Home: Non-League Football Discussion: General Discussion:
Berks and Bucks overly complicated cup

Wijit99
Youth Team Sub

Oct 17, 2019, 1:30 AM

Post #1 of 7 (4766 views)
Shortcut
Berks and Bucks overly complicated cup Can't Post or Reply Privately

So you have a cup competition with 25 teams in it, should be fairly easy to organise. You set up 9 ties (18 teams) and give seven lucky teams a bye , thus giving you 16 teams (9 winners + 7 byes) in the next round which very simply go down to 8 then 4 then 2 for a final.

However, the geniuses at the Berks and Bucks FA thought of a much better idea.

First round have 5 matches (10 teams) with 15 teams getting a bye.
Second round have 8 matches (5 winners + 11 of the teams who previously had a bye) with 4 teams getting a bye
Third round have 4 matches (8 winners from previous round) with still the same 4 teams getting a bye
Quarter final have 4 matches with the four previous winners and the 4 teams who have had a bye until this point
Then a normal semi final and final

I.e
1st round - 10 down to 5 + 15 byes
2nd round - (5 + 11) 16 down to 8 + 4 byes
3rd round - 8 down to 4 + 4 byes
QF round - (4 + 4) 8 down to 4
SF round - 4 down to 2
Final - 2 down to 1 Winner

So complicated and unnecessary i'm not sure i have explained it properly.

It will mean 4 of the starting 25 teams get a bye directly to the quarter final and would have just to win 3 matches whilst 10 teams start right at the beginning and would need to win 6 matches (double the lucky 4).

The lucky 4 are the three EFL clubs plus last years winner. The only reason any of the EFL teams enter is to give their youth players some extra matches, however, in this format they don't really have that chance being limited to a maximum of 3.

Cris
Youth Team Star

Oct 17, 2019, 9:38 AM

Team(s): Bromsgrove Sporting

Post #2 of 7 (4502 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wijit99] Berks and Bucks overly complicated cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
So you have a cup competition with 25 teams in it, should be fairly easy to organise. You set up 9 ties (18 teams) and give seven lucky teams a bye , thus giving you 16 teams (9 winners + 7 byes) in the next round which very simply go down to 8 then 4 then 2 for a final.

However, the geniuses at the Berks and Bucks FA thought of a much better idea.

First round have 5 matches (10 teams) with 15 teams getting a bye.
Second round have 8 matches (5 winners + 11 of the teams who previously had a bye) with 4 teams getting a bye
Third round have 4 matches (8 winners from previous round) with still the same 4 teams getting a bye
Quarter final have 4 matches with the four previous winners and the 4 teams who have had a bye until this point
Then a normal semi final and final

I.e
1st round - 10 down to 5 + 15 byes
2nd round - (5 + 11) 16 down to 8 + 4 byes
3rd round - 8 down to 4 + 4 byes
QF round - (4 + 4) 8 down to 4
SF round - 4 down to 2
Final - 2 down to 1 Winner

So complicated and unnecessary i'm not sure i have explained it properly.

It will mean 4 of the starting 25 teams get a bye directly to the quarter final and would have just to win 3 matches whilst 10 teams start right at the beginning and would need to win 6 matches (double the lucky 4).

The lucky 4 are the three EFL clubs plus last years winner. The only reason any of the EFL teams enter is to give their youth players some extra matches, however, in this format they don't really have that chance being limited to a maximum of 3.

Itís not dissimilar to how the revamped Worcestershire Senior Cup works this season, the 9 step 5/6 teams play in round 1 and 2 before the 5 step 2/3/4 clubs come in at the quarter finals.

I would imagine in both cases the more senior clubs would have been instrumental in how they are structured. If the : EFL clubs wanted their teams in the B&B cup from the first round they would be.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 17, 2019, 12:05 PM

Post #3 of 7 (4234 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Wijit99] Berks and Bucks overly complicated cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Oxon Senior Cup has exemptions at two or three stages, with the clubs above Step 5 not coming in until the QFs. I doubt that it's that unusual.

Rob North
First Team Star

Oct 17, 2019, 12:18 PM

Team(s): Didcot Town, Reading

Post #4 of 7 (4212 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Berks and Bucks overly complicated cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Presumably it's only way that the B & B FA can persuade Reading, MK Dons and Wycombe Wanderers to compete in the competition.

BillShep
Youth Team Regular

Oct 17, 2019, 10:22 PM

Team(s): City of Liverpool FC

Post #5 of 7 (3361 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rob North] Berks and Bucks overly complicated cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Similar happens in the Liverpool Senior Cup..
The bigger clubs don't want their youngsters getting kicked about.
Liverpool don't enter anymore with Everton & Tranmere nearly always getting a bye to the last 8, once I recall even a bye to the semis.
It's also so that you don't loose too many clubs in the first round.

----------------------------------------------------------
Evo-Stick North/West Division 1919/20
North West Counties Premier Division Champions 2018/19
City of Liverpool FC - Debut season 2016/17

56th ground watching CoLFC - The Recreation Ground, Pickering Town v CoLFC Won 3-0 Att: 140
Latest new ground
86th The Recreation Ground, Pickering Town

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 18, 2019, 10:24 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #6 of 7 (3051 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BillShep] Berks and Bucks overly complicated cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A similarly complicated arrangement happens in the FA Cup. Everyone seems to cope.

RussWWFC
First Team Star

Oct 19, 2019, 8:25 AM

Team(s): Wycombe Wanderers

Post #7 of 7 (2336 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rob North] Berks and Bucks overly complicated cup [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Presumably it's only way that the B & B FA can persuade Reading, MK Dons and Wycombe Wanderers to compete in the competition.

After a seven-year absence, I'm disappointed that I'll be only seeing three games maximum

Visit my Blog - The Wycombe Wanderer
Follow me on Twitter @RussWWFC

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3