Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Saturday 30 November 2019

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Nov 30, 2019, 5:32 PM

Post #1 of 64 (6877 views)
Shortcut
Saturday 30 November 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

NARBERTH 0 MERLINS BRIDGE 8

Pembrokeshire League
@ Jesse Road
Attendance 133
No programmes or admission charge

Narberth scored eight times in their last home game and we got eight again - except it was Merlins Bridge who ran riot. The first half an hour was goal-less until the floodgates opened. The home defence seemed to just crumble after the break with the visitors scoring freely.
With the adjoining second pitch having been sold and tall soulless houses erected the easterly wind seemed to be caught in a bowl which made for wind assisted goals in at least five cases.
However, the result is typical of this league. Next week could well be totally different with high scores from those who have conceded many this time around.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Nov 30, 2019, 5:45 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #2 of 64 (6867 views)
Shortcut
Re: [R.S.Cavendish] Saturday 30 November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

MFL 1.
Leicester Road 2 Rocester 1.
Three more points in the bag for the ultimate aim of the Knitters (37/39 points taken in last 13 games ) but not much else as this was a pretty poor show and even after taking a two goal lead through Alcott and Langham Rocester never chucked in the towel like many have this season and could well have left with a point. Nice to see occasional poster Roman again, was going to bring up Arsenal but thought better of it!!

(This post was edited by kirby knitters on Nov 30, 2019, 6:44 PM)

gcnc
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 30, 2019, 6:29 PM

Team(s): Newport County

Post #3 of 64 (6792 views)
Shortcut
Re: [R.S.Cavendish] Saturday 30 November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FAW Trophy Round 4
Clydach Wasps 1 Risca United 3
Free Admission, Programme (20 pages) £1, Attendance h/c 42

The postponement of two of the fourth round ties last Saturday meant the chance to get to a Trophy tie in this round after all, and with one of them at one of my favourite local grounds it was an easy choice to make this afternoon. Clydach's ground, adjacent to the village hall at the bottom of the scenic Clydach Gorge, is arguably the most scenic in Gwent, and with the surrounding mountains bedecked in their Autumn colours, it looked a picture today.

The visitors from Welsh League Division 1 comfortably reached the last sixteen, where they will now visit Port Talbot Town. But Wasps made it difficult for them, equalising from the penalty spot early in the second half, having conceded after 15 minutes. But they were only level for a few minutes before Risca scored with a penalty themselves and added a third almost immediately.

Unlike my visit to Cwmbran Town in the last round, Wasps fulfilled the competition requirements and produced a programme, a decent effort too, which was available from the clubhouse, where a limited range of refreshments were also on sale. No hot drinks though, which was a shame given the drop in temperature.

noprogs
First Team Star

Nov 30, 2019, 6:35 PM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 64 (6769 views)
Shortcut

Fulwood Amateurs 1 Tempest U 2
West Lancashire league
Programme £2

Alerted to this one following Chris1963's post a fortnight ago, again choosing the 3g card. Facilities are as well described then, with this particular 3g(4?) and changing facilties only being a couple of years old.
Chris's previous attendance must have also alerted John & Duncan from Scotland to visit, whose company was well received.
Decent quality game which followed an odd pattern. Visitors Tempest were the better in the first half, leading after about 30 only to concede a penalty just on the break. Fulwood played much better in the second period but couldn't score and lost to a very late goal, and Tempest held out despite an even later dismissal.

(This post was edited by noprogs on Nov 30, 2019, 6:38 PM)

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Nov 30, 2019, 6:41 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #5 of 64 (6747 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Saturday 30 November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Welsh National Division One. (F&N). Crowd 9.

New Brighton Villa 1 v 4 Llangollen

Today pitted 4th against 3rd, the visitors on the same points as the league leaders, the home side 2 points further back with a game in hand. Railed pitch with dugouts with fences and bushes giving it an enclosed feel. Decent grass bank along the side opposite the dugouts affording an excellent view.

The visitors were always the slightly better side and were 2 goals up in less than 20 minutes, the second a penalty. However Villa pulled one back later in the half to go in just a single goal behind. Llangollen added a couple more without reply to complete a comfortable win with a slightly flattering scoreline.

There is a shortage of referees in this league and the visitors demonstrated why with constant moaning at the official regarding just about everything that happened and there was even a bout of handbags between 2 of their own players as the half time whistle went. The ref did book 3 visitors eventually, all fully justified.

FatCat
Junior Team Star

Nov 30, 2019, 6:47 PM

Team(s): Witham Town, Rochdale & West Ham United

Post #6 of 64 (6724 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Saturday 30 November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cressing United 5-2 Boxted Lodgers (HT: 2-0)
Essex & Suffolk Border League Division 1 (Step 8)

Admission: Free
Programme: No
Attendance: 10 h/c

This was my second visit this season to Cressing’s Pavilion ground.
It’s your usual park pitch for this level but they do have a nice clubhouse.

Before kick off, Cressing could have gone top with a win today (and indeed they did), whilst Boxted had only won once so far this season, losing all eight of their away games, conceding 62 goals in the process.
Boxted also brought no substitutes with them today, only a bare 11.

The first half went to form with Cressing taking a two goal lead into the break.
However, after the restart Boxted pressed their hosts and got back in the game with a relatively soft goal that the home side should have dealt with.
When they equalised as the half wore on it looked like an upset might be on the cards.
Unfortunately their joy was short lived as only a minute later the home side retook the lead.
Cressing were able to make substitutions and the fresh legs helped them scored twice more before the end to perhaps make the score line a little bit flattering as Boxted acquitted themselves well despite their lowly status.

(This post was edited by FatCat on Nov 30, 2019, 6:49 PM)

Chris1963

Nov 30, 2019, 7:22 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #7 of 64 (6573 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] Saturday 30 November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Fulwood Amateurs 1 Tempest U 2
West Lancashire league
Programme £2

Alerted to this one following Chris1963's post a fortnight ago, again choosing the 3g card. Facilities are as well described then, with this particular 3g(4?) and changing facilties only being a couple of years old.

Glad to have been of help! The weather in Preston today may have been worse (because of the frost) than on my visit.
My own WDYG post will follow later.

Tim

Nov 30, 2019, 8:07 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #8 of 64 (6396 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Saturday 30 November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I intended to go to De Veys this afternoon, but after a spot of technological incompetence I found myself at Southey Park. Considering this to be possible divine intervention, I stayed to watch:

TC Sports 1 Valhalla 2 (Bristol & Suburban League Division 4) Att: 1 h/c f&n

Oh dear. The first half was as bad as anything I can remember. The second half was an improvement, and was merely dreadful. Three goals seemed unlikely, but after a decent strike from the visitors, a penalty apiece were all that could be mustered. Played in good spirit and all the players appeared to enjoy themselves. I didn't.

Southey Park is a dreary bit of grass in New Cheltenham, with a brutalist dressing room painted grey. No football furniture, but nice big grass banks on two sides. I thought it might look better on a nice day, but then the sun came out, and it didn't.

This was my first trip into the nether regions of the Suburban League. It will be a while before I pluck up courage to return. Note to self: there is no such thing as divine intervention.

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 30, 2019, 8:24 PM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #9 of 64 (6321 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Saturday 30 November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Horncastle Town 3 Benington 2, Lincolnshire Junior Cup 3rd Round, Att:65, Admission/Prog: No

Slight indecision first thing due to the weather forecast which suggested fog might intervene but in the end we plumped for our Plan A and it proved to be a good call. From Stoke to just short of Lincoln, visibility was borderline but then we broke through the gloom into glorious sunshine which lasted to the end of the game. The conditions underfoot were perfect save for a small frosty patch in one corner, probably enough to cause problems higher up the foodchain but not at this level. The first half began slowly, the visitors taking the lead through a penalty on 15 minutes and although Horncastle were the better side the equaliser only came just before the break. The second half brought more home side domination and two further goals and a late consolation for Benington was more than they deserved in a very watchable game. Horncastle play at The Wong, an enclosed pitch which is part of the town sports facility, part railed and part roped with a small section of cover attached to a newly built clubhouse and changing room block and an unusual feature in that the dugouts were exactly that - dug down into the ground.

Post match refreshments courtesy of Nick's Old Tavern in Horncastle (Horncastle Brewery) and Fuggle's Chapter One in Worksop (Fuggle Bunny Brewery), several excellent beers tasted.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

(This post was edited by Andy D on Nov 30, 2019, 8:30 PM)

Chris1963

Nov 30, 2019, 8:27 PM

Post #10 of 64 (6310 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Saturday 30 November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Kent County League (Division One West) 2 pm

Metrogas 2 Bexley FC 1 (H/T 2-1)

Entry - Free

Programme - 28 pages for £2 (superb)

Crowd - c. 20-25

My first choice game had been Tring Corinthians v Rayleigh Town in the Feeder Leagues (Anagram Records) Trophy but I did not receive a reply to the e-mail I had sent to the home club's secretary asking whether a programme would be issued and with a pitch inspection being announced on Rayleigh's twitter, I thought it best to give that one a miss. I did not have to look too far for a good alternative though, because Metrogas (who I would have visited on 2nd November had it not been for the heavy overnight rain that morning, which forced me to tick Slough Town instead) had tweeted an image of their programme for this game. Fortunately there was no pitch inspection planned and so I was able to return to a familiar part of South London to watch a familiar football club play.

This was the third time I had attended a Metrogas home game, because I had already seen them play home games at two other grounds. The first was the South-Eastern Gas Board Sports Ground in Horn Lane, Greenwich, for which John Stancombe produced a programme in April 1989, but this ground no longer exists, as the site is now occupied by a retail park. I then saw them play at the Charlton Athletic training ground in Sparrows Lane, Eltham in April 1993 (no programme issued) which was during a period when they had to play home games at borrowed venues. However, they are now at the Metrogas Amateur Sports Association ground in 'The Footway' which is a narrow road off Avery Hill Road, about eight minutes walk from New Eltham station.

The ground where Metrogas currently play is situated on the opposite side of 'The Footway' to the ground I had ticked as long ago as 1989 for a Royal George home game in the London Spartan League, which had another John Stancombe programme issued for it. The ground used by Royal George then, on the west side of 'The Footway' is still extant and there were a couple of football matches being played today on the two grass pitches there. The Metrogas ground is on the other side of 'The Footway' and is on your right if approaching from Avery Hill Road. When I attended the Royal George game in 1989, what is now the Metrogas ground on the other side of 'The Footway' was being used the same evening for a REMA home game in the same league and division as the game I was attending. REMA have long since vanished and although I don't know who owned the ground then, it appears that Metrogas must have either purchased or leased it sometime after 1993 as a replacement for their Horn Lane headquarters.

The ground isn't bad for this level of football. There is an impressive clubhouse with two bars just inside the entrance and an overhang from the roof provides some cover for spectators. Attached to the clubhouse is a more modern brick building that houses the changing rooms. There is a serving hatch in the wall at the far end and it is from here that refreshments and programmes are sold. There are two grass pitches, the one closest to the clubhouse being in use today and it is roped-off with hard standing made of paving stones along half the length of one side. The match was between two sides currently in the front of the promotion race and an entertaining first half saw the score at 1-1 when the home side then missed a 35th minute penalty, although they soon made amends for this by scoring with a header from open play four minutes later. The second half was poor in comparison and became increasingly physical and scrappy as it went on, with a minor brawl occurring seconds after the final whistle. If you did not tick this ground for a REMA home game (or the home game of anyone else who might have played there) then it is worth doing while the club are issuing these excellent programmes.

(This post was edited by Chris1963 on Nov 30, 2019, 8:42 PM)

Dribble!
First Team Sub

Nov 30, 2019, 8:39 PM

Team(s): Ipswich Town

Post #11 of 64 (6245 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Saturday 30 November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tiptree Heath 2 Stanway Pegasus 1
Essex and Suffolk Border League, Premier Division
Tolleshunt Knights Village Hall

Attendance: Free
Programme: Nil
Attendance: 34 h/c

Had to stay close to home today so it was going to be a Step 7 game - and original target was Leiston St Margaret's that was called off so it was south down the A12 to a game in Border League - 2nd v 1st.
Very rural setting, changing rooms at end of a large modern barn that is the village hall ( not open). Pitch roped off on one side and portable dug outs, pitch looked in good condition.

The home team absolutely dominated the first half and displayed some great football with their number 9 catching the eye. They went ahead after 11 minutes, however against the run of play the leaders were back on terms after 32 minutes. then on 35 minutes the home team missed a penalty.

Second half was a much more even contest and it looked like it would stay a draw until after 74 minutes, Stanway were down to 10 men after their centre back was sent off after a foul when it was deemed he was the last man. 3 minutes later Tiptree got the winner and also replaced Stanway at top of the league.

Club officials told me that they are in process of signing a lease with Colchester Council which will see them return to Tiptree with a home on Colchester Road, this will enable them they hope to progress to the Eastern Counties League.

Last New ground; Benhall St Mary, Games in 2019/20 Season; 61, New Grounds this Season; 30, Next scheduled game: Ipswich Town v Coventry City - FAC (10/12/19)
http://portmanroadtothesansiro.blogspot.co.uk/

hotchkiss
First Team Sub

Nov 30, 2019, 8:48 PM

Team(s): wolves,non league

Post #12 of 64 (6200 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Saturday 30 November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

NEWARK TOWN (5) 7 ASKERN (0) 0 ( Abandoned 68 minutes fog ) CML North.Admission £3 / £2.Programme £1.Att: 57.The pitch is next to the new leisure centre and hard standing on all 4 sides but no cover yet.The game started in dense fog and was difficult to see both goals even from the halfway line.Top of the table Newark in complete charge and rattled in 7 goals including 2 penalty's before the referee called it off despite the fog not getting worse .Not sure if the result stands .

Atavistic
Reserve Team Star

Nov 30, 2019, 8:49 PM

Team(s): Norwich City, Yaxley

Post #13 of 64 (6197 views)
Shortcut

Hellenic League Division 1 East
Marlow United 2 Milton United 4 (at Marlow)

Admission: £5, Programme: £1
Attendance: 50 h/c

Both teams went on the attack from the start and the match quickly became end-to-end. Milton just about edged the opening exchanges and should have found themselves in front in the 14th minute: a Louis Bloomfield shot was blocked by a defender and ricocheted to Louis Joyce, who turned and crossed to James Organ - who proceeded to head his effort wide - rather than trying to score himself. Marlow United then came close nine minutes later when a through ball set their number 9 through, only for him to scuff his shot and drag it wide rather than tapping in. From the goal kick that followed, Milton went up the other end and almost took advantage of some defensive uncertainty: the Marlow United defence struggled to clear the ball in their own box and it ended up falling for Joyce, whose shot earned his side a corner.

Though Milton had arguably made the better start and produced the better chances, it was the home side who took the lead in the 28th minute: from a corner, their number 5 scored from a header after his first attempt was blocked. This lead was short-lived, though, as the away side responded immediately by equalising from a free kick: Bloomfield crossed from the edge of the box and Joyce rose highest to head home (he then found himself in the sin bin after a break in play after the kick-off). Chances continued to come after this, but both sides struggled to threaten the opposing keeper. However, this looked likely to change going into the second half as Marlow United found themselves down to ten men, with their number 2 receiving two bookings in as many minutes.

Despite having a numerical disadvantage, the home side started the second half on the front foot and almost regained the lead in the 48th minute: a shot from their number 11 was blocked and number 9 pounced on the rebound, only for his shot to be blocked by a Milton defender. At some point after this, Marlow United had a player sin-binned and the away side ruthlessly took advantage: in the 60th minute, Joyce broke the offside trap and crossed for Jake Steele to tap in; then, in the 63rd minute, the home keeper dropped the ball from a corner and Kieran Strange poked it in. However, Marlow United were given a glimmer of hope from the kick off as they earned a penalty after a handball: their number 9 stepped up and scored.

The combination of this and the return of their sin-binned player really revitalised the home side and they began to attack with confidence despite their numerical disadvantage. However, Milton almost regained their two-goal lead in style in the 67th minute when one of their players attempted an overhead kick from the edge of the box, forcing the Marlow United keeper to tip over for a corner. Marlow United almost equalised in the 72nd minute after their number 11 played a free kick into the box, only for the attacker to head over from close range. Milton then had two counter-attacking chances in quick succession, with Taylor Janes curling a free kick from the edge of the box narrowly wide before Organ wasted a golden chance: he was one-on-one with the keeper after a defender ducked out of a clearance, but he chose to control and shoot rather than hitting it first time, giving the keeper time to make the save.

Going into the final ten minutes, Marlow United made some attacking substitutions as they tried to find an equaliser. This seemed incredibly risky at the time, but a few minutes later it seemed much less so as Milton also found themselves down to ten men, with Strange receiving a second yellow for a late tackle. After this, the home side threw everything they could at the Milton goal, but they seemed unable to find the finish they needed.

This was fortunate for the away side, as they had the space to break on the counter and find a fourth in the 87th minute: Janes received the ball after some neat play on the wing, turned past his defender and shot low from just inside the box to score. Though this was a massive sucker punch for the home side, they didn't give up, but all Milton had to do was remain calm and soak up the pressure. Despite this, they almost scored again with the last kick of the game: substitute Jack Powell shook off a pursuing defender and charged into the box before hitting the post with his low shot.

Overall, this was one of the most entertaining matches I've watched this season, with two sides playing some excellent, high intensity attacking football throughout. Milton United deserved the win for taking their chances when they needed to and for making their numerical advantage count early in the second half, but Marlow United can certainly feel unlucky to not have earned a point; they had the chances for it and never stopped attacking despite having a numerical disadvantage for much of the second half, but they just couldn't get the ball into the net when they needed to.

Also, the referee deserves credit for an excellent performance in the middle: he kept control throughout by laying down the law, using the sin bins and tolerating no nonsense from either side, while still allowing the match to flow as much as possible (and, from his position, he did well to spot the handball for the penalty).

Marlow's ground is a thing of beauty, with the amazing old stand dominating everything. There's also additional areas of cover on the far side and behind the far goal, as well as uncovered terracing everywhere else. The food on offer was excellent as well, despite presumably not being the usual full range of options which would be available at a Marlow match.

Other than the bitter cold, this was a thoroughly enjoyable day out for my 100th groundhop. I also once again bumped into The Don from this forum, and he was kind enough to give me a lift back to the station so that I could make it onto the hourly train back.

2019/20 stats (including Pre-Season):

New Grounds: 19 (Most Recent: Marlow)
Games: 28
Goals: 96
Goals Per Game (to 2 dp): 3.43
0-0s: 1

My Blog: https://thetortoisetravels.blogspot.co.uk/

(This post was edited by Atavistic on Nov 30, 2019, 9:11 PM)

Digdagdog
First Team Star

Nov 30, 2019, 8:49 PM

Team(s): Melksham Town, Bath Rugby, Wigan Warriors and Lancashire CCC

Post #14 of 64 (6196 views)
Shortcut

I always intended to tick Lye Town (having heard so much about it), but Spitfire Dave of these parts tuned me into the fact that the Midland League U21 games all KO at 1030 in these parts, so up at an early hour for a trip to...

Midland Football League U21 West
Tally Ho! WMP Sports Ground
Stourport Swifts U21 1 Worcester City U21 1
F&N Attendance: ~29

Played on the far pitch for those that know the complex, which sits close to Edgbaston cricket and is owned by the West Midlands Police. Anxious due to the frost overnight but tweets confirmed it was on and arrived in good time.
Spirited game made awkward by a bobbly pitch which still had a coating of frost on it. The youngsters struggled at times but sunshine broke through for the second half and made conditions tolerable.
Two evenly matched sides, Swifts won the first half with a well-taken goal on 31 from a cross but probably should have had a couple more. Second half was mostly City; they carved out several chances, one of which was headed in on 59 and deservedly so. A red card for the Swifts on 77 made it a jittery last 10 or so but they held out.
Back to the car and the WM Police were all getting ready to deploy in force in loads of vans (Birmingham v Millwall). Swift drive via a sandwich stop to...

FA Vase R3
Stourbridge Road
Lye Town 0 Walsall Wood 2
Admission: £7 Paper would have been available but problems at the printers Attendance: 115

Ground was every bit as quirky as I had been led to believe; some frosty looking grass on the stand side but playable. Spent the whole game under the barrel roof at the clubhouse end.
Last time I saw Wood they were streaming toward the Midland D1 title and promotion and I said on here that they were the best Step 6 side I'd seen. They were good here again and eased past the hosts without too much trouble. A stab into the net on 31 and a cross swept in on 65 were enough to propel them into R4; Lye huffed and puffed but never really looked close to scoring apart from a couple of half chances. The game was "full on" with both sides charging all over the park; Wood had more control at critical moments and deserved the win.
I had arrived early and so was able to nick a spot in the tiny car park outside the club gates, so a quick getaway at FT and home before 7pm. A good day out and I'll be doing more of these combinations in the future.

2018-19 Games: 166 Goals: 611 GPG: 3.68 New Grounds: 96
2019-20 Games: 93 Goals: 366 GPG: 3.94 New Grounds: 51

(This post was edited by Digdagdog on Dec 1, 2019, 12:21 AM)

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Nov 30, 2019, 8:51 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #15 of 64 (6184 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dribble!] Saturday 30 November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cymru Premier
Penybont 0-0 Connah's Quay Nomads
Adm £7, prog £2

Having stayed overnight in the area South Wales was my oyster today. I'd considered heading either another 25 miles west for my furthest unvisited Cymru South ground, Swansea University, or back into the Valleys for unadulterated groundhopping porn at Garw (one day..) but this game had far more appeal. Not only was it a champagne job on this division but also offered a chance to see Europa League heroes Nomads, sitting proudly on top of the league and also fielding a couple of familiar faces in defender Danny Holmes and evergreen midfielder Danny Harrison, both Tranmere old boys. As it turned out, Holmes lasted less than ten minutes thanks to an injury which put him on crutches, which meant a reshuffle with Harrison slotting effortlessly into the back line.

The first half was dire and, in a chill wind, a chore to watch. Second half at least became mildly interesting as Nomads, who'd dominated possession from start to finish, pushed hard for a winner. They came close a few times but, near the end, striker Wilde did his side no favours by punching the ball when he couldn't quite get his head to it, picking up a second yellow for his efforts though there seemed to be some dispute about whether the ball had already gone out of play. Penybont did have a few moments of their own but always looked happy to cling onto a point - a point which lifts them out of the bottom two after Airbus' capitulation this afternoon.

Bryntirion Park, or the SDM Glass Stadium as it's now called, was comprehensively covered by totallyuntamed on here (see WDYG for Oct 27), which saves me some typing. Functionality possibly outweighs attractiveness here but it is a good facility and one which seems to be serving the community well. Around thirty visitors from North Wales added to the buzz this afternoon.

Pre-match relaxers taken a couple of miles away in the Coach, a fine little brew pub not far from Bridgend town centre. The house brew, Bridgend Pale Ale, and the Bibble from the Wild Beer Co were both spot on, with two other cask ales from Wye Valley also available.

barcud-coch
First Team Star

Nov 30, 2019, 9:14 PM

Post #16 of 64 (6034 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Saturday 30 November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Mardy 2 Cwmffrwdoer Sports 7

Mardy Park: Gwent Central League First Division

This was my first visit to Mardy Park since January of this year when I watched a match prior to heading to the Nathaniel MG Cup final being held at Jenner Park later in the evening. On that occasion, the home club entertained Blaenavon Blues Thirds in a league fixture, which surprisingly finished in a goalless draw despite both teams creating a plethora of goal scoring opportunities during the 90 minutes. Mardy went on to claim promotion from the Gwent Central League Second Division that season and lifted the league’s Benevolent Cup at Abergavenny Town’s Pen-y-Pound Stadium for good measure. The home club have consolidated since gaining promotion to the top echelon of the league in the summer. They came in this afternoon’s match just inside the top-half of the First Division table after having suffered a 2-1 reverse at Blaenavon Blues Reserves in their previous outing a fortnight. Visiting Cwmffrwdoer Sports, just like their hosts, are another club that have dropped out of the Gwent Premier League in recent seasons and now find themselves playing district league football. The Pontypool-based club are enjoying a fine season thus far as they stood at the summit of the First Division table with a 100% record from their opening nine matches. Cwmffrwdoer Sports came into this match after enjoying a 6-2 victory over closest challengers Abergavenny Town Reserves in their previous outing. There had been no changes at Mardy Park since my last visit at the beginning of the year. The pitch is fully-railed and has dugouts on either side of the pitch but there is no spectator cover present, on what is essentially a public park in this suburb of Abergavenny, but still has an enclosed feeling with houses surrounding three sides of the ground.

The league leaders opened the scoring when they headed home from a tenth minute corner before Mardy responded three minutes by striking an upright after the Cwmffrwdoer Sports defence failed to clear a corner from the hosts. The match then saw a slightly quieter period midway through the opening period but the visitors thundered a shot against the crossbar after Mardy failed to deal with a 28th minute corner. Cwmffrwdoer Sports then virtually killed the match as a contest with four goals before the half-time whistle sounded. A visiting forward latch on to a 36th minute through ball before guiding his shot past the Mardy custodian before a similar goal made it 3-0 just six minutes later. If that was not bad enough for the home team, the league leaders then netted two further goals in stoppage time, when a miskicked clearance by the home goalkeeper allowed a Cwmffrwdoer Sports player to nip in and round the Mardy custodian before turning the ball into an unguarded net in the 46th minute. The visitors added a fifth goal to their tally some three minutes later courtesy of a far post header from a corner. Despite appearing to have already lost the match by the interval, the Mardy Park outfit did not give-up hope following the half-time break, pulling a goal back six minutes into the second-half courtesy of a shot on the turn in the penalty area by Callen Gregory. The hosts doubled their own tally just a minute later after some hesitancy in the Cwmffrwdoer Sports defence allowed Matthew Wham to find the net at the far post. However, this was just a brief hiatus in the visitor's superiority and they regained the four-goal advantage in the 63rd minute when a Cwmffrwdoer Sports forward latch on to a long ball from his team's own half of the pitch before rounding the goalkeeper and finding the net. The scoring was completed with a similar goal in the 89th minute when the Mardy custodian was rounded and the leaders maintained their 100% league record this term.

2019/20 Statistics
Goals: 513
Matches: 98
New Grounds: 16

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Nov 30, 2019, 9:16 PM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #17 of 64 (6009 views)
Shortcut

Excellent Cup double today.
1400: Southampton Senior Cup Round 3

Whiteley Wanderers 2 Locks Heath 4 @ Titchfield Rec

admission/programme none, attendance est 40
2nd/9 (100% record) in Southampton Div 1 v 12th/16 in Hampshire Prem Senior
As I said earlier in the season, Whiteley Wanderers very much a team on the up and today they wanted to show their local rivals a league or two above them where they were at. Locks played a full team and had done their homework, double marking WW's dangerous players and being more physical then of late. Nevertheless, only two late goals gave the visitors the win, with the hosts missing two penalties into the bargain. The pitch (moved because their regular pitch at Meadowside was unfit) also didn't suit the home team's passing style.
The hosts took the game to their visitors from the off, playing downhill, and Lobb shot just wide in only the first minute. Locks' Bruce was warned about his choice of language in berating his teammates as a result. There was then an appeal for a penalty, and a shot was then saved by Gardiner. Typically, Locks then went and scored after 9 mins from their first attack. Bath won the ball and keeper Pope was hopelessly out of position as Alford picked it up and curled the ball into the opposite side of the net. Pepall then came close to doubling the lead with a cross which escaped everybody and went just past the far post. WW were playing a high defensive line and a long kick by Gardiner nearly caught then out as Bath was through but Pope just got there to clear. On 17 mins a cross was dropped by Gardiner under pressure and Deveney drove it into the net for the equaliser. Bath then had a shot at the other end, well tipped over by Pope. The match was competitive and exciting, with chances at both ends. Bath shot over after another Locks break, then a defensive error was picked up by Saidy, but he hesitated and his attempt was blocked. On 30 mins Saidy beat his man on the left, the defender then went to ground and fouled him in the area. But Lobb's penalty went over the bar. We then had some handbags as Alford took exception to a naughty-looking foul, but this was soon cleared up with a couple of yellows. In injury time a couple of crosses by the home team were missed with the goal gaping. HT 1-1.
Saidy went from centre-forward to centre-back after the break, and the entertainment continued. WW went into the lead on 54 mins as a corner was glanced on for St.John, unmarked at the far post, to head in. Locks came back a minute later with a wonderful equaliser, with a backheel and then a clever flick setting up Alford to lob the keeper. Pope had to come out quickly to stop Locks taking the lead again, and then on the hour we had controversy as Saidy was robbed of the call by Bath, who was then upended by the keeper as he was getting past him. From our viewpoint it looked to be a penalty and a yellow for the keeper, but the ref gave a free-kick just outside and only a yellow for the keeper, who we thought should have got a red if it was outside the area for preventing a scoring opportunity. It must be said that the ref had a very good game, so we won't argue. The free-kick was blocked. At the other end, Lobb shot just over after the keeper fumbled a shot. On 73 mins Locks took the lead again as Bath put Alford through and he notched his hat-trick (I also saw him score three in the last game I saw Locks play) by beating a poorly-positioned Pope. WW then got another penalty for a block tackle by a visiting defender, but Taylor put the spot-kick wide. This seemed to knock the stuffing out of the home team, who tried to come back again but looked tired, and Bath and sub T.Winterburn both had chances to increase the lead. Finally, on 85 mins, a free-kick was missed by the defence and Bath finished well to wrap up the win. Bath came close again before the end. Despite a gallant effort the hosts fell just short - but they had made their point. I've been to Titchfield Rec many times to watch the home team play in the Meon Valley Sunday League, but the first time I'd seen a Saturday game here. Just off the A27, there is parking and a pavilion, one pitch on a slope surrounded by fields and bushes, a good view of the ruined Titchfield Abbey,and not a lot else.

1730: FA Cup Round 2

Eastleigh 1 Crewe Alexandra 1

admission £15-00, programme £3-00, attendance 1806 (279 away)
10th in National League v 3rd in Division 2
Another good game, with an exciting finish. I'm sure some of you watched it on BT Sport.... From my point of view, the visitors passed the ball round sweetly and could have been well ahead after the first 20 mins, but the home team persisted and eventually came good, with the Alex being under pressure for the last 20 mins, when they could easily have lost.
The hosts seemed overawed at the start and the visitors controlled the game. In only the second minute a Crewe shot was blocked, then soon after a cross from the right was missed by a forward right in front of the net. Home keeper Stryjek was then called into action for the first time, as he pushed a Dale shot round the post. A great cross by the impressive Kirk then saw Dale mess his header up completely in front of goal. The Spitfires woke up and should have scored when a superb cross by Smart on the right was met with a diving header by Hollands, running in, but it went agonisingly wide. A good cross from the left then saw Barnett head over. Boyce also came close with a header from a corner, keeper Jaaskelainnen just grabbing it on the line. Alex then took the lead as Dale beat Stryjek to a corner and headed in. Payne replied for the hosts with a long shot, way over, and at the other end a nice move saw a shot wide. HT 0-1.
After the break the visitors again started the better, with another good cross by Kirk seeing Porter shoot over. A free-kick was then cleared by a defender (Rendall), and a long ball saw Stryjek just reach it before Kirk. The home team again started to get into the game and on the hour there was a big scramble in the visiting box, eventually cleared. Hollands then came close with a header and Payne's long shot was well held by Jaaskelainnen. As the home team pressed, a lot of Crewe players seemed to end up on the floor, which of course slowed the game down. The ref seemed to be sympathetic to their cause. But a good dummy set up Barnett for a shot, saved, and sub Green came up with two great crosses from the left which forwards just failed to connect with. The same for one from the right by Seaman. Another great cross by Green saw a Barnett header force a good save, then Green himself had a go from distance and also forced a good save from Jaaskelainnen. On 86 mins the equaliser came - a corner was touched back by Barnett amidst a scramble, and sub Barnes got the vital touch. The visitors nearly pinched it on 90 mins as on the break, Powell's shot was just clawed out of the corner by Stryjek, then the home team came close in injury time as a poor back pass saw Jaaskelainnen get there just before Barnes. Right at the end Barnett was pulled back by a defender - right on the edge of the area, said the ref - and Seaman's free-kick was just over. Good effort by the home side in the end, against a good Crewe team, whom I expect to get through in the repay, although it might be close.
Good support by the visitors, whose gold shirts (with barely readable numbers) I didn't like - but even worse was the pink/purple hooped goalkeeping shirt Pirate

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on Nov 30, 2019, 11:58 PM)

Karen Browne
First Team Sub

Nov 30, 2019, 9:21 PM

Team(s): Welwyn Garden City

Post #18 of 64 (5987 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
My first choice game had been Tring Corinthians v Rayleigh Town in the Feeder Leagues (Anagram Records) Trophy but I did not receive a reply to the e-mail I had sent to the home club's secretary asking whether a programme would be issued and with a pitch inspection being announced on Rayleigh's twitter, I thought it best to give that one a miss.

For future reference clubs are required to produce a programme as per Anagram rules.

Karen Browne
Spartan South Midlands League
Fixtures Officer

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Nov 30, 2019, 9:25 PM

Team(s): Whoever plays Ipswich Town

Post #19 of 64 (5962 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Karen Browne] Saturday 30 November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

My 1st choice game today at Parkeston Railway Park in the Colchester & East Essex League was postponed this morning so I went to:

Macron Suffolk & Ipswich League Division 3
Occold 2 (64 & 67)
Witnesham Wasps 2 (31 & 92+ pen)
KO: 14:00 Att: 13 h/c Cost: Free Saw no progs

Venue: Hartismere High School, Castleton Way, Eye
There’s a car park inside the entrance along side a caged floodlit artificial pitch but no markings for football. Straight ahead is one of many buildings. This had Olympic posters over the years inside. The playing field is reached down a grass bank with a line of trees. Behind near goal is a rugby pitch going in the other direction. The playing field continues for quite away with trees & fields behind a fence. One side has fairly wide grass area for most of the length & behind fence are some trees. Behind far goal is fairly wide grass area & then longer grass. Behind fence are some trees with an industrial/farm building beyond. Near side has grass area with most of far half having a small caged floodlit artificial area. The remainder then has banking with bushes on top. Behind is a building. Past the corner flag are the changing rooms with overhang.

Match: 10th v 2nd out of 13
Cold & mostly sunny. Odd spot of rain as I left my house & a few spots for a mile or so on leaving the ground.

The 1st half meandered along with WW the better side & having plenty of shots only one decent shot which was a curled effort giving the gk no chance for the only goal. OCC did little although they went close just before h/t. Shots 2-9.

H/t lasted over 6mins.
The game followed the same pattern but gradually OCC started to get on top. The gk made a save but the rebound was put in for the equaliser. 146 seconds later they took the lead. WW had an overhead kick pushed round the post for a corner on 77mins. From the corner the ball was bundled towards the goal but it was cleared close to the line with hopeful shouts of a goal. In injury time WW were awarded penalty with barely any complaints & this was converted. On 95+mins OCC had an attack & the ball went past the gk with the forward & a WW defender chasing the ball with the OCC player looking favourite but from quite our position quite a distance away we couldn’t understand why he didn’t shoot & the defender cleared it away. Quite gloomy when the f/t whistle went after playing over 6mins of injury time. Shots 9-7. A fair result played in a good spirit.

I chatted to a friendly official from OCC & I was twice offered a cup of tea from a couple of people. Before today Melton Utd were top, a few points ahead of a packed bunch (4 teams separated by 2pts & these 4 had played the same amount of games).

I have now visited all 1st team venue’s of the SIL for the 1st ever time.

BA21
Youth Team Sub

Nov 30, 2019, 9:26 PM

Team(s): Yeovil Town

Post #20 of 64 (5962 views)
Shortcut
Re: [barcud-coch] Saturday 30 November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Whitchurch United 1 Newport (IOW) 4
Wessex League division one
Admission £6.00
Programme £1.00
Attendance 47

A nice revisit to this ground albeit that we had set off for Tadley Calleva where neither of us had been before. A very bad accident closed the A303 west of Andover meaning we would never have made Tadley as traffic was stationary. After diverting we easily made it to Whitchurch by 2.40pm, I could not recall much from my last visit as it was so long ago. A large seated stand that probably holds a couple of hundred dominates the near side of the ground, this is situated next to the clubhouse which has an overhang that acts as additional cover. The other three sides comprise of hard standing with the standard fixed railings and dugouts.

I really enjoyed this ground and despite the bitter cold there was plenty of hot drinks on offer to warm me up added to a very impressive performance from the visiting islanders that would have no doubt delighted their half dozen travelling supporters. No problems on the roads on the way home.

Grounds 663 International/Football League/Senior non-league
Football League 2019/20 86/92 - last 12/05/19 Tottenham Hotspur vs Everton, Premier League, Tottenham Hotspur Stadium
Fixtures at 120 Football League grounds
Last new - 23/11/19 Wrexham vs Yeovil Town, National League
New 2019/20 Abergavenny Town, Chepstow Town, Lizard Argyle, United Services Portsmouth, Hutton, Ludgershall Sports, Wrexham

(This post was edited by BA21 on Nov 30, 2019, 9:36 PM)

Linnetstowinit
Youth Team Star

Nov 30, 2019, 9:30 PM

Team(s): Runcorn Linnets,Arsenal,Tranmere Rovers,Guernsey

Post #21 of 64 (5935 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Saturday 30 November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

WIDNES. 1. RUNCORN LINNETS 2
NPL NORTH WEST. ATTENDANCE 329
======================
Linnets made it 6 points in the last week as they quite easily overcame local rivals Widnes despite the close looking score line.

On a gloriously Sunny but cold day Linnets controlled the match and with goalkeeper Emery barely troubled apart from catching crosses they pushed Widnes back for the majority of the match.

Centre forward Paul Shanley was the focal player and was fouled repeatedly by a robust Widnes defence. He opened the scoring after a well worked move and continued to cause Widnes problems throughout.

Captain Kyle Hamid kept a tight rein in midfield and regularly thwarted any attempt by Widnes to try and gain any space.

The Linnets second goal finally arrived midway through the 2nd half courtesy of a trademark Louis Corrigan free kick 20 yards from goal into the top corner.

Widnes scored in the 89th minute but overall were totally outplayed and a shadow of the team that has consistently been Linnets bogey team over the last few seasons.

codofthenorth
First Team Regular

Nov 30, 2019, 9:41 PM

Post #22 of 64 (5872 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Saturday 30 November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or

Largs 1-2 Kilwinning....West Premier...Adm £6...Prog £2....k.o 1345.

Having planned to head north all week to take in Dufftown or Burghead Thistle,the forecast cold snap led me not wanting to gamble with games being postponed.
I stayed local and headed to Yoker for the Strathclyde Cup game between Maryhill Thistle and Kirky Thistle at 10am. On arrival the place was dead,had a quick look inside the ground before weighing up my next option.(found out tonight that Kirky announced they couldnt raise a team an hour before kick off but nothing seen on twitter).

Took the M77 south west towards Troon,again this was called off halfway there.I then headed to Irvine Vics but six miles from Irvine it was another game off.I parked up by the groung for a quick google and only games at Benburb,Largs and Yoker were showing as still currently on....even Ayr Utd and Morton were off.

I headed north up the A78 to Largs, as I parked up at the ground,theyd tweeted game on...happy days!! Had a look round Largs and took a ride on the ferry to Cumbrae and back...didnt get off though,time wasnt on my side.

The game was no classic, Kilwinning well clear at the top of the League against Largs who sat comfortably above mid table.

Largs took the lead on 43 minutes through Sewell to give them a 1-0 half time lead.As the second half ebbed away I couldnt see Kilwinning equalising.On the 66th minute,Largs No3 was sent off and from the resulting set piece, Michael Hewitt a recent replacement levelled.
Soon after on 74 minutes Mc Waters got the winner with a low shot from the edge of the box.

Another 3 points to the Buffs as they pull further clear at the top.The ground is pretty much unchanged,the same barrell roofed long Stand,there a bit of herras fencing up,looks like they are having a clear out,with a skip or two inside the ground.Not a bad effort for the programme but could do with both squads listing so they can be amended...mind you this fixture was only arranged seven days ago.

A good turn out for todays game and many with their own 'carry out' as a liquid picnic.At full time a glorious sunset as the sun plunged behind the Isle of Arran in the Clyde approaches....not that the sun made much difference,the temperature only got as high as 1 degree. A crisp cold evening with excellent visibility out west....luckily no wind chill to go with it!!!

Red Sunrise
Junior Team Star

Nov 30, 2019, 9:47 PM

Team(s): Largs Thistle, Aberdeen, BFC Dynamo

Post #23 of 64 (5835 views)
Shortcut
Re: [codofthenorth] Saturday 30 November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Not a bad effort for the programme but could do with both squads listing so they can be amended...mind you this fixture was only arranged seven days ago.

Both squads are listed in the programme - Kilwinning on page eight, ours is spread between 16 and 17 with photos. There is space to number the players.

Usually I'd print off the team lists but due to the groundwork it was pen and paper today.

https://twitter.com/theeselsunrise

(This post was edited by Red Sunrise on Nov 30, 2019, 9:48 PM)

Chris1963

Nov 30, 2019, 10:00 PM

Post #24 of 64 (5778 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Karen Browne] Saturday 30 November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
My first choice game had been Tring Corinthians v Rayleigh Town in the Feeder Leagues (Anagram Records) Trophy but I did not receive a reply to the e-mail I had sent to the home club's secretary asking whether a programme would be issued and with a pitch inspection being announced on Rayleigh's twitter, I thought it best to give that one a miss.

For future reference clubs are required to produce a programme as per Anagram rules.

Thanks Karen, I'm aware of programme issuing being compulsory in this competition but there have been many cases of clubs not issuing in other cups (even the FA Cup) where it is compulsory to issue. It will be interesting to see if a WDYG report appears for the game at Tring Corinthians.

The Don
Junior Team Regular

Nov 30, 2019, 10:16 PM

Team(s):

Post #25 of 64 (5712 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Atavistic] Saturday 30 November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Marlow Utd (2nd)v Milton Utd (3rd) – Hellenic League 1E - (2 – 4)

The match has been well reported by Atavistic.

I planned on going to this fixture earlier in the week but held up confirming it until Friday due to the lousy weekend weather we have been experiencing lately.
I also noticed that Atavistic was planning to attend so I decided that I would say hello if I saw him having met him, briefly, at a previous fixture.
My journey down the M4 was going fine until I had to exit at the High Wycombe turning. Two outside lanes were closed to funnel traffic into the exit due to the motorway being closed for a section to facilitate the demolition of a bridge.
Needless to say traffic (including coaches and lorries) was speeding down the two outside lanes which were due to be closed further on and then had force themselves in to the nearside lane which was open. This “leap-frogging” led to me taking 20 minutes longer for the last mile of the journey to the turning (me being on the nearside lane).
My planned visit into High Wycombe (for a nose around) before the game was a nightmare. The Park and Ride bus took nearly half an hour (heavy traffic, stop start, traffic lights, roundabouts, narrow streets etc) to get into the city centre bus station. (it took about 10 minutes for the return journey).
The traffic was horrendous. The A404 roundabout was a nightmare.
Fearing endless delays I ended up staying in the town centre for about 30 minutes before getting the return bus to the Park and Ride. I then had to navigate the said roundabout to get to the football ground. It was scary but easier than I had feared and I ended up at the ground two hours before kick-off.
I saw Atavistic and had a chat with him. He really is a dedicated young ground hopper who plans his journeys meticulously considering he doesn’t drive. His detailed reports on this and his own blog bear witness to that.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3