August 1st

Loiner

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
None
Football:
1987- P S F. Queens Park v Sheffield FC 2-0 at Lesser Hampden. Match between the oldest clubs in each country,
1988- P S F. Cove Rangers v Shrewsbury Town 1-5.
1991- P S F. Wimbourne Town v Dorchester Town 0-2.
1992- Two P S F's:
Holsworthy v Exeter St Thomas 5-2.
Bude Town v Devon & Cornwall Police 3-4.
1995- Westhoughton Charity Cup. Group 4. Stand Athletic v Salford City 0-2 at Duncan Matheson Playing Fields.
1998- P S F. Connahs Quay Nomads v Stalybridge Celtic 1-8 at Deeside Stadium.
1999- Goldline Trophy. Group D. Bolton Castle v Hindsford 0-1 at Hindsford.
2007- Myles N Kenyon Cup. Group B. Radcliffe Boys v Heywood St. James 0-8.
2009- Myles N Kenyon Cup. Group B. Heywood St. James v Hargreave 4-4.
2011- Barkston Ash FA. Prostar Cup 1st round. Great Preston v Kippax Athletic 3-1.
Rugby League:
2015 At same match as IanS. Yorkshire Men's Div.3. Knottingley Worms v Ossett Trinity 36-10 at Knottingley RUFC.

Cowden Andy

Junior Team Starter
1973, Wednesday

Drybrough Cup Semi Final
Hibernian v Rangers, 2-1 AET, Att 28,089
At Easter Road

The Glasgow Herald’s Ian Archer had quite a way with words. His report on this match starts “Hibernian last night won a Drybrough Cup tie that blurred the distinction between acceptable aggression and outrageous violence”. Yes, it may have ben July but the Scottish football season was back with a bang.

Hibs: Jim McArthur, Des Bremner, Erich Schaedler, Pat Stanton, Jim Black, John Blackley, Arthur Duncan, Alex Edwards, Alan Gordon, Ian Munro and Alex Cropley. Subs Tony Higgins and Bobby Smith
Rangers: Peter McCloy, Sandy Jardine, Willie Mathieson, John Greig, derek Johnstone, Tom Forsyth, Tommy Mclean, Ally Scott, Derek Parlane, Alex MacDonald and Quintin Young. Subs Jim Denny and Johnny Hamilton

Archer continued “The fighting that broke out on the terraces early in the second half strengthened the gathering impression that this was not one of Scottish football’s more gracious nights. If it were still possible to admire the physical commitment of the 26 players it was quite impossible to condone so many errors of judgement and taste”.

Referee Archie Webster of Falkirk was always one of the indulgent Scottish refs and he only booked three when upwards of a dozen might have merited it. Archer described it as “a series of mistimed and sometimes evil tackles that built up in a hothouse arena”.

The first half was a war of attrition with few scoring chances – Cropley coming closest when he hit the bar just before the break. As the second half began much attention focussed on the battling breaking out around the terraces. Many missed Des Bremner’s penetrating run into the box and low shot that sped into the net for 1-0. Within a minute, with police running across the pitch, Derek Parlane forced the ball in from close range for the equaliser.

The game went to extra time – with Tony Higgins grabbing the winner early on.

My Dad took me and a pal to the game and we were in the North Stand – very much a Hibee only area. The after-match scenes in the narrow streets around Easter Road are still talked about as running battles continued all the way from Easter Road to the city centre. The Rangers fans then took their anger out on the trains as they headed back to the West.

View attachment 3360View attachment 3362

View attachment 3361
Wonder how much folk got chucked off the bridge of doom possibly more dramatic then if they still had trains on the line.

Ellisref

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Wrexham and a general look out for some of the friendly teams I've been observing at around the country.
Is there any mention of Bournemouth Gasworks? I once worked with someone who said he was a fan
There certainly is, including their exploits of reaching the FA Amateur Cup Final in 1929/30.

norwich6

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Saturday 1st August 1987
Friendly Sittingbourne v Folkestone at the Bull Ground
Score 1-3 half time 0-1 Attendance around 80
Admission £1 No programme or team sheet issued
A decent game for a friendly Sittingbourne hit the
crossbar three times in the first half but Folkestone
led through a superb headed goal from a deep cross.
Two good goals in the second half put Folkestone 3
up before Bourne scored a late consolation 84th minute
goal,

Tuesday 1st August 2000
Friendly Sittingbourne v Tottenham XI at Central Park
Score 0-4 half time 0-1 Attendance 2216
Admission £5 Programme £1
Spurs played a strong side including Mauricio Taricco,
Raymond Vega, Neale Fenn and John Piercy. Spurs
were comfortable winners and even missed a penalty.
which was brilliantly saved by Bourne keeper James
Creed. Raymond Vega was in a different class for Spurs.
Unlike the Millwall friendly 3 years earlier the police
presence was far more low key for this match.

Wednesday 1st August 2001
Friendly Maidstone Utd v Gravesend at Central Park
Score 4-1 half time 2-0 attendance unknown
Admission £2 Programme 50p
An easy win for the Stones against a Gravesend side
made up mostly of fringe first team players. Ex Sittingbourne
player Richard Sinden scored twice for Maidstone only being
denied a hat trick by a fine save from the Gravesend keeper.

Saturday 1st August 2015
Also at all four games on the Peterborough/UCL hop. Only
3 new grounds for me, like Wiretown Editor I had
previously been to Blackstones. that had been for
Blackstones 3 Ampthill 0 on the 27th August 1988

Cricket
Monday 1st August 2017
Minor Counties Championship Eastern Division Day 3 of 3
Norfolk v Bedfordshire at Manor Park Horsford CC
Admission 2017 membership updated scorecard free
Scores Beds 256 for 9 and 304 for 6 declared
Norfolk 237 all out and 252 for 8 Match drawn
A gripping last hour of cricket as Norfolk held out for a
draw against the spin bowling of ex England player
Monty Panesar and Tony Brett. Beds bowled over 23
overs in the last hour of play but they could not break the
stubborn partnership of Chris Brown and Ben Coote.

stingray

Junior Team Regular
Team{s}
Step 4 - 6 local football
Just the one and an unusually early start for my season

2017 - Burnham 3-3 Highmoor IBIS (HLP)

Lord Lucan

Youth Team Star
I was surprised to find I have fewer games to choose from than I had on dates in the second half of July. None of the options are particuarly inspiring so I will just mention the highest ranking one:

2015 (Saturday)

East Kilbride 2 BSC Glasgow 1
Scottish Lowland League
@ K Park Training Academy

Two clubs with no support playing at a ground with no character is not an ideal candidate for a memorable day, and so it proved.

In fact, the most memorable event was arriving back at East Kilbride station to find the connecting train for the last train south from Glasgow had been cancelled. The lady in the ticket office got on the phone and arranged a taxi, but it took a lot longer than I expected to arrive and I had my doubts it would reach Glasgow in time. What I didn’t realise is that, although the train takes around 35 mins, by road it is much more direct and I had plenty of time to grab some food and drink to take on the train.

If these threads continue, hopefully more inspiration will present itself further into August.
EK - p.JPG EK.JPG

Last edited:

Karb

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Sunderland AFC,
Keighley Cougars RLFC
Durham Senior Cup
Darlington 1-0 Sunderland
Att: 2,040

In the mid-late 80s, the later stages of Durham Senior Cup allowed an opportunity for a pre-season warm up for the regions three Football League clubs - Sunderland, Darlington and Hartlepool.

Both sides were at pretty much full strength - Darlington, preparing for their first season as a non-league side since joining Division 3 (North) 68 years earlier, fielded three former Rokerites in Mark Prudhoe, David Corner and Framk Gray; while Sunderland included future Quakers Gary Bennett and Marco Gabbiadini.

I remember very little about the game. Quakers' skipper, Kevan Smith, headed in from a corner shortly before half-time for the only goal of the game, to put them through to a final against Hartlepool United. Refreshment was almost certainly taken pre-match at the Pennyweight in the Market Place, and post-match in the cricket club.

Both clubs won promotion at the end of the season.

East Midlands Counties League
Belper United 1-1 Clifton All Whites

United were ground-sharing at Borrowash Victoria. I'd had a pre-season friendly pencilled in for this particular evening, until I spotted that this game was on, and was do-able by train. In fact, such is the limited nature of the Saturday train service, this is a very rare instance of a ground that is far easier for me to get to midweek than it is at the weekend.

Arrived with around an hour to spare, so had a quick pint in the Canal Turn, near Spondon Station, before heading down to the ground, around a 20 minute walk away.

The large number of cars in the car park suggested that a decent crowd would be in attendance, but many of them were there for a training session taking place on the training pitch between the Graham Street Prims ground (on the left) and Borrowash ground on the right.

Stuck my head round the gate at Graham Street Prims just to be nosey, before heading down for the match.

Although it was early days, you couldn't imagine either of these sides to be challenging near the top of the table at the end of the season. Newly promoted Clifton started brightly, and scored within the first five minutes, with the home side replying after around half an hour.

Plenty of endeavour from both sides, but there was only the odd glimpse of quality, and defences were largely on top. Credit to the referee too, who put in a good performance.

A brisk walk back to the station to catch the last train back with a connection at Derby.

Steveb

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham
Like Lord Lucan I'm surprised how few games I've been to on this date, but at least I've added to the tally today.

1987 Friendly: Farnborough Town 1 Chelsea reserves 4 (att 600)

1992 Scottish League, Div 1: Morton 0 Kilmarnock 2 (3,274)

1998 South of Scotland Lge: Dalbeattie Star 5 Creetown 2 (58)

10.45am Peterborough & District Lge, Premier Div: Ketton 2 Netherton United 2 (284)
1.45pm United Counties Lge, Div 1: Blackstones 1 Rushden and Higham United 1 (327)
4.30pm Peterborough & District Lge, Div 1: Stamford Belvedere 1 Wittering 3 (314)
7.45pm United Counties Lge, Div 1: Oakham United 5 Buckingham Town 2 (341)

Hop matches, obviously. Blackstones was a revisit.

2017 North East Wales FA Challenge Cup, Prelim Rnd: Maesgwyn 19 Marchwiel Villa 1 (55)
I've never seen a team score 20 in a match, but this is one of three occasions I've seen a team manage 19. It was 12-0 at half time. I saw a Marchwiel home game a few days later, when they did at least keep to score to single figures. Marchwiel didn't last the season, Maesgwyn didn't make it beyond the season.

4554.jpg

The Willows

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Mansfield Town
Tuesday 1st August 2006

Glapwell 3 Mansfield Town XI 2 (140)

For a ground so close i've only watched three games at Hall Corner, despite playing 5-aside there every week for several years. This was an uninspiring performance from our fringe players and trialists against a decent Glapwell team. I'm pleased that the ground will be used again this season after a few years of inactivity.
1596311152685.png

Hoddy1.

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
I hope those offenders don't read this forum. They're going to be pretty upset if they do!
I'd have thought they'd feel pretty stupid if they do.

I assume that's what you mean and not upset about printing their names?

Chris1963

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Oxford United / groundhopper
I'd have thought they'd feel pretty stupid if they do.

I assume that's what you mean and not upset about printing their names?
What I meant was that they will probably be very upset that their criminal convictions have been publicly aired. Obviously, what they did in 1973 was stupid and they deserved to be punished, but given that this was nearly half a century ago, it is perhaps best forgotten today.

Cowden Andy

Junior Team Starter
What I meant was that they will probably be very upset that their criminal convictions have been publicly aired. Obviously, what they did in 1973 was stupid and they deserved to be punished, but given that this was nearly half a century ago, it is perhaps best forgotten today.
It’s been a public record all this time so always a chance of someone knowing them seeing it.
Potentially embarrassing but one of those things.

Chris1963

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
It’s been a public record all this time so always a chance of someone knowing them seeing it.
Potentially embarrassing but one of those things.
Yes, but how many people today would look up an old newspaper report from 1973 and publish the contents on the web? I think some things are just best forgotten.

IAN S

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles & Kendal Town
Yes, but how many people today would look up an old newspaper report from 1973 and publish the contents on the web? I think some things are just best forgotten.
I doubt very much if the miscreants would be capable of reading it anyway. If they did it would probably be a badge of honour.

Chris1963

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
I doubt very much if the miscreants would be capable of reading it anyway. If they did it would probably be a badge of honour.
They will be capable of reading it. Football hooligans aren't illiterate. Some have even been known to collect programmes.

leohoenig

Forum Admin
Staff member
Team{s}
Cheltenham Town
Football hooligans aren't illiterate. Some have even been known to collect programmes.
Chris 1963 isn't illiterate. He has been known to collect programmes.

ergo...

(and yes. I did logic at school, and this is a joke)

Chris1963

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Chris 1963 isn't illiterate. He has been known to collect programmes.
ergo...
(and yes. I did logic at school, and this is a joke)
Joking apart, Leo, I think there is a serious point to be made here. Supposing one of the hooligans convicted in 1973, or someone who knows him, does read this forum and sees the newspaper cutting that Prorege reproduced on here. The hooligan may well argue that this is a breach of privacy. I think it would not be unreasonable for you or Steve Walker to delete the newspaper cutting, while leaving the rest of Prorege's post intact.

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks