Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Ground Hopping & Programmes: International Hopping:
Porto area trip, 8-10 November

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 14, 2019, 10:26 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #1 of 5 (783 views)
Shortcut
Porto area trip, 8-10 November Can't Post or Reply Privately

My only previous games in Portugal were internationals, but the domestic fixtures made a long weekend based in Porto an attractive prospect.

It's a nice city and one I'm sure I'll return to in future. We (my travelling companion is best described as an occasional hopper, and he doesn't post on here) stayed in a city centre hotel, and travelled between games using a combination of public transport and taxis.

Friday 8.30pm
Primeria Liga (top division)
CD Aves 1 Gil Vicente 2 (att 1,281)

Got a train to Vila das Aves, which was dead quiet on a Friday night. Easy enough stroll to the stadium, where the basic supporters bar was one of only two places we saw that were open for a pre-match drink. Got lucky with a couple of complimentary tickets from the woman running the club shop, and picked up teamsheets.

Stadium is a horseshoe-shaped all seater. The main stand, where our tickets were for, has a roof, whereas the rest if open. Gil Vicente were a little lucky to bear the division's bottom side, going 2-0 up before conceding, all in the first half.

Saturday 3.30pm
Primeira Liga
Rio Ave 1 Vitoria Setubal 0 (att 1,740)

10eu for a ticket here, which got us uncovered seats in the only stand that was open. Seats further back were under a roof. Rio Ave is a river, and the club play in Vila do Conde, the ground just a short distance from the metro stop.

Only goal was in the first half, and it helped the game as Vitoria aren't the most exciting of sides and it meant they had to attack a bit.

We could have relied on tight public transport connections for our next match, but there was a taxi rank in the centre of Vila do Conde and it was simpler to get a cab to ....

Saturday 8.30pm
Primeira Liga
Famalicao 3 Moreirense 3 (att 3,912)

Terrific game. Newly-promoted Famalicao have had a great start to the season, and had a great start to this match, going 2-0 up in the first half and scoring a third early in the second. But then they eased off and Moreirense came back into it, eventually levelling thanks to a penalty awarded after the referee looked at a video replay.

Much more of an atmosphere at this game than the two previous ones, with a larger crowd and a small ground. The stadium is two-sided, and once again we paid 10eu to get in, for uncovered seats opposite the main trio of stands. After the game a train got us back into Porto in time for last orders (1am) at the hotel bar.

Sunday 11.15am
Sugunda Liga (level 2)
Penafiel 1 Benfica B 1 (att 507)

Our only match outside the top division. Penafiel is served by trains from Porto, although it looked a long and largely pavement-free hike from the station to the ground so we cabbed it.

Despite dropping a division the admission price was again 10eu. It's a great old ground, with a large seated stand on one side, three smaller stands opposite, and an open end for the three away fans (and three police to keep a close eye on them).

Both goals were in the first half, Benfica's young reserve side went ahead but Penafiel were soon level.

Unsure how busy Penafiel would be on a Sunday morning, we'd taken the precaution of pre-booking a taxi via Facebook to get to our next match ....

Sunday 3pm
Primeira Liga
Pacos de Ferreira 1 Tondela 0 (att 2,041)

Our taxi driver was five minutes late collecting us in Penafiel, which didn't matter as we had plenty of time in hand. But he seemed determined to make up for it by driving so fast, and at times so erratically, that I genuinely wondered if we'd make it alive.

Pacos de Ferreira is large town, but ill-served by public transport on Sunday, hence our need for taxis to get in and out. The football stadium is impressive, and had apparently been revamped in recent years. There are stands on all four sides, and just the away end lacks a roof.

Tickets were slightly more expensive (either 12eu or 12.50eu I can't recall) and as well as a teamsheet we picked up a free monthly magazine ahead of kick off (it certainly wasn't a programme though). Only goal was in the first half, Tondela had an equaliser ruled out by VAR, presumably by someone sat in the Portuguese equivalent of Stockley Park.

After the game another pre-booked cab arrived to take us back into Porto, where we had to time to return to our hotel before heading back out to ....

9pm
Primeira Liga
Boavista 0 FC Porto 1 (att 16,514)

Unlike the weekend's other games we had to sort tickets in advance for this, and they were a hefty 55eu each for 'executive seats'. Other than the Porto end the stadium was far from sold out, so I assume sales were restricted to make sure Porto fans didn't buy 'home' tickets (unless they had 55eu to spare).

A great strike in the first half won the game, but it was the atmosphere generated by the Porto fans that made it a memorable night rather than the game itself. Non-stop rhythmic singing, flags, flares and fireworks. The stadium is great too, hemmed in by high buildings and with four steep stands which helped amplify the noise and mmake you feel close to the action.

Reports, photos and the usual stuff is all on my blog http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.com/

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

gulliver
Youth Team Regular

Nov 15, 2019, 11:18 AM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 5 (670 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steveb] Porto area trip, 8-10 November [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just out of interest how much did you pay for taxis? I decided against a visit to Penafiel a couple of years due to not wanting to walk on unpaved roads from the station, similarly, at the time, Famalicao was awkward on public transport. Being alone I didn't bother taking a taxi and went elsewhere but for future reference it might be an option.

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 15, 2019, 11:41 AM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #3 of 5 (654 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gulliver] Porto area trip, 8-10 November [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Just out of interest how much did you pay for taxis? I decided against a visit to Penafiel a couple of years due to not wanting to walk on unpaved roads from the station, similarly, at the time, Famalicao was awkward on public transport. Being alone I didn't bother taking a taxi and went elsewhere but for future reference it might be an option.

Can’t remember how much we paid from Penafiel station. Between Rio Ave and Famalicao was about 30eu from memory, maybe a bit less, but we added a tip. 25eu from Penafiel to Pacos de Ferreira (no tip, not for that driving). The longest ride was 50eu from Pacos back into central Porto.

We knew in advance there’d be some long taxi journeys, but on balance we decided it was a better option than hiring a car.

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 15, 2019, 4:05 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #4 of 5 (594 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gulliver] Porto area trip, 8-10 November [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

I haven't been to Penafiel, but I was sufficiently intrigued by your post to have a look at the satellite photo, and as you say, there is a lack of pavements on some of the walking route from Penafiel train station. On the other hand, it appears to be no more than two miles from the station (perhaps a little less) and if there is daylight after the game, then that might be tolerable for some.

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Star

Nov 18, 2019, 10:39 PM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #5 of 5 (327 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steveb] Porto area trip, 8-10 November [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Really excellent post, it sounds like you had a cracking weekend. Certainly better than the weekend my four workmates and I had in Porto in 2005.
We had tickets lined up for Porto v Benfica for the Saturday night, via a contact in the Porto ticket office. Flights and hotel booked, flying out Saturday morning and returning home Monday night. Game Saturday night, brilliant we thought, what can go wrong?
The Monday before we departed came an email from our contact at FC Porto. The game was now moved to Monday evening for live TV. Great, we fly home on Monday evening. However, she helpfully advised that Boavista were home that night and we would easily get tickets.
And we did easily get tickets, along with about 3000 others in a 30,000 capacity stadium, we saw a dismal 0-0 against Lieria. I can recall nothing of the game other than loads of rolling around by players of both sides.
Undeterred, we ventured the following day to watch Biera Mar play Rio Ave and saw a game of similar ilk and another goalless draw in front of a tiny crowd in a vast stadium.
Fortunately the watering holes in Porto were used to seek solace throughout the trip, including the Boavista supporters bar where we received a great welcome. Another bar I recall sold draught beer that had scotch already in it so it was not a total waste of time.
To cap it all, as waited at Porto airport to await departure, we managed to watch the first half of the Porto / Benfica game, and still never saw a goal!

I am glad your trip was better than ours!

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3