Best pub before a game

johnr

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
NUFC (retired)
There are good threads WDYG and general Proper Pubs, how about posting the best pub you went to before a game from now. Personally it is a tragedy not to have a real ale before a game, but it can be anybodies fancy. I will post on Saturday.

paulh66

First Team Star
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
I'll give a shout out for The Hope, a couple of minutes walk from Carshalton's ground and handy for the station too. Good selection and usually in tip top condition.

Worth making time for a pint in the clubhouse too. Two handpumps, usually at least one from the Windsor & Eton brewery, and invariably well looked after.

aiwa

Youth Team Hopeful
The Plough in Galgate, Lancaster. Had a pint of ale and a plate of chips immediately prior to actually playing against Galgate Reserves on the ground behind the pub in February 1986, I scored in a 5-3 defeat.

johnr

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
NUFC (retired)
On the way to Cobham today, broke journey in Guildford. Pub of the day Royal Oak, Guildford and beer Surrey Hills' Ranmore

Manchester Warrior

Reserve Team Sub
The Clockwork Beer Company on the Cathcart Road (near Hampden Park, Glasgow) which has its own microbrewery, has been quite agreeable on the previous occasions I've been there ahead of a Queens Park FC home game.

jbattheground

Youth Team Sub
The Leyton Technical Pub on Leyton High Road springs to mind. Visited before my trip to Brisbane Road last year, and before that broke up a tube journey out to Redbridge's ground. Friendly place with good beer selection.

willesden

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Scarborough Athletic, Hull City & Hendon
Cutlers Arms at Rotherham takes some beating.

Good atmosphere. Lovely Chantry Brewery Ales and a pie oven. Dreamland for me!

Bigaitch

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
None in particular
The Leyton Technical Pub on Leyton High Road springs to mind. Visited before my trip to Brisbane Road last year, and before that broke up a tube journey out to Redbridge's ground. Friendly place with good beer selection.
I don’t know what it is like nowadays, but a few hundred yards up the road from the Technical is the Coach & Horses which was an excellent pub. Always had decent ales on and was a huge place. The governor and his wife were both as grumpy as anything but somehow that added to the pub. Not been in for a while but may have to venture up for a bit of research.

oftenscore6

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
FC United of Manchester, St Pauli, Hammarby, Hawthorn (AFL)
Cutlers Arms at Rotherham takes some beating.

Good atmosphere. Lovely Chantry Brewery Ales and a pie oven. Dreamland for me!
Indeed, I was there for several excellent pints before Denaby Main FC on May 8!

Anyone coming to FC United of Manchester can expect 4 cask ales at home games usually - 3 Bootleg and 1 from the area of the opponents (and/or sometimes the previous opponents if it did not turn up on time). Pre-game in Manchester, the Marble Arch and Beatniks Republic are both very close to bus stops leading to the ground; or if coming from Oldham, the Cob & Coal (and now also the Fox & Pine) or Ashton Arms both have very good beer and close to buses to our ground.

But perhaps I ought to concentrate on those really close to the ground. For which, the Coach & Horses at Dronfield must be in with a shout of this. Stanford Arms and Mariners Rest in Lowestoft fit the bill, the Fleece at Mossley, and a load to choose from in Lewes and for Derby County.

Shotover

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Aldershot
Three Stags Head, Wardlow Mire. Only outlet for Abbeydale Black Lurcher, 7.2 %. Ideal stop off if going to any of the White Peak HVL grounds. And as for the pork pies!!!!!!!!!!

Oxpete

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Pompey
There are several excellent pubs in the streets close to Halesowen FC’s ground, but best of the lot is the fantastic Waggon & Horses at 21 Stourbridge Road, just down the road from the ground gates.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock