August 5th

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
On this day in 1962, this man was arrested and remained in prison until 1990
1596574761400.png

On the same die, this woman was found dead, (she died the day before)

1596574870514.png

Kirby Knitters

First Team Sub
Team{s}
The Knitters.
Jackie McNamara Testimonial.
Hibernian 0 Newcastle United 3.
Adm.
Prog. 50p
Att. 5,000

barnetbee

Junior Team Regular
Pre season friendlies
1989 - Hendon 1 Leyton Orient XI 3
1992 - Welling United 3 Barnet 1
1995 - Barnet 1 Chelsea XI 0
League 2
2006 - Barnet 0 Torquay

Hoddy1.

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
Will look forward to seeing the prorege write up on the Celtic v Hibs Final in 1972.

Thursday @ 20-30.
Europa League Qualifying Round 3 (2nd leg).
Hajduk Split 3 v 0 Dynamo Bucharest. (Hajduk 4-3 on Agg)

@ Poljud Stadium.
28,000 / 30,000.
Tickets, cards and tours to: Poljud Stadium, Split--Image result for Hajduk Split

Hajduk Split - Danijel Subasic , Jurica Buljat , Mario Maloca , Ivan Strinic , Anas Sharbini , Srdjan Andric , Marin Tomasov , Mario Brkljaca , Senjad Ibircic , Mirko Oremus , Ante Vukusic.
Subs - Dinko Trebotic for Brkljaca , Ante Rezic for Tomasov , Hrvoje Vejic for Vukusic.
Manager - Stanko Poklepovic.

Dinamo Bucharest - George Curca , Juan Pablo Garat , Corneliu Pulhac , Cosmin Moti , Adrian Scarlatace , Adrian Cristea , Gabriel Torje , Ousman Ndoye , Djakaridja Kone , Liviu Ganea , Marius Niculae.
Subs - Sergiu Homei for Garat , Andrei Cristea for Niculae , Catalin Munteanu for Torje.
Manager - Ioan Andone.

Referee - Carlos Xistra (Portugal).

Oh how I love seeing Hajduk in Europe , on the first occasion on 21/03/73 they were at home to Hibs @ the old 'Gas Plant' Stadium ( Stari Plac / Plinara ) in the CWC Q-F 2nd leg. They'd lost 4-2 in Edinburgh but managed to win 3-0 in Split in front of 25,000.
Hajduk 5-4 on Aggregate.

On the second occasion on Nov 6 ,1974 it was UEFA Cup R2 (2nd leg), they had won at home against St Etienne 4-1 but managed to lose 5-1 AET in France before 35,000.
St Etienne 6-5 on Aggregate (AET).

On this occasion they had lost the first leg in Bucharest by 3-1 but turned it around with a 3-0 second leg win.
Hajduk 4-3 on Aggregate.

A quick one nighter , out Thursday morning off Gatwick @ 06-05 arriving in Split at 09-30 , plenty of time to sort hotel / match tickets etc.
Think we caught a bus to the harbour from the airport and took it from there.
Flight Friday was at 10-25 so need to be away by 07-30'ish.
Things had certainly improved since 1973 , bars / hotels were aplenty in the port area. Some pricey , some off the beaten track not so.

22 x games (21 + 1 x Summer). 1 x 0-0.Angler Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock15 x foreign.

Now blogging at
--- https://eccentricity.video.blog/ ---Do not open if a snowflake. (You've been warned , so don't blame me). 🚫

Some other games visited on this date ( Top tier + Internationals + oddities.
1972 Celtic 3 v 5 Hibs.
1981 Osters Vaxjo 1 v 0 Orgyrte.
1995 Epinal 2 v 1 Niort.
2007 Bialystok 1 v 3 Grodzisk Wielopolski.

-1862-Joseph Merrick born----------------------1962--Mandela arrested.
-- Joseph Merrick carte de visite photo, c. 1889.jpg-
Mandela at the Treason Trial of 1958

Last edited:

FinchleyFlyer65

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Tottenham Hotspur
Finchley
Wingate & Finchley
1989 Hendon 1 Leyton Orient 3 (Friendly)
2014 Hatfield Town 3 Berkhamsted Town 3 Att 34 (Herts Charity Shield) - Berkhamsted won 4 - 3 on pens
2016 Ascot United 2 Milton United 0 Att 156 (FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round)
2017 Hackney Wick 0 Long Melford 1 Att 267 (FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round)

mxhornet

Youth Team Star
Football

2018 Hockering Ladies - 0 Fakenham Town Ladies - 4

Rugby League

2007 Barrow Raiders - 24 Celtic Crusaders - 26 @ Craven park (1,806)

Running

2001 Great Yarmouth Trophy Meeting - The Wellesley Mile 4-57.5 5th

2017 Brundall parkrun (112) 23-47 16th

2018 Run Norwich 10km 54-41 1241st

hantslondoner

Youth Team Regular
The morning after the play-off final.... :-(

Only three PSFs, the last one on old WDYGs:

1997 - 1945 KO - Fareham T. 1 Aldershot T. 0 - programme issued
Disappointment at Cams for a crowd of about 220 as the visitors sent a youth/reserve team. But they gave the home team a decent game, only losing to a second-half goal by Green.

2010 - 1900 KO - Locks Heath 4 Warsash Wasps 1 @Hook Lane Recreation Ground
The home team were too fast for Wasps at the start, and went in at HT 3-1 up. The visitors improved after the break and both sides played some good stuff by the end.
Wasps were preparing for their debut season in the Hampshire League 2004. Unfortunately they withdrew from the league after a promising start (I saw two of their three home games, both played at Whiteley). They have since reactivated and play in the Southampton League Div 1.
The ground is just east of the hamlet (once a more important village) of Hook-with-Warsash, a mile or so from to both teams' usual grounds, with room for two or three pitches with a pavilion in the corner. Quite a rare occurrence to get a match here, I think.

2017 - 1500 KO - Southampton 2 Sevilla 0 attendance est 15000
After their poor performance midweek versus Augsburg (see earlier Retro report) a much more convincing performance here by Saints against a team not very far advanced into their pre-season. The visitors had a lot of famous names in the squad and a lot of possession on the pitch but didn't do much with it. Stephens midway through the first half, and a late one by Gabbiadini gave the home team an encouraging win. The return of Davis in midfield was an important factor.

Ellisref

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Wrexham and a general look out for some of the friendly teams I've been observing at around the country.
An early post before the working from home telephone conferences start!

1987 - Feltham v Bognor Regis Town - referee.
1989 - Feltham v Tooting & Mitcham United - linesman
1990 - Feltham Res v Chertsey Res - linesman.

More to follow........................... someone's just called me!

Wiretown.Editor

Youth Team Starter
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
1992 Pre Season Friendly Northwich Victoria v Tranmere Rovers Lost 1-2

1993 Pre Season Friendly Northwich Victoria v Chester City Won 2-0

1994 Pre Season Friendly Northwich Victoria v Stockport County Won 2-1

2002 Pre Season Friendly Vauxhall Motors v Warrington Town Won 1-2

Déjà vu in more ways than one - fixture and result.

2004 Pre Season Friendly Vauxhall Motors v Warrington Town Won 1-2

2006 Asda Logic West Lancashire League Division One Whinney Hill v Norcross & Warbreck 0-5
A tightly enclosed ground with a railed pitch, but no other facilities.

2014 Pres Season Friendly Warrington Town v Colwyn Bay Won 5-0

2017 Kingstone Press Cider National Conference Division Three Clock Face Miners v Barrow Island 14-10
A railed pitch. Programme issued.

prorege

Reserve Team Starter
Team{s}
Fife clubs

Drybrough Cup Final
Celtic v Hibernian, 3-5 AET, 0-2 H.T., 3-3 F.T. Att 49,462
At Hampden Park

An epic game which captured all the emotions of watching football as it ebbed and flowed before the good guys finally came out on top. Revenge was had for the 6-1 Scottish Cup Final defeat at the hands of Celtic a few months earlier.

Celtic: Evan Williams, Danny McGrain, Jim Brogan, Bobby Murdoch, Bill McNeill, George Connelly, Jimmy Johnstone, Dixie Deans (Sub Paul Wilson), Lou Macari, Kenny Dalglish and Tomt Callaghan
Hibs: Jim Herriot, John Brownlie, Erich Schaedler, Pat Stanton, Jim Black, John Blackley, Alex Cropley, Johnny Hamilton (Sub Jimmy O’Rourke), Alan Gordon, John Hazel, Arthur Duncan
Ref: Bill Mullen (Dalkeith)

Hibs served notice that they were going to be a force to be reckoned with in 1972/3. Eddie Turnbull was working his magic at Easter Road in building a side that combined skill with solidity. He had done the same at Aberdeen culminating in a title challenge in 1970/1. Hibs fans leaving Hampden after this game dared to ask if they might challenge the established order in the coming months.

Alex Cropley was a key player in this game. He played with great composure and used his brilliant vision and passing ability to create openings for his team mates. He was a joy to watch in midfield while Pat Stanton did the dirty work, closing down space and frustrating his opponents.

Hibs took the lead in 4 minutes – Evan Williams blundered to present Alan Gordon with an easy chance. In 20 minutes it was 2-0 – big Alan Gordon (a Chartered Accountant by profession) with a clinical finish.

At half time everyone expected Celtic to come out and take the game to Hibs. But it was the Hibees who scored again – at the time I thought Alan Gordon had a hat trick as he rose with Billy McNeill and the ball ended up in the net – but the goal was credited as a McNeill own goal.

At 0-3 trouble broke out in the Celtic end. I wasn’t sure if it was just rival Celtic fans clashing or a concerted effort to break-in and get the game abandoned. Bottles and cans rained down from the back of the Celtic end, landing amongst their own supporters, and the crowd spilled onto the park to avoid the carnage. Ref Bill Mullan stopped the game for a few minutes whilst order was restored.

Hibs looked rattled by the interruption and Celtic came at them in style. Lou Macari and Jimmy Johnstone came to the fore. Billy McNeill scored at the right end and then Jimmy Johnstone made it 2-3 with fifteen minutes left. Play was raging from end to end – Celtic were so committed to attack that they left gaps which Hibs almost exposed. Williams redeemed himself for his earlier blunder with a fine stop from John Hazel. Eventually the pulsating Celtic forward play brought an equaliser – Jimmy Johnstone again the scorer – with seven minutes left.

Extra time – having been 3-0 up most Hibs fans now feared the worst. Turnbull sent on Jimmy O’Rourke for John Hamilton. It was a surprise that he hadn’t started but it proved to be a master stroke. O’Rourke was fresh and Celtic were wilting – they had played extras time in midweek as well and their comeback had drained them. Five minutes into extra time O’Rourke fired in a goal from long range to make it 4-3. Nerves were calmed in the closing moments when Arthur Duncan turned Danny McGrain inside out, weaved into the box and scored from an acute angle.

There was unconfined joy from the Hibees on the terraces, tempered slightly by the realisation that they had to get out of Glasgow alive. For me it was the first time I had seen a team that I was consciously supporting win a trophy. The Drybrough Cup was no small beer in those days – very much a 4th national competition.

I haven’t been able to find full highlights but the first two goals are on here – it is well worth watching for the brilliant titles sequence alone. Can you name the grounds that feature, other than Hampden?

Dryb cjup 72 prog.jpgdryb cup pres.jpgDryb crowd trouble.jpg

Ricardo

Youth Team Sub
1978 Wimbledon 5 Malawi 0
Pre season friendly crowd 1,200

Unusual friendly for Wimbledon coming off the back of a two match trip to the West Country where we had played Bideford and Dawlish before returning to London to face an African side managed at the time by Ted Powell, who had played for Sutton Utd and Wycombe before becoming a coach. The only thing I can recall about the game was that we had a tannoy announcer called Charlie Addiman who in those politically incorrect days delighted in pronouncing Jason Chilemanbongo with relish. The score line suggests they weren’t very good but they also played Sutton Utd so I imagine they got a slightly easier game there against Isthmian league opponents.

1990 Gateshead v Sunderland
Durham Senior Cup crowd 1,500

Drove up to Scotland for Wimbledon’s pre season tour and broke the journey at this game but all I can recall is that it took place in a poisonous atmosphere. Sunderland had beaten Newcastle in the play offs and got promoted but being from the south we were removed from the acrimony involved and assumed that as this was a squad side rather than the first team it would all be ok. Sadly this was not the case and although there were a few stewards and police about the level of menace had to be seen to be believed, we kept our mouths shut and were relieved to get out of there which is not what you want at what was effectively a friendly, don’t even remember the score.

1991 Aberdeen 1 Man Utd 1 Tall Ships Challenge Match
crowd 20,000 Man U win on pens

Got the train up from Edinburgh where we were staying when the Tall Ships Regatta was in town so had to slum it in a B+B where they didn’t even have coffee for breakfast in the morning(ghastly, darling 😀). Obviously the Alex Ferguson connection made this a competitive friendly but tickets were fairly easy to come by, my abiding memory of this game was that I was hungry and bought 2 bridies to eat, took one bite of the gristle and potato inside and spat it out, full of salt and disgusting to taste, think there would be more nutritious value in a Waggon Wheel.

2018 Holland 6 Ireland 0 crowd 15,000
Womens hockey World Cup final

The day after my cold experience at Fleetwood I was back in the London heatwave again for the final of the Hockey World Cup which was the first time in any sport that Ireland had ever reached a World Cup final, so all the attendant ballyhoo and all the famous Irish people were appearing out of the woodwork saying what a great day it was for the old country. Luckily Holland hadn’t read the script and battered the Irish ladies out of sight giving them a 6-0 thrashing to send them home with their tails between their legs.

Ellisref

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Wrexham and a general look out for some of the friendly teams I've been observing at around the country.
An early post before the working from home telephone conferences start!

1987 - Feltham v Bognor Regis Town - referee.
1989 - Feltham v Tooting & Mitcham United - linesman
1990 - Feltham Res v Chertsey Res - linesman.

More to follow........................... someone's just called me!
Part 2

2003 - Queens Park Athletic v Trinidad Sea View - referee. Played at Heathlands, somewhere in the middle of nowhere between two Bournemouth Saturday League sides.
2004 - AFC Poole v Darby's Corner - referee. Played at Turlin Moor, I think AFC Poole were a short lived Dorset Sunday side.
2008 - Hamworthy Recreation v Christchurch Res - referee.
2012 - Kings Arms Wallisdown v Broadstone Conservative Club - referee. The long walk at Ferndown Leisure Centre.
2014 - Hamworthy United v Brockenhurst (Wessex Premier) - observer, att. 109.
2017 - Chard Town v Warminster Town (Western 1) - observer, att. 91. Another two day trip to link with the annual observers meeting.

IAN S

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles & Kendal Town
1995 Denaby United 3 Boston 2
2002 Burgess Hill Town 1 Gillingham 1
2006 St Albans City 0 Blades XI 0
2017 Blades 1 Brentford 0 Championship HT 1-0 Att 26,746

Pawn Of Prophecy

Youth Team Sub

FA Cup Extra Preliminary round

Hanworth Villa 5 Bedfont & Feltham 0

HV eased passed a B&F side that doesn't contain a single name i recognise. HV ahead on 3 through Smith-Joseph, but B&F then held on until 62 when they gave away a penalty, converted by Buckle. Further goals from Mills (68) and Darko (77) and (89) gave the score a true reflection of the play.

Steveb

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
1987 Friendly: Feltham 0 Bognor Regis Town 1 (att 33)
Another game that featured Ellisref.

1989 Friendly: Kidlington 0 Newport AFC 4 (200)
I think this was Newport's first ever match.

1995 Scottish League Cup, 1st rnd: Queen of the South 3 Queens Park 1 (1,202)

2000 Goldline Trophy, group match: Old Boltonians 3 Elton Fold 3 (15)

2002 Goldline Trophy, group match: Breightmet United 3 Ashton Town 4 (65)

2006 West Lancashire Lge, Div 2: Thornton Cleveleys 3 Bolton County 0 (44)

Played on the second pitch at Thornton Cleveleys, which was frustrating at the time but I've been to the main pitch since and it was an extra tick.

2797.jpg

2015 Wearside League: Sunderland West End 6 Murton 0 (85)
At the Ford Quarry Complex which I believe West End are due to return to this season. It'll be interesting to learn how much it's changed, and whether the main pitch is on the same footprint.

4261.jpg

11am Strathclyde Saturday am Lge Cup, Qual Gp 9: Petershall Villa 0 Calderglen 6 (25)

On pitch number one (a 3g) at St Ambrose High School in Coatbridge.

2.30pm SJFA East Region, Premier Div: Tranent Juniors 3 St Andrews United 2 (150)

4556.jpg

Ellisref

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
1987 Friendly: Feltham 0 Bognor Regis Town 1 (att 33)
Another game that featured Ellisref.

1989 Friendly: Kidlington 0 Newport AFC 4 (200)
I think this was Newport's first ever match.

1995 Scottish League Cup, 1st rnd: Queen of the South 3 Queens Park 1 (1,202)

2000 Goldline Trophy, group match: Old Boltonians 3 Elton Fold 3 (15)

2002 Goldline Trophy, group match: Breightmet United 3 Ashton Town 4 (65)

2006 West Lancashire Lge, Div 2: Thornton Cleveleys 3 Bolton County 0 (44)

Played on the second pitch at Thornton Cleveleys, which was frustrating at the time but I've been to the main pitch since and it was an extra tick.

View attachment 3454

2015 Wearside League: Sunderland West End 6 Murton 0 (85)
At the Ford Quarry Complex which I believe West End are due to return to this season. It'll be interesting to learn how much it's changed, and whether the main pitch is on the same footprint.

View attachment 3455

11am Strathclyde Saturday am Lge Cup, Qual Gp 9: Petershall Villa 0 Calderglen 6 (25)

On pitch number one (a 3g) at St Ambrose High School in Coatbridge.

2.30pm SJFA East Region, Premier Div: Tranent Juniors 3 St Andrews United 2 (150)

View attachment 3456
Thanks for the attendance figure, I wasn't keeping details at the time. Any others on a few more games to be posted idc will be appreciated.

norwich6

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Wednesday 5th August 1987
Friendly Sittingbourne v Gillingham XI at the Bull Ground
Score 1-3 half time 1-1 Attendance around 200
Admission £2 No programme or team sheet issued
Gills included Mel Eves, Steve Lovell in their line up plus
John Gorman who at the time was as a youth coach at
Gills. In a decent match Bourne scored first with a tap
in goal after 14 minutes with a tap in. Lovell made it
1-1 on the stroke of half time. Eves scored both second half
goals the first with a lob on 68 minutes and then two
minutes from the end he went round Homden the
S'bourne keeper to wrap the match up.

Saturday 5th August 2000
Scottish League Division 3
Brechin City v Elgin City at Glebe Park
Score 2-1 half time 1-1 Attendance 509
Admission £7 Programme £1
Overnight coach London to Dundee then train to Montrose
and finally a bus to Brechin for this match, An enjoyable
match it was too with the home side deserving the win.
Brechin opened the scoring after 24 minutes but a headed goal
10 minutes later made it 1-1. Brechin were by far the best
side after the break but only scored the one goal after
67 minutes though that was enough for them to win
the match.

Cricket
Thursday 5th August 2010
County Championship Day 3 Kent v Somerset
Scores at end of days play Somerset 380 and 138 for 3
Kent 372 all out
Kent advanced their overnight score from 175 for 3 to 372
all out. Martin Van Jarsveld with 71 and a career
best 178 from Geraint Jones plus Darren Stevens with 33
were the only players who scored more than 20.
Jones's innings included 24 x 4's and 3 x 6's. At stumps
Somerset had lost the wickets of Suppiah, De Bruyn and
Buttler in reaching 175.

Cycle Speedway Saturday 5th August 2006
Tournament held at Whitton Sports Centre Ipswich
Winners Leicester, 2nd Wednesfield 3rd = Poole/Sheffield
Admission free Programme £1
The original intention was just to attend Ipswich speedway
who were riding in the evening but kent43 spotted this
cycle speedway fixture which was being held in the afternoon
so we made our way here beforehand. An enjoyable meeting
which had 48 races, Leicester came out as overall
winners, The facilities here were good and there was some
terracing to watch the racing from. There was even a tea room
which served tea/coffee and burgers all afternoon.

Speedway Saturday evening 5th August 2006
Elite League
Ipswich v Peterborough at Foxhall Heath
Score 51-44 Admission £14 Programme £2
Despite 20 points from Hans Andersson who had
7 rides Peterborough were always behind in this meeting
Ipswich always had more strength in depth, Mark Loram
was their top scorer with 13 dropping his only points
to Andersson. Chris Louis was the Witches next top scorer
with 9.

Loiner

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
None
1986- P S F. Crawley Town v Sheppey United 0-0.
1987- Highland League. Elgin City v Inverness Thistle 0-1. We bumped in to Leo in the town earlier and joined him for the match.
1989- P S F. Cumnock v Colchester United 1-1.
1991- P S F. Bodmin Town v Penrhyn Athletic 0-0.
1992- P S F. STC Paignton v Devon & Cornwall Police 1-2.
1995- Double in Scotland.
Scottish League Cup 1st round. Albion Rovers v Cowdenbeath 0-1.
Forth & Endrick League. Cameron Cup 1st round. Thornhill v Killearn 4-1.
1996- P S F. Hednesford Town v Huddersfield Town 0-3.
2000- P S F. Old Blackburnians v Squires Gate 2-1.
2003- P S F. Blackpool Mechanics v Fleetwood Town 0-0.
2006- Midlands Regional Alliance. Premier. Newmount v Dronfield Town 0-2.
2017- FA Cup Extra Preliminary round. Coventry United v Rugby Town 1-2.
Cricket in 1990- Leeds League. Hepworth cup Final. Great Preston ( 202 for9) v Whitkirk ( 193 for 9) at Old Modernians.

pilgrim46

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Plymouth Argyle, any non league team in Devon & Cornwall
2016 - Cullompton Rangers 1-3 Plymouth Argyle Reserves - SWPL Premier Division - Att 207
2017 - Shepton Mallet 1-4 Tavistock - FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round - Att 88

stingray

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Step 4 - 6 local football
5 August 2017 - Leighton Town 4-0 Oxhey Jets (FA Cup)

Played at Berkhamsted as la ferme du cloche was still undergoing renovation by having the old wooden fencing replaced with metal railings.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks