DonQuixote

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Romford [el revolución]
Everton [el revolución2]
@brentwoodSunLge
UCL Premier.
Kirby Muxloe 0 Yaxley 2.(18)

And there was me thinking I was with you at Macc that day?

Two fine sessions in the Treacle Tap and the first and only time
I've met Leo H of this parish.... :unsure:

Kirby Knitters

First Team Regular
And there was me thinking I was with you at Macc that day?

Two fine sessions in the Treacle Tap and the first and only time
I've met Leo H of this parish.... :unsure:
That's what you get for not keeping records and assuming you were at a ground that you were always at on a Saturday afternoon. There have been a couple of others where there was doubt but I looked at the old forum to make sure. 🤔

I don't believe we ever collected any cab money off Leo 😀

Last edited:

DonQuixote

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Romford [el revolución]
Everton [el revolución2]
@brentwoodSunLge
Good point but I'll let it ride.

More pissed off that we didn't order a taxi back to the pub after the game.
Wasn't best pleased having to walk all that way - and in drizzle too. 🌧

#notahappybunny.

Bagman

Reserve Team Starter
Wednesday 23rd April 2014
Essex Senior League
Gordon Brasted Memorial Trophy 3rd Round

Eton Manor 1 v 2 London APSA (played at Waltham Abbey FC )

Admission £3 OAP, Programme £1, Attendance 10.

A very dull first half with the only highlight being the penalty scored in the 42nd minute by Ashley Wackers.

Half-Time 1-0

In the secord minute of the second half APSA levelled from Vender Nunes and from then on the game vastly improved as a spectacle. Following their 47th minute goal the visitors upped their game and also defended well. The APSA winner came in the 74nd minute. from Jose Thomas shame such a pitiful crowd number was watching the game.

bluearmybob

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Ipswich Town since April 11th 1966.
Groundhopping since 1st January 1983.
1966. IPSWICH TOWN (1) v MANCHESTER CITY (1) Division 2. Att 15,995.
1977. IPSWICH TOWN (0) v MIDDLESBROUGH (1) Division 1. Att 23,348.
1983. IPSWICH TOWN (4) v SUNDERLAND AFC (1) Division 1. Att 16,193.
1984. IPSWICH TOWN (2) v NORWICH CITY (0) Division 1. Att 22,135.
1985. IPSWICH TOWN (2) v LEICESTER CITY (0) Division 1. Att 13,666.
1988. IPSWICH TOWN (4) v MIDDLESBROUGH (0) Division 2. Att 12,773.
2011. BRENTWOOD TOWN (1) v CHESHUNT (1) ILD1N. Att 763.
2016. MERSTHAM (3) v KINGSTONIAN (1) ILP. Att 266.

Last edited:

Wiretown.Editor

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Warrington Town are #1, Leeds Utd, Stranraer, Matlock Town, Warrington Wolves RLFC
1991 HFS Loans League Division One Congleton Town v Warrington Town Lost 2-1

1992 Mid Cheshire Senior Cup Final Second Leg (Aggregate W 3-2)
Northwich Victoria v Winsford United Won 2-1

1994 Northern Premier League Division One Warrington Town v Mossley Lost 0-1

1995 Konica League of Wales Llansantffraid v Afan Lido 0-0

1996 PA Rowlands Construction Cymru Alliance Ruthin Town v Cefn Druids 1-5

One year on and an identical fixture (no planning on my part here)

1997 P A Rowlands Construction Cymru Alliance Ruthin Town v Cefn Druids 2-3

2001 Westward Developments Devon League Crediton United v Plymstock United 4-0

2002 Bass Winnington Park Mid Cheshire League Division Two Golborne Sports v Crossfields 1-1

2003 Welsh National League (Wrexham Area) Division One Acrefair Youth v Corwen Reserves 2-1

Abacus Lighting Central Midlands League Vipond Fire Protection Premier Division
Santos v Bentley Colliery 1-5

Forest Town v AFC Barnsley 0-0

Abacus Lighting Central Midlands League Stadium Services Supreme Division
Rainworth Miners Welfare v Teversal 0-2

Welbeck Welfare v Pinxton 1-2 (a great setting at this atmospheric venue with a good decent attendance. The mines have now all gone when we went to do their new ground up the bank. The old pitch was still in situ).

2008 MacKenzie Jones Solicitors Clwyd League Aston Park Rangers v Halkyn United Reserves 5-3

Carlsberg South West Peninsula League Division One West Okehampton Argyle v Holsworthy 0-1

Carlsberg South West Peninsula League Division One West Camelford v Foxhole Stars 4-0

Carlsberg South West Peninsula League Division One West Dobwalls v Callington Town 1-3

2015 Precision Training Notts Senior League Division One Ashland Rovers v Newark Flowserve 3-3

2016 Wearside League Cup Semi-final Stockton Town v Cleator Moor Celtic (T370) 3-1
Ruthin Town (the pitch has moved since i last went I think) and seats have been added to the cover
1617981063508.png

Crediton United
1617981096711.png

Acrefair Youth and the Pontycsyllte aqueduct which I have walked and sailed across.

1617981145976.png
1617981173780.png
1617981220815.png

Aston Park Rangers
1617981267251.png

Okehampton Arglye
1617981310662.png

Dobwalls
1617981350880.png

aiwa

Youth Team Hopeful
1988 Fleetwood Town 0-3 Harrogate Town (NPL Div One) Fleetwood were eventually crowned champions of the inaugural season of the NPL's lower tier, but Harrogate won this at a canter. Who'd have thought both clubs would end up in the FL?
Fleetwood 23-04-1988.jpg

1994 Hutnik Krakow 0-1 Zawisza Bydgoszcz (Polish top flight) Was visiting a mate who was out in Krakow teaching English, and I'd wanted to see Krakow since it was a key location in my favourite Kieslowski film The Double Life of Veronique. The club name translates as 'Krakow Steelworkers' and their incredibly basic ground was a long way from Krakow centre in the seriously drab 'Nowa Huta' area, not far from the steelworks itself. Somehow Hutnik were clinging on to their top flight status despite very low crowds. The ground had no proper cover at this time, I see it now has a small cover opposite the 'tribune' but it's still a soulless looking place. England trained here at Euro 2012. I couldn't in all honesty recommend a visit to Hutnik, but Krakow itself is highly recommended.
Apr 23 Hutnik.jpg

barnetbee

Youth Team Regular
1988 - Hendon 1 Windsor & Eton 1 (Vauxhall Opel league premier Division)
1991 - Potters Bar Crusaders 2 Risborough Rangers 0 (South Midlands league Division 1)
1994 - Wolves 1 Luton Town 0 (Endsleigh Insurance league Division 1)
2005 - Dagenham & Redbridge 2 Barnet 0 (Nationwide conference)
2011 - Gillingham 2 Barnet 4 (Npower league 2)
2013 - Cockfosters 6 Codicote 0 (Spartan South Midlands league Division 1)
2016 - Boreham Wood 1 Guiseley 0 (Vanarama National league)
2018 - Kingstonian 3 Staines Town 1 @ Leatherhead (Bostik league premier Division)

Last edited:

Hoddy1.

First Team Starter
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
R2ab41ef94c66ee4e16f7575ec9000209.jpg

RETRO Part 2..

Easter Monday @ 15-00.
England tier 1.
Wolverhampton Wanderers 3 v 0 Norwich City.

@ Molineux.
7293820_orig.jpg

Wolves - Phil Parkes , Gerry Taylor , Derek Parkin , Mike Bailey , Derek Jefferson , John McAlle , Barry Powell , Alan Sunderland (2) , John Richards (1) , Derek Dougan , Dave Wagstaffe.
Sub - Steve Kindon for Dougan.
Manager - Bill McGarry.

Norwich - Kevin Keelan , Clive Payne , Alan Black , Dave Stringer , Duncan Forbes , Trevor Hockey , Doug Livermore , Colin Suggett , Paul Cheeseley , Max Briggs , Ian Mellor.
Sub - Trevor Howard for Hockey.
Manager - Ron Saunders

Bit of a one sided affair , Wolves were one of the better sides at the time and finished the season in 5th position while Norwich in their first ever season in the top flight were struggling to not be relegated.
They managed to stave off relegation for this season but finished rock bottom the next .

They saved their skin in 72/73 by beating fellow relegation fighters Crystal Palace in the game after Wolves ,by 2-1 at Carrow Road n front of 36,922. Palace and WBA being relegated.

So Norwich escaped relegation and had been in the League Cup Final too , losing 1-0 to Spurs on March 3 , 1973 , so a decent first season in the top flight.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Easter Monday @ 19-30.
England tier 4.
Stockport County 1 v 0 Newport County.

@ Edgeley Park.
s-l225.jpg

Stockport - Alan Ogley , Jimmy Collier , Les Ormrod , Tommy Spratt , Paul Hart (1) , Ken Fogarty , Eddie Garbett , Ian Lawther , John Griffiths , Ian Davidson , Ray Charter.
Manager - Brian Doyle.

Newport - John Macey , Graham Coldrick , Martyn Sprague , Billy Screen , Rod Jones , Brian Harris , Bob Summerhayes , Len Hill , Willie Brown , Jeff Thomas , Dai Jones.
Sub - Andy White for Thomas.
Manager - Billy Lucas.

This was mid table Stockport with nothing to play for against promotion chasing Newport.
Newports hopes were severely dented by this result , they eventually missed out on promotion by one place and one point.
42 x games , 1 x 0-0, 4 x doubles , beware_idiots.jpg 14 x foreign.

Some other games visited on this date ( Top tier + Internationals + oddities ).

1966 Stoke 0 v 1 Spurs.
1968 Stoke 3 v 2 Leeds.
1974 Wolves 1 v 0 Leicester.
1977 Dundela 3 v 0 Newry ( 11-30 ).
1977 Coleraine 4 v 1 Linfield. Cup Final. ( 15 -00 ).
1978 Thurles 1 v 1 St Pats.
2006 Karlovy Vary 6 v 0 KRC ( 10-30 ).
2006 Blsany 0 v 2 Olomouc ( 15-00 ).
2019 Vorskla 3 v 3 Desna.

------------------1516----Duke Wilhelm 1V endorses the Bavarian Reinheitsgebot-----------------
--------------------german-beer-purity-law-360.jpg

mxhornet

Reserve Team Regular
Football

1983 Billericay Town - 1 Hayes - 0 Isthmian League Premier Division

1984 Edgware Town - 2 Fleet Town - 2 Athenian League
Woodford Town - 2 Erith & Belvedere - 2 Southern League Southern Division

1996 Sprowston Athletic - 1 Scole United - 1 Anglian Combination Division Three

1997 Lakeford Rangers Reserves - 0 Brandon Town Reserves - 3 Anglian Combination Reserve Division Two @ Marlingford Sports Club

2003 Sheringham - 26 Norwich United Reserves - 0 Anglian Combination Division Three (my record score)

2017 Sprowston Ladies - 2 Long Stratton - 2 (35) Norfolk Women's League Division Two

Running

1989 Dereham Runners 10km 39-11 17th

1995 Bungay Black Dog Half Marathon 1-25-26 35th

2005 National Road Relay - Sutton Park (2.995 miles) 18-41 28th team (ran last leg)

2006 East Anglian League - UEA Sportspark, Norwich 3000 metres 10-11.8 7th

2011 Compton Downland Challenge 4-23-38 110th

2014 Great Yarmouth 5 miles (race one) 37-21 105th

2016 Brundall parkrun (45) 23-17 17th

prorege

First Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Fife clubs
1974, Tuesday

Scottish League Division One
Hibernian v Arbroath, 2-1, H.T. 0-0, Att 6788
At Easter Road

The Red Lichties were in the top division in the early 1970s and earned a reputation as a hard team to beat. They focussed on a small squad of players, astute management by Bert Henderson, and a never say die attitude. In fact, substitute in Dick Campbell for Bert Henderson, and Championship for top flight, and you could say the same about the present day Lichties.

Hibs had chased Celtic all the way for the title in 1973/4 but by now their cause was hopeless. Celtic had opened a gap and the priority for Hibs was to secure the points necessary for UEFA Cup qualification.

Hibs: Jim McArthur, Des Bremner, Erich Schaedler, Pat Stanton, Derek Spalding, John Blackley, Alex Edwards, Joe Harper, Alan Gordon, Alex Cropley and Arthur Duncan. Subs Jimmy O’Rourke and Bobby Smith
Arbroath: Gordon Marshall, Jimmy Milne, Gordon Buchan, Tom Cargill, Joe Carson, Cammy Murray, Eric Sellars, Jimmy Cant, John Fletcher, Derek Rylance and Tommy Walker. Subs Kenny Payne and Allan McKenzie.
Ref: Hugh Alexander (Kilmarnock)

Arbroath had a couple of players whom I really admired. Striker John Fletcher, distinctive with his shock of fair hair, was really too good for Arbroath. He had a decent job outside football and was reluctant to go full time – and Arbroath paid decent part time wages. He was based in Newcastle, only joining up with his team mates on matchdays. Their other star was Tommy Walker. He was an Arbroath lad who had started out with the club then moved to Airdrie. He was back at Arbroath on a season-long loan whilst studying at Dundee University. He could play almost anywhere – full back or midfield were his best positions. His passing was sublime and he had the vision to see opportunities that lesser players couldn’t.

Arbroath’s mission that night was to get a draw. They were in 10th position, safe from the threat of relegation, but that didn’t alter Bert Henderson’s approach. Every point meant pools money for the club and a single point from a visit to easter Road would be a decent return.

They almost got it. For 80 minutes Hibs banged on the door but couldn’t unlock the Arbroath defence. The opening goal, when it came, was bizarre. Arthur Duncan appeared to deliberately run into Tommy Walker but the ref awarded an indirect free kick for obstruction. Edwards passed the ball to Bremner who fired in a low shot that ex-Hibs goalie Marshall saw late and couldn’t field.

Arbroath were level less than a minute later. Jim Cant’s effort took a wicked deflection and wrongfooted Jim McArthur. But almost straight from the centre Hibs scored again – Joe Harper holding off the challenge of an Arbroath defender before sliding a precise shot into the net. Three goals in three minutes.

Hibs ultimately secured second place in the League, a point ahead of third-placed Rangers. It was significant as only the top two were guaranteed European football – a place also went to the League Cup winners. That went to Dundee, who finished fifth. Rangers had to be content with a place in the Texaco Cup. Oh dear how sad.

Apr 23.jpgJim Cant arbroath.jpg
John Fletcher arbroath.jpgTommy Walker Airdrie.jpg

Dribble!

Reserve Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Ipswich Town
1988 - Ipswich Town 4 Middlesbrough 0 - Division Two - Boro were on their way to the play-offs and so had a good following at the game, but they were totally destroyed by Ipswich with the 'late' Dalian Atkinson the star of the show with a hat trick of fantastic goals.
2014 - Ipswich Town Under 16s 2 Tottenham Hotspur Under 16s 4 - Academy Fund raising game - @Portman Road
2016 - Needham Market 2 Dulwich Hamlet 1 - Ryman Premier Division

Back in November 2014 I upset a few Dulwich fans with my comments about them their fans when comparing them to the ultras at Clapton
But with Ipswich away in the North East and Dulwich coming to 'rural' Suffolk for an important end of season game I decided to take another Dulwich game in - I was even dressed to blend in with the large away support from South London as i proudly wore my Dulwich - FC Assyria t shirt. The game could see Dulwich secure a play-off place (and maybe see the Marketmen relegated) so 3 coaches had been hired to bring both the team, officials and a big away support to Bloomfields. the Suffolk club were well prepared with plenty of programmes and more importantly it seemed for the Dulwich fans, a well stocked bar!
We stood with the Dulwich fans, and they sung and cheered the whole first half but it seemed their efforts were not being matched on the pitch as Needham were not put under any real pressure and deservedly took the lead. In fact the highlight of the half was when the PA announced that the Dulwich Deputy Chair requested that the Dulwich fan please get down from the roof of the (small stand) the fan said he would get down as long as we caught him! Drink rather than the excitement of the game had encouraged him to climb on the roof. His antics were the main topic of conversation among the Dulwich fans and he would continue to be the centre of attention in the second half!
A few beers at half time and we returned for the last 45 minutes of the regular Ryman League season - Dulwich looked more threatening but it was Needham who scored again, playing on the break - Dulwich did get one back but Needham did not look in any real danger with ex Ipswich reserve and Cambridge Utd skipper, Ian Miller having a great game at centre half. For the last 10 minutes he had the help of ex Colchester player Kem Izzet in midfield as Needham secured the win and their place in the league.
DH1.jpgDH2.jpg
DH3.jpgDH4.jpg
The Dulwich fans continued to sing and cheer but even they seemed to have given up any hope of their team getting a much needed win. Their attention was again drawn to our drunk/punk roof of the stand climber, as he decided to have a sleep behind the stand - which created a queue of fans lining up to take his photograph - he may not remember much of the day but he will have many who can remind him along with the photographic evidence.
DH5.jpg

2018 - Ipswich Town Under 23s 3 Bolton Wanderers Under 23s 2 - @Portman Road

Ricardo

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
AFC wimbledon
1977 Staines Town 0 Wimbledon 0 aet crowd 1,500(est)
London Senior Cup final, Champion Hill, Dulwich

Also at the same game as Hants Londoner although this wasn’t Wimbledon’s penultimate game as a non league side, we had several more league games including a crunch match 2 days later at home to Kettering so we could have done without extra time. Being a naive 13 year old I expected us to win fairly comfortably but it wasn’t to be as Staines played really well and a draw was a fair result, as extra time went on and on no one really looked like scoring so it went to a replay which we won 1-0 but only after Staines had missed a penalty.
DB0F8F1A-DF4B-4C24-BF29-CBEDF8823C92.jpeg569128A1-C647-4540-A71F-706FACDF7AFB.jpeg
1985 Lens 1 Auxerre 0 crowd 7,054
Ligue 1, Stade Felix Bollaert, Lens, France

My last of a number of trips to Lens that season, and in fact my last since then, always meant to go back especially as the Louvre had opened a museum there but never quite got there. Auxerre were a very good side at the time and finished the season 4th, qualifying for the UEFA Cup, but Lens weren’t at all bad and only ended up a few places behind them, the only goal from Phillipe Vercryusse on 79 minutes settled this one.
5F1EF865-644F-4844-8037-4E8A5CDCB3D2.jpeg
1986 England 2 Scotland 1 crowd 68,357
Rous Cup, Wembley Stadium

Moved to a midweek slot to prevent the drunken hordes descending on London for the weekend, this was a hard fought victory as both teams prepared for the upcoming World Cup in Mexico. Terry Butcher(27)and Glenn Hoddle(43) gave England a 2-0 lead at the break, but it was game on after 56 minutes when Graeme Souness converted a penalty after Butcher had fouled Charlie Nicholas but we managed to hold on despite missing our two best players, Bryan Robson and Gary Lineker, with injury.
5B043205-18C1-4167-BFDC-00FD6AD534CF.jpeg
1995 Roma 0 Lazio 2 crowd 73,893
Stadio Olimpico, Rome, Italy

Back in the day companies used to run weekends to Italian football(they may well still do)and me and my mate fancied going to Rome for the derby, unfortunately he had to pull out as he couldn’t afford the balance so I went on my own, although there were about ten others picked up in a minibus at the airport. Everyone seemed to be staying at different places and at one particularly swanky hotel there were loads of girls waiting, and since Take That were in town we made out we were them for a laugh by covering our faces, we had however underestimated the sheer intensity these girls had and they began screaming hysterically and banging on the side of the bus, sounds great but it was quite scary and we were glad to get out of there. The game itself was great too in an intense atmosphere as you might imagine and someone had taken the time the make a banner saying’ Paul Gascogne is Big Poofter’, Lazio took the points with goals from Casiraghi(30) and a Signori penalty(71), after which Gascoigne came on for him for the last 15 minutes of the game, I was watching out for people on scooters stabbing others in the arse which is apparently a Roman speciality but managed to get back to the hotel safe and sound, quite an experience all told.584DA09B-F5A5-493F-A2EE-89D1F78DFB22.jpeg

willesden

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Scarborough Athletic, Hull City & Hendon
1977: Scarborough 0 South Liverpool 1 Northern Premier League (att: 1,310)

Boro received a jolt between their two Trophy semi-final replays against Altrincham.

1983: Hull City 1 Crewe Alexandra 0 Division Four (att: 7,401)

City chairman Don Robinson had already arranged for a group of fans whose programmes he’s signed at the previous home game to be given a tour and free tickets in one of his many PR masterstrokes. After trouble away at York City he grabbed the opportunity for another.

We were well looked after before the match but before kick-off as the teams warmed up, we were sent round the edge of the pitch with a large blanket for people to make donations to be given to York. A lovely touch apart from those carrying the blanket were randomly pelted. The chairman told me to hang back after the game on hearing I was from Scarborough and gave me a lift, even getting his chauffeur to stop and get us a sports paper on route.

1984: Hull City 5 Rotherham United 0 Division Three (att: 9,799)

Tigers go nap on Easter Monday putting five past highly rated young keeper Bobby Mimms.

1988: Cardiff City 2 Scarborough 0 Division Four (att: 5,751)

The Bob Bank Apr 88.png

A long ride straight from morning postie round with our driver again in contention for a place with Mercedes. There was about fifteen in the whole away Grange End and three of them were Cardiff fans looking for a fight as the supporters coach broke down and arrived twenty minutes from time. City kindly charged them full price.

I can only guess it was the relief of getting away without physical damage and tiredness that caused me to get so drunk on our usual stop off in Shepshed. Apparently, I was struggling to stand up but beat allcomers on the pool table to the astonishment of the locals. My condition was so bad that I was put in the boot most of the way back to save my fellow passengers from stains. I happily went straight to bed leaving my sixteen year old brother to explain what had happened to our parents. I suffered badly the following day.

1991: York City 2 Scarborough 0 Division Four (att: 3,017)

A Tuesday evening defeat to end any play-off hopes in a disappointing performance against an impressive John McCarthy inspired City.

1994: Doncaster Rovers 0 Scarborough 4 Division Three (att: 1,854)

s-l500.jpg

A day out still talked fondly about by those on our minibus. It had the lot. An arrest before departure before bailing the “culprit” out. Police surveillance. Great pub stops at Thorne and York with hilarious capers and a brilliant Boro performance with goals from Mark Calvert, Shaun Murray, Craig Whittington and Steve Charles. Great away fan atmosphere too.

I’d run the minibuses all season in a prudent fashion, making a small profit some weeks. Travel for this game was just £3 each making me rather popular among fellow passengers.

2013: Thamesmead Town 2 Charlton Athletic 3 after extra time Kent Senior Cup Semi Final (att: 212)

prog.jpg

A Tuesday night ride by public transport and a good cup tie. The excellent Joe Pigott put the Valiants 1-0 up from the spot with Harry Gerard doubling the lead. Suddenly from nowhere Thamesmead got a lease of life towards the end as Stuart Zanone volleyed home. Chris Edwards equalised with a penalty.

The dissent shown by Charlton coach Nathan Jones and some of his players, Dillon Phillips in particular was shocking. I was informed that it was strongly rumoured that for Athletic to play in the competition they insisted that none of their players could be shown a card. The home side were on top until Piggott got the winner. A kind Athletic fan who I’d got chatting to gave me a ride back to Abbey Wood station. A good night out.

2018: Wealdstone 3 East Thurrock United 0

wfc1.jpg

A rearranged Monday night game as the Stones put on a fine performance with goals from Bradley Bubb, Ricky Wellard and Jeffrey Monakana. The atmosphere not one I enjoyed. A large group of fuelled up youths deciding St Georges Day at football was a fitting time for xenophobic nationalistic songs. Not for me.

2019: Tottenham Hotspur 1 Brighton & Hove Albion 0 Premier League (att: 56,251)

s-l1600.png

I couldn’t go to top level football every week, but I really enjoy an occasional visit, and I definitely loved the new White Hart Lane. I managed to get a spare ticket from a pal after spending the afternoon at Surrey v Essex.

Fantastic facilities, good company and for a neutral an intriguing game as Albion defended resolutely to frustrate Spurs before Christian Eriksen scored in stoppage time. Enjoyable reasonably priced beers on the concourses afterwards in good surroundings.

Pawn Of Prophecy

Youth Team Star

Conference South

Staines Town 0 Dover Athletic 2

Attendance - 321

DA goals from May on 53 and Thomson on 90.

Ellisref

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Wrexham and a general look out for some of the friendly teams I've been observing at around the country.
1974 - Allegro United v Victoria Park (Bournemouth Junior 2) continuing my outfield run in the first team with a 3-0 win.
1975 - College Hall II v Villiers Hall II (Inter Hall 2) - referee, a backlog of games with this one being played on a Wednesday afternoon.
1978 - An unusual day, to start, a mixed double header - Grove v Gowan United followed by Grove v Academicals (Sportsmans 9) - referee, my first experience of Wormwood Scrubs (pitches, not prison). followed by: Islington Referees v Cypriot League Managers, scored two in a 5-2 win, played at Coppermill Lane.

1985 - Hayes v Hitchin (Isthmian Premier) - linesman.
1986 - RNAY Fleetlands v MOD Liverpool (Richard Way Cup Final) - referee, sports job kicking in with plenty of requests from other CS departments to referee for them.
1987 - Barnet v Leyton Orient Res (Capital) - linesman.
1988 - Wembley v Walthamstow Avenue (Isthmian 1) - linesman.

1991 - Inland Revenue v Nottsborough (SOL Senior 2) played in goal on the main pitch at CS Chiswick on a Tuesday evening, lost 1-2. This might have been the very first season of the subsequently successful AFA side.

1994 - Hamworthy Engineering v Portland United (Dorset Combination) - referee.
1995 - Corfe Mullen RBL v Devomet (Dorset Sunday 3 N&E) - referee.
2006 - Parkstone New Star v The Dorothy Inn (Dorset Sunday Intermediate Cup Final) - referee. The away side were losing heavily when their keeper decided to handle the ball outside the penalty area. Cue much surprise when I pulled out a yellow! Played at the County Ground, I think it completed my set of all four County Sunday Finals.

2008 - Bournemouth University v Brockenhurst College - referee, at Chapel Gate.
2011 - Hamworthy United v Brading Town (Wessex Premier) - observer.
2013 - Harry's Bar v Branksome Railway (Bournemouth Sunday Premier) - referee, a Tuesday evening in Wareham.
2016 - Downton v East Cowes Victoria (Wessex 1) - observer, att. 31.

norwich6

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
football in Norfolk
Tuesday 23rd April 1996
Kent County League Premier Division Kick Off 1830
Stansfeld Oxford and Bermondsey v AFC Egerton at 35 Marvels Lane Grove Park
Score 3-6 half time 1-3 Attendance around 40 Free and Nothing

Train to Grove Park from Central London straight after work and then a short walk to the ground.
A game that started slowly but turned out to be a game of many chances and nine goals.
Egerton led following a fine through ball Stansfeld then made it 1-1. but by half time
Egerton 3-1 ahead. After the restart Egerton on top but Stansfeld broke away to make it 2-3.
Egerton though went 5-2 up thanks to two goalkeeping errors. Stansfeld made it 3-5 but
Egerton scored the final goal.
A game that provided some good entertainment and could have easily finished 6-9.

Match was played on a partly roped pitch with no cover in the grounds of the old Grove Park hospital.
The hospital had originally been a workhouse before becoming a hospital, the hospital closed
in 1994 and housing has been built on much of the grounds.. Not sure if there any football pitches
still on the site. Stansfeld I believe now play at Foxbury Avenue in Chiselhurst.

Belushi

Youth Team Regular
Team{s}
Coventry City
1974 - Allegro United v Victoria Park (Bournemouth Junior 2) continuing my outfield run in the first team with a 3-0 win.
1975 - College Hall II v Villiers Hall II (Inter Hall 2) - referee, a backlog of games with this one being played on a Wednesday afternoon.
1978 - An unusual day, to start, a mixed double header - Grove v Gowan United followed by Grove v Academicals (Sportsmans 9) - referee, my first experience of Wormwood Scrubs (pitches, not prison). followed by: Islington Referees v Cypriot League Managers, scored two in a 5-2 win, played at Coppermill Lane.

1985 - Hayes v Hitchin (Isthmian Premier) - linesman.
1986 - RNAY Fleetlands v MOD Liverpool (Richard Way Cup Final) - referee, sports job kicking in with plenty of requests from other CS departments to referee for them.
1987 - Barnet v Leyton Orient Res (Capital) - linesman.
1988 - Wembley v Walthamstow Avenue (Isthmian 1) - linesman.

1991 - Inland Revenue v Nottsborough (SOL Senior 2) played in goal on the main pitch at CS Chiswick on a Tuesday evening, lost 1-2. This might have been the very first season of the subsequently successful AFA side.

1994 - Hamworthy Engineering v Portland United (Dorset Combination) - referee.
1995 - Corfe Mullen RBL v Devomet (Dorset Sunday 3 N&E) - referee.
2006 - Parkstone New Star v The Dorothy Inn (Dorset Sunday Intermediate Cup Final) - referee. The away side were losing heavily when their keeper decided to handle the ball outside the penalty area. Cue much surprise when I pulled out a yellow! Played at the County Ground, I think it completed my set of all four County Sunday Finals.

2008 - Bournemouth University v Brockenhurst College - referee, at Chapel Gate.
2011 - Hamworthy United v Brading Town (Wessex Premier) - observer.
2013 - Harry's Bar v Branksome Railway (Bournemouth Sunday Premier) - referee, a Tuesday evening in Wareham.
2016 - Downton v East Cowes Victoria (Wessex 1) - observer, att. 31.
You're the only person who ever mentions a team that I played for, and I only played for one, Villers Hall II.
And I only played for them twice, back in 1974. Thanks.

NeilH

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Cambridge City
1983 Cambridge City 1 Crawley Town 0
1986 Cambridge City 1 Burnham & Hillingdon 0
1991 Burton Albion 1 Cambridge City 0
2002 Cambridge City 2 Hednesford Town 0
2011 Chippenham Town 1 Cambridge City 0
2016 Cambridge City 1 Poole Town 2
2018 Cambridge City 0 Barton Rovers 1

all Southern League

1984 Grimsby Town 0 Cambridge United 0
Division 2

Went on the train with one of United's "Inter-City Trickle", my good friend Michael Franklin. Think there were about 10 United fans in the away end and this draw was a 'celebration' as United set the record for the longest run without a win in the league, 31 games.

1988 West Ham United 1 Coventry City 1
Division 1

My only trip to Upton Park, went with a couple of lads I played Sunday League with who were very keen Hammers.

1989 Cambridge City 4 Dennis Waterman XI 6

Charity Match

City fielded a very strong XI with keeper Kevin Murray playing in midfield and centre half Steve Gawthrop going in goal.

1995 Tankard United 0 Cambridge Cosmos 5

Cambridge & District Sunday League Division 1B

Came on as sub for this one for Cosmos, played at Melbourn Recreation Ground near Royston.

1996 S&L Corby 4 Cogenhoe United 6

United Counties League - League Cup Final 2nd leg

I worked with Roger Walker for a number of years who was (still is?) a United Counties League official. Think we travelled here straight from our office in Huntingdon.

2015 Lakenheath 2 Great Shelford 3
2019 Comberton United reserves 6 Over Sports reserves 0

both Cambs League

Cowden Andy

Youth Team Star
1974, Tuesday

Scottish League Division One
Hibernian v Arbroath, 2-1, H.T. 0-0, Att 6788
At Easter Road

The Red Lichties were in the top division in the early 1970s and earned a reputation as a hard team to beat. They focussed on a small squad of players, astute management by Bert Henderson, and a never say die attitude. In fact, substitute in Dick Campbell for Bert Henderson, and Championship for top flight, and you could say the same about the present day Lichties.

Hibs had chased Celtic all the way for the title in 1973/4 but by now their cause was hopeless. Celtic had opened a gap and the priority for Hibs was to secure the points necessary for UEFA Cup qualification.

Hibs: Jim McArthur, Des Bremner, Erich Schaedler, Pat Stanton, Derek Spalding, John Blackley, Alex Edwards, Joe Harper, Alan Gordon, Alex Cropley and Arthur Duncan. Subs Jimmy O’Rourke and Bobby Smith
Arbroath: Gordon Marshall, Jimmy Milne, Gordon Buchan, Tom Cargill, Joe Carson, Cammy Murray, Eric Sellars, Jimmy Cant, John Fletcher, Derek Rylance and Tommy Walker. Subs Kenny Payne and Allan McKenzie.
Ref: Hugh Alexander (Kilmarnock)

Arbroath had a couple of players whom I really admired. Striker John Fletcher, distinctive with his shock of fair hair, was really too good for Arbroath. He had a decent job outside football and was reluctant to go full time – and Arbroath paid decent part time wages. He was based in Newcastle, only joining up with his team mates on matchdays. Their other star was Tommy Walker. He was an Arbroath lad who had started out with the club then moved to Airdrie. He was back at Arbroath on a season-long loan whilst studying at Dundee University. He could play almost anywhere – full back or midfield were his best positions. His passing was sublime and he had the vision to see opportunities that lesser players couldn’t.

Arbroath’s mission that night was to get a draw. They were in 10th position, safe from the threat of relegation, but that didn’t alter Bert Henderson’s approach. Every point meant pools money for the club and a single point from a visit to easter Road would be a decent return.

They almost got it. For 80 minutes Hibs banged on the door but couldn’t unlock the Arbroath defence. The opening goal, when it came, was bizarre. Arthur Duncan appeared to deliberately run into Tommy Walker but the ref awarded an indirect free kick for obstruction. Edwards passed the ball to Bremner who fired in a low shot that ex-Hibs goalie Marshall saw late and couldn’t field.

Arbroath were level less than a minute later. Jim Cant’s effort took a wicked deflection and wrongfooted Jim McArthur. But almost straight from the centre Hibs scored again – Joe Harper holding off the challenge of an Arbroath defender before sliding a precise shot into the net. Three goals in three minutes.

Hibs ultimately secured second place in the League, a point ahead of third-placed Rangers. It was significant as only the top two were guaranteed European football – a place also went to the League Cup winners. That went to Dundee, who finished fifth. Rangers had to be content with a place in the Texaco Cup. Oh dear how sad.

View attachment 11974View attachment 11976
View attachment 11977View attachment 11979
Didn’t Jimmy Cant later become a director there?

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks