Best beers this month

Oxpete

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
The second Co-Op visited was the one in Headington, about three miles east of the centre of Oxford (I had to go to the nearby JR Hospital on Friday), where the range wasn't perhaps as wide as at Botley, but was still worthwhile.

Here I picked up...

Loddon Hocus Pocus Old Ale 5%
Chiltern Hills Malt Voyager IPA 5%
Ramsbury Flint Knapper 4.2%
XT4 Session Amber 4.2%

1616960962927.png

These seemed to be around the £2.20~£2.40 per bottle price, though they had some offers on some other choices.

I'm guessing that with all these beers being relatively local (Oxon/Wilts/Bucks), the manager of the stores might have some sort of input into what comes in. Is this the case with any Co-Op stores used by other posters in other areas of the country? When I next get down to Hampshire, I'll see what the range is like in the Co-Op stores there.

(Note: the Botley and Headington stores are both medium-sized supermarkets. I wouldn't expect the same sort of range in the little neighbourhood Local/Metro-type places, though I will also check there next time I'm passing).

Cleeve

Youth Team Regular
For the last few weeks the Mermaid pub in St Albans has had a stall on the (temporary) food market on Fridays.

19th March, draught beers purchased:
2pts Shakespeare Othello (dark ruby)
2pts Three Brewers Classic (amber)

26th March, draught beers purchased:
2pts Tring Colley Dog (dark ruby)
2pts Three Brewers Copper

Needless to say they were all excellent.

Attachments

• SStAP 1080.jpg
    SStAP 1080.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

derekn

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Sherborne Town, Taunton Town
The second Co-Op visited was the one in Headington, about three miles east of the centre of Oxford (I had to go to the nearby JR Hospital on Friday), where the range wasn't perhaps as wide as at Botley, but was still worthwhile.

Here I picked up...

XT4 Session Amber 4.2%

View attachment 10908

These seemed to be around the £2.20~£2.40 per bottle price, though they had some offers on some other choices.

I'm guessing that with all these beers being relatively local (Oxon/Wilts/Bucks), the manager of the stores might have some sort of input into what comes in. Is this the case with any Co-Op stores used by other posters in other areas of the country? When I next get down to Hampshire, I'll see what the range is like in the Co-Op stores there.

(Note: the Botley and Headington stores are both medium-sized supermarkets. I wouldn't expect the same sort of range in the little neighbourhood Local/Metro-type places, though I will also check there next time I'm passing).
Ramsbury brewery on fire last week
Brewery fire

Oxpete

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
Have found out a bit about the Co-Op's policy on stocking local ales...

Co-Op

It's from 2017, so things have moved on from there - from what I saw on the shelves in Botley, obviously moved on a great deal.

This map is also therefore a bit out-of-date, but it gives an idea of what they're trying to achieve: some local beers available across the country, some local beers available locally, and other breweries recommended by customers.

1617047889643.png

Sale Holmfield

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Altrincham
I happened to go in the Co-op by Cheltenham Spa station a few years ago, and thought what a good choice there was and got a couple for the train journey. That inspired me to try the Co-ops in Sale and Stockport, but the choice was not comparable in the slightest.

I have noticed, however,, that my local Co-op always has beers from Robinsons which are specially labelled for the Co-op and cheaper than other beers. On the map, Robinsons are shown as being available nationally, not that I would particularly seek them out.

InvictaBuck

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
AFC Telford United, Gillingham, Folkestone Invicta, Witham Town, Woking, Fisher.

Here I picked up...

XT4 Session Amber 4.2%

View attachment 10908

Yes, the Co-op in Chelmsford opposite the bus station has a large stock of Bishop Nick beers at all times. 😋

SME

Junior Team Starter
Team{s}
Bradford Park Avenue, Sutton United, Northwood

Here I picked up...

XT4 Session Amber 4.2%

View attachment 10908

The Co-op's in Luton and district tend to have a good range of local beers, including Oakham which is popular in the pubs locally. A couple of Robinsons are usually available at low prices - I enjoy them as they are decent beers and not normally available in the pubs (when open).

oftenscore6

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
FC United of Manchester, St Pauli, Hammarby, Hawthorn (AFL)
March top 5 beers for me:
1) Garage Triangles (Beer Merchants delivery) - Session IPA
2) Unbarred Berry Sour (Unbarred brewery delivery) - Sour
3) Tiny Rebel Shimmy Shimmy (Beer 52) - New England IPA
4) Squawk Rufa (Local off license) - Imperial Stout
5) Ridgeside Fubarb (Local off license) - Rhubarb sour

All highly recommended

piehut

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Leeds
I've just watched https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000tpzb/brotherhood-the-inner-life-of-monks .

Just wondering if anyone on here had sampled the Tynt Meadow English Trappist Ale shown in the programme.

'Tynt Meadow is mahogany-coloured, with a subtle, warm red hue, and a lasting beige head. Its aroma carries hints of dark chocolate, liquorice, and rich fruit flavours. The beer is full-bodied, gently balancing the taste of dark chocolate, pepper, and fig. It leaves a warm and dry finish on the palate.'

oftenscore6

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
FC United of Manchester, St Pauli, Hammarby, Hawthorn (AFL)
I've just watched https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000tpzb/brotherhood-the-inner-life-of-monks .

Just wondering if anyone on here had sampled the Tynt Meadow English Trappist Ale shown in the programme.

'Tynt Meadow is mahogany-coloured, with a subtle, warm red hue, and a lasting beige head. Its aroma carries hints of dark chocolate, liquorice, and rich fruit flavours. The beer is full-bodied, gently balancing the taste of dark chocolate, pepper, and fig. It leaves a warm and dry finish on the palate.'

Yes, I've had that. It's OK, but not up the (very high) standard from a number of the Belgian Trappist ones. Interesting to try though

Cleeve

Youth Team Regular
For the last few weeks the Mermaid pub in St Albans has had a stall on the (temporary) food market on Fridays.

19th March, draught beers purchased:
2pts Shakespeare Othello (dark ruby)
2pts Three Brewers Classic (amber)

26th March, draught beers purchased:
2pts Tring Colley Dog (dark ruby)
2pts Three Brewers Copper

Needless to say they were all excellent.
2nd April, draught beers purchased:
2pts Bingham's Chocolate Porter ♥
2pts Three Brewers' Special English Ale
2pts Tring's Bring Me Sunshine (golden)

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Just opened my (first) box of the month.

From England: Thornbridge Sugar Spun SIster Imperial Chocolate Stout (8%)
From Wales: Tiny Rebel Clwb Tropica (5.5%) and Stay Puft (5.2%)
From France: Ninkasi French IPA (5.4%) and (leftover from last month) Mage Malte Dark Nebula (7%)
From Estonia: Sori Brewing Celtus (8.7%)
From Iceland: Einstock Wee Heavy (8%) and White Ale (5.2%)
From Belgium: La Corne du Bois des Pendus (8%), Flying Dog Raging Bitch (8.3%) and Red Petrus (8.5%)
and From Germany: Lowenbrau Triumphator (7.6%) and Ayinger Celebrator (6.7%)

I won't drink them all tonighto_O

prorege

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Fife clubs

Oxpete

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
I have noticed, however,, that my local Co-op always has beers from Robinsons which are specially labelled for the Co-op and cheaper than other beers. On the map, Robinsons are shown as being available nationally, not that I would particularly seek them out.

Picked up at the Co-Op in Summertown on Monday, including a bottle of the own-label golden ale from Robinson's. 4%, and pleasant in a summertime sort of way - only £1.75. The rest of the range available was predominantly Hook Norton and not as impressive as the ranges on show at the Headington or Botley shops, making me suspect that the individual store managers might have a bit of a say in what they get in on the shelves in these shops.

So the four I bought were...

Co-Op own label Golden Ale from Robinson's Of Stockport, 4%
Shropshire Hills Amber Ale from Hobson's, 4.2%
Hook Norton Flagship English IPA, 5.3%
Hook Norton Haymaker Pale Ale, 5%

1617828196646.png

Sale Holmfield

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Altrincham
Picked up at the Co-Op in Summertown on Monday, including a bottle of the own-label golden ale from Robinson's. 4%, and pleasant in a summertime sort of way - only £1.75. The rest of the range available was predominantly Hook Norton and not as impressive as the ranges on show at the Headington or Botley shops, making me suspect that the individual store managers might have a bit of a say in what they get in on the shelves in these shops.

So the four I bought were...

Co-Op own label Golden Ale from Robinson's Of Stockport, 4%
Shropshire Hills Amber Ale from Hobson's, 4.2%
Hook Norton Flagship English IPA, 5.3%
Hook Norton Haymaker Pale Ale, 5%

View attachment 11335
Yes, it appears from your comments, as well as SME's earlier, that the specially labelled cheap Robinson's beers are available nationwide. Robinson's are local to the Co-op's head office in Manchester, I suppose.

Not particularly about the Co-op, but I did read somewhere, and I can't recall the source, but it was from a brewery, that there has been quite a shift from bottled to canned ales during the pandemic. That has been my own experience too, and in fact, I am drinking a can of North Brewing Sputnik as I type this!

Hoddy1.

First Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.

Cleeve

Youth Team Regular
Driving out of Hertfordshire for the first time since October, I was able to drop in to the Tring Brewery on the way to my game, and purchase:

6 bottles of Colley's Dog (Strong Ruby ale 5.2%)
6 bottles of Tea Kettle Stout (4.7%)

No point in buying draught beer as I'm on antibiotics this week☹

Oxpete

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
Another visit to the Co-Op in Botley...

Gloucester Brewery Dockside Dark 5.2% from Gloucester
Clavell & Hind Rood Wood Ruby Ale 4.4% from Gloucester
XT15 English Pale Ale 4.5% from Long Crendon near Thame
Stoud Brewery Big Cat Organic Stout 4.5% from Thrupp near Stroud
North Cotswold Brewery Shagweaver 4.5% from Stretton On Fosse in Warwickshire
Loddon Forbury Lion IPA 5.5% from near Reading

1618609371649.png

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks