Celebrity Deaths 2020 (& Dec 19)

derekn

Team{s}
Taunton Town
Guinean music maestro Mory Kanté has died from chronic illness after being prevented from flying to France for regular treatment because of Coronavirus restrictions. He was 70.

Bagman

Youth Team Sub
Tony Scannell, the actor best known for playing DS Ted Roach in the ITV police procedural The Bill, has died at the age of 74.

Oxpete

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Pompey
The American actor Richard Herd has died at the age of 87, of cancer.

He is probably most recognisable in this country from his appearances in the television films 'V' (1983) and 'V: The Final Battle' (1984), when he played the aliens' supreme commander. He also played Captain Dennis Sheridan in 'T.J.Hooker' alongside William Shatner, and also played Mr.Wilhelm in 'Seinfeld' where he was George Costanza's boss at the New York Yankees.

Other television appearances included 'M*A*S*H', 'The Rockford Files', 'Starsky & Hutch', and 'NYPD Blue' among others.

1590874599823.png

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
Actor Michael Angelis, best known for his role as Chrissy Todd in Boys From The Blackstuff, has died aged 76.

paulh66

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
Actor Michael Angelis, best known for his role as Chrissy Todd in Boys From The Blackstuff, has died aged 76.
Arguably Alan Bleasdale's finest work. Bernard Hill's Yosser took most of the plaudits but Michael Angelis' performance, although more subtle, was just as powerful. And a step up from playing Lucien (with his rabbits) in the Liver Birds!
RIP

Oxpete

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Pompey
Arguably Alan Bleasdale's finest work. Bernard Hill's Yosser took most of the plaudits but Michael Angelis' performance, although more subtle, was just as powerful. And a step up from playing Lucien (with his rabbits) in the Liver Birds!
RIP
Also famous in later years for narrating the later 'Thomas The Tank Engine'/'Thomas & Friends' childrens' television shows, after taking over from Ringo Starr in 1991.

In 1980, he appeared in 'Minder' in the episode The Dessert Song (series 1, ep.10), as a Cypriot waiter. And in 1982 he appeared in 'The Professionals' in the rather fancifully absurd episode Lawson's Last Stand (series 5, ep.4), starring as AWOL squaddie Len Clarke who teams up with another couple of Army ne'er-do-wells who plan to detonate a germ-warfare bomb in London.

1590947424332.png

Oxpete

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Pompey
The German actress Suzanne Roquette has died at the age 77.

She was most famous for starring in twenty-two episodes of the science-fiction television drama 'Space: 1999' in 1975 and 1976, as the character Tanya Alexander. She also appeared in 'Lovejoy', 'Sorry!' and 'Band Of Brothers' among others. She was also involved in the direction and production of the film 'Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade' (1989).

1591033868642.png

Last edited:

Ronsdog

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Lowestoft Town
Crystal Palace
Bulgarian born artist Christo, best known for wrapping buildings and famous landmarks in fabric or plastic, has died at his home in New York, aged 84.
He passed away of natural causes on Sunday, according to a statement posted on the artist's official Facebook page.
Christo, who always worked with his wife Jeanne-Claude, famously covered the Reichstag in Berlin and the Pont-Neuf in Paris with reams of cloth.
His artworks "brought people together" around the world, the statement says.
"Christo lived his life to the fullest, not only dreaming up what seemed impossible, but realising it," it reads, adding that the couple's art "lives on in our hearts and memories".

Photographs of his monumental works ordorn the walls of my downstairs loo and never fail to illicit comment.

Ropemaker

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Hailsham Town
Steve Priest, bassist and vocalist with The Sweet, has died age 72

Tykeoldboy

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Doncaster Rovers
Everton
Steve Priest, bassist and vocalist with The Sweet, has died age 72
I remember watching Sweet on TOTP with Steve dressing up in drag

Oxpete

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Pompey
American actor Gene Dynarski died on 27th February, aged 86.

He is best known for appearing in Steven Spielberg's 'Close Encounters Of The Third Kind' (1977), as well as a minor part as a truck driver in the cafe scene in Spielberg's epic film 'Duel' (1971). In the disaster-film 'Earthquake' (1974), he played the character Fred, a worker at the Mulholland Dam and the earthquake's very first fatality.

More recently, he made two memorable appearances as Izzy Mandelbaum Jr in the Sienfeld episodes 'The English Patient' and 'The Blood' (both 1997).

1591575700616.png

Last edited:

Oxpete

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Pompey
Hawaiian-born actress Kellye Nakahara has died of cancer at the age of 72.

She is most famous for appearing in 167 episodes of 'M*A*S*H' between 1973 and 1983, as Nurse Kellye.

1591576615720.png

Last edited:

Bagman

Youth Team Sub
US singer Bonnie Pointer has died aged 69.

She and her sisters rose to fame as the Grammy award-winning Pointer Sisters, who were best known for the hits Jump (For My Love) and I'm So Excited.

"Our family is devastated," her sister Anita told the Associated Press on Monday.

"On behalf of my siblings and I and the entire Pointer family, we ask for your prayers at this time."

Bonnie and her sister June Pointer originally performed as a duet and were later joined by their sisters Anita and Ruth.

The Pointer Sisters became popular in the 1970s and won the first of their three Grammy Awards for the song Fairytale in 1975.

Cherryhopper

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
Ricky Valance, the first Welsh singer to have a number one hit with 'Tell Laura I Love Her' in 1960, has died aged 84.

Belushi

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Coventry City
Ricky Valance, the first Welsh singer to have a number one hit with 'Tell Laura I Love Her' in 1960, has died aged 84.
Apart from Shirley Bassey, that is.

"As I Love You" 1959.

And Ricky was born in 1939 in Monmouthshire, which at that time was technically in England.

Last edited:

007Dale

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Leicester City, St Albans City
Snooker legend Willie Thorne has died aged 66

Oxpete

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Pompey
Snooker legend Willie Thorne has died aged 66
Such sad news. By all accounts a really friendly and decent bloke, and an excellent snooker player - played the game with pace, was fluent around the table, and always had an eye for the long pot.

Here is his fine performance in the 1986 World Championship against a 17yo Stephen Hendry in the first round. This was Hendry's Crucible debut (he'd go on to win the WC seven times in the nineties), with Willie Thorne winning a close match 10~8. Thorne would go on to reach the quarter-finals that year before losing to Cliff Thorburn.

Bagman

Youth Team Sub
Dame Vera Lynn, the Forces' Sweetheart whose songs helped raise morale in World War Two, has died aged 103.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks