Ads

BlackDouglas

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, The Rangers, Rochdale, QotS.
I've been getting this over the last few days? Anyone got any ideas? See attachment.

Attachments

Aswani

Junior Team Sub
Whatever you do, please don't open or save it.

It appears to be the latest way hackers have found to put a file on your device (laptop or mobile) and cause all sorts of mayhem.

If you have saved it, delete it sharpish.

SteveW

Site Admin
Staff member
If there is a rogue advert in the ad inventory then it will not be just this site that is affected.

They are normally taken down pretty quickly.

Scotty BUFC

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Boston United
Whatever you do, please don't open or save it.

It appears to be the latest way hackers have found to put a file on your device (laptop or mobile) and cause all sorts of mayhem.

If you have saved it, delete it sharpish.
It's a text file, not really much damage that can be done with that.

It's just dodgy code on one of the Google Ads, I've had it from NewsNow as well.

BlackDouglas

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Cheers, as a text file I knew it was fairly benign I was just wondering why it was happening.

Chris1963

Reserve Team Regular
Team{s}
Oxford United / groundhopper
And beware of free computer games. A few months ago, there was a lot of legitimate publicity saying you could download the original Grand Theft Auto (not any of its sequels) for free, so I did that. Not only didn't it work very well, it is still causing minor problems with my computer and I can't get rid of it. The only safe computer games to download are those which have to be paid for.

BlackDouglas

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
And beware of free computer games. A few months ago, there was a lot of legitimate publicity saying you could download the original Grand Theft Auto (not any of its sequels) for free, so I did that. Not only didn't it work very well, it is still causing minor problems with my computer and I can't get rid of it. The only safe computer games to download are those which have to be paid for.
The only free computer game I have downloaded is Championship Manager 3 01/02. Works great!

Scotty BUFC

Youth Team Sub
Team{s}
Boston United
Did you know that gullible has been removed from the dictionary?

If an offer seems to good to be true, it probably isn't true. The only times you'll get a full game for free is an offer from the publishers, via a platform such as Steam or Origin, or if a game is so old they just release it as freeware.

Mr. T

Youth Team Sub
I'm constantly being 'squeezed' – F5 usually fixes it.

NLM.jpg

Dave 56

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Leatherhead
Samsung are surrounding the whole screen with ads, theirs and others total EIGHT. I think the Samsung ones are causing the problem.

Mr.T sent you a screen shot, in his Amazon ads are causing the problem.

SteveW

Site Admin
Staff member
I'm trying to replicate this for the past 15 minutes with constant reloads but haven't managed to.

There are not 8 ads. There are 4. One at the top, 2 on the right hand side, 1 at the bottom.

I think the Ad ppl are feeding a site surround tag into one of the spaces, but when I see it it literally surrounds the content and doesn't affect it at all.

If you are having problems and could post Browser specs I can hopefully narrow it down for the Ad gurus after the weekend

Cheers... Steve

Dave 56

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Leatherhead
I'm trying to replicate this for the past 15 minutes with constant reloads but haven't managed to.

There are not 8 ads. There are 4. One at the top, 2 on the right hand side, 1 at the bottom.

I think the Ad ppl are feeding a site surround tag into one of the spaces, but when I see it it literally surrounds the content and doesn't affect it at all.

If you are having problems and could post Browser specs I can hopefully narrow it down for the Ad gurus after the weekend

Cheers... Steve
Steve,

It seems to have settled down now and returned to normal. I can count and there were EIGHT ads at one stage, five of them Samsung and all different. Three others, the usual two on the right hand side and the "4th" at the bottom.

SteveW

Site Admin
Staff member
Well all I can tell you is that there are 4 ad spaces. I added the code there myself. I'm the only one that has access to server side site code.

Might be worth you running a system scan for malware.

Dave 56

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
Leatherhead
Hi Steve, There are currently 3 different Samsung ads, one is running a video, also one for Dell, one for Lexus and the one at the bottom, making the total 6. I understand that you are counting Samsung as one add but because it is also down the left hand size I think that is what is causing the squeeze.

Attachments

The Gasworks End

Junior Team Hopeful
Team{s}
Whitstable Town
Southampton
Think its definitely the samsung add that causes the issue where the menu is squeezed. I get this on firefox but only on the first menu, once ive clicked on a particular thread its ok. I dont get any issue when on my smart phone so will just use that to view the forum from now on.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks