Barnet v Charlton friendly 1973 - long-shot

Swindon Addick

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Charlton Athletic, Cambridge City
The Charlton Athletic museum have been given a programme from a testimonial match for Colin Powell when he transferred from Barnet to Charlton late in the 1972-3 season. Dated 3 May 1973. They're a bit baffled because there's nothing about this game in the club's record books. No score, no attendance, no lineups (so no idea if it was the first team or the reserves). Don't even know for sure that the game went ahead. Powell was a legend at Charlton, both as a player and then as head groundsman when we moved back to the Valley. So, very long shot, does anyone have any info about this game?

paulh66

First Team Regular
Team{s}
Tranmere, South Liverpool
You could try the BNA and sign up for trial where you get access to three free search results of their newspaper archives.

I've done a quick couple of searches without an account and the only thing that turns up is this, which looks like it'll lead to an article previewing the game. But I've found nothing later in the week, or on a Barnet results archive site I've occasionally used, which might suggest a late call off.

image.jpeg

Manchester Warrior

Reserve Team Hopeful
4-1 win for Charlton. Trust the thundry wet weather that evening (19mm of rain in the London area) didn't affect the attendance figure (= 639) unduly!

Swindon Addick

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Charlton Athletic, Cambridge City
Thanks all, that's great. Very much appreciated. (Paul, I tried the same search on BNA and got a different chunk of text from that article. The mouth-wateringly strong Charlton side mentioned was for another testimonial, at Ramsgate the following Monday. Powell was mentioned because he was playing.)

The programme was part of a large collection which has been left to the museum by a deceased Charlton fan who was a serious collector. Duplicates and non-Charlton items are expected to pop up on the charltonathleticmuseum ebay page over a fairly extended period as they struggle to work out what they've got.

Northstandexile

Youth Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
You could try the BNA and sign up for trial where you get access to three free search results of their newspaper archives.

I've done a quick couple of searches without an account and the only thing that turns up is this, which looks like it'll lead to an article previewing the game. But I've found nothing later in the week, or on a Barnet results archive site I've occasionally used, which might suggest a late call off.

View attachment 11336
When you look at this in the newspaper it is a match for the testimonial for Peter Godfrey where a Ramsgate XI would play a Charlton Athletic team.

buncranaboy

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Bostock Stanley, Barnstoneworth United
Who could have predicted his successful career in US politics ? 😁

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks