Cities you've been to but only for football (or any other sport).

Sale Holmfield

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Altrincham
Good to read the posts about Colchester as I will be there next weekend. Although I have been to the town three times, I can only really remember visiting the centre for a short time prior to Altrincham's Cup game there in 2015. I walked to and from the new ground and actually reached Colchester station just at the time when the shuttle bus after the game did. There does seem to be a tendency for buses to run when out of town grounds are first opened, before getting withdrawn,
I did visit the town centre, though, so can't count that, for this thread. The only places I can think of , although there may be a handful more, are Pershore, which a friend and I visited by car; the plan was to go to Forest Green Rovers, but bad traffic made us turn off to get a game and go straight to the ground, shortly before kick off, and Cambuslang, where it was a matter of getting a train from Glasgow to Cambuslang and then walking to the ground which was immediately outside.

The vulture

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Groundhog
An excellent description Pete - the epitome of unexciting suburbia. The only pub near to the station would've been the Bricklayers Arms, and not a bad choice.
I'm led to believe that the shuttle bus, that ran from the station to the ground, and back after the game, no longer exists. If you want to get to the ground from the station now, it's walking, or a cab. I'm pretty sure no buses will get you to the ground.
Plenty of buses, the park and ride ones. The P&R is just a few minutes walk from the ground.

Waldorf

Junior Team Starter
Park & Ride is probably your best option from the station. When the P & R system was first introduced, it was not possible to get on and off at the station - it was a non-stop service from the P & R car park to the town centre, and the same when coming back. The powers-that-be relented, and it is now possible to get on and off at the station, although you'd need to know where you're going to locate the bus stops (they're not the ones located outside the station entrance/exit!).
The actual P & R terminus/car park is located past the stadium, and on the other side of the main A12, so it means a walk back to it prior to the game, and a seemingly walk in the wrong direction afterwards.
I'm just saying that a trip to Colchester's stadium is not the easiest if using public transport.

Chris1963

First Team Starter
I'm just saying that a trip to Colchester's stadium is not the easiest if using public transport.
But still much easier to walk from the station than some other relatively new FL venues (Oxford United in particular)

Waldorf

Junior Team Starter
But still much easier to walk from the station than some other relatively new FL venues (Oxford United in particular)
Chris - I will bow to your superior knowledge on that, as I've never been to any others.
I grew up in the town Colchester but, as a septuagenarian with no real fondness for walking, I much preferred my regular visits to the old Layer Road ground of my formative years than my infrequent visits to the Community Stadium, or whatever it calls itself these days.

Manchester Warrior

Reserve Team Starter
Not had occasion to visit the new Colchester United ground yet. Only ever whizzed by on the nearby A12.

How far's the walk (distance/time) to/from the two Colchester rail station(s)? Two miles / 40 minutes?

Chris1963

First Team Starter
Not had occasion to visit the new Colchester United ground yet. Only ever whizzed by on the nearby A12.

How far's the walk (distance/time) to/from the two Colchester rail station(s)? Two miles / 40 minutes?
From the main station, yes it should be no more than 40 minutes (probably a bit less) but make sure you walk via Boxted Road rather than than the more circuitous United Way.

Unlikely that anyone would want to use the much smaller Town station unless they were travelling from somewhere like Clacton or Wivenhoe.

johnr

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
NUFC (retired)
From the main station, yes it should be no more than 40 minutes (probably a bit less) but make sure you walk via Boxted Road rather than than the more circuitous United Way.

Unlikely that anyone would want to use the much smaller Town station unless they were travelling from somewhere like Clacton or Wivenhoe.
Thought it was 30 mins #33 😂😂

Kingsmere

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Rampant Rangers
If the trains fit (certainly on a Saturday) Radley must be a better option for the Kassam if you like a nice walk (last mile excepted).

Be fine when the Cowley link is opened ☺

NeilH

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Cambridge City
Stand out trips for me are:

Canterbury'; a number of visits to Kingsmead in the 80's with Cambridge City, never ventured off the stadium site in those days.......

Cardiff: Two trips to Ninian Park, was there the night Jock Stein died and a re-visit a couple of years later on a weekend was in and out on the train as well.

Coventry: Midweek to Highfield Road in the early 80's, not sure if a few visits to the outskirts for work in the last 20 years really counts as a 'proper' visit.

Exeter: Saw Cambridge City lose here in the FA Cup and then the FA Trophy in the early/mid 2000's. Despite a very close friend living here at the time circumstances meant that both visits were in and out on the day.

Leeds: Straight to Elland Road from the station in the 80's, not been back to Leeds since apart from a game at Farsley in the 2000's with Cambridge City and that was a drive in and out.

Leicester: Midweek to Filbert Street in the 80's and a couple of games at Leicester United in the same decade.

Liverpool: midweek ventures to Goodison & Anfield, no more than that.

Newcastle: January 2008 stayed in Newcastle ahead of a midweek FA Cup tie against Stoke City, the night Keegan returned. A walk from a City centre Travelodge to St James is as much as I can count as a trip to Newcastle. Working in Redcar the next day hence the trip to the NE.

Swansea: In and out from Cambridge for a Welsh Cup Final in the 80's in midweek with a mate driving.

Worcester: A Cambridge City away trip on the club coach didn't allow time to venture further than the bar and a look at the canal in December 1990.

Bigaitch

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
None in particular
Oslo, Edinburgh, Belfast, Milan, Dortmund, Frankfurt, Rotterdam, Swansea, and probably a load more.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks