Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
16th november

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

leohoenig
Administrator

Nov 17, 2019, 8:39 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #51 of 63 (2295 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] 16th november [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Coupe de France, Round 7
Villemomble Sports 1-5 US Orleans Loiret
Stade Georges Pompidou, (or Claude Ripert). Admission €5
Attendance ~1500 (from Le Parisien report)

The second division teams join in the Coupe at this stage, with two rounds to play before the teams from Ligue One. I chose to go to Villemomble as it pitted a Regional 2 (Tier 7) team against a Ligue 2 team.

While the lower division team is always at home in these ties, (the matches are switched when there is a two level difference), it is not uncommon for them to have to leave their normal home and play at a larger stadium

Having played one season in the National League, Villemomble felt capable of using their normal stadium for the game. This is, depending on view, Stade Georges Pompidou (according to the French Football Federation), Parc des Sports George Pompidou, (according to a sign by the entrance) or even Stade Claude Ripert (according to a map, and also shown on the corner of one building). Ripert is a former mayor of the area, who donated his own funds to build the stadium, (he did this before he became mayor).

The stadium has two pitches, a grass one with a track around it, and a smaller one with an artificial pitch. Each has its own, quite considerable stand, but the arrangements means that each pitch basically has only one side open for viewing.

It is the artificial pitch that has the building in the corner identifying the site as Stade Claude Ripert. I have considered that I will therefore follow the fff and groundhopper app and fff and refer to the stadium under the former president's name. I would go back to tick the other ground as a separate entity if someone else played their, but to the best of my knowledge it is used only by the junior teams of Villemomble.

The main pitch has a building running along most of the viewing side. The original building has a stand bolted to the top of it. This appears to be a smaller version of the classic early cantilever stand from Groningen's (sadly demolished) Oosterpark. The stadium generally dates back to the late 1930s but it is unclear if this seating area (which has a sign stating it holds 480 seats), was opened later. At a lower level, there are three rows of seats covered by arrangement of the building.

However, those people in these seats, and those standing on the few flat standing areas have their views obscured by surely unnecessary high fencing (all with that green plastic coating). Maybe this was put up for their one season at National League level, but surely not required at their current standard. Of course, for the average league game would not fill the raised seats.

Opposite the ground is a monolithic block of flats, there is a road and railway between the pitch and the flats, but they still reflected back some of the noise from the main stand. It was also clear that in several of the windows there were people watching the game, as well as a few who found viewing places from the road.

As I was handed a copy of the teamsheet, one of the local officials explained their hope that they could win this game, helped on by the fact Orleans were three players short due to international call ups. In fact, Orleans (bottom of Ligue 2) made five changes from the previous week's defeat by Paris, and one more between printing the team sheet and the start of the game. The home team has dropped down the levels from tier 3 to 7 in the last dozen seasons with my new friend attributing this to a lack of finance after a change of club president. Hence a good cup result could help them to move back in the right direction. They were unbeaten prior to the game, and top their division of the Regional 2 league.

The first half was fairly competitive, even if Orleans may have always had an edge. There were several occasions when everyone in the seats was standing to see action at the far end, but on the whole the visiting defence had enough to ease the ball away. Passes on the ground into the area tended to fall short while Orleans had a comfortable superiority in the air. At the break it is 1-0 to Orleans, the goal having come mid-way through the period - scored directly from a Joris Correa free kick.

The other incident of note are three fire crackers that go off while the score is 0-0. These must have come from outside the ground, as no one can wander around the pitch except the club officials. The referee was clearly perturbed by this and spoke to the bench each time. On the first occasion, a few officials wandered around to try and resolve things, but the second occasion, when two crackers went off resulted in an announcement on the speakers and even two police cars onto the road. Fortunately, there was no further incident.

The second period started in similar vein, with a close range header by defender Alex Marchadier allowing Orleans to double the lead after 55 minutes. The biggest cheer of the game came when Abdelmalek Adnaouene received a good cross from Abdoul Dosso to pull a goal back.

The hope of getting back into the game did not last long, Aurelien Scheidler restoring the two goal cushion just two minutes later, with Dosso, whose runs down the right appeared to be the biggest home threat being substituted immediately after.

Orleans now produced some of the best football of the night against a clearly tiring home team. Scheidler was fouled trying to work his way through the area and converted the resulting penalty, while Mohamed Talal completed the scoring five minutes from time.

As I left the ground, I was stopped by someone who told me that they had seen my a week earlier at the Regional 3 game in the Le Mans area. With the driving time between ground being around 3 hours, I was quite suprised by that. I also noted that two French people had posted being at the game on the groundhopper App. One of which had doubled with Gennevilliers game at Yves de Manoir.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

bluearmybob
First Team Sub

Nov 17, 2019, 10:03 PM

Team(s): Ipswich Town FC since April 11th 1966.Groundhopping since January 28th 1989

Post #52 of 63 (2125 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hornchurchspur] 16th november [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Southern Combination Premier
East Preston 1 AFC Uckfield 1
Admission £4 (concession) Attendance c75 (h/c)

A enjoyable encounter with plenty of incident and each side having periods of dominance. East Preston started well but Uckfield soon gained a foothold and went in front when a miskicked clearance fell kindly for Maclean who made no mistake from close range. Uckfield had a golden chance to double their lead when the East Preston keeper Boughton lost out to the oncoming forward when trying to head clear but a defender managed to get back and block the rather weak shot at goal. Uckfield were still on top at the beginning of the second half forcing two decent saves from Boughton but a sin binning for Uckfield's Storey allowed East Preston to gain the initiative. As the hosts pushed forward what looked like a simple tap in brought a fine diving save from Hawkins. East Preston continued to press and with fifteen minutes left their pressure told when a corner was headed home for the equaliser. A slick passing move soon earned East Preston a penalty but the opportunity for a win was wasted when Hawkins guessed right to smother the spot kick. With just a few minutes left it was Uckfield's chance to go for the win. The mouthy Boughton finally had a few words too many with the referee and was despatched to the sin bin minus his goalkeeping shirt which he passed to a colleague. There wasn't really enough time for Uckfield to test the replacement's competence although a injury time corner did cause some panic before being booted clear to end the afternoon's entertainment with the scores level – probably a fair result on the balance of play.

The Lashmar is situated to one side of a recreation ground, a short but uninspiring walk from Angmering station. The entrance is in one corner alongside the clubhouse and dressing rooms with a bank of seating to the right and some overhang from the dressing room roof to the left providing the only covered standing. Although facilities are limited the welcome today was friendly with excellent service from the refreshment kiosk including hot drinks served in proper mugs and using decent quality tea bags. Overall a good day out.
East Preston Chairman sent me a text with the attendance of 86.

GROUNDS VISITED.(382) NEW GROUNDS THIS SEASON 2019/20. (13)
GAMES THIS SEASON 2019/20. (23)
GAMES SINCE LAST 0-0. Ipswich Town v Wycombe Wanderers. 26/11/19. (2) BEST RUN OF NOT SEEING A 0-0. (61)
LEAGUES COMPLETED. Championship. League 1. Isthmian League North. ECL Premier Division. ECL Division 1 North. SCEFL Premier Division.
FOOTBALL SEEN IN:Bulgaria,Czech Republic,England,France,Greece,Guensey,Holland,Scotland,Switzerland,Turkey & Wales.

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 17, 2019, 11:54 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #53 of 63 (1981 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bluearmybob] 16th november [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

West Lancashire League (Premier Division) 2 pm

Fulwood Amateurs 1 Lytham Town 2 (H/T 0-0)

Entry - Free

Programme - £2 for 16 pages

Crowd - c. 40

As already mentioned elsewhere on this forum, Fulwood are playing home games at the University of Central Lancashire Arena while their own ground is being rebuilt. (in fact, the editorial in the programme stated that the rebuilding project has been delayed by five months, so it is possible that the club will continue using the UCL complex for the early months of next season.) The main reason for me choosing this game though, was the fact that the weather had been less wet in the far north-west than anywhere else. In fact, I saw hardly any puddles on the streets of Preston, and there was sunshine during the first half, despite the forecast being for thick cloud.

The match was played on the 3G pitch in the western part of the complex. I was a bit disappointed by this because I would have preferred it to have been played on the grass pitch in the eastern part of the complex, as this is much more scenic and the pavilion sits on top of a grass bank which gives an elevated view of the action. This grass pitch was being used for another match this day, and I think the teams may have had something to do with the university. If this was the case, then perhaps the grass pitches might be available for Fulwood to use during the holidays?

The 3G and grass pitches are so far apart (about three or four minutes walk) that it would not be unreasonable to count them as separate grounds, and in fact the signposting refers to them as 'West' and 'East' which makes them sound like separate entities. The 3G pitch has a railed-off spectator area but the only cover is a slight overhang from the changing-room building which is just outside the cage.

The complex is one of the biggest and most impressive I have ever seen anywhere. It includes the Preston North End Academy, which is a collection of immaculately kept grass pitches and a modest changing-room building, although it appears that PNE also have use of the 3G cage. It is feasible to speculate that if PNE get promoted to the Premier League, the TV millions they will get could be used to fund a new academy elsewhere where they would be able to stop the public from walking around, as is currently the case at the UCL Arena. As things are at the moment, although there is a lockable gate at the car entrance to the arena, pedestrians can gain entry at any time of the day or night via a public footpath that goes under the adjacent railway line, or from the canal towpath that runs alongside the north side of the complex. Interestingly, there is a very old house next to the canal (within the complex) which has been converted into a café for the use of people visiting the complex and it is possible that this house was built at the same time as the canal - it really does look that old!

The odd thing though is that the road where the ground entrance is (Tom Benson Way) does not have a pavement even though it is relatively close to Preston city centre. It is not easy finding an alternative walking route, and you will need a very detailed map to do so. There is a local bus service to a housing estate situated just south of the railway line, and you could then walk under the railway line to gain access to the complex.

This match was a top of the table clash, and Lytham won despite missing a penalty shortly before half-time. Despite the slight disappointment of the game not being on the grass pitch, this was still a worthwhile tick because of the unusual and impressive nature of the venue.

(This post was edited by Chris1963 on Nov 18, 2019, 12:03 AM)

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 18, 2019, 12:12 AM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #54 of 63 (1955 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] 16th november [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
West Lancashire League (Premier Division) 2 pm

Fulwood Amateurs 1 Lytham Town 2 (H/T 0-0)

Entry - Free

Programme - £2 for 16 pages

Crowd - c. 40

As already mentioned elsewhere on this forum, Fulwood are playing home games at the University of Central Lancashire Arena while their own ground is being rebuilt. (in fact, the editorial in the programme stated that the rebuilding project has been delayed by five months, so it is possible that the club will continue using the UCL complex for the early months of next season.) The main reason for me choosing this game though, was the fact that the weather had been less wet in the far north-west than anywhere else. In fact, I saw hardly any puddles on the streets of Preston, and there was sunshine during the first half, despite the forecast being for thick cloud.

The match was played on the 3G pitch in the western part of the complex. I was a bit disappointed by this because I would have preferred it to have been played on the grass pitch in the eastern part of the complex, as this is much more scenic and the pavilion sits on top of a grass bank which gives an elevated view of the action. This grass pitch was being used for another match this day, and I think the teams may have had something to do with the university. If this was the case, then perhaps the grass pitches might be available for Fulwood to use during the holidays?

The match on grass was probably Sir Tom Finney v Standish St Wilfrids reserves in the Mid Lancashire League. Sir Tom Finney used the 3G last season. Several Mid Lancs League teams use pitches at UCLAN.

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

onion_bag
Reserve Team Star

Nov 18, 2019, 1:03 AM

Post #55 of 63 (1927 views)
Shortcut
16th november [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Northern Premier League - Div 1 SE
Sutton Coldfield Town 2 v Frickley 3
atten 242
Full credit to the Sutton Ultras and the healthy following from West Yorkshire as they created a fantastic atmosphere throughout in what was a rip roaring game.

Frickley went ahead early doors with a 25 yarder straight in the 'top bins' from the no9. They then went 2-0 up with a penalty. But SC didnt give up and fought back just before half time with a deflected goal. HT 1-2.

Second half was all SC and they equalised with a soft penalty. SC pressured the Frickley defence big style and forced 3 outstanding game changing saves. Then in the 90th minute Frickley get a penalty .... missed ! superb save. Then in the 95th minute as both teams were going for it , Frickley broke clear to score the winner. The Frickley faithful were still celebrating as the final whistle blew to end a pulsating afternoons entertainment.

View all Photos from Sutton Coldfield Town

http://onion-bag.blogspot.co.uk//
http://rugbyleaguegrounds.blogspot.co.uk/

(This post was edited by onion_bag on Nov 18, 2019, 1:05 AM)

Salamanca
Ballboy/girl

Nov 18, 2019, 12:15 PM

Post #56 of 63 (1615 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chesterbird] 16th november [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

South West Peninsula Premier East
Holsworthy 0-2 Cullompton
Upcott Field

Holsworthy continued their indifferent form in an expectedly tough test against mid-table Cullompton Rangers. The visiting team's current standing in the league table indicate underachievement given the quality of players in their ranks. With plenty of games left to go, I'd expect them to gradually climb the league and to compete in the top 8 come May.

The first 10 minutes of the game started at the usual frenetic and chaotic pace which most games at this level seem to start with. Holsworthy looked susceptible to going behind very early as they attempted to contain the more composed and experienced Cullompton through a mix of panic, confusion and incoherent shouting. Holsworthy managed to weather the initial storm with Cullompton squandering a couple of early chances, including hitting the post from close range.

Cullompton continued to have the lion's share of possession without creating too many chances, while Holsworthy occasionally posed a threat on the counter. Cullompton took the lead around the 25 minute mark after a cross dropped on the edge of the area and was comfortably dispatched into the bottom corner. Holsworthy grew into the game and showed greater organisation and stability in soaking up the pressure.

HT 0-1.

The second half offered a switch in roles as Holsworthy discovered they could achieve a greater and more developed attacking threat by retaining the ball for longer periods and choosing their moments to look in behind the backline or shoot. However, the sustained pressure did not translate into clear cut opportunities with the only shot on target managed by centre back Jon Elvins with a left-footed half volley after the Cullompton keeper punched a corner clear.

Cullompton always looked a threat on the counter and eventually sealed the 3 points with 10 minutes remaining with a wonderfully placed shot into the bottom corner, leaving Holsworthy keeper, Ryan Chadwick, stranded. The rest of the game petered out as the final result became inevitable. Holsworthy have shown improvements in their defensive play in recent weeks, but it seems to be at the cost of scoring with this being the third consecutive blank. A home fixture against free-scoring Bovey Tracey awaits the Magpies next saturday.

Tim

Nov 18, 2019, 2:13 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #57 of 63 (1434 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] 16th november [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Gloucestershire FA Trophy. (F&N). Crowd 23.

Bromley Heath United 2 v 2 Broadwell Amateurs. (5-4 on pens).

Also here, and saw a game at the second attempt after the late call off a fortnight ago. Nicely summed up by Mr 56. The ground is a 2 pitch job, with the main one having permanent dugouts and being railed on three and a bit sides - overlap with cricket. Most enjoyable.

Dr Love
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 18, 2019, 6:37 PM

Team(s): Halifax Town

Post #58 of 63 (1211 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] 16th november [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Woking 0-0 Halifax Town
National League Premier

Woking the most likely to win it, especially after Halifax reduced to 10 men for the last half hour. Injuries didn't help, but little hint of a goal to celebrate for those of us in the away section. A good point in the end.

I've been to Kingfield on several occasions, but this was the first time I'd been in the stand behind the goal. Surprised how steepit was, but prefered to watch the game from the open terrace down the side instead. Oddly the programme shop is situated in the away section.

WestBerksPalace
First Team Star

Nov 18, 2019, 8:56 PM

Team(s): Palace/Epsom and Ewell/Didcot Town and Djurgardens IF.

Post #59 of 63 (1088 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dr Love] 16th november [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saturday November 16th 2019. Game 45, 19/20, Ground #1220. KO 1330 - Welsh Cup Second Round - Chepstow Town (Blue and White Quarters) 0-5 STM Sports (All Green), admission £5 (prog Inc), attendance circa 85, cuppa 80p.

Postponed from last Saturday, a drier and brighter day enabled this Step 4 v 2 Welsh Cup tie to go ahead. STM trundled over from the Cardiff area of St Mellons, a club who have risen from the Cardiff Combination to the giddy heights of the Cymru South, one step away from the Welsh Premier.

Chepstow is an ancient town with a cracking castle, which enabled Ros to dust off her camera. The football ground had a distant view of the nearby bridge and seven estuary.

You'd had thought from the scoreline that this was a stroll for STM. It wasn't, 0-0 at half time, on a heavy pitch Chepstow were well in the game, and visiting keeper Exauce Dimonekene (yes really) was as busy as the home stopper.

This continued to be the case in the second half, with 'Ex' making two or three outstanding saves and Chepstow also hitting the bar, the difference being that STM were clinical in front of goal and the 9 and 11, Bateman and Cawley shared the five goals between them, Cawley notching a hat trick. Fair play to Chepstow though who continued to attack and never threw in the towel. Good to meet and talk to another hopper from Northampton, bump into Welsh Football Magazine editor David Collins with his fresh off the press November edition, highly recommended.

Sadly the towns micropub was not open until 5pm but we had time for a quick drink in the GBG listed The Beaufort Hotel before setting off home.

2019-20 - 45 games, last Chepstow T v STM Sports - 16/11, goals 146, avgpg 3.24, new grounds 12. Last - Chepstow Town 16/11.
New Grounds in 2019 - 26. 2018 - 44. 2017 -44. Grounds in Total - 1219.
RL Grounds - 34 (Last - Craven Park, Barrow - 8/9/19), Speedway Tracks 50.

colpic
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 19, 2019, 4:13 PM

Team(s): Scotter United (Scunthorpe League), AFC Telford(home town club),

Post #60 of 63 (800 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WestBerksPalace] 16th november [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Long Melford 1 Thetford T 3
ECL Premier Adm £4 inc prog. Att 95

The ground is situated down a narrow lane behind the main road through the village, which, as far as I could see, comprises of the Nethergate Brewery and dozens of antique shops. On the side of the ground nearest to the car park there's a covered seated stand adorned with smart black and white signage, and a clubhouse containing an interesting display on the club's history and supporting memorabilia. The far side barrier is so close to the perimeter hedge that there's barely enough room to squeeze by to do a lap!

Both sides had overcome poor starts to the season and had been on good runs of form but Thetford showed greater urgency and had the games outstanding player in Campbell who gave them the lead in the first half. The hosts equalised but conceded shortly thereafter and again a few minutes later to give Thetford a deserved victory.

Where's the 'ignore this poster' button?

royals26

Nov 21, 2019, 9:11 PM

Team(s): Reading

Post #61 of 63 (462 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colpic] 16th november [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

HELLENIC One West

London Road (A44)

Moreton Rangers 3-3 Hereford Lads Club

Adm:
£3+ free prog

Att: H/c 70 official 66

Directions: Ground entrance just off to the left on A44 at eastern edge of town after the entrance to the Cotswold Business Village and the Cemetery - headed up from the top of the Oxford Ring Rd through Woodstock and Chipping Norton

Facilities: small clubhouse no draught nor bottled bitter - only Cans of Guinness & bottled lager
no hot food available though there is a kitchen

Not much in the way of spectator comfort thought the news this week is they've had the go ahead to erect a 50 seater stand.

Badges £1 from the bar

Match:
1-0 v.early goal
1-1 pen
Ht
1-2 stayed that way for some time until Rangers finally woke up shook off their visitors domination of possession and started to press - but ... immediately -
1-3 on the break 82' Sly

2-3 close to full time (85')
Home side then missed a penalty

3-3 92'

burgesshillbee
First Team Star

Nov 24, 2019, 6:13 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #62 of 63 (273 views)
Shortcut
Re: [royals26] 16th november [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Enfield Town 1 v 3 Folkestone Invicta Isthmian Prem Division Admission £11 Prog £2.50 Att 468 Beer Plenty
A decent game, that saw Folkestone take advantage of some lax defending to score twice on 25 and 31 minutes. Shortly afterwards the home team were up in arms due to a Folkestone player making a suspected over the top tackle on an Enfield player who was stretchered off, the referee spoke at length to his assistant before issuing a yellow card, from my vantage point it looked bad but could not see if it was over the top or not. Second half saw Enfield score on 56 minutes but were thwarted from scoring an equaliser in the main by the Folkestone keeper. Folkestone scored their third in stoppage time with Enfield pushing up and lacking numbers at the back.

totallyuntamed
First Team Star

Nov 26, 2019, 3:55 PM

Team(s): Solihull Moors

Post #63 of 63 (181 views)
Shortcut
Re: [burgesshillbee] 16th november [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Season ticket duty at National League National Division Solihull Moors 3 AFC Fylde 1 Usual prices and programme.

Moors continued their excellent home form with a superb first half performance. However, a defensive error allowed Fylde to pull one back on the stroke of half time and there was only one team in it in the second half and Fylde had enough chances to get a draw. One of the biggest changes after half time that I have seen in a long time.

"There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Milletts".

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3