First Team Star

Sep 28, 2019, 4:49 PM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 61 (9867 views)
Shortcut
Saturday 28th September 2019 Can't Post or Reply Privately

Northowram 6 Sowerby U 4
Halifax & District League Cup

Entertaining stuff between the bottom two teams in the top division.
Northowram led via a very early penalty, were soon behind, but led 4-2 at the break. They were never in danger thereafter, with the away team pulling goals back to make it 5-3 and 6-4.
Northowram have moved this season to a pitch way out at the back of Old Brodleains RUFC at Hipperholme, thanks to SteveB's post for alerting me of this. Better facilities for them socially, and training wise, but not even roped off in this distant field.

(This post was edited by noprogs on Sep 28, 2019, 4:55 PM)

Dave 56
First Team Sub

Sep 28, 2019, 5:12 PM

Team(s): Leatherhead

Post #2 of 61 (9852 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] Saturday 28th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Staffs County Senior, Prem. Div. (F&N). Crowd 22.

Cheadle Town 1 v 1 Ashbourne

With jet lag, genuine tiredness and feeling irritable, the nearest new step 7 was my choice today. Thorley drive has a fairly new clubhouse with tea bar. Two pitches, the main one railed off, both had dugouts and were in use today. A grass bank separates the pitches.

I suppose 2nd bottom against 3rd bottom was not the best choice in hindsight.The first half produced a single shot on target from the visitors and two efforts from the home side, the first just chipped over the bar, the second striking it.

I remained slumped against the railing for the second period and fortunately an early home goal livened uproceedings a little. They held onto the lead until conceeding a penalty in the 97th minute.

Both goalkeepers played well and the referee had an excellent game. Good to see a ref tell the keeper to get on with it when he was timewasting.

Back home for 16:50 where my car key fob failed to open my house door! sleep needed.

osborne
First Team Sub

Sep 28, 2019, 5:16 PM

Team(s): Arnold Town/ Loughborough Dynamo

Post #3 of 61 (9852 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] Saturday 28th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Barlestone St. Giles 6 Ketton 0 Leicestershire senior cup.
Admission/ programme- none
Tea £1
h/c 12
With a longer trip planned next week I didn't fancy a long trip so it was a case of a tidying up exercise as I headed to Barlestone two watch them on the near pitch. Little has changed at the ground except for new dugouts built on the first pitch. The clubhouse in the corner was busy with people watching the Premier League game, but few came out to watch the village side. This game saw mid-table Barlestone play second from botton of the Peterborough and district side, Ketton.
After 5 minutes the home side were two up, but gradually Ketton got into the game but lacked a cutting edge. The home side managed to miss several good chances and it was 2-0 at the break. The second half saw the home side improve their finishing and they scored four more including one from the penalty spot. An entertaining game and nice to be home at an early time.

bluearmybob
First Team Sub

Sep 28, 2019, 5:53 PM

Team(s): Ipswich Town FC since April 11th 1966.Groundhopping since January 28th 1989

Post #4 of 61 (9780 views)
Shortcut
Re: [osborne] Saturday 28th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Season ticket duty at Portman Rd. KO 3.00pm.

Sky Bet League 1.

IPSWICH TOWN 4 (1) v (1) TRANMERE ROVERS 1.

Scorers.

Home. L Garbutt (35) K Jackson (48) J Nolan (62) K Vincent-Young (70)

Away. S Payne (39)

Admission by season ticket. Programme £3.50. Attendance 19,785. Away Fans 621.

GROUNDS VISITED.(381) NEW GROUNDS THIS SEASON 2019/20. (12)
GAMES THIS SEASON 2019/20. (22)
GAMES SINCE LAST 0-0. Ipswich Town v Wycombe Wanderers. 26/11/19. (1) BEST RUN OF NOT SEEING A 0-0. (61)
LEAGUES COMPLETED. Championship. League 1. Isthmian League North. ECL Premier Division. SCEFL Premier Division.
FOOTBALL SEEN IN:Bulgaria,Czech Republic,England,France,Greece,Guensey,Holland,Scotland,Switzerland,Turkey & Wales.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Sep 28, 2019, 5:58 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #5 of 61 (9767 views)
Shortcut
Re: [osborne] Saturday 28th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

MFL 1.
Cadbury Athletic 2 Hinckley AFC 2.
In-£5
Prog - £1.50
Att - 80 odd
Carling £3.20
A game where either side could have easily taken maximum points such was the strength in attack and weakness at the back, it added up to a decent encounter but Knitters will feel it is two points dropped and there are worrying aspects of their game that will come back to haunt them come April unless sorted. After many long walks to grounds of late this is a classic with Kings Norton being a around the corner tho it took rather longer on the outwood journey with the decent Camp boozer to break down the journey.

nervous rec
Reserve Team Regular

Sep 28, 2019, 5:59 PM

Team(s): Aldershot Town

Post #6 of 61 (9757 views)
Shortcut

Lewisham Borough 1 Greenways 1
Southern Counties East League Division 1
Admission Free (Community Day) Programme £2

Not a game that will live long in the memory, Lewisham bossed the game from start to finish, but didn’t trouble the opposition goalkeeper very often. They scored half way through the first half, with Greenways equalising 10 minutes later. Don’t think either side will be challenging for promotion on this showing at the end of the season. Arrived via Ladywell rail station, turn right out of the station up to the main road, turn right, and then right again onto the footpath through Ladywell Fields, which is a very pleasant park, with tennis courts, a skateboard slide, children’s play area and plenty of people either walking their dog or jogging. Keeping the railway line immediately to your right, takes less than 10 minutes to arrive at the Ladywell Arena. Entry is behind one of the goals, where there is hard standing, and a few park benches, although with a running track in between it can feel a bit far from the action. Tea bar and changing rooms are also located behind this goal. The near side has a large Atcost seated stand stretching from the corner flag to the half way line, and that is basically all the spectator accommodation, as after the half way line there is a barrier permitting further access, as the running track borders the fence from the far goal and around the far side. The ground is enclosed by a green wire fence, and viewing from outside the ground would be possible.

Divisions completed: SW Peninsula League Premier Division West, Welsh Premier League, JD Cymru South Division, JD Cyrmu North, Airtricity Irish Premier, Gibraltar Divisions 1 & 2

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 28, 2019, 6:15 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #7 of 61 (9714 views)
Shortcut

Scottish Junior Cup - Round 2
Arthurlie 1-5 Beith Juniors
Dunterlie Park, Barrhead
Admission £6/£3
Programme - yes didn't buy
Attendance 500

With my first choice, Craigmark v Kilsyth falling foul of the weather, I opted for a trip into the unposh bit of East Ren. for my Junior Cup fix.

The defection of the half dozen East clubs who could at least dream of living with the best in the West has weakened the Junior Cup - but it was still a decent turn out of fans for this one, filling nicely the popular side of Dunterlie Park.

Dunterlie is one of the more weird Junior grounds. One side has seven or eight steps of very deep terracing running its length with a covered enclosure in the middle. Despite the abundance of concrete there is a two metre strip of grass between the pitch barrier and the first step of terracing. Behind one goal there is more concrete terracing varying in number of steps, height and in the direction it faces. Opposite the popular side is a narrow strip hemmed in by the road beyond. Half the length is accessible, the other half is too narrow to admit anyone. The other end houses the pavilion and what looks like a shebeen (I think one would enter at one's peril), has some tarmac hard standing, lots of grass and no terracing.

A lot of the concrete is starting to crumble and it needs to be attended to soon, or it will be beyond repair.

I have yet to find decent maps, let alone photos, to show what Dunterlie Park was like when it hosted Scottish League football.

As for the match, it was never in doubt. This was my second successive 5-1 away win in games I thought would be pretty competitive. Beith bossed the game from start to finish without ever looking world beaters. They simply had too much for a poor Arthurlie side who had their keeper to thank for keeping the goal tally semi-respectable.

And the Tunnock's Caramel Wafer Cup must be having its effect because the chap on the PA system welcomed fans to this "Macaroon Scottish Junior Cup tie"

Last week's 1-5 was in the sterile environs of Broadwood Stadium. The crumbling hulk of Dunterlie had so much more to commend it.

(This post was edited by PaulC on Sep 28, 2019, 6:20 PM)

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Sep 28, 2019, 6:19 PM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #8 of 61 (9704 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nervous rec] Saturday 28th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

National League

Eastleigh 1 Hartlepool U 1

admission S/T, otherwise £15, programme £2-00, attendance 1837 (107 away)
16th v 17th
The home team, with several injuries, produced their customary second-half improvement to salvage a draw against a Pools side who passed the ball nicely but lacked real penetration. Eastleigh could even have won it but for a saved penalty.
The visitors stared well and dominated early possession. They scored with their first real attempt on target, after 12 mins, when Toure beat Seaman on the left, came inside, and dinked a lovely shot past keeper and two defenders. The home team came back and Atkinson had a header that he got all wrong and it went way wide. Pools continued to pass it around but couldn't make any chances against good defending. The home team came close on the break as a lovely cross by Smart on the right missed all comers. The Spitfires' forward combination of Williamson and Barnes didn't seem to work, as the latter was far too wide on the left, but the midfield gained back some of the advantage in the latter part of the first half, and they again came close near to half-time as Smart's cross fizzed past the two forwards, in position this time, but not really attacking the ball. HT 0-1.
Again the hairdryer worked at half time and the home team came out with much more purpose, getting stuck in. To their credit the visitors continued to play football and not resort to some of the tactics seen at the Silverlake by several visiting sides this season when taking the lead. Kennedy was allowed to turn in the home area but his shot was saved. Miley had a shot deflected over for the home team, and shortly afterwards Atkinson was bundled down in the area for an Eastleigh penalty. Williamson took it but Killip, in a hideous yellow/pink kit, guessed right and saved. Kioso curled just over for the visitors before a good move by the home saw the ball passed along the penalty area to Smart, who tried to sidefoot it on and Killip saved with his legs. The visiting keeper also had to turn a Miley shot around the post, but from the corner Hollands glanced in at the near post for the equaliser - his sixth goal of the season from midfield. The visitors came back; Cunningham's overhead kick from a corner was blocked and Toure was free on the left of the area but slipped and shot wide. The home team went for the winner in the last ten mins and sub Bearwish, the hero at Torquay on Tuesday, struck a volley well but just over, and sub Barnett glanced a header wide in injury time, but a draw was a fair result.

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on Sep 28, 2019, 6:55 PM)

Ashtree RockBee
First Team Star

Sep 28, 2019, 6:20 PM

Team(s): Ashford Town (Middlesex), Bognor Regis Town, Brentford

Post #9 of 61 (9702 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Saturday 28th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Middlesex County League, Premier Division –
Lampton Park 2 Hillingdon 1
Spectator headcount 13
Admission free, no programme, coffee £2.50

Having agreed to watch a freeform jazz gig in the evening (hmmm, niiiiice), I needed a quick and easy hop near to home.

Lampton Park play at the recently built Middlesex FA facility at Rectory Park in Northolt, which is effective, efficient and, like most new builds, lacking in character. The artificial pitch used for Lampton Park games is caged, floodlit and has two Atcost stands, each with 75 seats in red and blue striped rows, either side of the halfway line.

A word to the wise here for the hardcore completist hopper – spectators can only watch from the one side, the dugouts are positioned on the other (inaccessible) flank which makes it difficult to obtain lineups if that’s your bag, and there was no programme. Maybe the Middlesex County League have finally relaxed their rule about compulsory programme issue in their top flight but it was ironic that, at my eighth ground in this competition, my first failure to get a Middlesex County League prog was at the league’s very own county headquarters.

Hillingdon arrived with a 100% record from their first four league fixtures but with just one sub and two players not fully fit. It didn’t show in a fast and furious half of neat close passes from both teams. Hillingdon took the lead in the 10th minute when a low right wing cross deflected off a defender and the wrongfooted keeper could only palm it goalwards, though Hillingdon striker Tyler Hayles claimed the last touch. They let Lampton Park back into the game with a penalty for a trip in the box which (I think) Jak Winter converted low into the right hand corner in the 34th. The homesters started the second half much better but Hillingdon got back on top before conceding a second needless penalty ten minutes from time, which Winter hit harder into the same corner to clinch the points.

Dribble!
First Team Sub

Sep 28, 2019, 6:23 PM

Team(s): Ipswich Town

Post #10 of 61 (9679 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bluearmybob] Saturday 28th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also at Ipswich - Tranmere Rovers

Top of the league, but did not play that well and Tranmere at least won on the corner count! ( paulh66 will be pleased to know that Lord Norwood missed another one on one)

Last New ground; Tiptree Heath, Games in 2019/20 Season; 60, New Grounds this Season; 29, Next scheduled game: tbc
http://portmanroadtothesansiro.blogspot.co.uk/

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 28, 2019, 6:31 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #11 of 61 (9652 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nervous rec] Saturday 28th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Crowle Colts 5 Thorne Colliery 2 (HT 4-0)
Central Midlands League, North
Free admission
Programme £1.50 (12pp, tidy)
Attendance 135 (h/c, almost half left after 45 minutes)
Tea, coffee, booze and confectionery available (didn't bother)

An odd, wind-affected derby effectively over by the 17th minute. Thorne were reduced to 10 by a 16th-minute red card following a tackle more clumsy than spiteful then fell behind within 60 seconds. To the audible anguish of their supporters, the visitors pretty much gave up for the rest of the first half. Crowle, who'd seen a fifth-minute 'goal' ruled out for offside, an unpopular decision by a female assistant, added to their tally in the 30th, 33rd and 38th minutes. The fourth, an own goal, summed up Thorne's attitude. Crowle also struck the crossbar and forced several good saves from the opposition keeper. Wholesale interval substitutions (and, I daresay, a bollocking from their manager) led to a much more committed Thorne display in the second half. The visitors got back into it by scoring in the 62nd and 76th minutes. Crowle, denied twice more by the visitors' impressive keeper, added a soft fifth with two minutes of normal time remaining before a flowing Thorne passing movement ended with a shot - virtually the last kick - against the inside of a post. After three straight defeats, these were Crowle's first home points of the season. The match began in sunshine but most of the second half was played out amid heavy rain. A stiff breeze blew across the pitch throughout. Can't think of anywhere bleaker than North Lincolnshire when the weather is wet and windy, and the vast skies sullen.

Given it caters merely for two villages in the middle of nowhere, Windsor Park, managed by the Crowle & Ealand Playing Field Association, is a surprisingly decent multi-pitch facility. The senior pitch, roped off everywhere bar the south end, is nearest a large, single-storey clubhouse, which offers dressing rooms, a function room, loos and a bar. Programmes and pin badges, along with tea and coffee, are sold from a table next to the clubhouse entrance. Portable dug-outs are opposite, a small car park alongside. Overspill parking on Godnow Road. The clubhouse canopy (and the groundsman's store, to which I fled) provides the only cover. Neither hardstanding nor floodlights. No scenery, either, because it's pancake flat North Lincolnshire. Hedgerows, not high enough to act as windbreaks, fringe the site. Must be grim here in the depths of winter. The village centre, a pub and a few shops clinging steadfastly to life, is half-a-mile away. To the south, beyond cavernous barns stuffed floor to ceiling with hay bales, freight trains and doomed Pacers rumble and clatter (respectively) along the Scunthorpe-Doncaster railway line.

Three times Windsor Park's usual crowd present at kick-off because Crowle's under-sevens, most of them accompanied by their parents, gave the teams a guard of honour welcome to the pitch. Almost half the spectators, mostly the family element, had headed for home before the second half began. Can't say I blame them. The first half simply wasn't a contest.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Sep 28, 2019, 7:00 PM)

FatCat
Junior Team Star

Sep 28, 2019, 6:49 PM

Team(s): Witham Town, Rochdale & West Ham United

Post #12 of 61 (9579 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Saturday 28th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Flitch United 1-1 Tiptree Heath (HT: 1-1)
Essex & Suffolk Border League Premier Division (step 7)
5th v 6th (16 team division)
Admission: Free
Programme: No
Attendance: 11 h/c

Flitch United had a poor start to the season, including a 6-0 defeat at White Notley (which I attended), but they have been on a good run of late that saw them sat comfortably in the top half of the table at kick off.

Despite only being 11 miles from home the closure of the A120 west of Braintree meant it took me just over half an hour to reach the ground.
As like most of the venues in this league, Alcotts Park has no hard standing, cover or seats nor anywhere to buy refreshments.
There was a toilet for public use in the changing room block and the pitch is roped off.

I was surprised to see proper linesmen as it is usually uninterested subs running the line at this level.
These two teams were close in the table and the contest proved the same.
Played out in windy, but sunny conditions, Flitch took the lead early on in the first half, but then had a couple of scares soon after, before Tiptree equalised.
There seemed to be a delay in restarting the game for no obvious reason until a Flitch official entered the pitch with a shovel to dispose of some previously unnoticed dog mess!
It’s the first time I’ve ever seen a game stopped for that reason.
The second half saw both sides basically cancel each other out without either goal really being threatened.

gcnc
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 28, 2019, 6:54 PM

Team(s): Newport County

Post #13 of 61 (9561 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Saturday 28th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FAW Welsh Cup 2QR
Fairwater 0 Garden Village 4
Admission & 8 page programme £2.50 Attendance h/c 65

The lowest ranked side remaining in the competition, from the Tier 8 Cardiff Combination League, were comfortably beaten by their visitors from the five steps higher Welsh League Division 1 on an entertaining afternoon at Poplar Park. Three goals in the twenty minutes before half time and a second half penalty were enough for Garden Village who were always just that little bit quicker to the ball, faster in their reactions and on top in the one-to-ones. Having said that, Fairwater were far from disgraced and more than held their own in the first quarter.

Poplar Park is a municipal playing field in the middle of the Fairwater Housing Estates, sharing the dressing room / clubhouse with the local bowls club. The pitch is fully railed but there are no spectator facilities such as cover or hard standing. Despite the heavy rain of the last 36 hours, which was enough to claim other Welsh Cup ties, the pitch was in fine condition and the game never in doubt. Like others at the match I had Cardiff Met's game on 3G as my back up if there had been a last minute problem, but the last minute problem turned out to be there!!

A colourful but basic programme was available. The price of £2.50 was meant to cover admission as well, but I suspect that the vast majority of those watching got in for free. Among the crowd were some familiar faces from the 'hopping community, though others from the South Wales 'hopperati' were absent having done the ground in the First qualifying Round when they also issued.

Atavistic
Reserve Team Star

Sep 28, 2019, 7:34 PM

Team(s): Norwich City, Yaxley

Post #14 of 61 (9347 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gcnc] Saturday 28th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Combined Counties League Premier Division
Camberley Town 0 Southall 0

Admission: £7, Programme: Online only
Attendance: 40 h/c

The only notable incident in the entire 90 minutes came in the 13th minute when Southall had a goal disallowed for handball, though only after the referee initially gave the goal before speaking to his linesman: Jack Mills' initial shot was blocked by a defender and hit his hand before dropping down for him to volley into the net. After it was disallowed, Southall's Peter Dean was sin-binned for his complaints.

Other than this, the match was 90 minutes of nothingness and was a truly terrible affair, comfortably as bad as I've seen in 2019.

The only good things about the day were that it barely rained and that the burger on offer at the ground was pretty good.

The ground wasn't too bad either, with a large covered terrace behind the near goal and a seated stand just beyond the turnstiles and clubhouse (with further cover provided in the form of a large overhang from the clubhouse roof).

2019/20 stats (including Pre-Season):

New Grounds: 19 (Most Recent: Marlow)
Games: 28
Goals: 96
Goals Per Game (to 2 dp): 3.43
0-0s: 1

My Blog: https://thetortoisetravels.blogspot.co.uk/

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

Sep 28, 2019, 7:39 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #15 of 61 (9314 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gcnc] Saturday 28th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

North West Counties League Division 1 South
Wythenshawe Amateurs v New Mills 0-2 (adm £4, prog £2, att 140)

After the downpours of today and recent days, and Altrincham's early postponement, I left home unsure where I was heading. I settled on Hollyhedge Park and, happily, this match survived, although there were late postponements elsewhere, including at Wythenshawe Town.

The Ammies may be less happy about things at the moment, though, as their manager and match day secretary have both resigned in the last few days. Today's defeat also gave New Mills their first victory of the season.

The visitors went ahead through Nathan Webb following a goalkeeper error on 36 minutes. He tried to prevent a corner, but lost possession in doing so, giving the attacker a free shot at goal. The goalkeeper's decision making seemed suspect throughout, but he did partially redeem himself by saving a penalty from Shenton on 50 minutes. However, Darren McKnight scored in the ensuing scramble.

Hollyhedge Park is becoming a very pleasant ground in an unusually leafy part of Wythenshawe, right on the border with Gatley. Since my last visit, floodlights have gone up, two payboxes have been erected, and the single stand has been fitted out with seats. I travelled on the X5 bus from Sale to the Sharston roundabout on the M56, from where it's a short walk/drive to the ground, but most public transport users would probably find Gatley station more useful. In fact, before the match I carried on past the ground to Gatley, where the Horse and Farrier served several Hyde's beers, but was quieter than I had been expecting.

(This post was edited by Sale Holmfield on Sep 28, 2019, 7:41 PM)

stingray
First Team Star

Sep 28, 2019, 7:54 PM

Team(s): Step 4/5 local sides

Post #16 of 61 (9209 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] Saturday 28th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

South Midlands Premier Division
CRAWLEY GREEN 7-1 LONDON COLNEY
Admission & Prog £7.00 Tea/Coffee £1.00 each
Attendance 30 (about right)

My previous visit this season saw seven goals but there’s always room for improvement and so it showed. A lob and a penalty saw Crawley Green go 2-0 up at the break but in the second half they really turned it on, tearing their unfortunate visitors apart who may have been distracted by their rather eye-catching shirts, complete with individual QR codes. London Colney’s goal, when it came, appeared to be one of those blink-and-you’ll-miss-it occasions as it elicited no reaction from anyone.

2019/20 stats

58 goals in 16 games
£161.15 spent

Oldludensian
Junior Team Regular

Sep 28, 2019, 8:01 PM

Team(s):

Post #17 of 61 (9155 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stingray] Saturday 28th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Northern Counties East League Premier Division

Maltby Main 1. Grimsby Borough. 4

Att. 63. £5/3

Astonishingly fine performance from Borough to outplay one of the better sides in this division. Against strong pressing from the home side, Grimsby retained and passed the ball, opening the defence with ease on the counter.

Lewis Bemrose and then Adam Drury scored fifteen minutes either side of the break as some desperate defending from Maltby failed to clear their goal line. Bemrose finished a delightful through ball with a quarter of an hour to go, then Caine Winfarrah curled into the top corner from the edge of a packed penalty area, the best of the four.

It looked like Grimsby’s back three would finally achieve a clean sheet which their performance today deserved, but Morton headed home from close range on ninety minutes. Maltby only produced one other notable effort, which brought a top class save from Scott Drury, high to his right.

It is not easy to play on this pitch which slopes from end to end, side to side, and corner to corner. At this lowest corner lies a sizeable brick pavilion which once was more attuned to the neighbouring cricket field. At half time a majority of the small crowd ascended to the first story to eat the Committee sandwiches and get a cup of tea. The lack of a clubhouse gives this exposed venue a bleak aspect.

Very sad to see the Miners Welfare across Muglet Lane now closed. However Wetherspoon’s extensive Queens Hotel, ten minutes walk up the road, is greatly improved, Loch Lomond and Ilkley beers excellent today. How times change.

codofthenorth
First Team Regular

Sep 28, 2019, 8:52 PM

Post #18 of 61 (8851 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Oldludensian] Saturday 28th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or

Clitheroe 2-1 Sheffield Fc...FA Trophy...Adm £8...Prog £2...Cuppa £1.

Theres not many better grounds to visit in the hill's of Lancashire. The plan was to do Waddington 2 miles down the road and catch the second half here. The Waddington game was a casualty of the weather along with most of the East Lancs fixture card.
Leaving the coast, there wasnt a cloud in sight and it remained that way till around kick off. Eventually the fine drizzle kicked in and it grew steadily heavier warranting a trip to the car at half time for the brolleys.

As for the game, there was nothing between the sides. Sheffield opened the scoring on 34 minutes through No 8 Lee Cooksey. There were a few chances for both sides but it was Sheffield who took a 0-1 lead into the dressing rooms at h.t.
Sheffield seemed in control after the restart, until Clitheroe equalised!! Their No 6 squared the game on 68 minutes, this seemed to give them fresh impetus and it was anybody's game again. The last throw of the dice saw two Clitheroe subs in the 89th minute as the linesman indicated 3 minutes of added on time.

The Clitheroe manager was urging his players to get forward for one last effort and he was rewarded when No 10 Conner Gaul beat two players and went daft celebrating. I had it as being in the 90+4 minute just time for the game to restart and the final whistle to blow.

Decent crowd of 272, Clitheroe's reward a home tie with Prescot Cables.

A steady drive back West with regular bow waves off the car as the flooded A59 was reduced to a crawl in places. No real changes at Shawbridge ground wise.

pinewoodste
First Team Star

Sep 28, 2019, 9:02 PM

Team(s): Whoever plays Ipswich Town

Post #19 of 61 (8775 views)
Shortcut
Re: [codofthenorth] Saturday 28th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I arrived in Witchford passing the sign to my ground but I wanted to take a look at the other ground at the College where the Dvision 4C game was being played on the 3G between The Isle v Fen Tigers Engineers. There is a viewing area inside the cage. I opted for the higher level game as I suppose in dodgy weather W96 could use this venue as well.

Kershaw Cambridgeshire County League Senior A Division
Witchford ‘96 3 (10, 26 & 92+)
AFC Barley Mow 2 (28 & 38, SB 48)
KO: 15:00 ATT: 29 h/c Cost: Free Saw no progs

Venue: Witchford Recreation Ground, Witchford Sports & Social Club (one sign on the buildings advises this while another sign advises Witchford Village Hall & Playing Fields), Bedwell Hey Lane, Witchford

I’m not sure that the playing field could fit 2 pitches but the one pitch is fairly central so there’s fairly wide grass areas all round although slightly less so behind one goal where there are some trees & a mixture of different types of houses. The near side has in most of half the brick building which houses the nice clubhouse (The entrance was locked up but at h/t I saw someone use a door down the side. This building had so many doors.) & changing rooms. There’s a decent sized bit of overhang with h/s under the high roof. In one corner is a kids play area with some benches as well as picnic tables/chairs. In the other half is part of the small car park with a hedge at an angle going behind other goal with trees beyond. Other side has see through fence then a field with some trees & beyond is industrial estate.

Match: 4th v 5th out of 14 & 1pt separated the top 5 teams.
This could’ve been the best match I’d seen this season but the conditions made this hard work. Early in the game was a brief steady shower but the whole game was played in a strong wind. There was plenty of sun. Temperature was ok despite the wind.

W96 with the wind behind them started strong & a long range shot found the corner of the net. BM had a chance but it was headed over on 20mins. W96 had a chance on 23mins but the shot was weak. A couple of mins later the gk tipped over a cross & then a header from a corner made it 2-0. 118 seconds later BM did exactly the same scoring a header from a corner. W96 free kick on 31mins went just wide & a minute later a glancing header beat the gk but defender cleared the ball. A good passing move led to BM’s equalizer. Somehow the ref played over 3mins injury time. Shots 11-7.

The tv in the clubhouse had NOW 80’s music channel on at h/t. H/t lasted just over 10mins.
A flicked shot by BM was saved 71 seconds after the re-start. BM then had player yellow carded & sin-binned on 48mins. W96 had a chance on 58mins but shot poorly wide & 3mins later the gk saved with his leg. BM hit the post on 72mins. Just as it seemed a draw, a powerful long range shot by W96 was comfortably saved by the gk but he spilled the ball & caught it but it was over the line. Shots 7-5.

For approx. 5 miles back it was a slower journey due to a tractor between outskirts of Ely to Soham. Once it turned off it was a good run home.

barcud-coch
First Team Star

Sep 28, 2019, 9:06 PM

Post #20 of 61 (8754 views)
Shortcut
Re: [codofthenorth] Saturday 28th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Barmouth and Dyffryn United 0 Llanidloes Town 1

Wern Mynach: JD Welsh Cup Second Qualifying Round

This was my first visit to the Lock Stock Welsh Alliance club for just over five years when I was at the ground for a Welsh Groundhop fixture against Llanrwst United. The already well-appointed Wern Mynach ground has not changed a great deal over the intervening period but the main addition to the facilities have been the installation of floodlights. The Magpies entertained JD Cymru Premier club Caernarfon Town last year in a friendly fixture to officially open the lights. Wern Mynach, which is sandwich by a large hill overlooking the town and the nearby beach, has a small seated stand, refreshment facilities and a club shop in addition to being fully railed around the playing area. The hosts issued a bumper 58-page that would put many JD Cymru Premier clubs to shame with it wide-ranging content. Barmouth and Dyffryn United suffered relegation from the top echelon of the Lock Stock Welsh Alliance at the conclusion of last season and have experienced a mixed start to the current campaign. The Magpies went into this afternoon's JD Welsh Cup tie following a 3-0 victory at former Cymru Alliance club Amlwch Town last weekend. Llanidloes Town missed out on promotion last term to the second tier of the domestic pyramid as Llanfair United pipped the Daffs to the MMP with Norman Lloyd Mid Wales League First Division title on goal difference. That disappointed, however, has seemingly not impacted too much on the Montgomeryshire club's form this season as they sat unbeaten at the summit of the First Division table after their opening ten matches. Llanidloes Town came into their trip north following a 5-2 home league victory over Kerry on Tuesday evening. The Magpies enjoyed a narrow 1-0 success at Abermule in the previous round and their opponents had received an exemption. The teams met in this competition a couple of years at Victoria Avenue when the hosts recorded a 3-0 victory on that occasion.

The MMP with Norman Lloyd Mid Wales League First Division leaders made a strong start to this afternoon tie as they saw a low shot fly narrowly wide of the target in the eighth minute before seeing a shot held by the home custodian five minutes later. The Daffs headed wide from a 16th minute free-kick delivered into the Barmouth and Dyffryn United penalty area before a cross was delivered into the host's penalty area eight minutes later and forced the home goalkeeper to make a smart save after the ball deflected off one of his defenders. Despite not creating too many chances of their own in the open stages, the magpies enjoyed their fair share of possession in the opening quarter, but their first real sight of goal arrived in the 28th minute after a long throw into the Llanidloes Town penalty area was headed goalwards. Josh Hartrick cut in from the left flank and flashed shot into the near post side netting before Connor Bird turned the ball into the net before the interval but was denied by an offside flag. The former Knighton Town striker was not to be denied though, four minutes after the interval, when he ran on to a cross from the left and fired an unstoppable drive from the edge of the Barmouth and Dyffryn United penalty area. The Magpies flashed a shot wide of the far post on the turn by a home forward in the 56th minute before the Daffs responded by firing an effort wide of goal three minutes later after a corner failed to be cleared properly by the home defence. The visitors should have doubled their lead in the 63rd minute when Bird fired over from close range after the Magpies' custodian flapped at a cross from out on the left before the hosts saw a shot on target blocked five minutes later following a cross swung over from the right-hand touchline. Llanidloes Town had another good opportunity to increase their lead in the 71st minute when they saw a couple of efforts on goal blocked after George Clarke broke down the left and pulled the back from the byline but a single goal was enough to progress through to the next round of the competition.

2019/20 Statistics
Goals: 324
Matches: 63
New Grounds: 16

rich765
Junior Team Sub

Sep 28, 2019, 9:09 PM

Team(s): Chelmsford City

Post #21 of 61 (8731 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pinewoodste] Saturday 28th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Isthmian premier league

AFC Hornchurch 4 - 0 Bishops Stortford

Entrance fee £12 att 315

adji
Reserve Team Star

Sep 28, 2019, 9:19 PM

Team(s): Birmingham City ,Clevedon Town and whoever else i want to watch

Post #22 of 61 (8680 views)
Shortcut

Midland League 2

Hampton 2 Earlswood Town 3

Pointless Earlswood got their season up and running in a feisty encounter at Field Lane . This was an enjoyable local derby that sometimes looked to boil over but on balance Earlswood deserved it . My report is online now

https://adjithegroundhopper.wordpress.com

Please feel free to visit my blog at http://adjithegroundhopper.wordpress.com/

Andy D
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 28, 2019, 10:07 PM

Team(s): 1874 Northwich, Forfar Athletic, Castleford RLFC, Lancashire CCC,

Post #23 of 61 (8407 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adji] Saturday 28th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Whipton & Pinhoe 4 Kentisbeare 2, Devon & Exeter League Premier Division, Att: 30, Admission/ Prog: No

Since Whipton & Pinhoe took up residence at Exeter Arena this was a ground I'd been meaning to get to, not knowing how long it would remain their home. In recent years they have made giant strides through the Devon & Exeter divisions and now find themselves in the top division. Exeter Arena is tucked away to the north of the city and was a little tricky to find using Sally Satnav, wjo directed me to an adjacent housing estate. The main feature is an impressive stand with room for 400 or so on bench seating and although there are several posts and an eight lane running track between spectator and action, the view is more than acceptable. The rest of the stadium is surrounded by steep grass banking which provided us (myself, Tim and Richard Rundle) with an excellent first half viewpoint before we retired to the stand as rain threatened. Most watched from pitchside, a rope through petmanent stakes acting as a barrier. The game was a slow burner, an early own goal gave league strugglers Kentisbeare a lead which lasted until just before half time when the home side levelled. The visitors went ahead again just after the break but then two speculative 35 yard efforts in three minutes just after the hour mark turned the game deservedly in Whipton's favour. A late fourth sealed the points in what was the first home game of the season at the Arena. Whipton & Pinhoe appear to have ambition but they would hope to attract more than the 30 or so watching today.

Rules of Groundhopping:

Rule 1 - There are no rules
Rule 2 - See rule 1.....

dtr1989
Youth Team Regular

Sep 28, 2019, 10:12 PM

Team(s): Bury

Post #24 of 61 (8388 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adji] Saturday 28th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Stockport Town 2-2 Ellesmere Rangers

North West Counties Division 1 South
Admission - £5
Programme - £2 good quality
Attendance - 40

Stockport Sports Village

The venue is a 3g pitch with 2 stands. There is a half arsed attempt at a stand behind the goal with seats missing and looking like a health and safety officers nightmare. There is also a stand on the touchline which looks newish which is raised and offers good views. You probably get the best views from the gym which overlooks the pitch also. A purpose built, pretty soulless place.

Ellesmere headed up from Shropshire propping up the bottom of the league with just 3 points from 10 games and a -30 goal differance. Stockport were 16th with 10 points from 9 games. Ellesmere started the game well however Stockport were popping long range shots off but none troubled the keeper too much. Ellesmere took the lead through William Wells, the big striker who hit a nice left footed shot into the bottom left. They went into half time in the lead. The 2nd half started well, and one of those long range shots from Stockport paid off with the keeper making a bad mistake and the ball slipping under him. Stockport took the lead following another goalkeeping error leading to a corner, the ball was nodded back across goal and substitute Connor Bass smashed the ball in. Ellesmere struggled to make their man advantage count, and I witnessed my first sin bin of the season with the Ellesmere striker slamming the ball on the ground making the teams even. Ellesmere pushed for the equaliser and a Ellesmere player appeared to be pulled down in the box by Bass but the referee gave a free kick on the 18 yard line. It didn't matter in the end as Tawanda Melusi smashed the free kick into the top right corner.

https://thepartialview.sport.blog/

hotchkiss
First Team Sub

Sep 28, 2019, 10:21 PM

Team(s): wolves,non league

Post #25 of 61 (8319 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andy D] Saturday 28th September 2019 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

WILLINGTON AFC (0) 2 HEATON STANNINGTON (1) 2 Northern League 2.Admission £5 / £3.Programme £1..Att; 80 approx. One of the grounds I have been looking forward to visiting for quite a few years.With its old stand on the far side and plenty of grass banking around the ground.Behind either goal there is a small covered standing area with a small overhang on the dressing room area.A super old ground.Probably a fair result to a decent game.No spectator car park but plenty of street parking.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3