Celebrity Deaths 2021

Bigaitch

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
None in particular
We have been to visit Ground Zero twice and it no easier to comprehend what happened on that fateful day the second time around,to say it's an emotionally moving experience is a complete understatement.RIP to that gentleman and all the poor souls that perished that day.

I totally concur with your thoughts. I have been twice, as a form of pilgrimage as I went to the top of the WTC twice. I have often wondered if those who served me my pizza and coffee on the top floor of those visits were amongst those who perished and I go cold at the thought. There for the grace of god.

hamlet

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
anyone non league
I totally concur with your thoughts. I have been twice, as a form of pilgrimage as I went to the top of the WTC twice. I have often wondered if those who served me my pizza and coffee on the top floor of those visits were amongst those who perished and I go cold at the thought. There for the grace of god.
[/QUOTENever a truer word,they are in a lot of the Friends episodes and l wonder how many of the people inside survived if they still worked inside on that day.We came across the Midtown Fire House whilst sightseeing,there is a tribute in the front to Engine 54 and Truck 4 Battalion 9,no survivors as they were one of the first responders and were in one of the Towers when it collapsed,18 brave men perished trying to save their fellow human beings.Yes the second time we went it did feel like a pilgrimage to pay your respects to the dead,but l don't think you can ever fully comprehend the events of that day.

Oxpete

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
Ronald Pickup a brilliant actor has died aged 80. He was superb as a Russian emigre in Fortunes of War.

Excellent in just about everything he ever appeared in. But perhaps most memorable for me in his part as the forger in Fred Zinnemann's 'The Day Of The Jackal' in 1973...

1614364970280.png

Oxpete

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
The death of the actor Keith Buckley has been announced. He was 79.

He appeared in many television dramas and films through the sixties and seventies, including 'The Spy Who Loved Me' (1977) and 'The Eagle Has Landed' (1976). He also appeared in the episode of The Sweeney called 'Faces' (Series 2 episde 2, first broadcast 8th September 1975) alongside the excellent Colin Welland. Possibly my favourite Sweeney episode, he plays an infiltrator in a politically motivated gang of wages-van blaggers.

1614372421658.png

jon b

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Sheffield Utd/Wed/FC
Excellent in just about everything he ever appeared in. But perhaps most memorable for me in his part as the forger in Fred Zinnemann's 'The Day Of The Jackal' in 1973...

View attachment 9530

Thanks for that. As you say a memorable performance. I've seen the film several times recently but hadn't realised it was him.

Which I suppose, goes to show how fine an actor he was.

Oxpete

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
The death has been announced of British television director Peter Harris at the age of 88.

Harris was one of just two directors on the original The Muppet Show, working on the first 73 episodes. In 1984 he became the director of ITV's Spitting Image, as well as being part of the crew behind O.T.T., before then directing the television show Bullseye. It was Harris who coined many of Jim Bowen's catchphrases, including "Stay out of the black and in the red, there's nothing in this game for two in a bed", and he was also responsible for finding the weekly prizes...

1614467376500.png

Oxpete

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
The death of American television executive and producer Jamie Tarses was announced earlier this month. Aged just 56, she suffered a stroke during a fall last year, and never regained consciousness.

Tarses became the first woman to serve as entertainment president of an American broadcast network. Having previously worked on the development of the show 'Cheers' for NBC, it was Tarses' insistence and determination that led to the launching and developing of 'Frasier' in 1993.

1614470939629.png

Manchester Warrior

Reserve Team Hopeful
Johnny Briggs (Coronation Street) 85
Sad to hear that. As many will remember, Briggs played the abrasive character Mike Baldwin in the ITV soap drama 'Coronation Street' for many years.

Famously in 1983 when Manchester United were playing Arsenal in a League Cup semi-final at Old Trafford, ITV were broadcasting a much-anticipated episode of the programme and the message ‘Ken and Deirdre reunited – Ken 1 Mike 0’ was flashed up on the scoreboard above the old 'J' stand. 🏟

Cue much raucous cheering.

Oxpete

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
Sad to hear that. As many will remember, Briggs played the abrasive character Mike Baldwin in the ITV soap drama 'Coronation Street' for many years.

Famously in 1983 when Manchester United were playing Arsenal in a League Cup semi-final at Old Trafford, ITV were broadcasting a much-anticipated episode of the programme and the message ‘Ken and Deirdre reunited – Ken 1 Mike 0’ was flashed up on the scoreboard above the old 'J' stand. 🏟

Cue much raucous cheering.

Always at the centre of some of the best scenes in Coronation Street over the years, especially when he was able to get a punch in on that Cock Roach!

"Packet of my cigars please, Betty!" - Mike Baldwin at his finest!

1614540127043.png

derekn

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Sherborne Town, Taunton Town
Reggae legend Bunny Wailer has died, aged 73

Oxpete

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
The British actor Frank Mills has died at the age of 93.

In a television career of over fifty years, he was probably best known as Billy Williams in Coronation Street, which he appeared in from 1995 to 1997. He also appeared in several episodes of Minder including as Harry Martin in the episode 'Get Daly' (first broadcast 14th March 1984) and as Arthur Daly's brother Len in the Gary Webster episodes of the early-nineties.

1614820528275.png

Bagman

Reserve Team Starter
Nicola Pagett, who portrayed the rebellious daughter Elizabeth Bellamy on the acclaimed 1970s British miniseries Upstairs, Downstairs, died Wednesday of complications from a brain tumor, The Guardian reported. She was 75.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock