likely to be significantly less than the savings in ground rental charges not to mention the other expenses involved in staging games.

I do know of one tenant club who are planning to pay the host club the final instalment for their 2019/20 groundshare agreement despite having five or six home games not played as they feel this is morally the right thing to do (they could, of course, be legally obliged to do so)

Is this the norm? and what is the legal position?. Do typical ground sharing arrangements charge per game or on a fixed fee for the season regardless of the number of games staged?

I must admit these questions are not keeping me awake at night but I would be interested in the answer.

oftenscore6

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
FC United of Manchester, St Pauli, Hammarby, Hawthorn (AFL)
Sungater, that would also affect any club which is separate from the ground ownership.

Most typically, I would expect is where the occupants are sole tenants, they may well have a yearly figure, but where there are multiple occupants, the fees would more likely be per game, enabling the possibility to source odd games elsewhere in the event of fixture clashes or pitch problems.

Even with the bulk of the fee being fixed or variable, there might be elements which apply on the other basis - staffing likely on a per game basis regardless, whilst legal and maintenance costs may be per agreement or season, even if the regular charge is per game.

Tintin

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Sheffield FC
Apologies for any naivety here (and don't mind being shouted down) I wondered, is it possible that some non clubs might be saving money by not playing? I was expecting more rumours of clubs going under in a way by this time. Pleasantly surprised, though could be looking in all the wrong places.

Kirby Knitters

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
The Knitters.
I doubt there are many clubs saving money by not playing as rent, ground maintenance etc still needs paying.

Ladderman

Youth Team Sub
If a club loses money on home games, not playing them for final few weeks pf the season would have saved them some cash. The rent has to be paid regardless

sunny nunny

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Nuneaton Borough
At this moment clubs are in what would have been there closed season time anyway so probably not that much difference . Inability or difficulty in selling season tickets & sponsorship for next season will soon start to hit clubs then the loss of pre season games , almost free money . I'm guessing by the time they actually start playing again many will really be in dire straights .

Claret&BluePixels

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
South Shields FC
Finally got round to reading the NLP and im sorryif this has already been mentioned

There was a worrying piece on Page 2 about Blackfield & Langley being worried that they will not be allowed to take a voluntary double relegation after their main financial backers pulled out

Kirby Knitters

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
The Knitters.
And then there are the thriving club houses that serve the local community with profits going into the football club. Very bad all round but many have decent outdoor areas so if the government is to be believed then these establishments will be reopened first which will be good news for quite a few clubs.

windydcfc

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Derby County, England & Borussia Mönchengladbach
Finally got round to reading the NLP and im sorryif this has already been mentioned

There was a worrying piece on Page 2 about Blackfield & Langley being worried that they will not be allowed to take a voluntary double relegation after their main financial backers pulled out
I'm sure that the Southern League would be more than happy for them to be demoted out of their league. Especially when they haven't even got a D Ground Grading required for step 4. Never mind the C Ground Grading required for step 3.

Ladderman

Youth Team Sub

Wanting a double demotion smacks of bad financial management (which includes over reliance on sugar daddies) and a wish to avoid being tonked by the clubs you were happy hand out beatings to on the way up

paulh66

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
Wanting a double demotion smacks of bad financial management (which includes over reliance on sugar daddies) and a wish to avoid being tonked by the clubs you were happy hand out beatings to on the way up
Or the inevitable consequence of mandatory promotion? Exacerbated by a pandemic (but only exacerbated by it).

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks