2021 Rugby League Challenge Cup

Stoodley Pike

Reserve Team Regular
The 2021 Challenge cup will start in early March, but without amateur clubs because of ongoing Covid-19 complications, the Rugby Football League has confirmed.

League One sides, plus Newcastle, Oldham, Whitehaven and Dewsbury, will kick off round one, drawn on 4 January.

Ten remaining Championship sides arrive in round two, while 12 Super League clubs form the last 16 in round four.

The final is at Wembley on Saturday, July 17, with the semi-finals in June.

BBC Sport has already confirmed a new deal to show men's, women's and wheelchair finals across its platforms until 2024.

Championship side Toulouse Olympique will not compete in the competition.

In addition, the four Championship or League One clubs to reach the last 16 of the competition with the entry of the 12 top flight teams, will also qualify for the semi-finals of the 1895 Cup.

That final, last won by Sheffield Eagles in 2019, will take place on Challenge Cup final day, as an anticipated precursor.

Credit: bbc.co.uk

Tykeoldboy

Youth Team Star
Team{s}
Doncaster Rovers
Everton
Seven League 1 sides have now withdrawn from this seasons challenge cup.
Coventry Bears
Doncaster
Hunslet
London Skolars
Newcastle Thunder
North Wales Crusaders
Rochdale Hornets
Workington Town

jimmythecuckoo

Junior Team Sub
Team{s}
Weymouth
Yaxley
Catalans Dragons (RL)
Boston Buccaneers (RL)
The early rounds were the highlight last year.

Sherwood Wolf Hunt getting through a round was brilliant and I enjoyed the games on OuRLeague.

SimonUpNorth

Junior Team Star
Team{s}
North West non-league
I don't see why there's a dig at the BBC in the quote from Rochdale Hornets chairman (unless it isn't meant to be, but it read that way to me) - were BBC meant to show early games but now aren't so no match broadcast due to that?

When contacted by League Express, Hornets Chairman Andy Mazey admitted his board of directors were “angry” with the sequence of events.

He added: “At a time when clubs are trying to survive and adhere to stringent testing, the governing body seems to think it’s appropriate to pull funding in the sport’s key competition.

“The BBC would be proud I’m sure.

“There’s been a complete disregard to the clubs and the players they are supposed to represent.”

Stoodley Pike

Reserve Team Regular
From 5pm today (11/2), BBC Sport will stream the first round draw. It features 16 clubs - 13 from the Championship and three from League One. Ties are scheduled for March 20-21.

Stoodley Pike

Reserve Team Regular
First round draw

London Broncos v Keighley Cougars
Whitehaven v Dewsbury Rams
Oldham v Barrow Raiders
West Wales Raiders v Widnes Vikings
Swinton Lions v Newcastle Thunder
Halifax Panthers v Batley Bulldogs
Sheffield Eagles v York City Knights
Featherstone Rovers v Bradford Bulls

Ties to be played March 20-21

Second round draw

Swinton or Newcastle v Oldham or Barrow
Featherstone or Bradford v Halifax or Batley
London or Keighley v Sheffield or York
West Wales or Widnes v Whitehaven or Dewsbury

Ties to be played March 27-28

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

Polite request!

NLM relies on advertising to pay the bills to stay online . Could I ask that you disable your AdBlocker for this site. Alternatively if you are a registered user you can remove all ads and get other benefits for as little as £1.50 a month. Just go to your Profile and click on Account Upgrades. Most visitors will see this message only once per visit...... Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks