Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Where did you go?:
Saturday 9th November 2019

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

noprogs
First Team Star

Nov 9, 2019, 4:43 PM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 67 (8156 views)
Shortcut
Saturday 9th November 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yet another Saturday mystery tour.
Ian J and I thought we were going to Route One Rovers at Dixon Academy in Bradford, as the Morley Town secretary had confirmed the game was on at a 3g.There is indeed a 3g there, but it seems that Route One may now be playing at Zara academy.
We did not know this as the two teams came out for a game on the grass pitch, it turned out to be

Fairbank U 3 Lepton Highlanders 4
Yorkshire Amateur League

This is division one of this league, but actually its' fourth tier (supreme, premiership and championship) where Lepton have surfaced following the demise of the County Amateur League. They led early, and added a second early in the second period. Fairbank came back to 2-1 down and equalised at 3-3, only to lose in the last moments.
No holds barred and a perfectly playable pitch, and a decent,if unexpected,day out.

(This post was edited by noprogs on Nov 9, 2019, 4:54 PM)

The Moose
First Team Star

Nov 9, 2019, 5:46 PM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 67 (8062 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] Saturday 9th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

TROWBRIDGE & DIST. LGE DIV ONE: THREE DAGGERS 6 FRESHFORD 1

ADM / PROG: F & N. ATT: h/c 15

Up early enough to watch the monsoon weather start, so thought better of playing with the floods. Trip to Herefordshire can wait then, & decision made to stay local. After the nearby Western League games all bought the bullet, my final option with time running out, was the Leighton Rec in Westbury. Never realized that Wilts CCC play here too, next to the sports complex. Other than that, tiz just a pitch which was a tad sodden today, but never waterlogged. The ref was a hero for giving it a go, & he was rewarded by the rain stopping bang on kick off time.

Game wise, it was very one sided in the first half with Daggers 5-1 up fairly quickly. The second half just got niggly, with suspect challenges & a lot of abuse for the poor MIB from both sides. With both coaches giving him severe earache, no surprise really the young players just copy. Cue lots of effin & blinding, followed by my first sighting of a footy sin bin. Pointless really, as said player carried on abusing the official with his mates from the touchline.

After driving back last night, to get a call off at Keynsham eggchasing, I was just grateful really to find a game on. One of those anywhere will do kind of days. I’ve now seen the Daggers play at three different ‘home’ grounds. Previously they rented West Lavington, followed by Stanley Park in Chip’num. Considering they’re a pub team from Edington, they seem to be nomads, this year settling in Westbury. At least I got a new ground in, on a day when I didn’t expect it so still winning!

KRTM :-)

bluearmybob
First Team Sub

Nov 9, 2019, 6:11 PM

Team(s): Ipswich Town FC since April 11th 1966.Groundhopping since January 28th 1989

Post #3 of 67 (7981 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Moose] Saturday 9th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A walk down to Portman Rd. KO 3.00pm.

FA Cup 1st Round.

IPSWICH TOWN 1 (0) v (1) LINCOLN CITY 1.

Scorers.

Home. A Dozzell (79)

Away. T Walker (37)

Admission £10. Programme £2.50. Attendance 11,598. Away Fans 1,190.

GROUNDS VISITED.(382) NEW GROUNDS THIS SEASON 2019/20. (13)
GAMES THIS SEASON 2019/20. (23)
GAMES SINCE LAST 0-0. Ipswich Town v Wycombe Wanderers. 26/11/19. (2) BEST RUN OF NOT SEEING A 0-0. (61)
LEAGUES COMPLETED. Championship. League 1. Isthmian League North. ECL Premier Division. ECL Division 1 North. SCEFL Premier Division.
FOOTBALL SEEN IN:Bulgaria,Czech Republic,England,France,Greece,Guensey,Holland,Scotland,Switzerland,Turkey & Wales.

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Nov 9, 2019, 6:28 PM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #4 of 67 (7873 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Moose] Saturday 9th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FA Trophy 2Q

Gosport B. 4 Melksham T. 2

admission £11-00 Pirate programme £2-00 (also online) attendance est 280
8th in Southern Premier South v 17th in Southern Div 1 South
After heavy rain in the area from about 11-3, lots of games called off late. My first three choices bit the dust (water) late on, Fleetlands only 5 mins before kick-off Mad (also dodged an expensive bullet at Havant as the Hawks' game v Slough was abandoned) but Privett Park provided a surprisingly good pitch for a surprisingly good game, with Borough deserving to win, although they had a lot of help from the officials, notably the crucial 'goal that never was'.
The home team started will, with an attractive passing style which was just a little too slow to be really dangerous. Nevertheless, they took the lead in only the third minute with a a good cross from the left which was allowed to reach Paterson at the back post, who finished clinically. Two mins later a corner for the visitors was headed towards goal by Ford, it hit the bar and was cleared, with the visitors claiming a goal, to no avail. Straight up the other end another cross from the left was steered just wide by Paterson. Another Melksham corner was then half-cleared to Romanski, whose shot was just over. Another flowing Borough move saw a last-ditch tackle preventing their second goal. But again the visitors broke and a superb turn by Ball set up Ojo on the left; his powerful shot produced a great save from O'Flaherty, pushing the bar against the bar and over. Ojo came close again soon afterwards, a cross-shot being deflected just wide of the far post. After this the game calmed down a bit, a couple of injuries in a competitive game disrupting the flow. But Borough came good again as the half ended, a delightful chip over the defence setting up Lewis to finish well. The visitors were insistent that Lewis was offside, and, given the linesman's previous decisions over there, there was a fair chance that they had a case. In injury time John ran through, aided by a lucky bounce, but he shot just wide, so it stayed at HT 2-0.
After the break a good move down the right saw Lewis narrowly miss at the near post for the home team, but on 50 mins the visitors pulled a goal back, Ballinger's free-kick being deflected into the corner of the net. Ballinger had another shot saved soon afterwards as the visitors looked dangerous. But on 54 mins Borough went 3-1 up; a cross from the right was met by Flood, his shot hit the post and came back into the arms of keeper Bartlett. Because it had stopped raining we were standing pretty level with the goalline and there is no way that the ball crossed the line. But the linesman gave it and despite heated protests, the goal stood. Several of us, mostly favouring the home team, saw this incident and all agreed it was not even close to being a goal. The visitors then pulled it back to 3-2 on 58 mins, a quick free-kick finding Ford in space to finish coolly. The game was bubbling up nicely, and we had a few tasty tackles and some choice words bandied around. Borough had a chance when Roberts headed wide from a free-kick; for the visitors, a long shot by Hurley was save and a chip by Thompson was just over. On 88 mins came the clinching goal, a good break down the right, a good cross, and Paterson was one of three forwards waiting to score as the visitors were stretched to the limit. Shades of the 1966 World Cup Final.... O'Flaherty still had time to make another save and Paterson had two chances to grab a hat-trick, once he was crowded out and once he hit the side netting - but Borough go through to the next round in a closer game than I and they, had probably reckoned with.
No changes at Privett Park since my last visit - £11-00 is in my opinion still too high for this level, although the entertainment value made it worth it today.

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on Nov 9, 2019, 7:55 PM)

Dribble!
First Team Sub

Nov 9, 2019, 6:32 PM

Team(s): Ipswich Town

Post #5 of 67 (7852 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bluearmybob] Saturday 9th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also at the Ipswich - Lincoln FA Cup game - 10 changes for Ipswich, so no surprise that our long run of not winning a FA Cup games goes on!

Last New ground; Benhall St Mary, Games in 2019/20 Season; 61, New Grounds this Season; 30, Next scheduled game: Ipswich Town v Coventry City - FAC (10/12/19)
http://portmanroadtothesansiro.blogspot.co.uk/

Ashtree RockBee
First Team Star

Nov 9, 2019, 6:38 PM

Team(s): Ashford Town (Middlesex), Bognor Regis Town, Brentford

Post #6 of 67 (7824 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dribble!] Saturday 9th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Surrey Elite Intermediate League –
Horsley 5 Spartans Youth 2
Spectator guesstimate 19
Admission free, no programme
Pint of Goldmark 4.0% “Liquid Gold” £3.50, coffee £1, Pringles £1

Going to an early evening gig in Staines meant I needed a local early kick-off. This 18-mile half-hour jaunt fitted the bill.

Horsley’s Toms Field home is situated in West Horsley, two miles off the A3 southbound towards Guildford but the journey from the A3 to the ground is so countrified you wouldn’t know it.

The ground is bordered on two sides by chunky white fencing but just one-and-a-half sided for spectators (no access past the fenced goal), with the Toms Field end inaccessible and the flank opposite the clubhouse / car park side completely lined by beautiful trees Loxwood-style. I was told the club are hoping to buy the field behind these trees to expand their facilities, with a view to upgrading the ground to Combined Counties level in the next few years.

The clubhouse side has about 20 seats in two pavement-level rows next to the dugouts, and a quaint wooden overhang by the corner nearest the fenced goal provides cover for about 20. My crowd estimate is only for those standing in the elements – I couldn’t see from my vantage point, but people may well have watched from inside the clubhouse or inside their cars, which are separated from the hard standing by some white barriers.

This was a really good game in awful conditions. Horsley were on top for the first and last ‘quarters’ with the middle half of the game end to end. No thought of a draw from either team. A word here on Spartans Youth’s change kit, which includes pink-edged white numbers on white shirt backs! I didn’t get the teams so I’ll list the goals thus…

1-0, 3rd minute – close range shot saved by the keeper’s legs but the rebound was sent across goal and tapped in by the number 11 from about ten feet
2-0, 18th – a clatter in the box led to a penalty from Horsley’s number 10 (positively identified as Tom Henzi) which the keeper saved, but a bit of pinball ensued from which Henzi scrambled the ball home
2-1, 26th – best goal of the game, as a Youth midfielder waltzed past four players near the halfway line before sending a lovely weighted diagonal pass for a right wing cross hit low and thumped home by Youth number 11
2-2, 54th – a ‘through the needle’ pass from the right flank set the Youth number 9 up on a one-to-one slotted in from 10 yards
3-2, 61st – another right wing cross which Horsley’s number 2 appeared to score from by either blocking a clearance or just being hit by it
4-2, 74th – number 2 again, this time with a lovely 20 yard direct free kick low into the corner to the keeper’s left
5-2, 79th – free header from a near post corner, I think from Henzi (wrote the wrong number down in my notes!)

Glad to meet Totally Untamed, who was on his annual ‘get a game in near to the Woking Beer Festival’ visit to these parts and brought two friends along with him. Hope you enjoyed the quaffing!

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Nov 9, 2019, 6:47 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #7 of 67 (7779 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dribble!] Saturday 9th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FA Cup 1
Carshalton 1-4 Boston U
Att 1,859, adm £10, prog online

Two injury time goals after Carshalton had been pushing for an equaliser skewed this scoreline but Boston deserved their win. For the Robins this was another 45 minute performance but even then they too often lacked composure in good positions and, unusually, resorted to the long ball late on - particularly strange as this was food and drink to a Boston defence who had started to creak when they were attacked on the deck. I'll assume the occasion got to the home side because they're better than that.

Fair play to Boston, though, as well as their noisy few hundred fans. They gradually got on top of a nothing first half and two quick goals after the half hour put them in control at the break. They then weathered the storm, despite Pattisson deservedly pulling one back with 20 left, snuffed out the grandstand finish and clinically finished things off on the break in injury time.

With a choice of driving 100 miles to play the weather lottery or staying local for the magic of the cup (Carshalton's first appearance in the competition proper for 22 years), this was always going to get the nod from me today. Praise be for 3G as the rain didn't relent all afternoon. It didn't dampen cup fever though - the car park (which holds a fair few) and the two bars in the clubhouse were already full before 2pm, the telly cameras were here of course, and it was nice to see a big crowd under the vast covered terrace on the far side.

Incidentally admission here is only a fiver before 2pm. I might have made it if I hadn't had to divert to the overspill car park at the nearby girls high school, although it does have a short cut back to the ground.

chesterbird
Youth Team Regular

Nov 9, 2019, 6:52 PM

Team(s): Chester City, Liverpool FC,

Post #8 of 67 (7738 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] Saturday 9th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Emley 4 Daisy Hill 2
KO 15.00 Adm £5 Prog £1 Gate 151 & 3 dogs.

Here with Nigel. A quick half in the Vulcan before catching the bus to Emley.

Second v tenth and a home win would have seemed likely especially after Emley's early opener. Hill had other ideas though and gradually fought their way back into the match.

1 all at half time quickly became 1-2 as DH's 46th minute penalty put Hill in front and they looked as if they could have won the game.

The game changed with 15 minutes to go - Emley's no 9 banged home an equaliser on 75. Two minutes later he then scored his 3rd goal from the penalty spot - due to Daisy Hill's no 5 getting sent off for a foul. No 9 made it his 4th goal of the game 5 minutes from time for a quite comfortable win for Emley.

stingray
First Team Star

Nov 9, 2019, 7:07 PM

Team(s): Step 4/5 local sides

Post #9 of 67 (7677 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Saturday 9th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

South Midlands Premier
CRAWLEY GREEN 2-1 HAREFIELD UNITED
Admission £6.00 Prog online but not that bothered as I'm running short on space Tea, Coffee £1.00 each
Attendance - not given, but not that many and all under cover

A goal in each half for the homesters was enough to win this. After the second, the Hares finally woke up and pulled one back within a minute and had what they thought was the equaliser chalked off but they were too slow out of the starting blocks.

You could tell this was an artificial pitch by the kits which at the end looked as fresh and clean as they did at the start - a sharp contrast to my new-ish trainers Unsure

2019/20 stats

58 goals in 16 games
£161.15 spent

Armchair Libero
Youth Team Sub

Nov 9, 2019, 7:23 PM

Team(s): Wigan Athletic, Atherton Collieries

Post #10 of 67 (7589 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stingray] Saturday 9th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

NORTH GLOUCESTERSHIRE LEAGUE DIVISION ONE
Ellwood AFC 1 - 2 Milkwall

@ Bromley Road, Ellwood
att. 20
attempted to pay and was rebuffed
also given a free cup of tea by the barman

Hell of a journey for a non-driver - train to Gloucester then a 80 minute bus-ride (broken up by an hour in sodden Lydney) to Milkwall and then a mile walk - but worth it, as Ellwood's ground was well-appointed and in a beautiful setting. No real furniture save a folded over corrugated flap to keep the rain off, but the clubhouse was nice and had good wifi.

A very local derby here between the unbeaten away team and the so-so home side. It started scrappy and descended from there into niggles and fouls and attempted murders. The referee insisted on a linesman change after the away linesman was clearly flagging anything and yelling about decisions at the other end. Welcome to Tier 15, all hope is gone.

The two goals I managed to see were both Milkwall's, and came from the only coherent passages in a game full of miscues, false shots, sprayed passes, and errant headers. On balance they were the better side.

I had to dart and missed Ellwood's attempted fightback. Actually my bus was 50 minutes late and I could have stayed for post-match sandwiches but couldn't take the risk.

Anyway, it was nice to see my first English game this season in this beautiful setting.

FatCat
Junior Team Star

Nov 9, 2019, 7:44 PM

Team(s): Witham Town, Rochdale & West Ham United

Post #11 of 67 (7467 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Armchair Libero] Saturday 9th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Witham Town 1-2 Cambridge City (HT: 0-2)
Bet Victor Isthmian League North Division - Step 4

Admission: via season ticket, otherwise £8
Att: 114

What I believe was the first meeting between these two sides, at least competitively.
Cambridge took a two nil lead into the break, their second coming with basically the last kick of the first half.
Town played a much better second half and were unlucky to not get a point today.

osborne
First Team Sub

Nov 9, 2019, 7:50 PM

Team(s): Arnold Town/ Loughborough Dynamo

Post #12 of 67 (7432 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Armchair Libero] Saturday 9th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Shefford and Campton 4 Hillingdon Borough 1 South Midlands League Division 1
Admission £5/£2.50
Programme- free with entry.
Tea £1
h/c 46
The rain began to pour down as my Dad and I pulled into the car park. There is plenty of parking at the ground and the clubhouse is behind the goal. It's large but strangely short of seating. A burger bar provides hot drinks and food and the only cover is a small stepped terrace for around 50 people. The pitch has a post and rail round it and the dugouts are on the far side. The game kicked off at a frantic pace. The visitors scored after 4 minutes and the home side scored after 10 minutes. From then on it was end to end football with the goalkeepers making good saves and there was great defending. The half time score was 1-1.
The second half saw the rain lash down harder and the wind began to get up. Both teams had spells when they looked like scoring but Shefford took the lead on 63 minutes. Two further goals saw them win 4-1 but the scoreline was rather harsh on the visitors who played their part in an excellent game. It was nice to chat briefly to a fellow poster on this site. The journey home through heavy rain wasn't much fun, but I arrived home safely. I should add that apparently Shefford have very few games called off as their pitch is well drained.

(This post was edited by osborne on Nov 9, 2019, 7:53 PM)

barcud-coch
First Team Star

Nov 9, 2019, 8:06 PM

Post #13 of 67 (7323 views)
Shortcut
Re: [osborne] Saturday 9th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Brecon Corries 5 Trewern United 0

Rich Field: Emrys Morgan Cup Second Round

The original plan for this afternoon had to head to another tie in this same competition, Penybont United v St Dogmaels, which was a repeat of the 2011/12 final of the Emrys Morgan cup. Despite the match passing an early morning inspection at the Racecourse, it was decided to head elsewhere, due to the snow that had been falling in other parts of mid Wales and a little further north in the Principality. With rain falling in the region this morning, this match might have been postponed closer to the scheduled kick-off time at 1:30pm, given the proximity of the River Ithon to The Racecourse playing area. Therefore, I decided to head a little further south in the region, where there had been no significant reports of snow at the lower levels. Brecon Corries confirmed that their match was going ahead, after having worked on the pitch last night, and the Rich Field is a ground that usually sees fixtures going ahead whilst others in the region are postponed due to waterlogged pitches. This was my second visit to the market town within the space of a week after having watched the Corries defeat town rivals Northcote 8-0 at the nearby Depot ground in the Watson Financial Mid Wales League (South). That result saw the Rich Field club maintain their 100% record in all competitions and sit proudly at the summit of the league table after having transferred across from the South Wales Alliance Premier Division in the summer. Trewern United travelled south from the Montgomeryshire borderland in anticipation of stopping the Brecon Corries juggernaut and create their own cup run. The Tigers came into this afternoon's match just inside the top-half of the Montgomeryshire League First Division after suffering a 2-1 reverse at First Division leaders and reigning champions Guilsfield Reserves last weekend.

The opening stages of this cup tie were relatively even as the Corries failed to find their what is now traditional early goal against opponents that were of probably a better standard than most they have faced in the Watson Financial Mid Wales League (South). The hosts saw a fierce 25 yard drive turned over the crossbar by the Trewern United goalkeeper in the 12th minute before opening the scoring three minutes later when a cross from out on the right flank was squeezed home at the far post by Gareth Pugh. Former Merthyr Tyfdil striker Paul Keddle pulled a low shot wide of the far post in the 17th minute before the Mid Wales League (South) leaders doubled their advantage four minutes later when a header came back off the woodwork and the rebound was deflected over the line by a visiting defender. Trewern United saw a rare effort on the Corries goal pulled wide of the target after the home defence failed to deal with a 24th minute free-kick played into their penalty area. The hosts netted their third goal of the afternoon in the 27th minute when the Tigers custodian slid at the feet of Paul Keddle but lost the ball and it was guided into the empty net by experienced forward. Veteran Corries midfielder Gavin Perry was played in on goal seven minutes later but saw his low shot turned behind the near post for a corner. The cup favourites saw a 25 yard effort pushed behind for a 49th minute corner before a close range effort was drilled wide of the target two minutes later. Trewern United saw a header from a 59th minute corner deflected wide of the target before the hosts scooped an effort over the target on the hour mark after a quick break down the left. Paul Keddle was played on on goal eight minutes later but was denied by a brave save before Gareth Aplin cut in from the right and saw his curling effort well saved by the Tigers' custodian. The hosts scored their opening goal of the second-half when Joel Evans netted in the 75th minute when the ball was pulled back from the byline before Keddle netted his second of the afternoon with a header from an 83rd minute corner to complete the afternoon's scoring.

2018/19 Statistics
Goals: 448
Matches: 88
New Grounds: 16

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Nov 9, 2019, 8:08 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #14 of 67 (7316 views)
Shortcut
Re: [FatCat] Saturday 9th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Welsh Cup. Admission £3. Programme £2. Crowd 407 (Official).

Bangor 1876 0 v 2 Ruthin Town

This wasn't my first choice in Wales today, that was Llannefydd, which on arrival I realised I had already been toBlush! Having narrowly avoided an ARS, the above, kicking off an hour later gave me plenty of time to reach Bangor. The relatively new 3G has standing on one side and end and also has a seated stand.The weather was sunny, having driven through rain and sleet and spotted cars with a couple of inches of snow on them near Wrexham.

Ruthin took the lead on 30 minutes and sealed their win with a second on 49. Bangor rallied and had a spell of sustained pressure, coming close to scoring but each time the well organised town defence cleared the danger. A word for the referee today, excellent, allowed the game to flow, tried to play advantage and made the right decisions coolly, producing cards when necessary.

Non stop journey back, the snow on the Snowdonia mountains a sign of what is to come. Several familiar faces there today including three quarters of the Mersey Mob (the other one didn't get bail they told me)!

Dr Love
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 9, 2019, 8:11 PM

Team(s): Halifax Town

Post #15 of 67 (7288 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

No real furniture save a folded over corrugated flap to keep the rain off, but the clubhouse was nice and had good wifi.

This has been my intended destination today, but given the weather forecast and seeing the postponements nearby meant I ended up saving it for another day. Having walked past the ground about 12 months ago, I thought they had some cover then. I'll still look to visit sometime.

Wivenhoe Town 2-1 Benfleet
Eastern Senior 1st Division South

A look at the forecast suggested this part of Essex would be good for staying dry, and it proved to be the case with the first rain of the day being abserved passing Chelmsford on the way home. Unusal main stand as it's only a quarter complete with three cabins in the rest of it, but access to two of them only from the adjacent open pitches. Plenty of covered standing behind the goals with a large clubhouse by the entrance. They've also got a small club shop.

The game started brightly, but both sides let down by their finishing. The opening goal (for Wivenhoe) midway through the first half came from a cross taking a slight deflection. Wivenhoe doubled their advantage midway through the second half, the ball had been close to going over the line before, but thankfully someone alert enough to convert and not celebrate too early. With ten minutes to play Benfleet pulled one back direct from a free kick. Wivenhoe were reduced to ten men as a result of the foul denying a clear goal scoring chance. A lively finish, but no further goals.

(This post was edited by Dr Love on Nov 9, 2019, 8:32 PM)

hemelhopper
First Team Star

Nov 9, 2019, 8:14 PM

Team(s): Hemel Hempstead Town FC, Trust Portsmouth FC and The Reds of Cincinnati

Post #16 of 67 (7262 views)
Shortcut
Re: [osborne] Saturday 9th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Rowner Rovers 0-10 Harvest Home (Mid Solent Adult League, Division 1)
- played at Bridgemary Academy School, Wych Lane, Gosport from 2.0pm

Att – 5 (h/c); Entry – none; No prog or refreshment
Weather – wet .. the type that gets through your clothing, even with a brolly above
Travel – M27 and A32 into the neighbouring estates
Colours – yellow tops and dark blue shorts for Harvest .. all blue with white bodice for Rovers

Well Bourton on the Water seemed a long way away .. but aptly named for this day .. with a lot more water predicted and eventually called off .. and the Hereford Lads “back up” on the all-weather not ready to back up .. I decided to stay close to home, given travel plans coming up next week.

This game was chosen simply because it was advertised on the synthetic .. Harvest came in as League leader’s after five games, having conceded just one goal and with a perfect record .. whilst Rovers were bottom with no points and just three goals scored from their five games .. having suffered games where 10, 14 and fifteen goals against mid-table opposition had been conceded .. so, this one had the potential for being a bit one way to say the least.

Your standard cage, with one side for spectating available and no furniture, plenty of parking and the teams changing in the main Sport Hall .. the enclosure built to the south side of the School site and mirroring similar local venues. This facility with the two strained wires and netting to allow splitting into three six-a-side pitches as required .. the cable being hit a few times, which seemed to help Rovers slow down attacks .. which were numerous by Harvest, who took their time and spread attacks pretty evenly .. the goals going in on,

13 – cut back on left side and stabbed home
23 – left foot shot from edge of box went under the keeper’s dive
37 – right footer to right side of net
38 – free kick wide left swung in and missed by all .. apart from the net
42 – strong right foot shot
52 – cross from the right turned into the left side of net
56 – right sided cross missed by all and tapped in at the far post
61 – lob over keeper from left side / tight angle
72 – attack from the left saw ball buried into net with a fierce shot
77 – nice volley, struck with aplomb

I then thought more was to come but with ten minutes to play, something I’ve never seen on a football pitch before, as a Rovers free kick had been seen out for a goal kick, the players moved off down the pitch, leaving a Rover forward taking his time .. who once back in the centre circle unfortunately went into an epileptic seizure causing due concern and distress to the players .. as the Rover forward was immediately assisted and consoled .. the Ref discussing the situation with both teams and making a decision to call a halt to the proceedings .. an unfortunate turn of events .. leaving us all to wish the player the very best, on a speedy recovery and quick return to the football he and we enjoy.

Grounds = 638, Leagues done = 15 (37 to go); Games (19/20) = 102; New Grounds (19/20) = 82; Goals (19/20) = 441; Ave goals/game = 4.32; Last new ground = Bourton Rovers; Next = Tues 10th Dec 2019

Bradshaw
Youth Team Star

Nov 9, 2019, 8:25 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC., Black Country non-league; The F.A.Vase

Post #17 of 67 (7176 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hemelhopper] Saturday 9th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

F.A.Cup 1st Round
Stourbridge 2 Eastleigh 2
Another stirring afternoon of cup football at Amblecote. The rain didn't let up and neither did either team in an effort to win the tie first time around. Eastleigh grabbed the leveller they would have thought they deserved four minutes from the end when Scott Rendell pounced from close range. Even so the seven minutes of added time could have and maybe should have produced a winner, Stour coming closest as Chay Tilt, clean through, saw his shot palmed to safety by Max Stryjek. The hosts had taken the lead through a glancing header from Aaron Lloyd mid way through the half but in the 37th Tyrone Barnettoutjumped home keeper James Wren to head the equaliser. the forward injured himself in the process and was substituted. The visitors then had the upper hand but strangely lost their momentum after the break and just before the hour Will Grocott finsihed off the move of the match to put Stour 2-1 ahead. More drama was to follow as Wren saved a Rendell penalty. Great stuff for the 1,846 present.

(This post was edited by Bradshaw on Nov 9, 2019, 8:31 PM)

Steve_HFC
Reserve Team Star

Nov 9, 2019, 8:44 PM

Team(s): Portsmouth

Post #18 of 67 (7015 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bradshaw] Saturday 9th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Isthmian League Division One Central
Chalfont St Peter (1) 2-1 (1) Chertsey Town
Att:96
Admission:£9 (adult).
Programme online.

My first game of the season anywhere - only other game I've seen is Southampton v Portsmouth on TV in the Carabao Cup.

Went along as both sides had players & managers who were at Hendon when I was a volunteer/supporter, some of whom have become good friends.

A very wet afternoon, and I suspect had this been a 5pm kick off, we may not have started. Home side took the lead midway through the first half, with Chertsey equalising soon after.

Chalfont regained the lead, and whilst Chertsey had chances of an equaliser the biggest was spurned when Jake Baxter saw his penalty saved by veteran keeper Richard Hayward, who was making his debut for Chalfont.

Enjoyed the game despite the weather - most interestingly I felt more welcome at a ground where I was unknown by most than I did last season supporting my own club.

(This post was edited by Steve_HFC on Nov 9, 2019, 9:18 PM)

Linnetstowinit
Youth Team Star

Nov 9, 2019, 8:49 PM

Team(s): Runcorn Linnets,Arsenal,Tranmere Rovers,Guernsey

Post #19 of 67 (6995 views)
Shortcut

RUNCORN LINNETS 1. PRESCOT CABLES 1
FA TROPHY. ATTN. 406
==========================

On a wet,windy,cold and thoroughly miserable afternoon Linnets produced a performance to match the weather. They played with no cohesion and ideas.

Linnets finally went 1-0 down midway through the 2nd half and showed no signs of equalising until the 6th minute of the 4 minutes added time when an in swinging corner from Zac Aley went straight in. Queue total disbelief from Linnets supporters and abject misery from Cables players.

The road to Wembley continues but not for much longer if they produce this type of performance on Tuesday in the replay.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Nov 9, 2019, 9:19 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #20 of 67 (6797 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

. No real furniture save a folded over corrugated flap to keep the rain off, but the clubhouse was nice and had good wifi.

They had three bus-shelter stands (at least) back in their County League days; obviously all sadly gone as I remember it as a beautiful little ground.

I was further east today where it was dry but brisk at:
13.45 - Cliff Bullen Challenge Cup : Parson Drove 5 Chatteris Town 0. Attendance : 27; f&n
This competition started life as the Cambs Senior Cup back in 1897 but doesn't appear quite so senior these days with the bigger clubs taking part in the Invitational Cup instead. Today's tie pitted Parson Drove, in higher mid-table in the Peterborough Prem, against former ECL side Chatteris who are down the table in the Cambridgeshire Prem. It's now forty years since Parson Drove had a remarkable FA cup run to the 4th qualifying round, eliminating Chelmsford City, Felixstowe and Kings Lynn (away) before losing 1-0 at Burton Albion. They've folded twice in the interim but thankfully returned in 2017 and this time they look like going places.
Their ground on Main Road is behind the village hall and till recently was merely a pitch. Now they've got lights, hard-standing all round, fully-railed with two seated arena stands on the right hand side and a small covered terrace opposite. Rumours abound of players being paid silly sums but they're not tearing up the Peterborough League (yet) having been promoted to the Premier Division this season alongside Uppingham Town who currently sit eleven points ahead of them. What they do have is a Step 6 facility assuming the dressing rooms etc pass muster. They're in the village hall which serves hot drinks and basic snacks only.
Parson Drove is a linear village on the exposed Fens, a few miles west of Wisbech St Mary and the drive there from Peterborough involves some of those infamous rollercoaster droveways alongside deep water-filled trenches to keep the driver on their toes. There's not a lot going on though The Swan inn had a few ales and some interesting "characters" including a green-haired barman old enough to know better. A travelling Red Bus chippy apparently passes occasionally but no sign today.
I bumped into a local hopper who I've encountered a few times in these parts but whose name I can never recall - originates from Reading, now retired to March. He informed me this could get ugly as Chatteris had just lost their manager and a number of players, as is often the way at this level, to Wisbech St Mary's while the home side were hot when they felt like it. The first half was competitive though Parson Drove did score twice. They completely dominated the second half and the final whistle came as a blessing to Chatteris who were facing shots-in at that stage.
Dry throughout but the rains arrived as I passed Peterborough on the return journey which was made without a break and key in door for 6.

(This post was edited by buncranaboy on Nov 9, 2019, 10:41 PM)

Atavistic
Reserve Team Star

Nov 9, 2019, 9:25 PM

Team(s): Norwich City, Yaxley

Post #21 of 67 (6758 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Linnetstowinit] Saturday 9th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Part one of today's double:

Combined Counties League Division 1
Bedfont & Feltham 0 Jersey Bulls 3

Admission, Programme and Pin Badges: Free
Attendance: 64 h/c

With the rain beginning to come down in the build-up to kick off (which was delayed by five minutes), both teams struggled to adapt to the slippery conditions in the first half. This meant that the ball mostly remained in the midfield as the two defences largely nullified the opposing attackers; in the first half, the general pattern was that Jersey had the better of the play but weren't able to produce much in front of goal, while Bedfont had the better chances (from the few that there were). The best chances both came from defensive mistakes: in the 32nd minute, Bedfont's Kelvin Karanja pounced on a poor first touch and crossed into the box to Michael Capon, who couldn't connect and score; then, in the 39th minute, a Bedfont defender miscued a clearance and this set Jersey's Harry Cardwell through one-on-one, his shot then hitting the post.

After an inexplicable twenty minute half-time break, Jersey came out of the blocks with intent and scored two in two minutes: in the 51st minute, Cardwell tapped in at the far post after a cross from the left wing; two minutes later, Jersey earned a penalty and Karl Hinds calmly converted to double his side's lead. At this point, it seemed like it would be a matter of how many Jersey would score, but Bedfont regrouped and defended valiantly against an onslaught of attacks, occasionally countering with intent as well. However, the away side finished the job in the 81st minute when Jack Griffin received a pass in the box and was able to turn and shoot to score. A few more chances came for Jersey after this, but there were no more goals to come.

Overall, this was an okay game, with Jersey efficiently claiming victory against a stubborn and resilient Bedfont & Feltham. I can certainly see why Jersey are top of the league, but I wouldn't say they impressed me in the way I thought they would.

The ground is an interesting mish-mash of football furniture, with planes constantly going overheard from the nearby Heathrow Airport.

Because of the delayed start and prolonged half-time break, the match only just finished before 3pm, meaning I missed a little more of my second match than I had hoped to...

2019/20 stats (including Pre-Season):

New Grounds: 19 (Most Recent: Marlow)
Games: 28
Goals: 96
Goals Per Game (to 2 dp): 3.43
0-0s: 1

My Blog: https://thetortoisetravels.blogspot.co.uk/

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 9, 2019, 9:31 PM

Team(s): AFC Telford Utd, Witham T, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking, Fisher.

Post #22 of 67 (6690 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ashtree RockBee] Saturday 9th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

SNOXHALL FIELDS
CRANLEIGH 2 Guildford United 6
Surrey County Intermediate League West Premier

Unfortunately the rain reached Surrey and Sussex earlier than previously advertised and the chosen destination of Alfold went down the drain at 1435 Frown
Decided to salvage something by seeing the second half of the above match, a short distance away, which yielded 5 more goals in addition to the 0-3 half time score.
With hindsight, had I noticed this was a 2pm kick off I should have come here first and left Alfold for later, but it is what is.
A partial tick, and maybe a return one day.
Pitch held up well to the deluge, but was only just playable by the end.

Being a former CoCo club there are floodlights and a small terraced stand, but little else. Not aware of any programme or refreshments.

645 GROUNDS - Cranleigh (61/92)
583 WETHERSPOONS - Willenhall
2 WETHERSPOONS HOTELS - Ripon

Atavistic
Reserve Team Star

Nov 9, 2019, 9:40 PM

Team(s): Norwich City, Yaxley

Post #23 of 67 (6646 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Atavistic] Saturday 9th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

And part two of the double (which I missed the first fifteen or so minutes of):

Combined Counties League Premier Division
CB Hounslow United 1 Redhill 4

Admission and Programme: £4
Attendance: 70 h/c

What I saw of the first half was largely uneventful, with lots of miscued aerial balls and little control in the play for the most part. However, as the half progressed Redhill started to look stronger and deservedly took the lead in the 43rd minute: Nathan Williams curled a shot into the top corner from 25 yards out.

Redhill continued to be on top as the second half began, doubling their lead in the 52nd minute through Stefan Joseph, whose shot from inside the box initially hit the post before rebounding into the net. Fifteen minutes later, Hounslow gave themselves hope of a comeback when Shakeel Morris was able to turn and shoot inside the box, blindsiding Redhill keeper Jack Minchen in the process to score.

However, this hope only lasted seven minutes as Hounslow gave a penalty away in the 74th minute when a defender clipped Mo Diakite: Evan Lopes stepped up to take and placed his effort into the bottom corner. Ten minutes later, Redhill's victory was confirmed when Williams scored his second: Fred Hill charged down the left wing and crossed to the far post, where Williams was unmarked and able to poke in a volley from close range. Conditions deteriorated rapidly after this and the match lost all energy and intensity before concluding.

This was a better match than the first once it eventually got going, but as with the first it took until the second half to really come alive. Redhill were dominant from the moment they took the lead and only lapsed at all when they conceded. This match was also a relief as it was my first time seeing more than four goals in a match since returning to University at the end of September.

The ground is impressive for a new build, though the fact that you have to walk behind the clubhouse and outside of the football ground to access the tea bar was quite bizarre and less than ideal in such miserable conditions. The planes seemed to be flying over even lower here than at Bedfont, despite this presumably being further away from Heathrow than Bedfont is.

2019/20 stats (including Pre-Season):

New Grounds: 19 (Most Recent: Marlow)
Games: 28
Goals: 96
Goals Per Game (to 2 dp): 3.43
0-0s: 1

My Blog: https://thetortoisetravels.blogspot.co.uk/

dtr1989
Youth Team Regular

Nov 9, 2019, 9:44 PM

Team(s): Bury

Post #24 of 67 (6618 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] Saturday 9th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FA Cup 1st Round

MK Dons 0-1 Port Vale
Price - £15
Programme - £2
Attendance - 3,598

First visit to the Stadium MK for me today. I was in the Northampton area seeing family and looked a few weeks ago at this game however it was around £30 a ticket! Checked on Friday and they were £15. If I paid on the day it would’ve been £12! It’s terrible that they charge an extortionate fee then reduce it nearer the time. They have a 30,500 seated stadium and had a crowd filling 10% of it. Just sell the tickets for £15 from day one, and you might actually get a bigger crowd!

The stadium itself is impressive. I’m not a fan of new grounds but this feels different. The concourse that goes half way round the ground was nice. The seats were comfy, I changed seats for the 2nd half as there were plenty spare!

The game was pretty boring. MK were playing a slowed down version of walking football. Port Vale deserved the lead they took in the 20th minute when the open David Worrall headed in. There were a number of chances for MK in the 2nd half but they were poor efforts and Vale deserved the win.

https://thepartialview.sport.blog/

pokal02
First Team Star

Nov 9, 2019, 9:47 PM

Team(s): Barnet, Cockfosters, Truro City, Udinese

Post #25 of 67 (6605 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] Saturday 9th November 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ollerton T 1-3 North Ferriby (Abd. 90+2 - floodlight failure)
NCEL 1
Adm £3 (conc) coffee £1 Att est 120

With a lot of rain forecast for the south, made for the nearest dry option - the pitch was excellent considering the heavy rain in these parts Thu/Fri - I heard the ref saying he was amazed how good it was.

One of the more basic grounds in this league with a brick built cover and another smal covered area behind one goal and a small stand (2 rows of seats) about 30 yards down one side. The other two sides out of bounds, for no obvious reason that I could see. Tea hut in ground but no clubhouse.

Ferriby, who provided about half the gate, dominated although they should have gone 1-0 down early on but for an amazing clearance off the line. Once they'd scored after some pinball from a corner on 33 and added another again from a corner on 44 the result wasn't in much doubt.

A third was added on 54 when a hopeful cross from the left sailed over the keepers head into the far corner. Ollerton pulled one back on 89 and with two of the 4 added mins completed half the lights went out. It was probably still playable but the rest of the lights soon followed. It was clearly too dark to play even the last 90-odd seconds so with no prospect of the lights being fixed the ref was forced to abandon it.

(It counts for me but, assuming the result is not allowed to stand, presents a dilemma as to whether I put it back on the 'tidy-up' list or regard it as done).

No traffic problems either way and indoors at 19:30, the games having been finally abandoned at 17:08.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3