Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Ground Hopping & Programmes: General:
Longest unchanged places to watch football

Oxford Stone
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 25, 2019, 12:07 PM

Team(s): Maidstone United

Post #1 of 14 (2457 views)
Shortcut
Longest unchanged places to watch football Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was thinking back to places I've watched football and many of the early ones have disappeared - of course I've been to a few new grounds too:

New grounds visited
Wycombe Wanderers
Oxford United
Oxford City
Leicester City
Reading
Derby County
Thame United
Wembley
Stade de France
Millennium Stadium
Maidstone United
MK Dons
AFC Bournemouth
Dartford

Disappeared grounds visited
Kettering
Irthlingborough Diamonds
Wembley
Thame United
Maidstone United
Horsham
Greenwich Borough
Slade Green
Hull City
Oxford United
AFC Bournemouth
Hendon
Sittingbourne (Central Park, Bourne Park)

Disappeared terraces stood on
Liverpool Kop
Peterborough (3 sides)
Swindon away end
Southend United away end (assume seating now?)
Billericay

The oldest place that has not changed since I saw a match there (if you see what I mean?) would be the east stand at Cambridge United (I was at CUFC v Bournemouth, Boxing Day 26/12/84) - as mentioned above, through the 80s I stood on 3 different sides at Peterborough including the amazing pitch-length terrace on the south side, long gone. So the ground is there but the terrace isn't.

Any advance on 1984? The higher the pyramid the better. Where would be the oldest "unchanged" spot in the Premier League, for example - what's the oldest surviving stand there? Guessing part of Villa Park?

(This post was edited by Oxford Stone on Oct 25, 2019, 1:26 PM)

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 27, 2019, 9:28 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #2 of 14 (1860 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Oxford Stone] Longest unchanged places to watch football [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Surely Aldershot has to be the winner?

Oxford Stone
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 27, 2019, 10:30 PM

Post #3 of 14 (1784 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Longest unchanged places to watch football [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Good shout, a lot of that ground must be unchanged since it was built.
I should add Bedford to my defunct grounds visited. Cup tie v Wimbledon early 80s. In the shadow of Charles Wells brewery IIRC?

cherryhopper
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 27, 2019, 10:40 PM

Team(s): AFC Bournemouth, Verwood Town, Sunderland

Post #4 of 14 (1783 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Oxford Stone] Longest unchanged places to watch football [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Any advance on 1984? The higher the pyramid the better. Where would be the oldest "unchanged" spot in the Premier League, for example - what's the oldest surviving stand there? Guessing part of Villa Park?

Only the Witton End at Villa Park is the same as it was before 1984 though seats have replaced the terracing in the lower tier. I'd imagine both the main stand and Arthur Waite Stand at Crystal Palace's Selhurst Park are older.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 27, 2019, 10:41 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #5 of 14 (1783 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Where would be the oldest "unchanged" spot in the Premier League, for example - what's the oldest surviving stand there? Guessing part of Villa Park?

The last time I went to Selhurst Park was September 2012 (when Crystal Palace were in the Championship), sitting in the away section of the Arthur Wait Stand. The back half of this stand still then consisted of old wooden seating, which appeared to be of some considerable age (but wearing well). It'd be interesting to know if they are still in place today in the Premier League, and how old they actually are.

As well as Villa Park, I'd guess there must be plenty of chunks of Goodison Park that have remained unchanged for a long time. The main stand there still has the old Archibald Leitch latticework across the front.

northstandexile
First Team Star

Oct 27, 2019, 11:30 PM

Team(s): Mansfield Town

Post #6 of 14 (1765 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Longest unchanged places to watch football [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The East stand at Hillsborough must come into contention

Oxford Stone
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 28, 2019, 8:43 AM

Post #7 of 14 (1664 views)
Shortcut
Re: [northstandexile] Longest unchanged places to watch football [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Any bits of Craven Cottage I wonder?

In 2005 at Ashton Gate I sat in an ancient fold-up wooden and iron seat, really narrow. I think that stand (away end to the right) has been refurbished since.

Senior82
Junior Team Regular

Oct 28, 2019, 3:39 PM

Team(s): Sheffield Wednesday, Stocksbridge Park Steels & Sheffield Eagles RLFC

Post #8 of 14 (1570 views)
Shortcut
Re: [northstandexile] Longest unchanged places to watch football [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Maybe the North Stand, built in 1961 i believe. The 'East Bank' is the Kop, which was made larger and a roof added in 1986.

JohnD
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 28, 2019, 4:07 PM

Team(s): Frickley

Post #9 of 14 (1552 views)
Shortcut

Barnsley's West Stand was built in the early 1900's. The top "tier" has seats unchanged from then. The bottom tier has seats bolted to the old paddock.

northstandexile
First Team Star

Oct 28, 2019, 4:09 PM

Team(s): Mansfield Town

Post #10 of 14 (1549 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Senior82] Longest unchanged places to watch football [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Maybe the North Stand, built in 1961 i believe. The 'East Bank' is the Kop, which was made larger and a roof added in 1986.

Sorry meant the stand on the side, on the left when looking from the kop.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 28, 2019, 8:07 PM

Post #11 of 14 (1456 views)
Shortcut

Much of the South Stand at Fratton Park is the same structure that Archibald Leitch built (in 1925, I think). Obviously there are modern plastic seats fitted along with modern outer cladding, but the metal frame of the building, the metal roof supports and so on are all original and still visible. (Unfortunately, the old Leitch trademark lattice crosses on the front of the stand, similar to those at Goodison Park, were covered over about ten years ago).

I pretty sure that the large stand on the seafront side of Grimsby Town's Blundell Park is from when the ground was originally built in 1899. Lack of development over the years has been a positive here, I reckon.

The main stand at Ibrox Stadium must be one of the most completely unchanged football buildings of its size left in the world. I was lucky enough to attend a works meeting in their boardroom about ten years ago. Its beautiful outer red brickwork and its elegant inner marble flooring and staircase, plus wood-paneled trophy room, are more like a glamorous Victorian mansion house than a football ground. I also think I'm right in saying that Ibrox still has its original Leitch lattice crosses on the face of the stand. Well worth visiting if you ever have the chance.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Oct 28, 2019, 9:05 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #12 of 14 (1421 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Longest unchanged places to watch football [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ibrox unchanged with the beautiful Leitch stand but im pretty sure a third tier was added in the late 80s early 90s. An official gave me an unofficial tour of the place 30 years ago and it was a sight to behold.

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 29, 2019, 8:40 PM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #13 of 14 (1188 views)
Shortcut

No real structural alterations to Arbroath's Gayfield Park since the early 1960s when the covered areas behind each goal were built.

Floodlights added in 1972 but nothing has changed since.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 13, 2019, 12:38 AM

Post #14 of 14 (345 views)
Shortcut

Not sure this is the sort of thing you originally meant, but it's good to
see that there are still shards of glass and broken bottles embedded into concrete on top of some of the walls along the outside of the North Stand and Milton End at Fratton Park...

https://www.google.com/...g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3