Bury FC/AFC

shimtoan

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Dunkirk
Where did you get that figure from? The league would surely never stand for it. And to think people complained about the new Hereford club charging £8 at step 5.
it's in the article.

I thought there was a maximum charge allowed at each level?

BillShep

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
City of Liverpool FC
You obviously never read the link then.
Here's me thinking you researched well..
Here it is to save you the effort...

"He said he had an agreement in principle with Capital Bridging, not bound by a formal contract, with £4 of every ticket sold, Benwell not ruling out prices of around £15 in the North West Counties, helping to pay the interest on the remainder of the mortgage."

Not sure how many will be supporting that price at NWCFL level, even if they are winning...

shimtoan

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Dunkirk
You obviously never read the link then.
Here's me thinking you researched well..
Here it is to save you the effort...

"He said he had an agreement in principle with Capital Bridging, not bound by a formal contract, with £4 of every ticket sold, Benwell not ruling out prices of around £15 in the North West Counties, helping to pay the interest on the remainder of the mortgage."

Not sure how many will be supporting that price at NWCFL level, even if they are winning...
I'm not even sure £15 would be allowed. Hereford were only allowed to charge a maximum of £8 at Step 5

Kirby Knitters

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
The Knitters.
Got down the first paragraph of link and gave up as it has very little interest to me but hey thank you for showing me the error of my ways. just to repeat they will not get away with charging such an amount and shows a lack of research on the part of Benwell.

Last edited:

dtr1989

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Bury FC
I'm a Bury fan (well was!).

So basically this is what has happened in short. Bury FC was obviously expelled from the league. The owner Steven Dale who came in just over a year ago and publicly promised a community club etc, just completely neglected the club by not paying staff, players and suppliers. He has released numerous rambling statements over the past few months criticizing the EFL and putting the blame on them. The EFL have a process when a new owner wants to take control of a club called the 'fit and proper persons test'. Dale has liquidated over 50 companies. His career is in asset stripping. How can this man pass a test to own a football club? The same could be said for many owners across the EFL.

In light of this, Burys supporters club 'Forever Bury' who I have been vocally against for a long time, only got involved when fans were asking where they were and what they were doing. They initially seemed to do some good work, linking up with the local MP James Frith in trying to get a new owner to take over. Dale refused to respond to the interested parties and this went down the drain. Cue a few months and Forever Bury sell some of their stake to Robert Benwell without any consultation with their members. Benwell has also got a history of dodgy businesses but Forever Bury have put all of their eggs in one basket with him. One of the Forever Bury prominent members, Dean Hamer, stepped back from Forever Bury and publicly shamed them for doing what they did. Forever Bury and the phoenix club were working together until Forever Bury sold their stake - the phoenix club also publicly said that they don't condone what has happened and will no longer be working with Forever Bury.

The phoenix club appears to be, and states it is, a completely independent club created by fans and for fans. There are a few people behind it, the most notable is a man called Dominic Martinez - a lifelong Bury fan. What he appears to have done so far is impressive. The phoenix clubs plan is to bring football back to Gigg Lane - this probably won't be possible next season - so they have agreed a groundshare with Radcliffe. The phoenix applied for the NWCFL as that is where the first application needs to go. Whether the club would be placed there or higher is yet to be decided. They may be placed higher due to crowd safety issues.

Now lets tie the above up as it is pretty confusing.

The phoenix club who have applied for the NWCFL are completely independent of anyone and anything. They have however stated that if the Bury FC owner sells to a credible person or a fans consortium then they will pull out of creating a phoenix.

The supporters club Forever Bury and Robert Benwell are working together to try and obtain Gigg Lane. Why Benwell has an interest in this? Probably to get his hands on the land. Their plan is to get hold of the ground so that either Bury FC OR the phoenix can use it - depending on outcomes.

Bury FC - only Steve Dale knows what is happening. There was a recent WUP and it was dismissed as Dale had paid the debts off. Its all a bit strange.

windydcfc

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Derby County, England & Borussia Mönchengladbach
I'm a Bury fan (well was!).

So basically this is what has happened in short. Bury FC was obviously expelled from the league. The owner Steven Dale who came in just over a year ago and publicly promised a community club etc, just completely neglected the club by not paying staff, players and suppliers. He has released numerous rambling statements over the past few months criticizing the EFL and putting the blame on them. The EFL have a process when a new owner wants to take control of a club called the 'fit and proper persons test'. Dale has liquidated over 50 companies. His career is in asset stripping. How can this man pass a test to own a football club? The same could be said for many owners across the EFL.

In light of this, Burys supporters club 'Forever Bury' who I have been vocally against for a long time, only got involved when fans were asking where they were and what they were doing. They initially seemed to do some good work, linking up with the local MP James Frith in trying to get a new owner to take over. Dale refused to respond to the interested parties and this went down the drain. Cue a few months and Forever Bury sell some of their stake to Robert Benwell without any consultation with their members. Benwell has also got a history of dodgy businesses but Forever Bury have put all of their eggs in one basket with him. One of the Forever Bury prominent members, Dean Hamer, stepped back from Forever Bury and publicly shamed them for doing what they did. Forever Bury and the phoenix club were working together until Forever Bury sold their stake - the phoenix club also publicly said that they don't condone what has happened and will no longer be working with Forever Bury.

The phoenix club appears to be, and states it is, a completely independent club created by fans and for fans. There are a few people behind it, the most notable is a man called Dominic Martinez - a lifelong Bury fan. What he appears to have done so far is impressive. The phoenix clubs plan is to bring football back to Gigg Lane - this probably won't be possible next season - so they have agreed a groundshare with Radcliffe. The phoenix applied for the NWCFL as that is where the first application needs to go. Whether the club would be placed there or higher is yet to be decided. They may be placed higher due to crowd safety issues.

Now lets tie the above up as it is pretty confusing.

The phoenix club who have applied for the NWCFL are completely independent of anyone and anything. They have however stated that if the Bury FC owner sells to a credible person or a fans consortium then they will pull out of creating a phoenix.

The supporters club Forever Bury and Robert Benwell are working together to try and obtain Gigg Lane. Why Benwell has an interest in this? Probably to get his hands on the land. Their plan is to get hold of the ground so that either Bury FC OR the phoenix can use it - depending on outcomes.

Bury FC - only Steve Dale knows what is happening. There was a recent WUP and it was dismissed as Dale had paid the debts off. Its all a bit strange.
Dale hasn’t paid all the debt off. The CVA with the creditors, had a six months period period in which Dale had to start paying back the reduced debts(I believe that the CVA was only agreed, because a majority creditor was his son in laws credit company & this is the debt that is being investigated). Sports Journo Mike Minay posted on twitter when the the WUP was dismissed, that the 6 months was up in January and his understanding was that nothing had been paid. So expect Bury to be back in court very soon & the saga will drag on for a while yet. So a quick sale & Bury FC placed at step 2, 3 or 4 is looking a long shot as it stands. We could have a Bromsgrove Rovers/Sporting, or a Northwich Vics/1874 scenario.

oftenscore6

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
FC United of Manchester, St Pauli, Hammarby, Hawthorn (AFL)
I wouldn't count on that as a reason. We had over 6000 in NWC at Gigg Lane back in 2004/5, and the away games were moved to larger stadiums where necessary. We also played a few home games at Radcliffe too. No reason that couldn't be done again. If there is a higher level placement, it would be to reflect some continuity with the old club, but I don't think that'll happen if it's still limping along.

Best of luck with this, sensible to have got the phoenix application in, so there's a guarantee of a team to support next season.

Claret&BluePixels

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
South Shields FC
Just listened to the NL Full Time podcast and they seem convinced that Bury wont be in the National League next season

windydcfc

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Derby County, England & Borussia Mönchengladbach
Just listened to the NL Full Time podcast and they seem convinced that Bury wont be in the National League next season
I don’t think they’ll exist next month, never mind being placed in any league.

paulh66

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
The Guardian's David Conn has tweeted that "Bury FC owner Steve Dale has defaulted on the CVA he agreed last summer, and the club is now almost certain to go into liquidation."

At least £2m was due to be paid under the CVA by Feb 11.

I guess the endgame for the fans remains unchanged, namely that the ground ends up in safe hands and hosts football again, and Dale doesn't profit from his involvement.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks