Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Ground Hopping & Programmes: General:
Standing on grass banks

northstandexile
First Team Star

Dec 1, 2019, 7:55 AM

Team(s): Mansfield Town

Post #1 of 8 (888 views)
Shortcut
Standing on grass banks Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not sure if this is the right section to post this, but watching the Tv coverage of FACup game at Maldon&Tiptree there seemed to be an awful lot of people watching from the grass bank areas. I thought this was not allowed anymore.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 1, 2019, 9:25 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #2 of 8 (847 views)
Shortcut
Re: [northstandexile] Standing on grass banks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I doubt they would be allowed to progress much further up the pyramid with that in use but yes it did look strange watching a live game on TV with people standing on a grass bank. Brought back memories of Harlow Town in the same competition in 1980 with about 1000 Leicester fans slipping and sliding on the bank. It got worse as the night progressed and not a drop of rain fell!Sly

BDA_85
First Team Star

Dec 1, 2019, 8:19 PM

Post #3 of 8 (716 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Standing on grass banks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Different sport but Ampthill RUFC have more standing on grass banks than they have seats. They now play in the championship and can't see them being allowed in the Prem with their current setup.

krffji
Youth Team Star

Dec 1, 2019, 8:40 PM

Team(s): Colchester United

Post #4 of 8 (707 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Standing on grass banks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

They're not supposed to and there is at least an odd sign to that effect but look like no one worried about enforcing it.

Always researching Colchester's amateur town clubs "Before the U's" including identifying and compiling brief biogs of all first team players.
Joint author of Colchester United's Who's Who -(Breedon Books 2008).
Colchester United youth team programme editor 2001 - 2017
Colchester United Essex Senior Cup programme editor 2008 - 2018

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 1, 2019, 9:09 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #5 of 8 (688 views)
Shortcut
Re: [krffji] Standing on grass banks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Near the end of the game, I saw two police officers standing on the grass bank! Earlier on, the TV cameras had shown a close-up of the sign you referred to, which said "please keep off the grass"

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 1, 2019, 9:51 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #6 of 8 (659 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Standing on grass banks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Was that in the smoking area ?

aiwa
Reserve Team Regular

Dec 3, 2019, 8:03 PM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 8 (258 views)
Shortcut
Re: [northstandexile] Standing on grass banks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You should have seen the Linlithgow v Falkirk Scottish Cup game, with hundreds of Falkirk fans perched on a fairly steep grass bank behind the goal.

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Star

Dec 3, 2019, 8:14 PM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #8 of 8 (251 views)
Shortcut

I was at the Maldon & Tiptree game and there were a significant number on the grass banks that flanked the grandstand.
In my opinion, it was probably a good job those folk sought those areas as vantage points as the rest of the ground felt pretty packed. Other than the visitors section (The sane side as the cameras), I donít know if everyone would have fitted in comfortably, yet, the attendance was around 1000 shirt of the stated capacity.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3