Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Other British Isles Football:
All-island league in Ireland by 2021?

Wheelbarrow
First Team Star

Oct 23, 2019, 12:59 PM

Post #1 of 8 (2559 views)
Shortcut
All-island league in Ireland by 2021? Can't Post or Reply Privately

Discussions afoot about an all-island league in Ireland with three divisions of 14, 10, 10 driven by Kerry businessman Kieran Lucid.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/...ew-era-38622656.html

Several other articles in the Belfast Telegraph Irish League section, including bullish talk of retaining all the european spots. Linfield have come out and said they would consider the idea if it benefitted a) the club and b) the standard of football throughout the island (and you assume he means in that order!).

Interestingly there seem to be a lot less coverage in the southern press - nothing visible on the Irish Times or Irish Examiner websites, with only this on the Irish Independent site - though it is a more in depth article than any of the ones in the Tele. Though that may be to do with the fact that the spring-autumn League of Ireland season is getting to the pointy end of things.

https://www.independent.ie/...otball-38585265.html

A loooong way to go, but interesting times!

BelfastBlue
Youth Team Star

Oct 23, 2019, 1:21 PM

Team(s): Linfield, Camelon Juniors, Rangers, Spennymoor

Post #2 of 8 (2533 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wheelbarrow] All-island league in Ireland by 2021? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

This has been covered extensively on ILF and there is, as yet, nothing concrete behind Mr Lucid's proposals, particularly when it comes to the financial backing or TV deal.

The Setanta Cup was good while it lasted but I see no real appetite for the extra journeys/expenses. So many LOI clubs have gone bust over the last 20 years and the IL has been improving over the last 5/10 years, with Linfield just missing out on Europa League group stage qualification, although there is very much a limit to how far the IL progress can continue.

I'll file this one under "I'll believe it when I see it".

NI_Glens
Junior Team Regular

Nov 29, 2019, 2:49 PM

Team(s): Glentoran, QPR

Post #3 of 8 (942 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BelfastBlue] All-island league in Ireland by 2021? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I attended a presentation on this last night. Went into a lot of detail and the structure was very complex but little meat on bones with regards finances. Said they have been in discussion with a number of parties and believe there will be money from broadcasters, sponsors, Government, Peace Fund, data rights etc. The conservative estimate was $6-$7mp.a. and optimistic was about double that.

They also seemed to think that Governments would invest in stadiums....not sure I would be confident about that!

However they conceded that it's unlikely that a full All-Ireland will get the appetite of clubs/fans so they then started discussing a hybrid approach:

Leagues stay as they are and everyone plays twice. From that the Euro places and relegation decided. Then the top 5 (NI) and 7 (ROI) and bottom 7 (NI) and 5 (ROI) form another league and play (didn't catch if once or twice). No costings on this approach had been made (it sounded like this was a late suggestion from a club).

An external Dutch company who overhauled the Danish league are on board and carrying out all the data analysis etc to come up with suggestions.

Good to see some thinking outside the box but I can't see it generating the finances / increased crowds that they are hoping for personally and if I was a betting man I would be keeping my money on the status quo.

1 other interesting snippet was that a treasurer of a club stated that even with a status quo he is sure that a May-Feb season in NI is only a year or two away.

(This post was edited by NI_Glens on Nov 29, 2019, 2:52 PM)

BelfastBlue
Youth Team Star

Nov 29, 2019, 10:06 PM

Post #4 of 8 (777 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NI_Glens] All-island league in Ireland by 2021? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Did they mention that the Danish League deal was a huge loss leader to get other leagues coverage?

NI_Glens
Junior Team Regular

Nov 30, 2019, 12:12 PM

Post #5 of 8 (665 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BelfastBlue] All-island league in Ireland by 2021? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Did they mention that the Danish League deal was a huge loss leader to get other leagues coverage?

No! - It was all painted very positive about how it has transformed football in that country for the good. I wasn't aware about the losses.

BelfastBlue
Youth Team Star

Nov 30, 2019, 6:24 PM

Post #6 of 8 (602 views)
Shortcut
Re: [NI_Glens] All-island league in Ireland by 2021? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Much more details on the thread on ILF about the proposed AIL. Apparently they took Danish top flight to get access to other more lucrative leagues, so not really comparing like for like when discussing the potential AIL television deal.

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 2, 2019, 12:43 PM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #7 of 8 (405 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
However they conceded that it's unlikely that a full All-Ireland will get the appetite of clubs/fans so they then started discussing a hybrid approach:

Leagues stay as they are and everyone plays twice. From that the Euro places and relegation decided. Then the top 5 (NI) and 7 (ROI) and bottom 7 (NI) and 5 (ROI) form another league and play (didn't catch if once or twice). No costings on this approach had been made (it sounded like this was a late suggestion from a club).

ROI top league is 10 teams? Any idea on why it would be 5/7 and 7/5 anyway, rather than 6/6?

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (968) Dusseldorfer Strasse DSV 1900 1-4 DJK Blau Weiss Mintard
With FC United: 136
On the agenda:
4/12 Hamburg II v Luneburg Hansa
7/12 Fc United v Matlock Town

NI_Glens
Junior Team Regular

Dec 2, 2019, 2:16 PM

Post #8 of 8 (339 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oftenscore6] All-island league in Ireland by 2021? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

ROI top league is 10 teams? Any idea on why it would be 5/7 and 7/5 anyway, rather than 6/6?

The question wasn't raised - I assumed maybe due to the feeling that the ROI league is stronger?

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3