Amateur to professional in Essex

Paul

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Man city
Does anyone happen to know who were the first couple of clubs in Essex to turn professional, and when? Thanks

DonQuixote

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Romford [el revolución]
Everton [el revolución2]
@brentwoodSunLge
Probably Colchester United and Southend United.

If you are talking 'Metropolitan' Essex then West Ham and Leyton Orient
could be thrown into the mix too I presume?

New Forest

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Leyton, Matllock Swifts, Leyton Wingate, Leyton Pennant, Waltham Forest and Walthamstow
Way out on Colchester they turned professional in 1937. Clapton Orient were in Middlesex until 1930.

The first has to be Thames Ironworks in 1898, now West Ham United. Leyton in 1905 and Southend United in 1906. The Thames in 1928.

DonQuixote

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Romford [el revolución]
Everton [el revolución2]
@brentwoodSunLge
Thought that re Colchester when I posted....doh.

But again the others mentioned are part of Metro Essex and not the county as such.

Is the Leyton you mention that of Hare and Hounds fame?

County boundaries around London have always been a 'mare to work out.

New Forest

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Leyton, Matllock Swifts, Leyton Wingate, Leyton Pennant, Waltham Forest and Walthamstow
Where London ended and when Essex began was a problem even before 1965. Technically there's no such place as Middlesex!

Leyton did indeed once play at the Hare & Hounds. The ground is still there not used and being left to rot. I wonder why?

Bigaitch

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
None in particular
Where London ended and when Essex began was a problem even before 1965. Technically there's no such place as Middlesex!

Leyton did indeed once play at the Hare & Hounds. The ground is still there not used and being left to rot. I wonder why?
The ground is owned i believe by someone who has no interest in football.

New Forest

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
The Hare & Hounds Ground, now trading as Wingate Stadium, is covered by a covenant which allows it to be only used for sporting activities. Some of the directors do have, or used to have, an interest in football. It would involve a considerable expenses to bring this ground back up to an acceptable standard. There lies the problem. The ground itself is valuable, but it could give access to the allotments, which would make it extremely interesting to any property developers.

Paul

Ball Boy / Girl
Team{s}
Man city
Thanks for the replies. Was trying to construct a timeline of clubs turning professional in the Eastern Counties. But maybe defining Eastern Counties is a minefield too!

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks