Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Wednesday 27th November 2019

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Nov 27, 2019, 5:36 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #1 of 6 (2143 views)
Shortcut
Wednesday 27th November 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

BUCS Tier 4C. (F&N). Crowd 40.

Harper Adams 1st 2 v 1 Wolverhampton 2nd

This is a mainly Rugby university, so football is played on two poor condition pitches at the edge of the complex. These were almost waterlogged and had long grass. Both teams were at home today.

Haper are bottom of their group and had lost all their games, Wolves one place above with one win. The standard reflected in the quality of the game. The visitors started well and were on top but unable to score and after 20 minutes the home side broke away and took the lead. Harper added a second just 4 minutes later.

The conditions took their toll and the second half pace was much slower. The frustrated visitors picked up a yellow card and a sin bin. They scored with 10 minutes to go and laid siege to the Adams goal but again frustration got the better of them and they received a red card. No more goals but plenty of handbags after the final whistle.

Windy
First Team Sub

Nov 27, 2019, 11:30 PM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 6 (1886 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Wednesday 27th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

2.0 - UEFA Youth League - Lille 1 Ajax 2 - Admission €5 - Teamsheet free - Attendance approx 800

9.0 - Champions League - Lille 0 Ajax 2 - Admission €85 - No programmes but Teamsheet secured - Attendance approx 50,000

Long day out started with the 6.47 Eurostar from St Pancras and ends after over 31,000 steps at my Airbnb with the alarm set for 6.30 in readiness of the Eurostar back at 8.35 in the morning.

Youth match was played at Lille’s training ground in the middle of nowhere. It was a train from Lille to Baisieux and then a two mile walk. I could have got a cab but decided that I needed the exercise so walked it both ways. I was in Amsterdam for the reverse fixtures and the youth match was just like the first encounter with Ajax completely in control. They were two up in six minutes. A dribble into the box by Terrence Douglas who then found Brian Brobbey to net with an angled drive and that was followed by a Brobbey shot blocked by the keeper and Kenneth Taylor sidestepped one before finding the net to make it 2-0. A sitter was then missed and it looked like an avalanche of goals was coming my way, but Ajax seemed content with their two. Lille rarely threatened and it was a shock when then pulled one back on 67 minutes when a slide rule Nassim Innocenti pass put Fadiga Ouattara through and he slid the ball under the keeper. Their chances faded on 76 when Cheikh Niasse was sent off for bringing Quinton Timber down just outside the area and he was the last man so he had to go. After that, Ajax played keepball and Lille couldn’t be bothered to close them down. Very odd indeed but it all made sense at the end of the match when the Lille players hung around on the pitch and then celebrated when the Valencia v Chelsea result came through which means they qualify along with Ajax for the next stage although Lille are likely to have to play an extra match for finishing second in their group.

On to the main match and without going into too much detail, Ajax scored on two minutes when Dusan Tadic passed sideways to Hakim Ziyech to score from the edge of the area and the second came just before the hour when a Ziyech Cross was expertly turned home by Quincy Promes at the far post. Ziyech then had a goal disallowed by the wonders of VAR for handball. Ajax fans were banned for their trip to Chelsea after misdemeanours at Valencia and in the block where I was sitting was 90% Ajax fans. No trouble although UEFA will probably look into why one Ajax fan managed to run on the pitch and also why the Champions League anthem was met with a crescendo of boos from the away fans.

I see that the esteemed Timmy Tabby is having a goalfest of a week - can I ask that he sends some of those my way please for the FA Vase weekend, weather permitting.

timmy tabby
First Team Star

Nov 28, 2019, 7:43 AM

Post #3 of 6 (1697 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Windy] Wednesday 27th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

....Goalfest. Ha ha ha....

Romford 0 (4 pens) v (3pens) 0 Barking - Isthmian League Cup Group Stage - Played at Mayesbrook Park Barking as the Brentwood Arena pitch is very very wet.
Prog 40 pages £2.00* - Admission £6.00** - Att 84

* In the shiny new Tamplin era at Romford, there is still one constant as the prog is consistently informative. Particularly interesting article giving previous playing details of all 23 of the new signings. Noted also that the player listing for this season is now 67 names long.

** If you are happy to offer a concession rate, I am not going to refuse.

....The only n/l game on in the area post the days splashings and after it was switched to the easily accessible Mayesbrook Park, this became an information gathering exercise in terms of what is occurring with Tamplin's new plaything. Obviously and well documented is a completely new team. few names that were familiar but in the starting line up was Freddy Moncur who has played a few first team games at Brisbane Road and Adam Cunnington who has a long scoring record at a plethora of clubs including under Tamplin at Billericay and as a memory jogger stood out when seeing Barwell a couple of times a decade ago. Of the understanding that his goalscoring prowess will not come cheaply. Interestingly Tamplin junior was the only unused substitute of the evening.

Initially thought that this was in terms of group standings a completely irrelevant evening, however the also present Geoff informed that as Barking had been deducted three points for player irregularities, then Romford could still win the group if they achieved a six goal win and then Grays and Brentwood drew their remaining group game. No chance of this occurring in what was a particularly headless affair of an overabundance of running around but little else. The first half was particularly forgettable with the only chance that has embedded in the memory was a good run down the left from Junior Dadson for Barking a low cross across the face but Emmanuel Ighorae on the back post angled wide what was a clear chance.

The second period was scarcely an improvement and clear that there is an awful lot of work for Tamplin to undertake in the next few weeks if his charges are going to rise above the IL 1N relegation zone. From this angle, Romford created very little in and around the penalty area apart from a rising shot from Theo Ola which Montel Joseph in the Barking goal pulled down without too much difficulty. As before the better chances fell to Barking with Eddie Allsopp's venomous drive being struck straight at Manny Agboola in the Romford goal, the sort of shot that would have found the net if it had been placed a yard either side. Near the end Nana Boakye-Yiadom raced through a static Romford defence but took the obligatory one touch too many and Agboola was able to block. Overall this was poor fayre on a stodgy but playable pitch.

With a drawn outcome, Barking had qualified from the group but we still had to endure an irrelevance of a penalty shoot out to determine the destination of the 'bonus point'. Romford won this 4-3 for what was their first win of their new Tamplin infused era.

With an 20.00 kick off (kicked off the customary 7 minutes) late, made for a late rush hour journey from E14 which went to plan and no hindrances on the return journey with the sodden streets of RM17 being reached a few minutes prior to 23.00...

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 28, 2019, 8:34 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #4 of 6 (1650 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Wednesday 27th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Scottish Cup Round Three Replay
Arbroath v Auchinleck Talbot, 3-0, H.T. 1-0, Att 1022 (approx. 350 away), Admission £12 / £6, Programme £1.50
At Gayfield Park, Arbroath

Arbroath made no mistake in this Replay as they swept to a comfortable victory and set up a home tie against Falkirk in the next round. The Lichties were superior in every area and the final scoreline could easily have been greater. Auchinleck seldom threatened and will have been happy to get back down the road without being on the end of a bigger scoreline.

The man who made the difference for the home side was midfielder Mikko Virtanen. The on-loan Aberdeen player was missing on Saturday but returned for the replay. He controlled the midfield area with a master-class of closing down and passing – his through ball to set up the opening goal was an absolute peach.

Arbroath Manager Dick Campbell again demonstrated his tactical ability. On Saturday, on the narrower confines of Beechwood Park, his team opted for a safety-first pragmatic approach. In the replay they were more expansive, exploiting the wide-open spaces of Gayfield to expose weaknesses in the Auchinleck side.

McKenna opened the scoring in the 26th minute to settle home nerves. Boaby the Binman Linn made it 2-0 in 54 minutes and Stewart’s 64th minute third ended the game as a contest. It was also the cue for many of the away supporters to stream for the ground and head for the pub. The final quarter was a stroll for Arbroath, little more than a training session against a Talbot side who offered little going forward.

Arbroath, along with Alloa, are the highest-placed part time sides in Scotland. I thought the gap between them and Talbot would be narrower but on the night there was a gulf in standards. The result may prove to be helpful to Talbot as it will allow them to concentrate on qualifying for next season’s Cup, through either the Junior Cup or the West Super League. They have a tough Cup game away to strong-going Rossvale on Saturday, followed a week later by a crucial League game against Kilwinning.

The attendance was 1022 with no segregation in force. The Lichties fans, as is their custom, migrated round the ground at half time to cheer their team from behind whatever goal they were shooting in to. The bulk of the visiting support stayed on the seaward side of the ground. Good numbers travelled for a midweek away game but disappointing to see so many walk out when their team lost the third goal. Their team deserved better than that for their achievement in reaching the Third Round in the first place.

Kudos to Arbroath for putting out a 16-page programme for £1.50 at short notice. Good value for the money.

I normally enjoy a Steak and Black Pudding Pie at Gayfield but couldn’t manage one after a visit to the legendary Bell Rock Chippy before the match, for one of the finest fish suppers I have ever had. It’s just along the road from Gayfield towards the town centre – there is a takeaway and a sit-in restaurant.

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 28, 2019, 8:56 AM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #5 of 6 (1591 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Wednesday 27th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cheadle Town 0 Abbey Hey 1, North West Counties League Division 1 South, Att: 146, Admission: £5, Prog: £2, Free Teamsheet

The last of my trio of NWCL games saw me at Park Road, Cheadle - a short hop off my regular slow crawl home from work. After the 90 minute slog to get 28 miles to Ashton Town last night, this was a breeze, just the half hour to drive 5 miles. Oh the joys of Manchester traffic these days. With this being a game between teams based 6 miles apart there was always the potential for a bit of niggle and so it proved, with a two footed lunge resulting in an Abbey Hey red card before the break which had the result of slowing the visitors to a crawl although there was still the feeling that the ten men might still sneak it and so it proved, the decisive moment in a game of few chances coming with 15 minutes left, a 20 yard shot coming back off a post to be tapped in my an Abbey Hey substitute. Only a year or so since my last visit here so no changes, though I do remain impressed with what the club have managed to do on limited resources, using portable buildings knocked together to provide a smart bar and a meeting room with a busy tea bar** between the clubhouse and the stand which was well stocked but expensive (£4 for the smallest steak pie I've ever seen with a small portion of chips). The stand itself which many will be familiar with has had a facelift in recent years and is very smart, providing a good view from either the seats or standing area behind. The remainder of the ground is still just open flat standing. Company provided by Len S in the first half before he retired to the stand as the rain became heavier.

** The system for payments in the tea bar may have to be refined prior to the NWCL 'Hop hordes descending in March. Service was painfully slow, the lady behind the counter was having to tap the sale of each item into an i-pad type touchscreen device (for stock control?) when a little simple arithmetic was all that was required.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

auchinleckian
Youth Team Star

Dec 1, 2019, 7:29 PM

Team(s): Auchinleck Talbot; Grimsby Town; Wales (rugby and football)

Post #6 of 6 (736 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Wednesday 27th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Scottish Cup Round Three Replay
Arbroath v Auchinleck Talbot, 3-0, H.T. 1-0, Att 1022 (approx. 350 away), Admission £12 / £6, Programme £1.50
At Gayfield Park, Arbroath

Arbroath made no mistake in this Replay as they swept to a comfortable victory and set up a home tie against Falkirk in the next round. The Lichties were superior in every area and the final scoreline could easily have been greater. Auchinleck seldom threatened and will have been happy to get back down the road without being on the end of a bigger scoreline.

The man who made the difference for the home side was midfielder Mikko Virtanen. The on-loan Aberdeen player was missing on Saturday but returned for the replay. He controlled the midfield area with a master-class of closing down and passing – his through ball to set up the opening goal was an absolute peach.

Arbroath Manager Dick Campbell again demonstrated his tactical ability. On Saturday, on the narrower confines of Beechwood Park, his team opted for a safety-first pragmatic approach. In the replay they were more expansive, exploiting the wide-open spaces of Gayfield to expose weaknesses in the Auchinleck side.

McKenna opened the scoring in the 26th minute to settle home nerves. Boaby the Binman Linn made it 2-0 in 54 minutes and Stewart’s 64th minute third ended the game as a contest. It was also the cue for many of the away supporters to stream for the ground and head for the pub. The final quarter was a stroll for Arbroath, little more than a training session against a Talbot side who offered little going forward.

Arbroath, along with Alloa, are the highest-placed part time sides in Scotland. I thought the gap between them and Talbot would be narrower but on the night there was a gulf in standards. The result may prove to be helpful to Talbot as it will allow them to concentrate on qualifying for next season’s Cup, through either the Junior Cup or the West Super League. They have a tough Cup game away to strong-going Rossvale on Saturday, followed a week later by a crucial League game against Kilwinning.

The attendance was 1022 with no segregation in force. The Lichties fans, as is their custom, migrated round the ground at half time to cheer their team from behind whatever goal they were shooting in to. The bulk of the visiting support stayed on the seaward side of the ground. Good numbers travelled for a midweek away game but disappointing to see so many walk out when their team lost the third goal. Their team deserved better than that for their achievement in reaching the Third Round in the first place.

Kudos to Arbroath for putting out a 16-page programme for £1.50 at short notice. Good value for the money.

I normally enjoy a Steak and Black Pudding Pie at Gayfield but couldn’t manage one after a visit to the legendary Bell Rock Chippy before the match, for one of the finest fish suppers I have ever had. It’s just along the road from Gayfield towards the town centre – there is a takeaway and a sit-in restaurant.

I think it's important to put this game, and the others Talbot have played in the Scottish Cup this season, into some perspective.

Talbot were well beaten, but had it not been for the most generous of soft penalties in the 83rd minute of the game at Beechwood we would have had out third league scalp in succession, all by a 1-0 scoreline. It was simply a game too far.

The perspective though? In the first round we played the highest ranked side in the competition, Kelty Hearts, and their expensively assembled side under ex Rangers and Scotland captain Barry Ferguson. The television cameras saw us come away from their ground with a very comfortable 1-0 win.

In the next round we hosted Cove Rangers for the second year in succession, only this time they too were the highest ranked club in the competition at this stage. Again, we beat them 1-0.

The third round, and we draw Arbroath, again, the highest ranked side in this round, and as previously mentioned we'd have been playing Falkirk in round four bar that penalty decision.

There's no shame in Talbot losing by 3-0 to such a side, and our run this year has been extremely difficult, albeit we adapted ourselves to each game manfully. I can't think of any non league side who would take such a following to Arbroath on a Wednesday night (there's probably few Championship sides bar their local derby sides who would take anywhere near the amount of fans we had there.

Fans leaving when we are 3-0 down? There were a few, but nothing like the numbers Prorege thinks he saw. I remember going to watch Talbot play at New Elgin the Junior Cup a few years back and two coachloads of fans went up to Aberdeen on the Friday night before heading on to New Elgin the next day. The trip was £100 with the b&b at the hotel, and yet half a dozen or so fans decided pre match that the pub they were having a wee swally in was so nice they stayed in there instead of going to the game, getting picked up after the match had finished. No, I don't understand that mentality either at times, but you pays your money....

We won the tricky Junior Cup tie on Saturday at Rossvale and are now into the last 16 of the competition again. We last tasted defeat in the competition two and a half years ago when Glenafton beat us in the 2016-17 Final. There is an expectancy within the supporters that this could yet be another Three in a Row season, similar to when we won it thrice in 1986, 87 and 88. It's not a devalued competition, as some of those who support the Eastern clubs position in moving up into the senior grade would have us believe. Clubs from the West have traditionally been the much stronger and more successful in it.

The clubs who moved across might be better off financially, but they now face playing in cups where there's no history for them, and nothing to look forward to. The Junior Cup is still the ebst non league competition in Scotland by a country mile. It might not be for much longer if the West clubs do eventually make the same move as the East clubs did, but there will be many folk who will miss the Junior Cup when that happens, not jsut Talbot.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3