27th to 29th August Iceland

stephen500

Junior Team Sub
Right we have booked flights and hotels and as things stand (Sunday 18th July 2021) we on;y have to have had our two jabs and our vaccination certificate to show as we board our flight to Iceland. Yes, a bit of a pain doing a PCR test in Iceland and booking a day two covid test for the UK, but that's the way it is.
Any way to the important thing
Ground hopping in Iceland.
I plan to do three grounds, one on the Friday night and two on the Sunday, with my friend aiming to do another on the Saturday.
Friday 27th August the plan is Fylkir v Breidablik at the Fylkisvöllur stadium with a 7:15 pm Ko.
For the Saturday my friends current choice is Fram Reykjavik v Grotta (2nd div)
On Sunday, we plan for two matches.
First for a 5pm KO KR Reykjavik v Leiknir Reykjavik at the KR voullurinn stadium, followed by a short taxi ride to Valur v Stjarnan KO 7:15 pm.
At present Fylkir appears to be the only game that we need to buy tickets on line for.
Each game appears to be around 2000 Kr or around £12.
Any tips for grounds or travel in Iceland much appreciated.
Just fingers crossed it goes ahead. Nearly every thing in on free cancellation.
Paid myself £424 for the hotel and breakfast for four nights.
Flights are around £85 return from Stansted.

Groundhopper 101

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
AFC Totton
I'm hoping to get out there next week! Might go and see KR Reykjavik next Monday. Tickets for league games available on the Stubbar app apparently.

Breidablika are playing in the Europa Conference League next Thursday, but not 100% sure how to get tickets to that game yet!

stephen500

Junior Team Sub
So we have returned. Three of us went. Air fares reasonable £66 out by Easy Jet and £87 back by Fly Play. I would recomend Fly Play, an Icelandic airline, whose seats have massive leg room. worth the little extra cost. We found getting through the airports a breeze and as long as you get all your paper work done propally, you shouldn't have any problem. Hotels are expensive and drink certainly is. My soda and lime iwas cheap, but that is about the only thing that is in Iceland. Expect to pay at least £5 a pint. There are extended happy hours, but it depends what type and quality of beer you like. For a bowl of soup I paid £13 and combined with soda bread with ham, a slice of cake and a soft drink, that came to £41. For buses download the Straeto bus app. You can use that, at 490kr for just over an hour, it saves losing cash as they don't give change. For many grounds within the Capital, you won't need the bus as some are within walking distance from the centre. Right to the games and grounds.
--------
Our First match (Fri 27th August 21) was IR Reykjavik 4-1 . This ground was a 15 mins taxi ride away and cost us about 2000 kr each, 6000pilt between 3, as we were pushed for time, but after the match it is a short walk into town and the bus ride is cheap and easily done. The pitch where now situated has only been used this season as last season they used the pitch right next to the current one. The new one is fenced in and a 3G pitch. There is an old electronic scoreboard and an announcer with music that blares out if and when IR score, The only real thing I remember about the game, is that, I think IR have a player from the North East of England, with an accent you could plainly hear. One of the locals we chatted to, told us that they were in transition and a young team. Overall a nice set up and a decent game. Although it is completly open, so take water proofs as the weather changes every 20 mins. We estimated the attendance at 74 and it was around £8 to get in
----------------------------
My 2nd match (Sat 28th Aug) , (my friends did one before me) as I opted to take the Golden Tour of Iceland (gray line tours £55), was Valur FC 1-2 Stjarnan FC. It took us about 15 to 20 mins to walk there (don't follow Google maps as it is out of date). This stadium had one stand and a basket ball court. £12 to get in and we bought our tickets on Stubbur app. My friend had no problems getting tickets on it, but I just couldn't get mine to work) For Stjarnan Fc this was indeed a smash and grab, and they won the match from 2 set peices. The winner was whipped in by their number 30, a 15 or 16 year old, who a supporter told me was the next up and coming thing and was already in the U23 Icelandic national team, and put into the net by Bryde in the 83rd min. The opposition fans had a drummer and he went through their songs one by one, including "ole's at the wheel (local Icelandic version) and an interesting one called "silver spoon" based on the Icelandic finance minister who is a fan of Stjarnan. One of Valur's players came from England and had played for Aston Villa's U23 squad. Valur didn't deserve to lose, but they did. A nice little stadium.
-------------------------------
My third and final match and my friends 4th was KR Reykjavik 2- 1 Leiknir Reykjavik, was the biggest set up with one main stand and a club house with a bar,(well one hand pump, with one beer!), they also sold the best burger I have had at a match. Back to the ground. Outside before coming in try and get some pictures over the concrete fence, it's worth it.
The first half was 0-0 and I was dreading it remaining so.
But in the 2nd half Matthiasson took the lead for the opposition on 66 mins, with Kristinn Jonsson equalisng for the home side on 71, with a brace to follow just before full time on 87. It was a bit nervy for the last few mins and the home fans were worried that their small chance of european football could fall by the wayside as their chances of league glory had already gone. I asked what the KR fans were singing and the reply was "KR" although with their accents, we couldn't make that out. It rained all the time, so the stand certainly stopped us from being drenched. Altough I wasn't bothered as whilst watching the match, with KR in a Juventus kit and the opposition in a Barcelona look alike kit, Man Utd scored whilst listening to BBC Radio 5 and took all 3 points at Wolves, some how. A nice ground and it was good bye to Iceland.
Cont for pictures... 1/3

Attachments

• IR 1.jpg
    IR 1.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IR 1a.jpg
    IR 1a.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 4
  • ir 2.jpg
    ir 2.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Ir 3.jpg
    Ir 3.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Ir 4.jpg
    Ir 4.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Ir 5.jpg
    Ir 5.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Kr 2.jpg
    Kr 2.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 5
  • kr 3.jpg
    kr 3.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 5
  • kr 4.jpg
    kr 4.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Kr 5.jpg
    Kr 5.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

stephen500

Junior Team Sub
2/3 Iceland cont...

Attachments

• kr 8.jpg
    kr 8.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 3
  • Kr 9.jpg
    Kr 9.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Kr6.jpg
    Kr6.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Kr7.jpg
    Kr7.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 3

stephen500

Junior Team Sub
3/3 Iceland photos

Attachments

• Va 1.jpg
    Va 1.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 4
  • va2.jpg
    va2.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 3
  • va3.jpg
    va3.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 3
  • va4.jpg
    va4.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 4
  • va5.jpg
    va5.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 4

Hoddy1.

First Team Regular
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.
The only real thing I remember about the game, is that, I think IR have a player from the North East of England, with an accent you could plainly hear.
=============================================
He's played 2 games for England U 20's.

----------------------------
For Stjarnan Fc this was indeed a smash and grab, and they won the match from 2 set peices. The winner was whipped in by their number 30, a 15 or 16 year old, who a supporter told me was the next up and coming thing and was already in the U23 Icelandic national team,

17 years / 6 months & 21 days old when you saw him.

-----------------------------------------------

Altough I wasn't bothered as whilst watching the match, with KR in a Juventus kit and the opposition in a Barcelona look alike kit, Man Utd scored whilst listening to BBC Radio 5.
---------------------------------------------
Expert.

johnr

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
NUFC (retired)

Altough I wasn't bothered as whilst watching the match, with KR in a Juventus kit and the opposition in a Barcelona look alike kit, Man Utd scored whilst listening to BBC Radio 5.
Expert.
Rees Greenwood

Hoddy1.

First Team Regular
Team{s}
Crewe Alexandra.
England.

Karb

Reserve Team Sub
Team{s}
Sunderland AFC,
Keighley Cougars RLFC
Rees Greenwood
Ex Sunderland youngster - made one Premier League appearance, on the last day of the 2015-16 season, and played a few games in the Football League Trophy for our U21s/U23s before drifting into non-league

stephen500

Junior Team Sub

Expert.
Just another fan, told me he was 15 or 16, so I went off his informantion. Good player

stephen500

Junior Team Sub
I'm hoping to get out there next week! Might go and see KR Reykjavik next Monday. Tickets for league games available on the Stubbar app apparently.

Breidablika are playing in the Europa Conference League next Thursday, but not 100% sure how to get tickets to that game yet!
Again. I hope you enjoy it again. I loved the visit.

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks