April 8th

Ropemaker

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Hailsham Town
April 8th was typically active .. back in 2017 at trip out West found Slimbridge beating Bideford 2-0 in the Southern League, South West .. then In 2016 .. today’s game was,

Hassocks 0-1 Loxwood (Southern Combination Premier Division)
… played at The Beacon, Brighton Road, Hassocks from 7.45pm

Att – 100 (h/c) ; Entry-£5; £1 programme .. excellent layout;
The "official" crowd, according to the old forum, was 196!

Denzil

Junior Team Sub
April 8th 2017
Jersey Premier League
JCT Jersey Wanderers 9 Jersey Portuguese 1

A day late in submitting - could not read my own writing !

A glorious day weatherwise, nice morning in St Helier and a bus ride to the Ground which I had been informed was close to the Airport, The driver told me where to alight and a couple who also disembarked there pointed me in the "right" direction. I walked round three sides of a ground completely enclose by trees and was concerned that I could hear sounds of match being played. Had I got the time wrong? I found the entrance, there was a game in progress but it was the wrong ground and St Peters. A friendly official showed me a hole in the hedge which saved the long walk round the exterior and told me to head past the (very smart) Rugby Ground where I found the home of JCT Jersey Wanderers. firstly a pitch used by the junior sides, then a training area and then the main pitch with an absolutely superb playing surface. A good Clubhouse but little else. Space behind one goal, trees on the far side and the Rugby Ground behind the other goal. the two sides were at differing ends of the table and it was suggested that the visitors had an important Reserve fixture on the same afternoon and had "adjusted" their line-ups accordingly. This may well have been the case as the game was a total mis-match with the home side scoring goals at will against what can best be described as a static defence. The visitors changed their goalkeeper and linesman at halftime which improved matters slightly. The keeper showed more movement while the linesman - wearing a jacket with Alvin's Pizza on the back - gave or two dubious decisions in favour of his side on the occasions when he was not on his mobile phone, Despite the difference in skills one player on the home side stood out for his skill allied to a slightly unusual hairstyle. He only played the one half and his name was Kevin Nafkha who has been an integral part of the Jersey Bulls midfield this season.
Despite the scoreline it was an enjoyable afternoon among some nice people. Jersey is lovely at all times. In weather such as that day it was idyllic.

Cherryhopper

First Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC Bournemouth, Sunderland, Barnet, Verwood Town
1996, the final day of the Northern League Groundhoppers Weekend. After visiting the wonderful old Stanley United ground and new (at the time) home of Durham City on Sunday, Monday began 10am at Northallerton Town 2-0 Brandon United (attendance 318). Didn't stay for the rest of the hop as had to be back at work early on Tuesday so headed home via:

1500 - Division 3
Doncaster Rovers 0-1 Gillingham
Attendance 1,783 including about 400 away fans.
Belle Vue was a run down old ground on its last legs. Only seats were in a smallish main stand running about 2/3 length of the pitch. They used to have a stand behind the goal to the right but by my visit this was just open terracing, as was the away end to the left where I chose to stand. there was covered standing in a paddock in front of the main stand and a cantilever terrace on the opposite which was the only modern part of the ground. Doncaster were poorly supported at that time being perennial strugglers in the basement division but crowds picked up after they dropped into non league and enjoyed more success as the new stadium got closer. Gillingham were enjoying a great first season under Tony Pulis and were promoted in 2nd place behind Preston North End. After this game headed down the M18, M1, M42 and M5 to:

1945 - Beazer Homes League Premier Division
Worcester City 0-1 Halesowen Town
Attendance 1,121 or 1,216 depending on which team page you read in the 1997 Non League Directory.
One of my favourite ever non league grounds, crumbling terracing, sloping pitch and a condemned stand opposite the main one which had been demolished by the time I made a return visit to bracketed tick Evesham United on a Sunday in January 2013, the ground's final season. Halesowen were still in title contention going into this game which was the start of a 6 game winning run but they fell just short, piped to the title and promotion by 2 points from Rushden & Diamonds.

Oxpete

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
Here's what I've been up to on 8th April previously...

Saturday 8th April 1978 ~ Portsmouth 3-3 Carlisle United
Saturday 8th April 1989 ~ Swansea City 1-2 Bristol Rovers
Saturday 8th April 1995 ~ Portsmouth 1-0 Sheffield United
Monday 8th April 1996 ~ Portsmouth 1-2 Sheffield United
Saturday 8th April 2000 ~ Swansea City 0-0 Peterborough United
Monday 8th April 2013 ~ Harwell International 0-1 Crowmarsh Gifford
Tuesday 8th April 2014 ~ Abingdon Town 1-5 Binfield
Saturday 8th April 2017 ~ Coventry City 1-0 Peterborough United

...with the one chosen for a write-up being...

Saturday 8th April 1978 ~
Division Three
Portsmouth 3-3 Carlisle United

...partly because I'm still in possession of that day's Sports Mail, even if it is in a rather ragged condition.

This match was probably Portsmouth's lowest-ever ebb. The previous Tuesday's 0-2 home defeat to Oxford United had relegated the club to the Fourth Division for the first time ever (just twenty-eight years after winning the League Championship in successive seasons), they were well adrift at the bottom of the table where they'd been all season, were near-bankrupt, had a really rubbish team of players, and could only pull in 5,937 for this their penultimate home fixture on a rain-lashed Saturday afternoon. As if that wasn't enough, Southampton were on their way up to the First Division.

This match also stands out for the return of Fratton End hero David Kemp, who had been sold to Carlisle in March - the few in the ground before kick-off gave him a standing ovation, with a trophy awarded from the Pompey Young Supporters' Club, and a couple of lads running on from the North Terrace to wrap a blue and white scarf around his neck. Kemp had been the sole quality player in a truly appalling side, scoring 21 goals for Pompey that season before his departure - in comparison, Pompey's second-highest scorer at that time was Maitland Pollock with a piddling five goals. However, on this afternoon, Pompey at times seemed to run rings around (admittedly mid-table) opponents, going two-up inside the opening ten minutes, and were 3-1 up with less than fifteen minutes to go. However, future signing Mick Tait and then Kemp himself scored the goals to level for Carlisle late on.

More interesting perhaps is the rest of the Sports Mail itself - other football highlights on this day were the 1978 FA Cup semi-finals, Arsenal beating Orient at Stamford Bridge, and Ipswich famously beating West Brom and a bloodied John Wile at Highbury. Exciting news also on the sea angling page, with estimates of over a thousand people turning up the next day at Lee-On-Solent for a competition in aid of the RNLI - favourite was a bloke called Mike Lea who'd recently won the Skate Cup for landing a 17lb 3oz ray off of Stokes Bay beach. In the entertainments page, the Portsmouth Guildhall would that night host Showaddywaddy, with The Stylistics, Manfred Mann's Earth Band, Ian Dury & The Blockheads and Elvis Costello & The Attractions all due in the coming days. Most of the city's cinemas were showing 'Saturday Night Fever', though The Salon in Southsea was screening 'Close Encounters Of The Third Kind' , The Odeon still had 'Star Wars', and a seedy little flea-pit called The Tatler in Fratton Road was showing a couple of flick called 'Naked Exorcism' and 'Female Chauvinistic' (both rated 'X').

1586713366926.png

1586713419206.png

Oxpete

Reserve Team Star
Team{s}
Pompey
Here are a few photos from...

Saturday 8th April 2000 ~
Division Three
Swansea City 0-0 Peterborough

...from a tense but ultimately low-quality match in front of 6,572. Swansea would go on to win that season's Third Division (ie. League Two) title, while Peterborough would go up via the play-offs, with Rotherham and Northampton being the other two promoted sides.

1586716941428.png

1586716807368.png

1586716840306.png

1586716889669.png

Wiretown.Editor

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
1992 HFS Loans League Division One Congleton Town v Guiseley 0-2

1993 HFS Loans League Division One Congleton Town v Warrington Town Lost 2-1

1995 North West Counties League Division Two Nelson v Flixton 0-3

1996 Stones Bitter Super League I Wigan Warriors v Warrington Wolves Lost 42-12

1997 UniBond League Division One Warringto Town v Great Harwood Town Drew 1-1

1998 Eric Evans Cars Cymru Alliance Denbigh Town v Ruthin Town 3-2

1999 North Western Trains Division Two Cup Final (@ Darwen FC)
Fleetwood Freeport v Warrington Town 2-1

The Fleetwood Bandwagon jumpers were out in force and being rather worse for drinking wear were looking to pick a fight with anyone not from Fleetwood, but especially with anyone from Warrington. Mostly young lads/men as was more frequent in those days of crowd trouble. This season was the embryonic stage of Fleetwood's rise through the leagues

2000 League of Wales Haverfordwest County v Flexsys Cefn Druids 3-0

The first full day of a week away in Pembrokeshire

2002 Somerset County League Premier Division Robinsons v Burnham United 1-1

Another holiday game with options somewhat low, but I enjoyed this. Way out down the lanes to the south of Bristol was one of two grounds on opposite sides of the road. This was enclosed and possibly railed. There was no programme but I got an old one from what was reported to be the last ever game played in the 1900’s (presumably just in the UK). It was a day when there were virtually no fixtures and it kicked of as late as was permissible in order to make that claim on New Years Eve 1999.

2003 Frank Armitt Liverpool County Combination Prescot Leisure v Waterloo Dock 0-5

Prescot Leisure were reported by the club officials as being the renamed BICC Prescot ex of NW Counties and arguably the original Cables team. It was not on the same ground which was still there but 3G. This was a mile or so away out towards the M57. Just a roped pitch

2006 Everards Brewery Leicestershire Senior League Division One
Bardon Hill Sports v Earl Shilton Albion T57 3-1

2008 Frank Armitt Liverpool County FA Premier League Premier Division Roma v Birchfield 3-3

A railed pitch which I believe was quite close to where a young child Rhys Jones was shot and killed a few months earlier. I remember it being on the news.

2014 Guy Walmsley Solicitors Welsh National League (Wrexham Area) Premier Division
Saltney Town v Penyffordd 0-2

2017 Door4 East Lancashire League Presidents Cup Third Round Langho v Rimmington 2-9

Bagman

Reserve Team Sub
Tuesday 8th April 2014
Sky Bet League One

Brentford 1 v 0 Crawley Town

Programme £3 , Attendance 7718 (Away Fans 409 )

Jonathan Douglas headed the only goal 58 mins

bluearmybob

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Ipswich Town since April 11th 1966.
Groundhopping since 1st January 1983.
1967. IPSWICH TOWN (4) v MILLWALL (1) Division 2. Att 20,130.
1981. IPSWICH TOWN (1) v FC KOLN (0) UEFA Cup Semi-Final 1st Leg. Att 24,780.
1986. IPSWICH TOWN (0) v LEICESTER CITY (2) Division 1. Att 11,718.
1989. IPSWICH TOWN (1) v HULL CITY (1) Division 2. Att 10,191.
1995. SCARBOROUGH (1) v PRESTON NORTH END (1) Division 3. Att 4,266.
2000. IPSWICH TOWN (3) v PORT VALE (0) Division 1. Att 19,633.
2006. IPSWICH TOWN (1) v STOKE CITY (4) Championship. Att 23,592.
2017. MOLESEY (1) v GREENWICH BOROUGH (2) ILD1S. Att 61.

aiwa

Junior Team Star
1989 Hartlepool United 2-1 Colchester United (FLD4) My frantic attempt to conduct 92 visits to the relegation candidates before the end of the season continued with a long trip from Birmingham to Cleveland on a cool day. Must have changed trains at Darlington because I have pics of both Feethams and the old Darlington Cleveland Bridge ground from the same day. The Victoria Ground, as it was then known, was a mixed bag at the time; the Clarence Road side was closed to supporters, with an array of temporary buildings including a small officials' stand. The ice rink end had just been covered, but the other end (which I think was kept for away fans) was shallow and uncovered. Finally, you had the starkly cantilevered Mill House Stand, which I really liked even though its exposed supports showed more rust than paint. Narrow win for the home side, but as another poster who was at a game on this day observed, the crowd was severely distracted at the start of the second-half due to the Grand National being run at the same time. Not that I cared - I'd happily consign all horse racing to the bin.
Apr 8 Hartlepool.jpg

1998 Wimbledon Reserves 2-3 Tottenham Hotspur Reserves (Football Combination, at Plough Lane) Unfortunately I'd missed doing a 92 visit to Plough Lane, and with the ground earmarked for development the only option was a reserves game. This required taking a day off work for a Wednesday afternoon kick-off, so made the most of the day by meeting up with Mike Floate and getting some additional shots of Fulham and Hurlingham Park Stadium before the 'main event'. Only the main stand was open and we were treated to a good game, the highlight of which was a 30-yard screamer scored by Les Ferdinand, which I'd put in my all-time Top 10 of best goals seen in the flesh. After the game, managed to get onto the 'big end', whatever it was called, for a photo opportunity:
Apr 8 Wimb1.jpg

barnetbee

Youth Team Starter
1989 - Leytonstone/Ilford 2 Dagenham 1 (Vauxhall Opel league premier Division) - played @ the famous Green Pond road home of Walthamstow Avenue, ground & club long since disappeared although there is a club now playing under that name presently playing in the Essex Senior league.
1991 - Barnet 2 Kidderminster Harriers 3 (GM Vauxhall conference)
1995 - Barnet 2 Mansfield Town 2 (Endsleigh Insurance league Division 3)
1996 - Wingate & Finchley 3 Southall 0 (ICIS league Division 3)
2000 - Barnet 1 Shrewsbury Town 1 (Nationwide league Division 3)
2004 - Cockfosters 0 Welwyn Garden City 1 (Spartan South Midlands league Division 1)
2006 - Barnet 2 Notts County 1 (Coca Cola league 2)
2017 - Barnet 0 Luton Town 1 (Sky bet league 2)

prorege

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Fife clubs
1984, Sunday

Having got the train from Edinburgh to Liverpool the previous day, it was back down South today with a drive to York for York City v Doncaster Rovers.

English League Division Four
York City v Doncaster Rovers, 1-1, H.T. 1-1, Att 11,297
At Bootham Crescent

Both teams were battling for promotion from the Fourth Division, hence the big crowd, boosted by around 4000 Doncaster supporters. The attendance of 11,297 was the biggest at Bootham Crescent for nine years. A win for the home side would have guaranteed promotion.

I was behind the goal with the Doncaster supporters. That area was overcrowded so hundreds of Doncaster fans spilled into the home sections leading to sporadic outbreaks of fighting at times throughout the match. Doncaster fans were also not on best terms with the police at that time which meant a palpable tension in the air throughout the afternoon.

The main stand was to my right. York fans had the far away end which was a bit bigger but much less crowded than the Doncaster end.

York: Roger Jones, Steve Senior, Alan Hay, Ricky Sbragia, John McPhail, Derek Hood, Gary Ford, Sean Haslegrave, Keith Walwyn, John Byrne, Alan Pearce.
Donny: Dennis Peacock, Billy Russell, Steve Yates, Jim Dobbin, Glenn Humphries, John Philliben, Alan Brown, Ernie Moss, Colin Douglas, Andy Kowalski, Glyn Snodin,
Ref: K Walmsley (Blackpool)

Ricky Sbragia went on to a stellar career in coaching. Although Scottish, his only playing appearances in Scotland were a short loan spell at Morton he later became a Coack with the SFA. John McPhail had come from Dundee to Sheffield United and was a stalwart both there and at York. Sean Haslegrave was familiar from being a fringe player at Stoke. Billy Bremner had used his Scottish contacts to add Scotland Youth stars Jim Dobbin and John Philliben to his squad a few weeks previously. They joined Billy Russell and Colin Douglas – two Scots who had been Celtic youth players but never made the breakthrough at Parkhead.

Both goals were scored in the first half. Doncaster went ahead when Glyn Snodin was on hand to score from close range. York squandered a great chance to equalise when they were awarded a penalty. It was a dubious decision and the kick was delayed as missiles were thrown from the Doncaster end. John Byrne eventually stepped up but his kick was saved by Peacock in the Rovers goal. Peacock then gifted York an equaliser, venturing much too far from goal and was caught out as Ford lobbed the ball into the net. I distinctly remember Keith Walwyn running into the net to celebrate and retrieve the ball and being bombarded with a hail of coins.

No further goals and the draw didn’t really do either side any great harm. York went on to win the League by some distance. Doncaster finished second and went up along with Reading and Bristol City – those four being well clear of Aldershot in fifth place.

York v Doncaster 84 prog.jpg

Belushi

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Coventry City
1969 Tuesday Division 1

Coventry City 2 Manchester United 1 HT 1-0 Att: 45,402

Coventry: Glazier; Coop; Cattlin; Machin; Curtis; Blockley; Baker (Hannigan); Hunt; Martin; Carr; Hill.

Utd: Stepney; Fitzpatrick; Stiles; Crerand; James; Sadler; Morgan; Kidd; Best; Charlton; Aston.

In front of Coventry's largest home crowd of the season goals from Curtis (3) and Martin (48) gave them a two goal lead, to which United could only reply with a 69th minute Fitzpatrick effort.

At the end of the season Coventry avoided relegation by one point, so the two points won today kept them up, but you could say that about any of the ten wins Coventry ground out that season.

After Coventry had played their last match of the season, Leicester, who were below them, still had four games to play but were five points off safety. Leicester went into their last match needing a win, but lost 3-2 - against Manchester United at Old Trafford.

And again George Best had a poor game at Highfield Road, thankfully. Why could he perform brilliantly on Match of the Day but play badly when I paid to see him in the flesh?

Bagman

Reserve Team Sub
Saturday 8th April 2017

Herts Senior County League Senior Premier Division

Cuffley (0) 0 v 2 (1) Bovingdon

Admission Nil Programmes No Attendance 14

mxhornet

Reserve Team Starter
Football

1975 Romford - 2 Stourbridge - 1 Southern League Premier Division

1984 Waltham Abbey - 4 BROB Barnet - 1 London Spartan League Premier Division

1985 Welwyn Garden City - 1 Knebworth - 4 South Midlands League Premier Division

1986 Crawley Town - 2 King's Lynn - 1 Southern League Premier Division

1988 Norwich City Reserves - 1 Chelsea Reserves - 1 Football Combination

1989 Yelverton Reserves - 6 Norwich St Johns A - 4 Norwich Business Houses League Division Four (played for away side)

1990 Cottage - 14 BRS - 0 Friendly (played for away side)

1995 Rangers FC - 2 Zenith Windows - 2 AET Shoe Trades Cup Semi Final @ Sloughbottom Park

1996 Southend United - 1 Watford - 1 (5,348) Endsleigh League Division One

2000 Holy Trinity - 2 Mulbarton United A - 2 Norwich Business Houses League Division Two @ Sloughbottom Park

2018 Bungay Town Ladies - 9 Long Stratton Ladies - 0 (25) Norfolk Women's League Division One @ Saxlingham Nethergate

Running

1977 Havering Road Relays - Hornchurch (1.5 miles) 7-23 4th team (ran second leg of four)

1984 Croydon Harriers Open Meeting - Norman Park, Bromley 3000 metres 9-17.0 11th

1992 Great Yarmouth 5 miles Series (race one) 27-20 9th

2001 Southern 12 Stage Road Relay (leg eight) - Open University, Milton Keynes (5,506 metres) 20-20 21st team

2006 National 12 Stage Road Relay (last leg) - Sutton Park (2.995 miles) 18-02 29th team

2017 Catton parkrun (184) 22-58 85th

willesden

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Scarborough Athletic, Hull City & Hendon
1978: Scarborough 2 Buxton 1 Northern Premier League (att: 1,632)

Boro goals from Stuart Blampey and Kenny Ellis.

1981: Scarborough 0 AP Leamington 0 Alliance Premier League (att: 761)

1986: Bury 3 Cardiff City 0 Division Three (att: 1,720)

Bury.jpg

A ride through with my Scarborough based Bluebirds supporting mate for this Tuesday evening fixture. Gigg Lane showing its sign of age. We stood with the decent travelling support who saw their team outplayed.

1987: Hull City 0 Leeds United 0 Division Two (att: 9,531)

Blankety blank at Boothferry, sat in the Best Stand with friends who’d given me a lift. Leeds heading towards the cup semi-final and play-offs.

City: Tony Norman, Charlie Palmer, Alex Dyer, Richard Jobson, Peter Skipper, Garry Parker, Andy Saville, Billy Askew, Frankie Bunn, Pat Heard, Gareth Roberts.

Dirty Leeds: Mervyn Day, Neil Aspin, Jack Ashurst, Mark Aizlewood (John Stiles), Micky Adams, Brendan Ormsby, Bobby McDonald, John Sheridan, John Pearson, Ian Baird.

1989: Crewe Alexandra 1 Scarborough 1 Division Four (att: 3,423)

Boro chasing promotion drop more points under Colin Morris as Paul Dobson scored while the good turnout of away fans grabbed whatever vantage point they could from the limited accommodation on offer.

1995: Scarborough 1 Preston North End 1 Division Three (att: 4,266)

Steve Charles for the Seadogs

2000: Kingstonian 2 Scarborough 0 Football Conference (att: 952)

K's.jpg

A hot day as I met pals off the train at Kings Cross with a colleague from work before we headed to the Robert Peel with its interesting entertainment. Boro outplayed. Probably not ideal having the K’s sponsored by Grolsch. I remember paying for it the next day.

2012: Thai Honda 0 Samut Sakon 1 Thai Regional League Bangkok Area (att: 150) followed by a brief look at RBAC BEC Tero Sasana 2 Customs United 0 Thai Regional League Bangkok Region (att: 175) followed by Bangkok United 2 Chanthaburi 1 Thailand Division One (att: 1,021)

1.png

Three Sunday games though some of the fellow purists will shake their heads. My attitude is to do as much as I can as you never know if you’ll get another chance. C-19 confirms it.

Anyway, landing after a week in Chiang Mai I booked into a hotel near Suvarnabhumi Airport as I was on a morning flight home the following morning. A taxi took me to KMITL Stadium which was impressive, even if a long way from the pitch. Many tourists pass it as they start their journey south towards Pattaya.

IMG_0902.jpg

Not much happening on the pitch in the heat of a 4pm kick off. At half time I eventually found a taxi driver who’d take me towards Bangkapi. My main second game was in the heart of the city, so I thought I’d pop in somewhere else midway. It would have been very difficult to find a driver to take me the full distance in one go.

IMG_0911.jpg

We got lost a couple of times among the myriad of little streets before I was dropped by a gate where I watched through the wires of the final ten minutes. RBAC are no longer in the Thai league system, so I’m glad I had a quick glimpse. A bit of a sod as they’d be convenient for where I intend to locate when this current mess is out of the way.

Fortunately, another cab was soon sourced for the journey to the Thai-Japanese Stadium in Din Daeng. Bangkok United raced into a 2-0 lead before the visitors grabbed one back and pressed for an equaliser after the break.

IMG_0926.jpg

Hundreds of keep fit fans were being led by a mic’d up instructor on the field out the back at half time. An incredible sight. A team shirt cost me just over a tenner. The floodlights went out as a huge storm approached with ten minutes left. I made a run for it rather than being stranded. A loony cab driver got me back to near Bangkapi where I met my pal and his good lady for food and a few drinks before I headed back to my rather spartan room.

2018: Udon Thani 1 Army United 1 Thai League 2 (att: 4,534)

utfc.jpg

A first visit to the vibrant city of Udon Thani following another Chiang Mai tournament. It was good. After sobering up from the previous evening’s adventures and a couple of liveners we commandeered a tuk tuk to the game. The driver took us to the wrong place, thinking we were playing in some game at a sports centre. Definitely a case of lost in translation.

He managed to follow fans in shirts on mopeds to drop us outside the rather basic Institute of Physical Education Stadium which had a feel of the Withdean Stadium about it with temporary open stands plonked down in any space available.

30516564_10157345307954676_1132096644775529765_n.jpg

The atmosphere and experience definitely better than the game with the locals most hospitable. Erivelto headed home for Army after the break, whose spoiling tactics looked to have paid off. Udon levelled things up ten minutes later. A very good inswinging cross from Kasidech Wettayawong found the head of Danusorn Wijitpanya to glance home.

Both sides had chances to win it, but a draw was about right. No taxis or tuk tuks were around so we set off walking back into town. Fortunately, we were picked up within ten minutes. Maybe word got round of a couple of daft foreigners looking for a tuk tuk? A belting night ensued down town.

Wiretown.Editor

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
1992 HFS Loans League Division One Congleton Town v Guiseley 0-2

1993 HFS Loans League Division One Congleton Town v Warrington Town Lost 2-1

1995 North West Counties League Division Two Nelson v Flixton 0-3

1996 Stones Bitter Super League I Wigan Warriors v Warrington Wolves Lost 42-12

1997 UniBond League Division One Warringto Town v Great Harwood Town Drew 1-1

1998 Eric Evans Cars Cymru Alliance Denbigh Town v Ruthin Town 3-2

1999 North Western Trains Division Two Cup Final (@ Darwen FC)
Fleetwood Freeport v Warrington Town 2-1

The Fleetwood Bandwagon jumpers were out in force and being rather worse for drinking wear were looking to pick a fight with anyone not from Fleetwood, but especially with anyone from Warrington. Mostly young lads/men as was more frequent in those days of crowd trouble. This season was the embryonic stage of Fleetwood's rise through the leagues

2000 League of Wales Haverfordwest County v Flexsys Cefn Druids 3-0

The first full day of a week away in Pembrokeshire

2002 Somerset County League Premier Division Robinsons v Burnham United 1-1

Another holiday game with options somewhat low, but I enjoyed this. Way out down the lanes to the south of Bristol was one of two grounds on opposite sides of the road. This was enclosed and possibly railed. There was no programme but I got an old one from what was reported to be the last ever game played in the 1900’s (presumably just in the UK). It was a day when there were virtually no fixtures and it kicked of as late as was permissible in order to make that claim on New Years Eve 1999.

2003 Frank Armitt Liverpool County Combination Prescot Leisure v Waterloo Dock 0-5

Prescot Leisure were reported by the club officials as being the renamed BICC Prescot ex of NW Counties and arguably the original Cables team. It was not on the same ground which was still there but 3G. This was a mile or so away out towards the M57. Just a roped pitch

2006 Everards Brewery Leicestershire Senior League Division One
Bardon Hill Sports v Earl Shilton Albion T57 3-1

2008 Frank Armitt Liverpool County FA Premier League Premier Division Roma v Birchfield 3-3

A railed pitch which I believe was quite close to where a young child Rhys Jones was shot and killed a few months earlier. I remember it being on the news.

2014 Guy Walmsley Solicitors Welsh National League (Wrexham Area) Premier Division
Saltney Town v Penyffordd 0-2

2017 Door4 East Lancashire League Presidents Cup Third Round Langho v Rimmington 2-9
Nelson
1617867449910.png

Haverfordwest County
1617867479807.png

Robinsons (now Stockwood Green FC)
1617867557770.png

Prescot Leisure
1617867595922.png

Bardon Hill Sports
1617867626193.png

Roma
1617867657183.png

Langho
1617867683711.png

Ellisref

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Wrexham and a general look out for some of the friendly teams I've been observing at around the country.
1975 - Bournemouth Water Co v Verwood (Bankes Senior Cup Quarter Final) - linesman. At the time this charity competition was started pre-season and finished at the end. Played at Alderney Waterworks, a superb playing surface. It and the club were lost when the company needed the space for expansion, from memory part of the narrow covered standing survived a while longer.
1978 - Old Salvatorians v Tokyngton - referee. Both sides must have been well up with their fixtures as this was a friendly, played at Roxbourne Park, Eastcote.
1984 - Sutton Villa v Ducane (West Fulham Sunday 2) - referee.
1989 - Banstead Athletic Res v Sutton United Res (Suburban South) - referee. Kew Bridge - Tattenham Corner (return) = 49.5 miles.
1992 - Brentford Res v Sutton United (Capital) - linesman, not repeating journey mileage from an earlier post!
1995 - Liskeard Athletic v Elmore (Western Premier) - linesman. Only visit to Lux Park, all three of us travelled from Bournemouth/Poole in one car. Whilst it saved the clubs expenses it's fraught with difficulties e.g. breakdown.
1996 (Easter Monday) - BAT v AFC Totton (Wessex) - referee, att. 122. Bring in an 'out of town' referee for a local derby!
2001 - Parkbury v Bluebird (Bournemouth Sunday 1) - referee.
2003 - Branksome Conservative Club v Parkbury (Bournemouth Sunday Premier) - referee. Just a re-named division, a fixture backlog this season - played on a Tuesday evening.
2004 - Marina Sports v Moors United (Bournemouth Sunday 4) - referee. A Thursday evening this time, played Merley Cobham Sports.
2006 - Poole Town v AFC Newbury (Wessex 1) - observer, att. 169.
2007 - Hamworthy Car Centre v Red Lion Wareham (Dorset Sunday 1) - referee. Change of sponsors for Hamworthy Lions.
2008 - Rossmore Athletic v Lovett (Bournemouth Sunday 10) - referee. Another year with a fixture backlog needing midweek evening matches.
2010 - Branksome Celtic v New Star United (Bournemouth Sunday 2) - referee, as per 2003, 2004 and 2008!
2012 - Kings Arms Athletic v Scott V (Bournemouth Sunday 9) - referee, actually played on a Sunday!
2014 - Brockenhurst v Sholing (Wessex Premier) - observer, att. 92.
2017 - Weymouth Res v Andover New Street (Wessex 1) - observer, att. 53.

Hoddy1.

First Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
R2ab41ef94c66ee4e16f7575ec9000209.jpg

RETRO Part 2.

Saturday @ 16-00.
France tier 1.
Nantes 1 v 0 Olympique Marseille.

@ Stadium Marcel Saupin .
stade-marcel-saupin-04_a18b2d0e19c4ed330f7786780a91725f.jpg

Nantes - Jean Paul Bertrand-Demanes , Max Bossis , Patrice Rio , Angel Bargas , Omar Sahnoun , Oscar Muller , Henri Michel, Thierry Tusseau , Eric Pecout , Bruno Baronchelli (1) , Guy Lacombe.
Manager - Jean Vincent.

4' 35'' for the goal -

Marseille - Gerard Migeon , Jean Pierre Truqui , Michel Baulier , Victor Zvunka , Marius Tresor , Francois Bracci , Anders Linderoth , Jean Fernandez , Marc Berdoll , Boubacar Sarr , Herve Flores.
Subs - Gerard Bacconnier for Fernandez.
Managers- Celestin Oliver / Ivan Markovic.

-untitled.png-v-untitled.png

Referee - Marc Buils.

This was a one off , went for a couple of days break with a friend and it was coincidental that there was a game on 🤫.
It was to be 21 / 09 / 85 before returning to the new Stadium de la Beaujoire for a game against Nice.

As you can see from the tables below it was 3rd v 1st and the end of Marseilles hopes in this seasons title chase , they went downhill after this only getting 4 points from the remaining 5 games.
Monaco were winning at Lens that day 3-2.
Nantes were by far the better team on a sticky pitch but it was just the one goal early in the second half with a header from Bruno Baronchelli that settled it.

Nantes dropped one point in the 5 remaining games but it was not enough Monaco winning all 5 ! Nantes lost it at Rouen in the penultimate round only getting a 0-0.

Monaco still needed a result in the last round and at the same time Nantes were hammering Nice 6-1 to better their GD ,
Monaco were 2-0 up of their last game against Bastia in the 48th minute and looking champions , Bastia's Johnny Rep however pulled one back on 63 and then it was 30 minutes of squeaky bum time for Monaco.

Going into todays game =
Olympique Marseille, France
Olympique Marseille 33187863:362743:23
AS Monaco, France
AS Monaco 33179765:412443:23
FC Nantes, France
FC Nantes 33179749:252443:23

End of season =
AS Monaco, France
AS Monaco 38229779:463353:23
FC Nantes, France
FC Nantes 382110760:263452:24
RC Strasbourg, France
RC Strasbourg 381912770:403050:26
Olympique Marseille, France
Olympique Marseille 382071170:412947:29
45 x games , 5 x 0-0's, 3 x doubles, 1 x quadruple db3wbzg-0420b4f8-90d8-4f2b-a68a-94ed3034e76a.gif 16 x foreign.

Some other games visited on this date ( Top tier + Internationals + oddities ).

1972 Liverpool 3 v 1 Coventry. (11-30 ).
1972 Man City 3 v 1 West Ham ( 15-00 ).
1977 West Ham 2 v 2 Birmingham ( 11-00 ).
1977 Romford 5 v 0 Andover ( 15-00 ).
1985 Wotton Blue Cross 2 v 0 Ampthill ( 11-00 ).
1985 Baldock 0 v 2 Potton ( 15-00 ).
1985 Shillington 0 v 0 Eaton Bray ( 17-30 ).
1985 Arlesey 1 v 0 Stotfold ( 19-30 ).
2018 National Defence 8 v 0 Western Phnom Penh.

---------1986--Carmel made his day----------------------1838--Great Western maiden voyage--------
--untitled.png--The_Steamer_Great_Western_of_Bristol_RMG_A7626.jpg

Last edited:

Dribble!

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Ipswich Town
1978 - Ipswich Town 3 WBA 1 - Fa Cup Semi-final @Highbury - Brilliant game, great day, in the Clock end and more enjoyable than the final as on the way home, you knew you were now going to Wembley and the build up could start.
2000 - Ipswich Town 3 Port Vale 0 - Division One
2018 - Second day of Serbian Ground hop;
Partizan Belgrade U19 1 FK Brodarac 4 - Omladinska Liga -
Morning Kick-off
Played at the partizan Training ground, the pitch is also used by SC Partizan-Teleoptik. A crowd of almost 400 were at the game which was a local derby and it was the visitors who dominated and were by far the better team, I found out one of the possible reasons from our guide who is also a sports journalist. The Partizan team were actually Under 18 whilst their opponents Under 19. It seems at 18 the Partizan players find themselves on 'loan' at Teleoptik. So the club who share the ground seem to be a Partizan nursery club. that would have to change if Teleoptik got promoted.
1617871884340.png

Partizan Belgrade 2 FK Radnik Surdulica 1 - Supa Liga - Afternoon Kick-off
Nearly missed kick-off as the 45 hoppers enjoyed a long lunch by the river! After the morning game which contained plenty of good football, with the players all being very talented technically it was surprising how poor the first team game was - and the result also looked quite dodgy! Partizan needed a win but the opponents scored first- certainly not in the planned script, Partizan got back in the game and then the Ref did not want any more upsets, so he sent a few of the Surdulica players off just to make sure Partisan got over the line- well that is what seemed to happen to most of us watching.
1617872035421.png
1617872051939.png

Ricardo

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC wimbledon
1989 QPR 4 Wimbledon 3 crowd 9,056
Division One, Loftus Rd, London

This was a more one sided game than it sounds as despite taking the lead we were largely outplayed by QPR and the result was fair. Alan Mcdonald, the Northern Irish defender, fouled John Fashanu in the area and within four minutes we were ahead with Fash converting the spot kick. The home side struck back quickly and were soon ahead with Colin Clarke(9) and Nigel Spackman(13)scoring past Hans Segers in goal and Mark Falco added a third just before the break. Just after half time Peter Reid, newly signed from Everton, added a fourth as they threatened to overrun us. Lawrie Sanchez pulled one back after 55 minutes and in injury time Dennis Wise scored another but it was too late to influence the final result.

1992 Liverpool 2 Wimbledon 3 crowd 26,134
Premier League, Anfield, Liverpool

A midweek trip to Liverpool and the 300 or so away fans saw another victory to cherish even if the home side were not going through their best period. Graeme Souness had had a heart bypass and Ronnie Moran was in temporary charge of the home side, who rested a few players as this game fell in between their two cup semi finals against Portsmouth, the first of which had gone to extra time just three days earlier. Despite this Michael Thomas opened the scoring after just 6 minutes and although Lawrie Sanchez equalised after 35 minutes Ronny Rosenthal restored the lead just before half time. It seemed Liverpool would go on to win but we managed to outlast them and Andy Clarke made it 2-2 on 65 minutes. With 72 minutes on the clock, Rob Jones tripped John Fashanu in the area and the ref bravely gave a penalty at the Kop end, given the number of dubious penalties the home side got over the years you might have thought they could take one on the chin but no, they argued and argued for ages although it probably only lasted three or four minutes it could easily have been enough to put the taker off but Fashanu loved the challenge and slotted home and stood there milking it after as if to say you tried to cheat but failed. After that, there was a predictable comeback but they eventually ran out of steam and we celebrated a deserved victory.
83CB3C87-40FA-4580-A428-7CA21E83E6D5.jpeg
2000 Sunderland 2 Wimbledon 1 crowd 41,592
Premier League, Stadium of Light, Sunderland

We were in a downward spiral that would eventually end in relegation and Sunderland had been promoted so this could potentially have been our only ever visit to their new ground so I wanted to get there before we went down. I seem to recall that the roof was open at one end so this was awaiting completion which given that the ground had been in use since 1997 seems a bit odd(perhaps Karb can enlighten us). The home side were just outside the European places in 7th so unsurprisingly dominated the game with us looking to catch them on the break and eventually Scot Alex Rae set up Niall Quinn to fire home past Neil Sullivan just before the hour. We managed to equalise with winger Michael Hughes firing a deflected shot home on 70 minutes after being teed up by Norwegian Andreas Lund. Ecuadorian Milton Nunez came on as sub for the home side but it was Kevin Kilbane who fired in the winner with 8 minutes left from a Rae corner and the long train journey home found us contemplating the end of our 14 year stay in the top flight.
FA036AF1-9896-4445-A565-A1FB78E9CCCF.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks