Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Ground Hopping & Programmes: International Hopping:
Guatemala / Belize / Mexico

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 23, 2019, 4:11 PM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #1 of 5 (9695 views)
Shortcut
Guatemala / Belize / Mexico Can't Post or Reply Privately

On holiday in Central America and some speculative planning came to fruition and hopefully will be brininging me games in all 3 countries, started with Guatemala
Liga Nacional Antigua GFC 1-0 Deportivo Petapa
Admission: 40Q (approx 4) for a Preferente ticket
Attendance: c 2000
Estadio Pensativo is an easy 15 minute walk north-west of the city centre. Touts sell tickets or you can go to the ticket office which is at the south entrance. There's 1 tribune (with cover) with the other 3 sides being a continuous curved terracing. High barbed wire fences prevent pitchside entry and push people to congregate at the top of the terracing. There were no visible travelling fans, despite this being one of the shorter journeys. I got chatting to a Fulham fan out here quite a bit and he'd never seen any visiting fans.
The town is surrounded by hills and 3 volcanoes, so a very picturesque setting.
The homesters had 2 bands and green flares to keep the atmosphere going.
Guatemala haven't enjoyed the success of other Central American countries and whilst football is still very popular, the footballing prowesse on show was not great. This was only the 2nd round of games in the Clausura season, but Antigua are generally title contenders whilst Petapa are more mid-table. The visitors never had a shot on target all game but Antigua made it hard for themselves having a man sent off shortly after taking the lead with a good cross and header. They had the better opportunities to score again but could not.
Antigua is probably the safest city in Guatemala. It also has 2 brewpubs, the Antigua Brewing Co and Antigua Cerveza - around the corner from each other. Both were sampled, along with 'Bullseye sports pub', where I was able to watch Arsenal v Chelsea - some Arsenal shirts but more Wales and Everton gear, though hipkissexpress assures me he hasn't been (yet)!
Good start to the holiday

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (968) Dusseldorfer Strasse DSV 1900 1-4 DJK Blau Weiss Mintard
With FC United: 136
On the agenda:
4/12 Hamburg II v Luneburg Hansa
7/12 Fc United v Matlock Town

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 29, 2019, 6:11 AM

Post #2 of 5 (9167 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oftenscore6] Guatemala / Belize / Mexico [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Pt 2 Belize Premier League
Verdes FC 2-0 Freedom Fighters (aka PG)
Admission: 10 BZD (c4)
Attendance: c400
Great fun at this Belizean Premier League game. Mostly down to the stadium announcer, who was not afraid to lambast his own team's players for any rolling around on the floor "Get up, stand up, fight for yoiur team, don't leave your teammates a man down", Also "don't be fooled by the size of the man (PG's goalkeeper was short on height but not on waistline), he floats like a feather". These pearls of wisdom were dispensed over the stadium tannoy, including in the run-up for the penalty kick which secured the 2-0 win. They wer occasionally interspersed with some Spanish (with a couple of the home sides being imports) and plenty of encouragement for the Green Machine, without disrepecting the visitors.
No singing, or drums, and quite a sizeable number of females in the crowd. Everyone was either on the terrace on one side, or behind the goal where the beer tent was (3 local beers in bottles). There were a small number of away fans, despite Punta Gorda being a 4 hour drive away near the SE border with Guatemala.
Verdes were sponsored by Hobbs Microbrewery, but I am yet to find any local establishment for their beers, thhe nearest appearing to be in Placencia, 3/4 of the way to PG, and home to BPL side Altitude. Belikin has an almost complete monopoly on beer here and Lighthouse Lager, 'Beer' (standard lager) and Stout were available. I also managed to source a leftover bottle of the Xmas special Sorrel Stout today - untappd app doing a great job of sourcing this well past the initial deliveries. The Stout is pretty decent, Sorrel Stout too. You can also get a local variety of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout, brewed by Belikin.
The home side have their heart set on finishing 1st in the Clausura, and hope to round this part off with a playoff win also - and now lead the table by 3 points. They had too much for the visitors, who fought gamely and it was in the balance until a late penalty. That should have been offisde, but a shove in the box went unrewarded 2 minutes later, which even the PG fans considered the result fair overall. All very good natured and a really nice time had.
Now on to Inter Playa del Carmen next Saturday.

Last new football ground (968) Dusseldorfer Strasse DSV 1900 1-4 DJK Blau Weiss Mintard
On the agenda:

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 3, 2019, 6:01 AM

Post #3 of 5 (8122 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oftenscore6] Guatemala / Belize / Mexico [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

After two Sunday games, I was backn to a Saturday for Mexico
Liga Premier Serie A (level 3)
Inter Playa del Carmen 2-0 Yalmakan
Admission: free
Attendance: 400-500
Inter have a town centre 2 side ground (both ends unavailble to the public), each side having an uncovered 12 large step terrace fine dor sitting on. There were 2 home ultra groups, a more European style on the Inter exclusively home side, and a Brazilian style set on the mixed side (no segregation today, though it was a Yucatan derby). Both bands also had airhorns and to be honest, first half were pretty tuneless, though they made plenty of noise. The visitors, with 100-125 fans, had an excellent band and plenty of toe tapping rhythms supplemented with singing and jumping about - the conrete terrace (unroofed) was bouncing at some points. Second half some extra rhythm arrived for the hoesters and there were more competitive music wise but the vistors won the day in that respect IMHO. Several flares on both sides, unusually the homesters seemed to have modified fire extinguisher available to generate some further outbursts.
On the pitch, a heavy shower an hour before kick off sat very heavily in the centre in particular. In England many a non-league ref would have had this off for waterlogging, but the practicalities of a 4 hour drive for the visitors sensibly kept the game on and both teams had the same to contend with. Out wide, the ball ran true, but dribbling through the centre was asking for trouble. Not much to report first half - the visitors had a goal disallowed for offside, and there was a slew of bookings for misjuments, which looked harsh given the conditions. Sadly, the homesters scored late in the first half pouncing on a half cleared corner. Lots of possession for the visitors second half but they lacked the final third quality to equalise. Two very good chances were spurned, a great save and perhaps harsh handball followed later with another save from inisde the 6 yard area. Late in injury time, the homesters doubled the lead with a fierce shot which could not be helf gobbled up on the rebound.
Food and drink came to you - Tecate Light (3.9%) beer came to you and it was OK. Post match visit to Colectivo Mexican Cervecos, 7 mins walk away. Not quite as artesan as I first expected, but knowledgeable barstaff and a good range of independent beers (8 draught) make this a great place to visit. Colima's session IPA (Piedra Luisa) was the pick of the beers.
No sign of any programme for those of that ilk.

On the agenda:

dirtyleeds
Junior Team Sub

Sep 26, 2019, 10:22 AM

Post #4 of 5 (1725 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Great write up, thanks! I take it you were there late Jan? I'm in Belize Jan/Feb 2020 and my research led me to believe that the mid-season break between opening and closing parts of the season was a lot longer than this and so wasn't hopeful of a game, but if my dates are correct it sounds like there will still be football to watch in Jan/Feb next year!

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 3, 2019, 1:27 PM

Post #5 of 5 (1487 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dirtyleeds] Guatemala / Belize / Mexico [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Great write up, thanks! I take it you were there late Jan? I'm in Belize Jan/Feb 2020 and my research led me to believe that the mid-season break between opening and closing parts of the season was a lot longer than this and so wasn't hopeful of a game, but if my dates are correct it sounds like there will still be football to watch in Jan/Feb next year!

Yes, late January. As I recall, the fixtures appear on the Belize football federation facebook page, with venues, a couiple of weeks before.

On the agenda:

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3