Home: Non-League Football Discussion: General Discussion:
Resolving Abandoned Matches

multilevel
Reserve Team Sub

Oct 22, 2019, 2:24 PM

Post #1 of 17 (3407 views)
Shortcut
Resolving Abandoned Matches Can't Post or Reply Privately

Although this topic is wider than non-league, I am guessing that experiences in non-league have been more varied than higher in the structures and thus of relevance to this forum.

Prompted by the FA's decision to have the Haringey Borough v Yeovil Town match replayed (but wanting to keep this discussion separate from issues concerning that match specifically), I was wondering if there have been any instances of abandoned matches being continued from where they left off rather than starting again at 0-0.

Whatever the reason for an abandonment, it seems quite logical to resume from the position at abandonment. It resolves all the issues of "the floodlights were sabotaged", "we were 6-0 up with 10 minutes to play", etc. so it seems odd that, in this country, we insist on starting a new match from scratch.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Oct 22, 2019, 2:33 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #2 of 17 (3388 views)
Shortcut
Re: [multilevel] Resolving Abandoned Matches [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I can't recall any so, if it has happened in England, I reckon you'd have to go back many years.

I'm not aware of any English competition that would allow it to happen either. Whether that needs to change is certainly debatable though I've no particular view on that.

Isaac
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 22, 2019, 3:13 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #3 of 17 (3287 views)
Shortcut
Re: [multilevel] Resolving Abandoned Matches [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It's always seemed logical to me to resume where the previous game finished whatever the reason for the abandonment and it pretty much dispels any sabotage theories. Hopefully if it was 6-0 with a few minutes left common sense would apply and the result would stand.

dottirofhod

Oct 22, 2019, 3:20 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #4 of 17 (3222 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Resolving Abandoned Matches [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Leyton Orient abandoned and then restarted over an hour later behind closed doors !

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/...itch-stage-sit-down/

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 100 / 85 / 15 / inc 4 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 08 / 11 / 2019.
Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

John Treleven

Oct 22, 2019, 3:21 PM

Team(s):

Post #5 of 17 (3214 views)
Shortcut

Sheffield Wednesday v Aston Villa Div 1, Sat 26th Nov 1898

abandoned 79 mins, bad light 3-1

Uniquely, as far as I can see, rather than let the score stand or order the whole match to be replayed, the Football League ordered the clubs to play only the final 11 minutes.

They did this over three months later on Mon 13th March when Sheffield Wednesday increased the score to 4-1 with Fred Richards, who had not played in the initial match, scoring.

Aston Villa had one change and Sheffield Wednesday five, including Richards.

John Treleven

Oct 22, 2019, 3:29 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 17 (3195 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] Resolving Abandoned Matches [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

28th Aug 2007 Nott'm F. v Leicester C., Carling Cup

abandoned 45 mins 0-1 after Leicester defender Clive Clarke collapsed in the dressing room with a heart attack.

When the tie was re-staged Forest allowed City to score an unopposed goal straight from the kick off to restore the visitors 1-0 lead they had had in the initial match.

Clarke recovered but was forced to retire from playing.

simonsm
Youth Team Star

Oct 22, 2019, 7:16 PM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 17 (2730 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] Resolving Abandoned Matches [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In countries where they do follow on from the point it was abandoned, how do they deal with teams that might want to field a few changes, presumably realising the opposition are stronger than they envisioned?

That issue is the only stumbling block to re-starting a match mid-game, apart from maybe ensuring the remainder is played in a quick time (next match for both sides?)

You could argue about why would you have a match scenario just for what might be a short time (10 mins for example) - they sort of do it in cricket when Day 5 of a test match is just the final few balls due to bad light on the 4th day.

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Star

Oct 22, 2019, 11:39 PM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #8 of 17 (2427 views)
Shortcut
Re: [simonsm] Resolving Abandoned Matches [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
In countries where they do follow on from the point it was abandoned, how do they deal with teams that might want to field a few changes, presumably realising the opposition are stronger than they envisioned?

That issue is the only stumbling block to re-starting a match mid-game, apart from maybe ensuring the remainder is played in a quick time (next match for both sides?)

You could argue about why would you have a match scenario just for what might be a short time (10 mins for example) - they sort of do it in cricket when Day 5 of a test match is just the final few balls due to bad light on the 4th day.

My understanding is that where a game is re-started from the point where it was abandoned, is that the game is actually a continuation, so the same personnel play and any cards handed out still stand.

dottirofhod

Oct 22, 2019, 11:51 PM

Post #9 of 17 (2412 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] Resolving Abandoned Matches [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Think about it.

Games restarted sometimes days sometimes longer means anything could happen to players. Injury in training etc etc.

The ammount of times its happened abroad is a lot, so I would be amazed if it was the same teams that were on the pitch at the time of sbandonment in the restarted game.

I'm sure each country has its own rules, I can check one or two games but not for a few days.

Will leave it for someone with nothing better to do.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 100 / 85 / 15 / inc 4 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 08 / 11 / 2019.

hawkwind
First Team Star

Oct 23, 2019, 1:06 AM

Post #10 of 17 (2347 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Resolving Abandoned Matches [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The basic rules for this are easy enough to put in place.

As example these are the Champions League regulations - see 27.09.

(This post was edited by hawkwind on Oct 23, 2019, 1:06 AM)

SuperKev!
First Team Star

Oct 23, 2019, 12:34 PM

Post #11 of 17 (1967 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hawkwind] Resolving Abandoned Matches [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The reason I don’t go to the tennis at Wimbledon or the snooker in Sheffield is because I like to watch sporting events through from start to finish. If something has the potential, or is scheduled, to be held over more than one day and there’s no guarantee that I can get to the continuation on another day, then I won’t go. The same would apply yeti football if the authorities went down the road of completing abandoned matches on another date that I can’t make. Am I alone in this view?

Dylan's Dad
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 23, 2019, 12:48 PM

Team(s): Gillingham

Post #12 of 17 (1955 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bigaitch] Resolving Abandoned Matches [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

My understanding is that where a game is re-started from the point where it was abandoned, is that the game is actually a continuation, so the same personnel play and any cards handed out still stand.

There's no way that "the same personnel play" could ever be enforced. What if a player had broken his leg in the intervening period?

La la la
La la la
Life is football
-- Robb Johnson

Bigaitch
Reserve Team Star

Oct 23, 2019, 3:03 PM

Team(s): Nobody in particular

Post #13 of 17 (1806 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Dylan's Dad] Resolving Abandoned Matches [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

My understanding, again I could be (Am probably) wrong is that a lot of the time they are re arranged very quickly.

I have never properly researched it , just relying on memory from a couple of instances.

dottirofhod

Oct 23, 2019, 4:13 PM

Post #14 of 17 (1758 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
My understanding, again I could be (Am probably) wrong is that a lot of the time they are re arranged very quickly.

I have never properly researched it , just relying on memory from a couple of instances.

Just one example of many - Catania v Roma.

Sat Jan 12, 2012. 1-1. Abandoned after 65 ' ish.

Restarted-

Wed Feb 8 , 2012.

Ropemaker

Oct 23, 2019, 4:33 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #15 of 17 (1725 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Not always

Aalborg v Brondby was abandoned after 74 minutes on 1st Sept 1995. The remaining 16 minutes were played six months later on 6 Apr 1996

https://www.theguardian.com/...six-months-five-days

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

dottirofhod

Oct 23, 2019, 4:42 PM

Post #16 of 17 (1713 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] Resolving Abandoned Matches [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Double header !

''“Since flares were not illegal in the Danish Superliga in 1995, there were no rules that could declare Brondby loser of the game. So when the two teams faced each other in the Danish cup on 6 April 1996, it was decided that they should finish the remaining 16 minutes and seven seconds of the league game, after they had played the cup match.''

Gricehead
Youth Team Regular

Nov 8, 2019, 3:34 PM

Team(s): Rotherham United, North Leigh, Dinnington Town, Handsworth Parramore

Post #17 of 17 (545 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Resolving Abandoned Matches [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A situation similar to this is taking place in amateur French football at the moment.

A Coupe Jean-Marie Fromont match in the district of Aisne between CS Aubenton and Boué Etreux II ended 3-3 after normal time. The referee played extra time, contrary to the rules which stated the fixture should be resolved by penalty kicks. Boué Etreux II lost 5-3 and submitted a technical réserve against the referee. This was upheld by the district referees commission.

The two teams will now meet again for a penalty shootout to take place, under the conditions the previous match ended, i.e. only those players on the field at the end of 90 minutes will be allowed to participate in the penalty shootout.

It'll be a different referee, though.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3