Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Sunday 10th November 2019

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Star

Nov 10, 2019, 4:51 PM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #1 of 26 (3466 views)
Shortcut
Sunday 10th November 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Leyton Orient 1 Maldon & Tiptree 2
FA Cup 1st Round. Att; 3,425 (Away 657)
Admission £20 for the ‘Legends lounge, central seat behind the benches with access to the lounge. Otherwise it was a tenner. Programme £3 for 60 pages, decent effort.

Probably the biggest upset I have seen in any football match, with the visitors winning at Brisbane Road in their first ever game in the FA Cup ‘Proper’ rounds. As a lapsed Os fan, I have to say they deserved it. Although at times they rode their luck when defending, they did so gallantly and when going forward they had players who were happy to try a shot, and who knew how to put a shot on target.
Orient started strong, and had plenty of possession but never really tested the keeper. Craig Clay fired horrendously wide when in a good position and on the counter Maldon and Tiptree were a threat, in particular their No 7, Danny Parish. He had already forced one good save when he opened the scoring just before half time with a fine run and finish low down as the Orient defence retreated.
The second half started with Orient having a go but too many times the final ball was poor or the ball was scrambled away. Orient never really looked confident going forward, and the visitors defence was organised and frequently had all 11 behind the ball. With 25 to go Orient lost possession when attacking and the ball found M&T top scorer Jerome Slew who ran and ran and held off a couple of half hearted challenges before beating the keeper low down again. Orient responded straight away when Matt Harold headed down for James Dayton to lift the ball past the keeper and it was game on again. However, although there were a couple of almighty scrambles the Jammers held on to take their place in the next round. Even playing the final 8 or so minutes with ten players after Parrish received a second yellow for diving, they kept their nerve.
It was interesting to see how a team that last year won the conference (9 of the starting line up were regulars last year) were so shot of confidence and lacked flair, creativity and a desire to have a pop. I fully understand the tragic death of Justin Edinburgh hit the club hard, however it appears the club have ‘Hit the wall’ massively. Carl Fletcher was not a popular appointment and after today I can see why. Early days, but this was a must win game.
But, today was all about Maldon & Tiptree. They had a game plan, played to their strengths and embarrassed Orient. They had players with flair, pace and no mean ability, and although they understandably tired late on,
Having been brought up in Essex and officiated at Maldon & Tiptree’s ground, when they were Maldon Town, and at the old ground on Fambridge Road, it was a tie that fascinated me enough to attend my first game at Brisbane Road in over 5 years. Nothing I saw today will tempt me back soon, although to be fair I am not sure much would have.

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Nov 10, 2019, 5:15 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #2 of 26 (3424 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] Sunday 10th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Burton & District Division 1. KO 10:30. (F&N). Crowd 10.

Navigation 3 v 7 Waterloo Athletic

Plated at Eton Community Park just a couple of hundred yards from Burton Albion. Basic facility, just one pitch with changing rooms. Some seating in the form of park benches. Pitch excellent considering the current weather, which today was dry and sunny.

Waterloo move into 2nd place with the win today. Navi made a fight of it, levelling at 1-1 and pulling back to 3-4 but Waterloo were always in control. Referee had a good game too. Entertaining, very little in the way of dubious tackles and generally played in a good spirit.

Alfreton QTS Division 2. KO 14:00. (F&N). Crowd 22.

South Normanton Villa 1 v 6 Pinxton United

Played at Broadmeadows Recreation Ground and the only game on in this league. Hardly surprising given the weather in that area. Pitch was extremely soft but the ref and both teams happy to play on this sunny afternoon.

Pinxton scored twice in the first 10 minutes but didn't add to their tally until the 29th. Villa pulled goal back but conceded again a couple of minutes later. The second half was rather dull, perhaps the energy sapping conditions were taking their toll. Eventually United added their 5th, a soft shot the keeper should have saved and their last was a deflected free kick.

No football action next Sunday as I have to go to a wedding !

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 10, 2019, 5:44 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #3 of 26 (3323 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Sunday 10th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Is the reception in a Wetherspoons?

aiwa
Reserve Team Regular

Nov 10, 2019, 6:03 PM

Team(s):

Post #4 of 26 (3263 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] Sunday 10th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Leyton Orient 1 Maldon & Tiptree 2
FA Cup 1st Round. Att; 3,425 (Away 657)
Admission £20 for the ‘Legends lounge, central seat behind the benches with access to the lounge. Otherwise it was a tenner. Programme £3 for 60 pages, decent effort.

Probably the biggest upset I have seen in any football match, with the visitors winning at Brisbane Road in their first ever game in the FA Cup ‘Proper’ rounds. As a lapsed Os fan, I have to say they deserved it. Although at times they rode their luck when defending, they did so gallantly and when going forward they had players who were happy to try a shot, and who knew how to put a shot on target.
Orient started strong, and had plenty of possession but never really tested the keeper. Craig Clay fired horrendously wide when in a good position and on the counter Maldon and Tiptree were a threat, in particular their No 7, Danny Parish. He had already forced one good save when he opened the scoring just before half time with a fine run and finish low down as the Orient defence retreated.
The second half started with Orient having a go but too many times the final ball was poor or the ball was scrambled away. Orient never really looked confident going forward, and the visitors defence was organised and frequently had all 11 behind the ball. With 25 to go Orient lost possession when attacking and the ball found M&T top scorer Jerome Slew who ran and ran and held off a couple of half hearted challenges before beating the keeper low down again. Orient responded straight away when Matt Harold headed down for James Dayton to lift the ball past the keeper and it was game on again. However, although there were a couple of almighty scrambles the Jammers held on to take their place in the next round. Even playing the final 8 or so minutes with ten players after Parrish received a second yellow for diving, they kept their nerve.
It was interesting to see how a team that last year won the conference (9 of the starting line up were regulars last year) were so shot of confidence and lacked flair, creativity and a desire to have a pop. I fully understand the tragic death of Justin Edinburgh hit the club hard, however it appears the club have ‘Hit the wall’ massively. Carl Fletcher was not a popular appointment and after today I can see why. Early days, but this was a must win game.
But, today was all about Maldon & Tiptree. They had a game plan, played to their strengths and embarrassed Orient. They had players with flair, pace and no mean ability, and although they understandably tired late on,
Having been brought up in Essex and officiated at Maldon & Tiptree’s ground, when they were Maldon Town, and at the old ground on Fambridge Road, it was a tie that fascinated me enough to attend my first game at Brisbane Road in over 5 years. Nothing I saw today will tempt me back soon, although to be fair I am not sure much would have.

Don't want to start a new thread about Maldon & Tiptree (and I apologise for going off-topic) but how are M&T holding on to their star players? At my local Step 4 club, the moment any player demonstrates ability and capacity to play at a higher level they're offered better terms at one of the nearby Step 3 or 2 clubs, and off they understandably go. M&T's record this season is near-perfect so their players must be interesting other clubs.

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Star

Nov 10, 2019, 6:11 PM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #5 of 26 (3224 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aiwa] Sunday 10th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I would argue it is probably pound notes, although I have no idea re their budget.
I think now, with the exposure of today against higher placed opposition, they may struggle to hold on to one or two.

The Moose
First Team Star

Nov 10, 2019, 6:11 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 26 (3224 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dave 56] Sunday 10th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

F.A. CUP 1st Rnd: CHIPPENHAM TOWN 0 NORTHAMPTON TOWN 3

TKT: £13. PROG: £2.50. ATT: 2,625

No shocks yes’day so there had to be one today. Indeed there was, but no one told anyone in North Wilts it was to be at Harnish. Chip’num had an attack of stage fright in the first half, standing off watching the professionals do their thing. Cobblers put the game to bed with a third just before half time. To be fair, the Bluebirds got stuck in during the second half, but too little too late.

Biggest crowd I’ve ever seen in the place, meant decent viewing places were at a premium. Last week there was only 484 here, so a lot of glory hunters rather than regular footy fans. At least the home club made a few bob, but the atmosphere was a tad flat really. Took us sometime to get away afterwards, so perhaps I should’ve gone via the local train station but hey ho! Well done to the Cobblers, who fully deserved their comfortable victory.

KRTM :-)

hemelhopper
First Team Star

Nov 10, 2019, 6:32 PM

Team(s): Hemel Hempstead Town FC, Trust Portsmouth FC and The Reds of Cincinnati

Post #7 of 26 (3182 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Moose] Sunday 10th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Crofton Saints 2-0 Daedalus Old Boys (Gosport, Fareham and Solent Football League, John Norton Memorial Cup, 1R)
- played at Seafield Park Recreation Ground, Illustrious Road, Hill Head, Fareham from 11.10am

Att – 11 (h/c); Entry – none; Prog and refreshment not available
Weather – a drying wind and soft on top; Travel – M27 and in from a Titchfield direction
Colours – Saints in all blue with white stripes .. Old Boys in red tops and black shorts

Well with the passing rain and uncertainty of who may be playing, it was just a case of going out on a selected route and stopping off until a game was found .. luckily the first on the list was playing, at a conventional recreation ground opened by Trevor Brooking back in the summer of 2008 .. just a single pavilion and three grass pitches .. today’s game the only one set up and being played on the furthest patch nearest the Solent .. nicely surrounded in trees but with no furniture, save for a couple of park benches.

Always a respectful moment in this League on Remembrance Sunday, as games kick off after eleven o’clock and allows all to come together, to pay our respects .. the sound of cannon fire in the distance marking the two-minute silence .. our teams motionless on the arcs of centre circle .. a silent reminder of how we are all able to enjoy another day, thanks to those who went before.

The Saints were wearing their Brighton colours (they always do) but given the similar nickname to a team up the road, it’s always a puzzle .. still with more seagulls (looking for worms) than players on the pitch .. I guess they all felt at home .. as they of Division 1 welcomed in Division 2 opponents, in one of the various cup competitions played over the season.

As for the game, very well contested .. thought Saints would take this one easily but respect to the Old Boys (not all were) .. as they made a good show of it and restricted play to many a shot passing the wrong side of post and taking a blocked shot when needed .. with the goals going in on 16 minutes, when a slide pass through defence was dispatched calmly into top left .. then on 76, when mistimed tackle allowed forward to move onto loose ball and slot home into bottom left.

Amongst it all we had a Saints goal that wasn’t .. when on 77 a smart cross from the left was re-directed at a defender behind the goal line .. the Ref and Lino not in the best of positions but as I was (alongside) .. definitely a good couple of ball width’s over the line .. but just not given. Whilst up the other end, the Old Boys were given a penalty late on for a tripped forward but their chance was softly hit, to allow keeper to save down to his left .. all very enjoyable though and a fair result over the ninety minutes .. as we moved off home to find Mrs hh, who was happily snoozing away on the sofa .. Tongue

Grounds = 638, Leagues done = 15 (37 to go); Games (19/20) = 102; New Grounds (19/20) = 82; Goals (19/20) = 441; Ave goals/game = 4.32; Last new ground = Bourton Rovers; Next = Tues 10th Dec 2019

leohoenig
Administrator

Nov 10, 2019, 8:11 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #8 of 26 (2864 views)
Shortcut
Re: [aiwa] Sunday 10th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Regional 3, Group B, Pays de la Loire
Stade Olympique du Maine 1-4 Chalonnes Chaudefonds Football
Admission Free. Attendance ~40
Coffee + Cake for me, Fanta + Sandwich with Nutella for boy - €5 total.

Welcome to the Stade de California, as I wish a sign at the entrance had said. Sadly, this is actually the Parc des Sports de la Californie, and all you get is a map of the various pitch locations.

Glad to get out to a game, with the weather here having been wet all week I soon discovered that all Regional games in Normandie and as far as I could see District games in Orne were off.

A little to the south, things were different in Pays de la Loire. Still with the weather threatening and it being very busy at home, I wanted to choose one at a short distance and in the end settled for a 50 minutes drive to Mans. I spent some time checking and some of the games were on plastic pitches which were the second in their complex - and hence likely not to have cover. Some appeared to have been switched from the prime pitch to an adjacent plastic one.

SOM have the artificial surface as first choice, and hence despite their lowly league position, they got my vote.

The Parc des Sports Calaforie is pretty good. The artificial surface to surrounded by a tarmac path, which has been marked out as four (narrow) running lanes, which also have very tight corners as they are square to the pitch. On one side there is a sizable modern stand, well elevated and with all the entrances from behind. A small wooden hut to one side of this provides refreshments. Up above the pitch, close to where we parked the car is a clubhouse which has the name of the club, indicating it can be used by the team. In Belgium or Germany, this would be part of the heart of the club, but here it is closed on match day, while one can see through the windows the decoration for an 8th Birthday party.

Stade Olympique have had a miserable start to the season. They have conceded 18 goals in their first four league games, and scored only one. Naturally, no points have been accrued. They have also been dumped out of the two major cups at the first hurdle. In the Coupe de France, defeat by a team at their own level was by 6-0, while ES Champfleur, two levels lower than SOM beat them 3-1 in the Coupe Pays de la Loire.

It was clear within minutes that they were not very good - with Chalonnes laying siege to their goal from the first minute. Within a few minutes they had a free kick just outside the area. As the referee pushed the wall back, the home side added an extra man, with the referee then having to tell a visiting player to move away to keep the one meter distance. Chalonnes had apparently lined up one player to take it, but he dummied and instead Victor Roy make a low (and not hard) shot that went through the gap where his own player had been moved away, clipped the inside of the post and rolled into the goal.

By the ten minute mark, it was 2-0 and a third was added before the half hour mark. Clearly, Chaudefonds could have added many more. That they did not was a result of throttling back. It was also notable that some of their teamwork dropped off with players more likely to take a pot at goal.

Just before the break, for only the second time while I have watched, a player was sin-binned, (for disputing an offside decision). The referee made it very clear, pointing to the benches after showing a yellow card, but the player obviously did not know the rule. He had to be told to put on a training bib and wait by the bench and then after the break he was told again that he could not enter the play for another six minutes.

Credit to the home side, they never gave up trying. All in all, the visitors found it quite easy to push their attacking moves away from goal, and to dispossess the attackers. Midway through the second half, subsitute Kevin Boidy managed to find a shot that brought out a good save from the away team's keeper and then a couple of minutes later he was beaten by a shot from Bailo Diallo.

This brought out a lot of applause from the small crowd, many of which appeared to be players from the club's other teams, (the second team was playing on the pitch when we arrived)

Chalonnes were never really at risk though and they added another with just over ten to play.

Rolling subs, and each side made six changes - although in this case one did not feel that the rules were abused for match management.

Overall, this felt more like an English non-League game than many I have seen in France, thanks to the fact that both sides wanted to commit the ball forward at all times. The rain kept off for the afternoon as well and I was back indoors by 6.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

(This post was edited by leohoenig on Nov 10, 2019, 8:13 PM)

Scottishyeltz
Junior Team Sub

Nov 10, 2019, 8:22 PM

Post #9 of 26 (2824 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Sunday 10th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Please kindly refrain from posting reports from local amateur league sides. Nobody really cares or wants to read them. Thanks.

In Reply To

Bradshaw
Youth Team Star

Nov 10, 2019, 8:40 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC., Black Country non-league; The F.A.Vase

Post #10 of 26 (2772 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hemelhopper] Sunday 10th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

F.A.Cup 1st Round
Macclesfield Town 0 Kingstonian 4
Only Chichester have collected the thirty odd grand prize money for this round more comfortably than Kingstonian, such was the Surrey side's utter dominance over a scratch home side. Macc.'s troubles should be common knowledge now to all on this forum with their staff on strike through unpaid wages. Today's team featured a mixture of hastily acquired loanees and youth team players who were no match for the Ks who had the game wrapped up with two goals inside the opening ten minutes. Visiting fans made up around 25% of the sub thousand crowd and 100% of the atmosphere. The sole chant we heard from disgruntled home supporters was a group outside the ground, boycotting matches and demanding the exit of the owner. No doubt it was one of these protesters who saw the current team as strike breakers and who tweeted that they should never play for the club again. Indeed there was little encouragement from the fans inside the ground for the efforts of the kids who tried their best but were never likely to trouble the K's dominance.Such is the Silkmen's plight that the pitch had not been cut or marked out since the last home game and I was informed by one disheartened home fan that a local doctor's surgery had supplied a physio so the game could go ahead. Sad days indeed for the club. We can only hope we don not have another Bury on our hands.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Nov 10, 2019, 9:15 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #11 of 26 (2642 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Scottishyeltz] Sunday 10th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Please kindly refrain from posting reports from local amateur league sides. Nobody really cares or wants to read them. Thanks.

In Reply To

What a bizarre post. Are you speaking for me and others like me then ?

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Nov 10, 2019, 9:30 PM

Post #12 of 26 (2576 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Sunday 10th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

-------------------------------

Not quite ! The ceremony and reception are in a restaurant and music bar. The Wetherspoons is 50 yards away !!

hemelhopper
First Team Star

Nov 10, 2019, 9:30 PM

Team(s): Hemel Hempstead Town FC, Trust Portsmouth FC and The Reds of Cincinnati

Post #13 of 26 (2575 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Scottishyeltz] Sunday 10th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Thank you for your comments Scottishyeltz .. if your remarks were directed at my post above, please confirm and I'll stop posting on "Where did you go ".. keep enjoying your football.

Grounds = 638, Leagues done = 15 (37 to go); Games (19/20) = 102; New Grounds (19/20) = 82; Goals (19/20) = 441; Ave goals/game = 4.32; Last new ground = Bourton Rovers; Next = Tues 10th Dec 2019

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 10, 2019, 9:39 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #14 of 26 (2526 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

-------------------------------

Not quite ! The ceremony and reception are in a restaurant and music bar. The Wetherspoons is 50 yards away !!

Excellent. Enjoy the day, Dave. :-)

gcnc
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 10, 2019, 9:40 PM

Team(s): Newport County

Post #15 of 26 (2519 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hemelhopper] Sunday 10th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Thank you for your comments Scottishyeltz .. if your remarks were directed at my post above, please confirm and I'll stop posting on "Where did you go ".. keep enjoying your football.

It might be better if Scottishyeltz stopped posting. If he/she doesnt like reports on 'local amateur league sides', they are on the wrong site.

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Nov 10, 2019, 10:05 PM

Post #16 of 26 (2435 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Before replying I thought I would take a look at the 21 posts you have made in just over four and a half years. Generally of a negative nature and contributing little or nothing to the forum.

This is basically a non league football forum, the clue is in the title. However some contributors post about Football League sides, they are quite welcome to do so. There are many posts I don't read but have never suggested that they are of no interest to anyone and your comment is quite arrogant to assume you speak on behalf of all posters.

(This post was edited by Dave 56 on Nov 10, 2019, 10:06 PM)

Ipeland
First Team Sub

Nov 11, 2019, 12:46 AM

Team(s): Bolton Wanderers, local non-league teams

Post #17 of 26 (2192 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

I personally enjoy them so keep posting everyone. It is a non-league forum after all.

Gateshead 1-2 Oldham Athletic (0-1 HT) at Gateshead International Stadium
FA Cup 1st Round
Admission: £7 (student), Programme: Sold out, Cheese and onion slice: £2.50
Attendance: 2,199 (772 away)

Another trip out with the non-league society, reduced turnout for this one due to people being in work/hungover with the early kick off not helping matters. Decent game, one of the better ones I've seen here. Gateshead should've won or at least got a replay but didn't take their chances, the Oldham keeper pulled off a few blinding saves as well. Oldham only really had 3 or 4 chances at scoring and did not look like a team two leagues above Gateshead, the winning goal was a cracking shot though. No changes to the ground since last visit, away fans were in one of the stands behind the goal instead of opposite the home fans like normal, not sure why. Went to the Schooner afterwards, nice pub but busy after the game so we only had a pint and went back to the Hancock for the Liverpool v City game.

Grounds visited: 303
Last new ground: Broadfields Stadium (Crawley Town)
Next planned fixture: Unsure

dottirofhod

Nov 11, 2019, 3:51 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #18 of 26 (2151 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Presume your talking about ''Pub football'', despite agreeing with you we are just a few. Others take great delight in the tick and feel they need to tell everybody and there are interested readers / carers on here to take it all in. Can't you just ignore like I do ? Have the powers that rule let you back on 'Pie & Bovril' yet or are you still banned ? Still lusting after the Corrie girls ?

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 127 / 107 / 20 / 5 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 07 / 12 / 2019 . Belgium top 5 tiers 0-0-0-(0-1-0)-(0-1-1-2) / Holland top 4 tiers - 0-0-0-(0-0) / Lux top 2 tiers 0 -2. England top 10 tiers - 0. Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

timmy tabby
First Team Star

Nov 11, 2019, 6:32 AM

Post #19 of 26 (2062 views)
Shortcut

...And another at Brisbane Road for Leyton Orient 1 v 2 Maldon & Tiptree United, for what was probably be my most significant FA Cupset since the heady Tim Buzaglo fuelled day of West Bromwich Albion 2 v 4 Woking,

Hugely impressed by M&T, they were quick to break out of defence and effective going forward but above all else what they possessed is this much bandied concept of 'belief'. Not surprising that this prevails after such a wonderful start to the season where they only match they have failed to win was a M Mouse ILC contest that they lost on penalties. Towards the end admittedly there was plenty of time wasting and Danny Parish's stupid ill timed dive in trying to con the man in black to award a penalty that earned him a second yellow ruined what had been an outstanding performance.

In contrast the hosts were devoid of ideas with short pass after short pass holding the mistaken idea that an opening will appear at some point. Joe Widdowson was purposeful on the left and sent over a couple of decent crosses that required a toe but which were just a few inches too far in front and for the minutes that he was on James Dayton played with a degree of commitment that many of his colleagues lacked. However, from this angle there were too many home players that turned up expecting an easy match but then when it failed to materialise could not collectively change their pattern of play. Early days but Mr Fletcher is hardly proving to be a popular appointment as the loud cries of 'Fletcher Out!!' that were very audible at the end.

No wish to repeat ad infinitum Big Aitches excellent resume but both Maldon's goals were classic examples of counter attacking play stretching the home defence in a manner that at the start they never expected. It was of concern the retreat shown as Charlee Hughes attacked the defence and laid the ball inside to Parish to place between Sam Sargent and the near post for the opener and for the defining second goal. Jerome Slew's run and shot will no doubt be shown constantly between now and May 2020 as an example of the 'Magic of the Cup' but what was also of concern was the complete inability of the home defence to attempt to slow down the run.

Periodically, there had been hints of urgency from Orient but they were short lived. Dayton's lift over Ben McNamara for the goal that halved the deficit gave the mistaken belief that the contest could be 'turned around' but there were only a few flurries of excitement notably when Josh Wright's close range stab rebounded off of McNamara with him knowing little to nothing about it.

Sure that the Maldon entourage will enjoy their Warholian 'Fifteen Minutes of Fame' before FA Trophy reality strikes on Wednesday and let us hope that some of the 600+ supporters that travelled from the banks of the River Blackwater and for the benefit of the cameras provided a good ol' fashioned pitch invasion at the end find their way to the Wallace Binder on a slightly more regular basis. However, regrettably we already know the answer to that question.

Was originally reticent about visiting for what was the first trip to watch a contest involving a FL club in nearly four years but ultimately glad that I did for what will undoubtedly be one of the highlights of this season. Reasonable seat in the West Stand was a mere tenner and the locals seemed not to care that it was obvious that I wanted to see an upset.

From then on it was a wasted half hour around Westside before the second highlight of the day in the form of Rupert Cavendish live in Welling for his repertoire of Carmarthenshire/FAW anecdotes......

mxhornet
First Team Star

Nov 11, 2019, 7:34 AM

Team(s): Watford, Celtic, Ajax, Kings Lynn Town and all local ladies teams.

Post #20 of 26 (1967 views)
Shortcut
Re: [timmy tabby] Sunday 10th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Norwich City Women Reserves - 1 Watford Ladies U23 - 11
FA Women's National League Reserve South East Division
The Nest (main pitch)
Attendance - 20ish
Free admission / no programme issued

On a day when plans were altered several times in advance and then again on the day, I ended up at a game I thought I'd have to miss. A rarity on a weekend when lots of games were off, this was switched from 3G to grass. Results so far this season suggested an away win but not the magnitude witnessed.
Watford off to quick start and 1-0 up after 5 minutes, no sign of the game being too one sided even when they extended this to 3-0 by 30 minutes, NC getting a goal back after 37 minutes. Even when it became 4-1 2 minutes in the second half I wasn't really expecting a rout but any chance of NC keeping the score respectable went with the 2 goals (58 & 60 minutes) to make it 6-1 heads really dropped and Watford were 10-1 up by 78 minutes and added an eleventh after 84 minutes.
I don't really enjoy such one-sided games but this was more bearable as it was a Watford side winning.

Watford FC supporter hence the name also follow Hull FC but rarely get to see either these days.

Have now visited over 800 grounds, progress in recent years has been rather slow and will continue to be as things stand.

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 11, 2019, 8:29 AM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #21 of 26 (1904 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Twenty-one posts. That apparently gives you the right to dictate what other forum members can post on here does it? What level do you consider it OK to post? I personally have no interest in Sunday League football, or women's football, or even French regional leagues. But there's an easy way to deal with those reports..... don't read them. I do have an interest in local Saturday amateur football and will continue to post my WDYG reports of Devon & Exeter League Division 5. Just for you, Yeltz.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

prorege

Nov 11, 2019, 8:53 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #22 of 26 (1842 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Sunday 10th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

West of Scotland Junior Cup Round 1
Cumbernauld United v Kilbirnie Ladeside, 2-2, 2-4 pens, Att 183 (h/c), Admission £6, Programme £1, Chieftain Pie £2, Pint of Lager £2.80
At Guy’s Meadow, Cumbernauld

I can vaguely remember when half the West Junior fixtures were on a Saturday and half on a Sunday (1970-73) but since then Sunday games, other than Cup Finals, have been a novelty. Two clubs, Greenock and Cumbernauld, opted for a Sunday fixture today, in a remarkable break from tradition. If Cumbernauld were hoping for a bumper attendance they were to be disappointed – and around half of the crowd was made up of visitors from Kilbirnie.

Those clad in back and gold were soon in a state of apoplexy and a few were visibly demonstrating the paucity of the Glengarnock gene pool. Cumbernauld quickly took a two goal lead despite losing a player in the early stages with a broken wrist. Kilbirnie have been struggling of late. They went out of the Junior Cup to Gartcairn and defeat so early in the only other major Cup open to them was unthinkable.

The visitors did finally get their act together to come back and equalise. It owed more to the fitness deficiencies of the home side who were breathing out of their backsides by the hour mark. Not surprisingly the team who finished stronger went on to win the penalty shoot out. The Cumbernauld keeper missed the last and decisive kick, blootering it skyward in the general direction of Cumbernauld Village.

In three days I saw matches in the Lowland League, East of Scotland Premiership and a Cup tie between two of the better West Junior sides. The best football and overall highest standard was quite clearly the East of Scotland League game. I have been so disappointed with the general standard of the West Juniors that I have seen this season – a pale shadow of what they used to be.

Of course two bad teams can make for an entertaining game and that is what we observed at Guy’s Meadow. Misplaced passes, badly timed tackles and elephantine first touches are great for the banter but there was no getting away from the fact that the standard was poor.

Guy’s Meadow has always bene one of my favourite West Junior grounds, possibly because it is almost in the East. That’s not really true – O like iot because it has plenty cover, easy parking, good views and a fine little bar. To that list can now be added the homemade Chieftain Pie, the creation of the lady behind the bar. It’s a tasty creation with a layer of mince and a layer of haggis in a crisp pastry shell with a puff pastry lid. It’s at least a nine out of ten and definitely the best non-steak pie sample so far this season. Clubs from the West are often lazy with their pie offerings but this was wonderful pie-artistry at its best.

Cumbernauld have bewn issuing regular programmes this season – identical in style to the ones they flirted with briefly around ten years ago. Hopefully this venture lasts more than one season as it is informative and definitely enhances the spectating experience.

Small turnout of enthusiasts for this one including Leeds Phil and the chap from South Wales with the camper van.

Chris1963

Nov 11, 2019, 3:51 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #23 of 26 (1200 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Sunday 10th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not a new ground but a revisit (only just) to Beaconsfield Road for Hayes & Yeading 0 Oxford United 2 (H/T 0-1)

As this was a rare opportunity to watch Oxford United play on a Sunday, I would have been very disappointed had I not been able to obtain a ticket for this match. I did eventually manage to obtain one, but contrary to what I had expected, it was actually easier to purchase one from Oxford United than the home side. Despite the fact that Hayes & Yeading have been getting crowds of only around a hundred for some home games this season, they sold out of their allocation (which was exactly half of the ground’s capacity) very quickly before it reached a general sale. I expected the same thing to happen with Oxford United’s allocation, but surprisingly many of their season-ticket holders did not take up the opportunity to buy tickets in the relevant timescale, perhaps because tickets for next month’s home League Cup quarter-final against Manchester City went on sale to season-ticket holders at more or less the same time. Consequently, despite not being a season ticket holder, I was able to buy a ticket for the Hayes & Yeading game, and even more surprisingly it was a seat ticket rather than a standing ticket, despite the price (£15) being the same for both. Interestingly, as some of you will have noticed from the BBC2TV highlights on Sunday evening, there were many empty seats in the northern half of the stand, which was where the Oxford fans were. I think the reason for this was the bright but chilly weather, which encouraged many of the seat ticket holders to choose to stand in order to catch the sunlight, and as the same turnstiles were being used for the seating and standing areas, this would have been easy.

As for the game, how Oxford were leading by only one goal at half-time was nothing short of astonishing. Rarely have I seen a team dominate the first half as much as they did. The corner count for the first half alone was something like 12-0 in Oxford’s favour, and they hit the underside of the bar as well as putting countless shots high or wide. They also had a goal disallowed on spurious grounds, although that was before they scored their first half goal. However, Hayes & Yeading played a lot better in the second half and came close to equalizing on one or two occasions before Oxford settled matters by scoring a second goal.

One point I would like to make is that I can’t understand why Hayes and Yeading have wasted so much money on moving their pitch some ten yards south when the money could have been spent on providing covered terracing on the three sides of the ground, which would have given them an increased capacity for yesterday’s game. As things are, these three sides currently have nothing but flat tarmac standing areas around the pitch perimeter fence, and the only trace of the previous appearance of the ground is a brick building that stands a few yards behind the main stand, and which still has an old sign on it referring to another local football club that used to play there. The programme did say though that the club plan to use the profits from the game into improving the facilities in the main stand. I am not sure if the programme was their usual one but it was very impressive, being glossy and B5 sized like a FL programme and was priced at just £2. It was almost as good as the one that was issued when I saw Yeading lose at home to Newcastle United by a similar margin at QPR’s ground in another Sunday game some 15 years or so ago.

aicwhu
First Team Sub

Nov 11, 2019, 6:56 PM

Team(s): west ham

Post #24 of 26 (987 views)
Shortcut

Please kindly refrain from posting requests on my behalf
Thank you

Andrew Conway

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 11, 2019, 7:04 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #25 of 26 (973 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Sunday 10th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The corner count for the first half alone was something like 12-0 in Oxford’s favour.

...but I’ve got the feeling that Karl’s lot have yet to score a single goal from a corner all this season, so it doesn’t make much difference...

Anyhow, I was at...

FA Cup First Round
Wrexham 0-0 Rochdale

Entry: £15
Attendance: 3,274

...which was a much more entertaining match than nil-nils are usually given credit for. Rochdale played with an ability to spray the ball around the pitch, but it was Wrexham who showed some bite and passion, coming closest when they hit the underside of the bar in the first half. A good match and a fair result.

This is a lovely old-fashioned ground to visit, the only negative being the rusting and overgrown terrace kop being left to slowly rot away at the eastern end. I’ve heard Elis James on the Welsh football ‘Feast Of Football’ podcast talk about the potential of this terrace several times. If Exeter City can maintain a similar structure at their L2 ground, I’m not sure why Wrexham can’t manage the same here. It really is quite a sight, and for those who are interested, fans are allowed to walk across the bottom of it after the final whistle to reach exit gates on the opposite side of the pitch.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3